First post here, first time cruiser

PACD_JG

On 6/7/2021 at 7:26 PM, pris993 said:

It has been years since I did a 7 day cruise, so no way to compare off top of my head.  But thought I might give everyone a different perspective.  Cruise fares are actually cheaper today by comparison to many years ago.  In l989, we did our first Mediterranean cruise out of Venice to London - 12 days, 2 adults, we were booked in a "limited view" cabin, paid $7500 for the 2 of us, not including air,  any on board expenses.  Limited view was on the boat deck which meant we had a view between two life boats.   Today we could most likely get a mini suite for that price.  Happy cruising!!   

Factor in inflation and you got a REAL deal in 1989 compared to today.😉

5 hours ago, PACD_JG said:

So I want to spread my parents' ashes during this cruise, so I reached out to Princess, who emailed me this statement: "

• We are able to spread ashes on every cruise we offer.  However, ashes may not be spread in Alaskan waters.  There are ample opportunities to spread them in international waters during Alaska cruises but guests should be aware that this must take place outside Alaskan waters.

I thought international waters was 200 miles from shore, and I don't think that happens Vancouver-Whittier.  Does anybody know where these "ample opportunities" are?

Welcome. You can use the search box to find recent threads on many subjects. Here is a recent thread on spreading ashes at sea. Should answer your questions.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2782593-spreading-ashes-at-sea/

Edited by mtnesterz

1 hour ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Did not feel like a real deal, salaries where not that great back then, smile. 

Especially with teens, and you have not seen cruise cabins before - I would book a Balcony and an Inside.  We did this with our girls in 2000 and they weren't teens as yet.  I know people do it, but two in a cabin is enough IMO.  Those sofas are not good for sleeping anyone but a small child IMO.

• Like 2

To address the 2 rooms advice:  I priced it out and a balcony and an interior room directly across is indeed $954 cheaper than a mini-suite.  My wife had a conniption when I mentioned it.  My daughters will be 15 and 14 when this trip happens, but as you know - happy wife, happy life.

19 minutes ago, PACD_JG said:

My daughters will be 15 and 14 when this trip happens, but as you know - happy wife, happy life.

Four "adults" sharing one bathroom, three of whom are women? YOU take the inside cabin and let the women have the balcony room!

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, PACD_JG said:

My wife had a conniption when I mentioned it. 

As someone wrote to me on another thread:  Different Strokes, for Different Folks.  I think she needs to reflect on it some more and she might see the benefits.  Ah well.  You just need to introduce her to another couple that has done it with two cabins.  Failing that, book yourself and one daughter in the Inside and then ship that daughter over with the other two ladies and let them be.  I like that idea.  LOL.

• Like 3

On 6/1/2021 at 4:54 PM, PACD_JG said:

I'm a noob, so please be patient.  After watching a bunch of youtube videos, I purchased a 7-day Princess cruise from Vancouver to Whittier for late June 2022 on the Sapphire.  Since there are 2 adults and 2 teenagers, I got a mini-suite on the Dolphin Deck, starboard side (I know about the balcony having no cover and that others can look down on us).  My question is this: is $8512 (includes 2 premier beverage packages, 2  premier coffee and soda packages, wi-fi for 4 devices, and crew incentive for all).  Plus a $615 cash card after I cruise.  I have no idea if this is a good deal or not.  I read prices are higher due to demand, but how much would something like this have cost in 2019?  Just having a little buyer's remorse.

I hope you checked what the price would be if you booked directly with Princess.

If you decide the mini suite is not suitable, and that a balcony and inside cabin would be more suitable, you are still within the time frame to cancel and get a full refund.  You could then book different state rooms if you wished.

22 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Actually still can't understand how you might think a limited view cabin was a good deal in l989 for $7500.   By comparison, we did an 11 day cruise a few years ago with a mini suite type cabin for $3600; out of Rome to Athens with a stop in Israel.  Now that was a real good deal, unrest in Middle East, made prices drop.  We rarely book anything less than a mini suite, because we usually can get one for for between $4000-$5000 for 10 day cruise.   So by comparison prices today are far better for a far better cabin.  

4 hours ago, brisalta said:

I hope you checked what the price would be if you booked directly with Princess.

If you decide the mini suite is not suitable, and that a balcony and inside cabin would be more suitable, you are still within the time frame to cancel and get a full refund.  You could then book different state rooms if you wished.

Why would the OP need to check with Princess.  Princess won't have a better price than the TA and he can always cancel and book something different if prior to FP date.  Perhaps the OP found a discount TA and is beating the Princess price.  That would be my recommendation.

16 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Why would the OP need to check with Princess.  Princess won't have a better price than the TA and he can always cancel and book something different if prior to FP date.  Perhaps the OP found a discount TA and is beating the Princess price.  That would be my recommendation.

I  have seen travel agents with higher prices than if you purchased the exact same voyage from Princess.  If you are not double checking fares between travel agents and what the price is direct from Princes then you are being foolish.

• Thanks 1

Just now, brisalta said:

I  have seen travel agents with higher prices than if you purchased the exact same voyage from Princess.  If you are not double checking fares between travel agents and what the price is direct from Princes then you are being foolish.

Seems unconscionable, but admittedly I have read a report or two of such practice on here. 

I always know the Princess price when I start checking with a TA.  You are correct about checking prices before booking.  Princess' pricing and offers are always readily available online.

So Carnival lays out their minor policy plainly - essentially, no problem with booking separate room.  Can't readily find an online answer from Princess, and they are closed today.  If I had proof that it wasn't breaking a rule, the wife would be more amenable to it. - https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2544/~/minor-guest-policy

Also, I did use a TA.  Booking through Princess would have been $8512.  Booking through TA gives me a $615 cash card at the end of the cruise and an additional $50 onboard credit.  So far I have $450 onboard credit for the 4 of us, and once/if Carnival stock drops below 28, I'll get some more.

