COVID test for reentry into the United States

Rob-Bob

We are from the U.S. and are traveling to Greece for the 7/25 Greek Isle cruise on the NCL Jade.  It looks like we need a negative COVID test to fly into Greece and fly back to the U.S. within 24 or 72 hours (confusing) depending on the test.  We are trying to figure out how to get the test on our return when we are on the cruise, get off and head to the airport.  NCL has no answers except "contact the airlines".  The airlines have no clue what the requirements are.  We are very concerned.

Does anyone have these answers or any suggestions on logistics and requirements?  Thanks.

1 hour ago, Rob-Bob said:

We are from the U.S. and are traveling to Greece for the 7/25 Greek Isle cruise on the NCL Jade.  It looks like we need a negative COVID test to fly into Greece and fly back to the U.S. within 24 or 72 hours (confusing) depending on the test.  We are trying to figure out how to get the test on our return when we are on the cruise, get off and head to the airport.  NCL has no answers except "contact the airlines".  The airlines have no clue what the requirements are.  We are very concerned.

Does anyone have these answers or any suggestions on logistics and requirements?  Thanks.

I’m on the same cruise, which is a fully vaccinated cruise. I thought the test wasn’t required for those who are fully vaccinated. So I think we’re OK. I also have heard of people who are cruising in other countries who get their test on the cruise ship before they leave the ship to meet these guidelines. They will have to accommodate all of us so I’m sure we’ll figure it out. 

Before you travel to the United States by air

All air passengers coming to the United States, including U.S. citizens and fully vaccinated peopleare required to have a negative COVID-19 test result no more than 3 days before travel or documentation of recovery  from COVID-19 in the past 3 months  before they board a flight to the United States. 

Per CDC guidelines.  Maybe the documentation of recovery is the vaccine poof?  Mine will be over 3 months though.

Check with your cruise line to see what they are providing. Also, check with your airline. Some airlines are providing testing options...I know United is.

I seriously doubt proof of recovery is accepted to avoid a test...

When you fly back to the USA you need a negative COVID Antigen test for which the sample has been taken within the 3 days prior to your flight.  If flying out of Athens it is possible to get a test at a local clinic which has an office right in the airport between Exits #2 and #3.  The last time I checked this site did antigen testing 24/7 but like everything that is always subject to change.   There is also a relatively new self-test called "BinaxNow."  You can Google it for information.  That test (approved by the CDC for entrance into the USA) must be bought here in the USA (before you leave home) and can be found at many pharmacies or online.  I think you have to do that test twice (starting a few days before your flight) and part of the test involves being online with a third party who verifies (via your phone camera) that you do everything right...and ultimately e-mails you the negative test results.  It is an interesting option :).

Hank

13 hours ago, Hlitner said:

There is also a relatively new self-test called "BinaxNow."  You can Google it for information.  That test (approved by the CDC for entrance into the USA) must be bought here in the USA (before you leave home) and can be found at many pharmacies or online.  I think you have to do that test twice (starting a few days before your flight) and part of the test involves being online with a third party who verifies (via your phone camera) that you do everything right...and ultimately e-mails you the negative test results.  It is an interesting option :).

Hank

I just got back from shopping and saw the Binax test at the grocery store's pharmacy. $23.99 and the box contains two tests. I did not take the time to read the box, but may look into it if the rules don't change before our trip.

12 minutes ago, marazul said:

I just got back from shopping and saw the Binax test at the grocery store's pharmacy. $23.99 and the box contains two tests. I did not take the time to read the box, but may look into it if the rules don't change before our trip.

I suspect that test kit will soon be widely available and the price is pretty good.  The downside is that you would need to take 2 tests per person (apparently on different days) and you would need a decent Internet connection to validate the testing process.  This is another of those situations that favors (in a big way) those with a working Smartphone.  I am still amazed at the number of CC posters who do not have or think they need a Smartphone for International travel.  I fear they may soon be in for a rude awakening.

By the way, Walmart sells the test (2 test kit) for $19.88 on their website.

Hank

Just a further note about the BinaxNow test.  I am not sure that the test we can buy at most pharmacies includes the necessary online supervision needed for the test results to be acceptable to airlines (at least United and AA) and the CDC for entrance back into the USA.  You may need to purchase the tests directly from a third party supervisory company such as emed.com who then includes the ability to go online, be supervised, and have your test results verified.  This is all very new so we will need to watch what happens in the next few weeks.  I have found that both Untied and AA (as of June 2) accept these tests (at least if they are supervised by e-med).   Emed.com charges $150 for 6 tests (it takes 2 tests per person).  Users would also need to install the NAVICA app on their Smartphones which integrates with the test results.   So as I was warning, if you do not have a working Smartphone it appears you could not use this process for reentry to the USA.

Hank

1 hour ago, tony s said:

I thought if vaccinated you don't need test returning...

Not at all true for Americans.  The CDC does not currently recognize vaccinations for folks flying into the USA.  They require a negative COVID Antigen or PCR test that has been taken within the 3 days prior to your flight.  We have been through the process twice since mid-March and it is a minor pain in the behind.  In one case we went to a hospital outpatient facility in Puerto Vallarta who administered the test and e-mailed results to our Smartphones within a few hours.  The 2nd time we were at an All Inclusive resort near Cancun and a nurse came into the resort (on a daily basis) and did the nasal swabs with her lab e-mailing the results within a few hours.  In both cases we needed to show those test results in order to board our flights home.

I do think it is ironic that the CDC does not currently accept vaccinations in lieu of testing but has also said those who are fully vaccinated and go on a cruise (out of the USA) do not need to be tested.

