Galapagos

spindrift

We went on the Xpedition in June of 2008 (and we'll be returning on a different itinerary next year). It was a great time of year to go, with the ocean water being a bit cooler and less rain than earlier in the year. The birds in residence also vary somewhat depending upon when you go, any time is good.

On 6/1/2021 at 12:05 AM, taxatty said:

You'll love it. It was the best of all of our cruises--a unique part of the world. You'll never spend less time on a ship during a cruise.

Funny that because our Silversea Galapagos cruise just happens to be the last cruise we went on and the least memorable.  People must not expect some wildlife extravaganza as you get in, say, South Georgia or Botswana or parts of Micronesia.  There are relatively few species here, many of them seasonal, and they come in twos and threes rather than in hundreds or thousands, apart from those supine marine iguanas.  We saw more and more varied birds in Paracas, Peru, in 30 minutes than we did in a week in Galapagos.  Of course it's historically significant, massively so, and a bucket list item for many.  

Edited by Fletcher

We are on the Aug 28 cruise.  We have been to Galapagos twice (once on Xpedition and once on Silversea) and loved it.  Primary reason though for this trip is that I think it is a cruise that will actually GO.  I am so tired of cancelling and rescheduling. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RachelG said:

We are on the Aug 28 cruise.  We have been to Galapagos twice (once on Xpedition and once on Silversea) and loved it.  Primary reason though for this trip is that I think it is a cruise that will actually GO.  I am so tired of cancelling and rescheduling. 

Ok, perfect person to ask.  Can you compare the two experiences for me.  I've sailed Celebrity in the past, Azamara and Seabourn, so I am familiar with those lines, not adverse to Xpedition ( instead of Flora) and Silversea Origin.  I understand they are 2 completley diifferent type ships.

Thanks in advance!

8 minutes ago, kimanjo said:

Ok, perfect person to ask.  Can you compare the two experiences for me.  I've sailed Celebrity in the past, Azamara and Seabourn, so I am familiar with those lines, not adverse to Xpedition ( instead of Flora) and Silversea Origin.  I understand they are 2 completley diifferent type ships.

Thanks in advance!

We have Flora booked, that and SS Origin are the same ship. Originally built for Celebrity then when RCCL took over SS, they moved one to SS. Rooms etc are exactly the same. When we booked, price was very similar.

1 hour ago, gogo65 said:

We have Flora booked, that and SS Origin are the same ship. Originally built for Celebrity then when RCCL took over SS, they moved one to SS. Rooms etc are exactly the same. When we booked, price was very similar.

I understand Flora and Origin, I'm looking for a comparison between Celebrity Expedition and their Silversea Galapagos (which I assume was on Silver Galapagos)?

8 hours ago, RachelG said:

We are on the Aug 28 cruise.

Be honest... it’s the only cruise where there is no risk of George leaving the excursion group, right?  😁😁😁

Hope you two have a great voyage!  I look forward to reading your take on the new ship, Silver Origin.

12 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

Be honest... it’s the only cruise where there is no risk of George leaving the excursion group, right?  😁😁😁

Hope you two have a great voyage!  I look forward to reading your take on the new ship, Silver Origin.

Not true!  He has gotten yelled at multiple times in the Galapagos for going off course. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, kimanjo said:

Thanks in advance!

When we did the xpedition, it was prior to Silversea being in the Galapagos, so it was really our only viable option.  The ship is very old, even older now and cabins are quite small and dark.  The expedition staff was fine, but food was definitely not good at all.  On Silversea, mind you this is the old Galapagos ship, not Origin, the cabins were nicer, though still very small, but not as dark.  The food was way better as was overall service and attitude of the staff.  We are very much looking forward to trying out Origin. 

• 3 weeks later...

We sailed the Silver Galapagos in Nov. 2019 and it was a wonderful experience. The naturalists were extremely knowledgeable, the service top notch, the food excellent (given the limitations of the Galapagos and Ecuadorian rules) and the ship was lovely. It made me sad to know that it was scheduled to be put out to pasture. That said, we're going back and have booked the Silver Origin for Nov. 2022. Enjoy!

Each itinerary has a few unique things, so you really have to decide which of those are more important to you.  When we went on Celebrity we deliberately scheduled in May with an itinerary that visited North Seymour Island – to see the blue-footed boobies do their mating dance.  That worked out perfectly, and we also got to see lots of frigate birds with their red pouches inflated.  But if you are going at a different time, when they will have left their nests, North Seymour isn't that interesting.

• Like 1

The iconic scenic spot in the Galapagos is Bartholme Island which is mainly why we those that itinerary.  It's great from the sea and also, if you have the stamina, to make the climb and view the whole panorama. (btw, you don't climb this pinnacle.)

DSC_0368.jpg

Edited by Fletcher
  • Like 1

On 6/5/2021 at 8:58 AM, Carol From California said:

We were supposed to go last December. The cruise of course was cancelled. We have rebooked for this December. Looking forward to it! 

Hi, Carol. What date in December do you sail in the Galapagos? We are on the December 11 embarkation. (Arriving into Quito a few days before that.)

fyi, Silverseas VP (Conrad Cornbrinkfor destinations & expedition voyages will be live on another platform (FB) Friday at noon EST to discuss the Silver Origin.  Conrad will share details about Silver Origin, our first-ever destination-specific ship to sail the Galapagos, and be available to answer your questions on our return to service to the region.

Edited by WesW