On 6/12/2021 at 7:59 AM, PACD_JG said:

To address the 2 rooms advice:  I priced it out and a balcony and an interior room directly across is indeed $954 cheaper than a mini-suite.  My wife had a conniption when I mentioned it.  My daughters will be 15 and 14 when this trip happens, but as you know - happy wife, happy life.

We’ve travelled (parents and two daughters) both in a mini suite as well as two separate rooms.  My preference was the two room option because of the extra bathroom!

But, if you decide to keep the mini suite, you can make it work!  Your daughters can participate in the youth program on board.  My daughters did as teens and it was great!  They hung out so much at the teen center (games, dinners, excursions, etc) that it felt like hubby and I were cruising by ourselves!  We ended having to insist that they at least had one meal a day with us in order just to see them.  They had a blast on that cruise and still have friends from it.

We also used the shower facilities at the spa/gym to ease the bathroom issues.  Not sure about the Sapphire (never been in) but we were on a ship that had a thermal spa.  We bought a pass for the week and one of us (after a workout) showered and dressed there.

Enjoy your trip with your family! Our girls are old enough that they have spouses so we travel in separate cabins all the time now!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PACD_JG said:

So far I have $450 onboard credit for the 4 of us, and once/if Carnival stock drops below 28, I'll get some more.

Feel free to buy more, but for those who don't know... the only thing it will get you is more dividend $. Owning 100 shares is the minimum & the maximum for getting shareholder OBC. Unless a couple each own 100 shares and book separate cabins.

• Like 1

Have you thought of a inside and one out side cabin on Plaza Deck.  There is plenty of quick food there close by for your teens to enjoy.  It would save money.  Also I think that you only have one sea day.  Would you really use the balcony that much?    Also when you are viewing glaciers, I found it best to be on a public deck in the back of the ship, so I got a three side view of it all.

I did only one Alaska cruise on Tahitian Princess (a smaller ship and different class of ship)  We were the first outside cabin after the Plaza.  We just love it.  The location was great .

Just a thought.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PACD_JG said:

So Carnival lays out their minor policy plainly - essentially, no problem with booking separate room.  Can't readily find an online answer from Princess, and they are closed today.  If I had proof that it wasn't breaking a rule, the wife would be more amenable to it. - https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2544/~/minor-guest-policy

Also, I did use a TA.  Booking through Princess would have been $8512.  Booking through TA gives me a $615 cash card at the end of the cruise and an additional $50 onboard credit.  So far I have $450 onboard credit for the 4 of us, and once/if Carnival stock drops below 28, I'll get some more.

Don't worry about breaking a rule.  You just have to have a parent booked into each cabin for reservation purposes when kids are under a certain age (16 I think, but you will know this).  Then, Passenger Services will gladly re-program the two Medallions necessary to put the teens together and the parents together.  It happens all the time.  You just need to be responsible parents and the teens as well as I suppose in a severe situation, Princess could put foot down and insist on a move.  It isn't difficult to manage.

Some adults do it as well because one couple will have status and the other are newbies.  That's technically a hack, but it doesn't seem to be an issue.

Edited by Steelers36

14 hours ago, PACD_JG said:

Ask your travel agent for accurate, up to date information 

What  others have done in the past and their speculation ….may not be helpful. 

enjoy your cruise. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks Katisdale - just assumed Canada would have something to say about that, but I guess not (my trip is through the east side of Vancouver Island).

I called Princess anonymously and asked about their policy.  Much different from Carnival - have to be 16 to be the head cheese in a room.  Wife is such a rule follower that it's best I drop this request and stick with the mini-suite (thanks to all for the advice).

Another question though - I did book a specific room, and did not choose a guaranteed cabin.  However, on my contract it states under special requests "any cabin upgrade."  I guess when I booked I was thinking if they want to put me in a regular suite vs mini-suite, I'd be all for that.  But after research they could offer me a different class (I'm ME)?  Do I have the option of saying no?

On 6/13/2021 at 7:46 AM, PACD_JG said:

So Carnival lays out their minor policy plainly - essentially, no problem with booking separate room.  Can't readily find an online answer from Princess, and they are closed today. 

See https://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/onboard/youth.jsp

What you are looking for is in the first section "Preparing for Your Cruise"

2 hours ago, PACD_JG said:

Thanks Katisdale - just assumed Canada would have something to say about that, but I guess not (my trip is through the east side of Vancouver Island).

I called Princess anonymously and asked about their policy.  Much different from Carnival - have to be 16 to be the head cheese in a room.  Wife is such a rule follower that it's best I drop this request and stick with the mini-suite (thanks to all for the advice).

Another question though - I did book a specific room, and did not choose a guaranteed cabin.  However, on my contract it states under special requests "any cabin upgrade."  I guess when I booked I was thinking if they want to put me in a regular suite vs mini-suite, I'd be all for that.  But after research they could offer me a different class (I'm ME)?  Do I have the option of saying no?

If you are happy with your cabin, mark only META upgrade.  That is an upgrade to the next category.  If you say any upgrade, Princess and passengers do not always see eye to eye to what a "better" cabin is.  Location, location, location.

AND mini-suites are not even close to a full suite.  Misnamed and Princess needs to change that.  

2 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

AND mini-suites are not even close to a full suite.  Misnamed and Princess needs to change that.  

But the next category up is a Suite, so a META upgrade is only satisfied by upgrade to a Suite.  That said, if you had a Mini on a ship with Window Suites, that would be an upgrade to Princess, but not necessarily to a passenger - especially if they want a balcony at all costs.