Hank

On 6/2/2021 at 8:50 AM, Rob-Bob said:

The country of Greece has a form you need to fill out before flying there.......the link states when flying into Greece that no test is needed if you have been fully vaccinated.  As for coming back into the states, yes, a test is needed.

Here is the link:

https://travel.gov.gr/#/

As for where to get your test, I am surprised the cruise line doesn't have more information for you.

The cruise I am sailing is on 7/8 and they are offering the test at the end of the cruise (on the ship).

Thank you.  I submitted form.

I am hoping the test us on ship before we get off to go home.  Someplace it does say they will at NCL expense.  Maybe by then being vaccinated will be enough to fly back to U.S.

20 hours ago, Rob-Bob said:

Thank you.  I submitted form.

I am hoping the test us on ship before we get off to go home.  Someplace it does say they will at NCL expense.  Maybe by then being vaccinated will be enough to fly back to U.S.

You need to directly contact NCL and ask the question.  As to the required Antigen test, the sample must be taken (and test performed) during the 3 days prior to your flight's departure back to the USA.  So if you were flying home on Saturday you would need to have the test done no earlier then Wednesday.  DW and have always had our test done 2 days prior to give us an extra day in case our flight's departure was delayed/canceled.  

Hank

If the NCL chat room can be trusted, the following is a conversation I had on-line last Friday. BTW, I am scheduled to sail on the Jade for Sept.

Me= (6/4/2021, 4:46:00 PM): If the USA still requires a covid test prior to returning, will NCL assist with this? If so, will we be charged for the test?

Dashawn (6/4/2021, 4:47:29 PM): No there will be no charge

Me=(6/4/2021, 4:48:09 PM): So NCL will assist with getting the tests done?

Dashawn (6/4/2021, 4:50:02 PM): That is correct.

Me=(6/4/2021, 4:50:13 PM): Thank you!

3 minutes ago, jomoin said:

If the NCL chat room can be trusted, the following is a conversation I had on-line last Friday. BTW, I am scheduled to sail on the Jade for Sept.

Me= (6/4/2021, 4:46:00 PM): If the USA still requires a covid test prior to returning, will NCL assist with this? If so, will we be charged for the test?

Assuming Dashawn is a NCL employee?

I think we would all feel better if there was as statement on the NCL website that explains what we can expect. I have gotten different answers to this question from NCL so I am not sure that the agents even understand what we are asking. This question is one that EVERYONE of us from the USA has so I would like to hope that there would be an efficient way to do this on the boat. If not, there will be a lot of unhappy Americans stuck changing their flights home at the last minute because we're going to end up relying on the airport testing which says a 24 hour turn around time. I have no problem paying for the test, I just want to be able to get in a line on the cruise ship on the second the last day and get the test taken.

On 6/8/2021 at 6:29 PM, jomoin said:

Thanks for posting this. From what I’ve read with other lines, I think this won’t be a problem for NCL people. 🤞They do have the Santorini day where they don’t dock until 12, that would honestly be the perfect time in the morning (if it’s a PCR test they’d have to do the day before). My daughter did one of the online companies when she returned to Hawaii for school in January. It was pretty easy and they had results in the promised time, but would not work for re-entry to US. You had to take the test with supervision on Zoom and overnight the sample. That’s not going to work on the ship. These ships are going to have lots of Covid tests, I’m not too worried. 

On 6/8/2021 at 9:40 PM, cfelbab said:

I think we would all feel better if there was as statement on the NCL website that explains what we can expect. I have gotten different answers to this question from NCL so I am not sure that the agents even understand what we are asking. This question is one that EVERYONE of us from the USA has so I would like to hope that there would be an efficient way to do this on the boat. If not, there will be a lot of unhappy Americans stuck changing their flights home at the last minute because we're going to end up relying on the airport testing which says a 24 hour turn around time. I have no problem paying for the test, I just want to be able to get in a line on the cruise ship on the second the last day and get the test taken.

I live in Utah and work for a school district. Our state then district implemented testing all athletes/high school after school activities in November and then “test to stay” in January  to stop disruptive quarantines if cases in a school (not from school mind you) reached a certain threshold. We used the Binax Now test. Super easy to do (I helped do a part, not the nose swab 😂) and you get results in 15 minutes, no refrigeration needed. I helped once and we were able to get a majority of a high school of 2000 done in maybe 2 hours. And they’re super cheap (if that’s an acceptable test, bet it is), so I bet they’ll be able to accommodate all of us quickly and easily, if they’re prepared. My only concern is being on NCL Jade for first sailing, they may not be prepared if no one thinks of it. However, I’ve heard that they’re starting to change protocols to add testing on fully vaxed cruises, even if not required, which means they’d have plenty on hand. 

25 minutes ago, jas283a said:

Thanks for posting this. From what I’ve read with other lines, I think this won’t be a problem for NCL people. 🤞They do have the Santorini day where they don’t dock until 12, that would honestly be the perfect time in the morning (if it’s a PCR test they’d have to do the day before). My daughter did one of the online companies when she returned to Hawaii for school in January. It was pretty easy and they had results in the promised time, but would not work for re-entry to US. You had to take the test with supervision on Zoom and overnight the sample. That’s not going to work on the ship. These ships are going to have lots of Covid tests, I’m not too worried. 

Good morning, just a reminder, Santorini is a Tender Port....nobody docks there. Not sure if that matters when it comes to testing.

6 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Good morning, just a reminder, Santorini is a Tender Port....nobody docks there. Not sure if that matters when it comes to testing.

I was referring to testing on the ship. On my itinerary, the ship gets into Santorini at noon and it’s the last stop before disembarkation, so it would be nice to be tested and get it over with in the morning before we enter port. I’m sure it will be different with other lines and itineraries.