Will I have fun as a “solo” cruiser?

My travel partner found out she won’t be able to go on our cruise this October due to the fact that she will be in medical residency. She talked me into going by myself.  Any advice from past solo cruisers on what I can expect. 

You can expect to do what you want, and not what other people want to do. Thats the best part. 

There are plenty of people to talk to. I travel solo all the time.  Sometimes i will get a table in the dining room with other’s. Sit at the pool bar regularly, I always find a few of the same people will be there. So  making friends is easy.  I find i can get really lazy 

when no one is pushing you to do stuff.

You will have fun, your on a cruise. 😀

• Like 6

My experience (one cruise, on Serenade of the Seas) is that, although there are no special services for solo passengers, you'll be treated very well. At breakfast in the MDR, if you go there, expect to be seated at a table with two or three other parties that could be of any composition. In the MDR at dinner, you'll most likely be seated alone at a two-top and receive good service.

I travel solo at least 50% of the time.  I have found that I personally don’t like sailing on the Oasis class ships by myself.   It just seems to be harder to connect with people.  But I always have a great time on the other classes. 

But definitely do assigned dining vs My Time, as they will seat you with other singles.  That is the best way to meet up with others traveling solo.  

There are usually a few organized lunches or meet ups for solos, which are hit or miss. 

Check out the forum for solo travelers when you get a chance.

Oh, and keep checking your cruise price.  Sometimes they will offer special single rates closer to sailing.  With the best price guarantee, I believe you’d be able to get the difference back in OBC.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Hope RCI C&A doesn't screw up the 4x points coming to you.

YES!!!!!  I've got enough cruises solo and otherwise, to get me to Diamond Plus by September, 2022 if they don't mess them up!!!

But to answer the OP's question.  This is solely within your control.  It depends on your relationship with your partner.

Personally, I"ve gone on 2 solo cruises without my wife.  At the time, mostly to get to Diamond status so both my wife and I can enjoy it (I have more points in total than she does).  I wrote a live thread back in 2018.  I can definitely say traveling without my partner is different.  I missed her presence even though I talked to her every night (my only concession was that we stay in touch) via wi-fi.  I was able to manage through facetime with the internet access, but only barely.  As for having fun.  I had a blast.  I could go where I want, do what i want. 

First hint.  Make plans for yourself.  If i didn't have a plan, I ended up wandering, which is not always a bad thing, however the feeling I had when wandering Nassau was rudderless.  That reason could have been that I've visited Nassau so many times that I feel like I've done everything.  Because of that, I didn't commit to a cab because I didn't want to feel rudderless in a cab and end result was just me walking all over downtown pondering what to do.  Planning can be as simple as "Find a place for lunch".  or "Find a spot on the beach".  or, you could create an elaborate itinerary.  

Second Hint.  let the flow hit you.  Go to things you normally wouldn't go to.  Try new things.  Don't be afraid.  Meet new people.

Edited by Rogueperson
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Biker19 said:

Maybe.

Biker, who has yet to get his double points after a solo sailing despite several calls.

Sorry to here that!  I guess I should be thankful, that mine were fixed so easily. (That is something I always check when I get back - I don’t mind paying 200%, but you darn well better give me my double points! 😂)

• Like 1

As someone who cruises solo regularly (my first on Royal coming up in September)! - my best advice is to just be open to the new experience.  People on cruise ships are generally friendly and I find I can have as much or as little interaction with others as I please.  As a solo you are completely in charge of your schedule- want to sleep in? Want to stay up all night? Do you secretly love bingo or the water slides or art auctions but your partner hates that stuff...do it all.  You get to eat what you want, go on the shore excursions you want, watch the shows twice if you want because finding a seat for one in the theater is never a problem.

I love cruising with my husband, but I’m retired and he’s still enjoys his work.  Cruising, IMO is a safe, relatively economical vacation I fully enjoy as often as I can.  I think if you try it once you might find it as addicting as I do 😎  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Maybe.

Biker, who has yet to get his double points after a solo sailing despite several calls.

sorry to hear. I think I had to call after my first one and they fixed it in just a few minutes. Since then, they all post properly. 

The beauty of doing this on Royal is that there will be lots of different types of cruisers - multi-generation families, friends,  couples, solos - that you won't 'stick' out being alone.  Nobody really knows who is with who especially on a bigger ship and you can hide in that anonymity, much easier than on other ships/lines.   At night you should have plenty of options to see shows - which is basically a solo in a crowd experience.  Make safe plans off the ship doing things you enjoy - and if safety is a question excursions could be a good idea. If you don't want to eat with strangers- and it isn't always easy making conversation- ask for a table for one. Do not give up the dining room because of this. If eating alone is your thing people watch or bring a book or magazine.  What you should not pack are feelings of loneliness or discomfort- - try to start out being excited, enthusiastic etc.  Solo or not, being on a cruise ship after the past 18 months is a reason to celebrate. You have the health and the wealth to be there - use the opportunity to relax, discover, treat yourself!  Have a great time. 

• Like 2

I normally sail solo. I love it. I love quiet, so I spend quite a bit of time on my balcony, enjoying a book and the breeze. I have no problem eating by myself and it's nice being able to go where I want, when I want. At shows, it's quite easy to chat with passengers near me and I've met some great people. It's also nice to not have to share the bathroom!

The first time I went alone, I was a bit scared, but ended up having a blast. I hope you have a similar experience.