Will you cruise in 2021 with NO vaccine but WILL wear a mask?

I posted this in a different thread but I feel like it got lost in the bickering...

With RCL supposedly saying they will not mandate vaccines, obviously there are people who feel very strongly on both sides of this. For those of you who thinks Royal is making the right decision here, I have a question. And I am legitimately interested in your perspective.

How many people here

1) think it is the correct move to start cruises without any vaccine mandate whatsoever (not talking about months down the road, but for the first 2-3 months of sailing. July-Oct timeframe

2) will not cruise if you have to wear a mask, or if you will cruise you fully intend to follow all mask rules and aren't going to "skirt the rules", and

3) intended to cruise on Royal between now and Nov1.

There are many people celebrating their "no vaccine, no mask, freedom" perspective, but no vaccine means masks, social distancing, capacity limits, etc.

I get the feeling many people against vaccine mandates are also very strongly against masks. I just wonder, how many here are arguing viewpoints that may never come to fruition. If you legitimately want no vaccine mandate, plan to fully follow mask rules, and want to sail right away I want to hear from you.

Or are the people celebrating this actually not sailing anytime soon and just making things harder for those that want vaccine mandates?

• Like 1

I think I have been healthier these last 15 months, at least in regard to simple things like colds.  Around here, the winter drags on for so long, many people eventually get the crud that just lasts until Summer.  This last winter was great.  I don't know anyone who got the flu, and colds were way down too.  I got one, and actually got over it in a reasonable time.  (two feet of snow, spent to much time helping everyone dig out)  Long story short, I think I will continue to wear a mask, in certain circumstances for a while, regardless of what the rules are.  We just flew, and neither of us came down with anything.  I think the mask may help in some circumstances, if for no other reason than it keeps you from touching your nose.

• Like 5

Just now, Yorkvillain said:

Oh good another thread on this friendly topic. 

Only if it devolves into bickering (which it will but maybe I learn something from my fellow CC peeps before that). I like to think I am open to others perspectives and am genuinely interested as long as it's real conversation and not pointless political back and forth blaming

For me being a cruiser from the Uk

1- I think they should Vaccinate the crew and everyone unless medically or underage exempt. Work out the procedures, issues whilst making it safe. Then they can start to ease mandates. 

2-rules are rules if i have to wear a mask i will. Worn it to protect my mum and others. I am healthy myself but feel i need to protect others and not be selfish.

3-i am booked, however depends on a lot of factors. At the mo being UK europe is out of bounds for holidays. Our insurance will not cover us so will RC give me the option to lift and shift, even though the cruise will be going ahead. Basically a lot of things need to line up to go this year.

My wife and I are vaccinated.  She can do whatever she wants, and cruises without me sometimes.  For me, I won’t cruise again until it’s fun.  Wearing a mask everywhere isn’t fun.  Not being welcome in my favorite ports is not fun.  

1.  Cruise lines are private companies and should be able to run their businesses anyway they like.  If they want to mandate vaccination, they should be able to do it.  They can also move their business somewhere that more closely aligns with their beliefs.  

2.  Will not.

3.  Yes but moved it to March next year.  

• Like 1

Had hoped for vaccinated cruise for our October booking. I think that was a better option for first few months. Luckily cruise was canceled and I didn't have to decide if I wanted to go back to masks. If we hadn’t had a cruise already booked, to be honest I would just have waited to book, vaccinated cruises or not. We did book for February and did Lift and Shift for next October. 

1 hour ago, Cigar King said:

I think I have been healthier these last 15 months, at least in regard to simple things like colds.  Around here, the winter drags on for so long, many people eventually get the crud that just lasts until Summer.  This last winter was great.  I don't know anyone who got the flu, and colds were way down too.  I got one, and actually got over it in a reasonable time.  (two feet of snow, spent to much time helping everyone dig out)  Long story short, I think I will continue to wear a mask, in certain circumstances for a while, regardless of what the rules are.  We just flew, and neither of us came down with anything.  I think the mask may help in some circumstances, if for no other reason than it keeps you from touching your nose.

We've been much healthier too. We were at Menard's today, and I didn't wear my mask; still feels strange, but trying to take the plunge and trust the science.  That said, I can see down the road times where I will mask-up, airport, on the plane, etc.

I think going on a cruise without some vaccination requirement in place is not a good idea.  Unvaccinated people can carry the virus and infect others very easily.  Vaccinated people, well....I'll let these guys explain it:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/science/science-briefs/fully-vaccinated-people.html

I want to sail with people who have the lowest chance of getting infected and/or passing it along, and that means a large majority of them need to be vaccinated.  

As far as masking is concerned, the way things are going right now, that may not be necessary if over 90% of the passengers are vaccinated. 

HOWEVER,  cruising during normal flu season, I think I'll wear a mask, since I hadn't been on a cruise in years during those months where I didn't get some kind of respiratory virus at some point during my travels.  I will probably always be masking up on airplanes and cruise ships during flu season.

By the way, airplanes are VERY quiet now with people wearing masks.  No one is talking; very peaceful.

3 minutes ago, pcur said:

I think going on a cruise without some vaccination requirement in place is not a good idea. 

This was the whole reason I made the post...so many people grandstanding about this issue, but nobody actually seems to be in the "not vaxxed but will cruise soon" camp. They are very vocal about it, but none seem to be standing up and saying they intend to cruise in the short term.

Which just means anyone cruising in the next 2-3 months will end up on a cruise with mostly vaxxed people, but without any of the benefits of that since no one was able to certify they were vaxxed.

Just now, jrapps said:

This was the whole reason I made the post...so many people grandstanding about this issue, but nobody actually seems to be in the "not vaxxed but will cruise soon" camp. They are very vocal about it, but none seem to be standing up and saying they intend to cruise in the short term.

Which just means anyone cruising in the next 2-3 months will end up on a cruise with mostly vaxxed people, but without any of the benefits of that since no one was able to certify they were vaxxed.

I'm one of those people that doesn't mind wearing a mask.  Here in CA it's a way of life:  we've been doing it since March 2020.  So, I'll just mask up if I have to.  

I'm in the "vaxxed and will cruise starting the end of October" camp.  I have an RCCL cruise booked in November.  I anticipate most cruisers will be vaxxed, since both cruises leave from CA and proving vaccination might be required.  I'll be wearing a mask in any case, like I do anyway when I'm around a lot of people.  My friends and family in CA and MI all do the same:  CA because it's life as usual stuff now, and MI because they have unvaccinated little ones for the next several months.

I flew to MI for a visit in mid-May, stayed for 6 days, and flew home.  No one got sick, but we masked up in public (even in parks and at the zoo), and I wore a mask the whole time in airports and on planes.  This was my "test run" for cruising.

I have two cruises coming up ...

One on Adventure four adults all vaccinated.   The second on allure in September five adults one teen three under twelve.   

I am not upset about Royal not requiring vaccines and and am not upset with the vaccine passport ban... 

That being said, I straight up asked my husband when we get to the ship in September will you let them put that stick up your nose just so you don't have to show your vaccination proof and he said hell no.  

Everyone in our party other than the three Littles are vaccinated, we still wear masks where required (two locations today required them two didn't)but won't when we don't have to.  I know some will disagree with me on this next part but I am allowed my opinion. 

The Littles will follow mask requirements but they shouldn't have to as has been proven there is a very low percentage (.05%) of transmission via children and most(yes I know not all) are asymptomatic when they do get it.

I am so excited to finally get our grandkids first cruise in... this is the third reschedule from March of last year.