Texas Gov. Greg Abbott joins the party...

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

The cruise lines operate under federal guidance not state guidance.  The only penalty is losing state funding therefore it only pertains to those who recess are funding. 

I'm afraid it may be more complicated than that.  I think the best hope is the Federal Law exceptionI would imagine that the port receives State funds, but it also can result in the loss of a business license or permit: 

SECTION 14.  Subchapter A, Chapter 161, Health and Safety
  Code, is amended by adding Section 161.0085 to read as follows:
         Sec. 161.0085.  COVID-19 VACCINE PASSPORTS PROHIBITED. (a)  
  In this section, "COVID-19" means the 2019 novel coronavirus
  disease.
         (b)  A governmental entity in this state may not issue a
  vaccine passport, vaccine pass, or other standardized
  documentation to certify an individual's COVID-19 vaccination
  status to a third party for a purpose other than health care or
  otherwise publish or share any individual's COVID-19 immunization
  record or similar health information for a purpose other than
  health care.
         (c)  A business in this state may not require a customer to
  provide any documentation certifying the customer's COVID-19
  vaccination or post-transmission recovery on entry to, to gain
  access to, or to receive service from the business. A business that
  fails to comply with this subsection is not eligible to receive a
  grant or enter into a contract payable with state funds.
         (d)  Notwithstanding any other law, each appropriate state
  agency shall ensure that businesses in this state comply with
  Subsection (c) and may require compliance with that subsection as a
  condition for a license, permit, or other state authorization
  necessary for conducting business in this state.
         (e)  This section may not be construed to:
               (1)  restrict a business from implementing COVID-19
  screening and infection control protocols in accordance with state
  and federal law to protect public health; or
               (2)  interfere with an individual's right to access the
  individual's personal health information under federal law.

2 minutes ago, MrMarc said:

I'm afraid it may be more complicated than that.  I think the best hope is the Federal Law exceptionI would imagine that the port receives State funds, but it also can result in the loss of a business license or permit: 

SECTION 14.  Subchapter A, Chapter 161, Health and Safety
  Code, is amended by adding Section 161.0085 to read as follows:
         Sec. 161.0085.  COVID-19 VACCINE PASSPORTS PROHIBITED. (a)  
  In this section, "COVID-19" means the 2019 novel coronavirus
  disease.
         (b)  A governmental entity in this state may not issue a
  vaccine passport, vaccine pass, or other standardized
  documentation to certify an individual's COVID-19 vaccination
  status to a third party for a purpose other than health care or
  otherwise publish or share any individual's COVID-19 immunization
  record or similar health information for a purpose other than
  health care.
         (c)  A business in this state may not require a customer to
  provide any documentation certifying the customer's COVID-19
  vaccination or post-transmission recovery on entry to, to gain
  access to, or to receive service from the business. A business that
  fails to comply with this subsection is not eligible to receive a
  grant or enter into a contract payable with state funds.
         (d)  Notwithstanding any other law, each appropriate state
  agency shall ensure that businesses in this state comply with
  Subsection (c) and may require compliance with that subsection as a
  condition for a license, permit, or other state authorization
  necessary for conducting business in this state.
         (e)  This section may not be construed to:
               (1)  restrict a business from implementing COVID-19
  screening and infection control protocols in accordance with state
  and federal law to protect public health; or
               (2)  interfere with an individual's right to access the
  individual's personal health information under federal law.

It's not like this is the first time this has been posted. I sure will be glad when cruising resumes so all this rehashing of a rehash goes away. All these armchair quarterbacks. Time to just "do it".

This weekend from nassau? Let's talk how the restarts are going and positive. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

It's not like this is the first time this has been posted. I sure will be glad when cruising resumes so all this rehashing of a rehash goes away. All these armchair quarterbacks. Time to just "do it".

This weekend from nassau? Let's talk how the restarts are going and positive. 

No one is making you read it, so why are you complaining?  There are plenty of other threads not dealing with this subject.  This one is very specific.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, sept10dsm said:

I know they're forcing but since it's still emergency use, I'm not  sure how it will go.  And somewhat odd, the FDA, CDC and dr F. were all being questioned last week before congress or the senate.  They were each asked the percentage of their dept who have taken it, they are were around 50 percent. So that is telling.  Also, many many nursing home employees are not taking it.  And how the govt is bribing, pot, donuts, beer etc. All things for unhealthy lives.  

Except that an EUA is a form of approval, experimental is a totally different category.  As I see it, the politicians have gotten involved and made a medical question political.  That is how Doctors and institutions that were looked at as authoritative, knowledgeable, expert and most qualified suddenly changed last February.  Now we are looking to politically approved, but previously unknown sources as more knowledgeable than everything and everyone that had been the most knowledgeable for decades in the past.  It is totally baffling to me.   No the only correct experts are those that agree with peoples' political views and those that don't have suddenly become idiots or involved in some great worldwide conspiracy. The people who are taking it or not taking it can be more predicted by their political views than the level of their knowledge.

Edited by MrMarc
add though
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

But I thought we learned here on CC that anyone who doesn't want the vaccine is a selfish, self serving, smelly, Walmart shopping, anti-science, uneducated, Republican.  Surely you must have misunderstood their flag waving and signs.

Don't forget Deplorable.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

Unless one is under contract, employment in the state of Texas is considered 'at will'  and therefore employedrs can, will, and have terminated employees for anything.  

The Methodist nurses across the region are upset that they must take the vaccine to remain employed by Methodist, but the hospital group will win this one. I have a feeling it is why the we're seeing it in the news as they stand on the street corners waving flags and signs. They seek sympathy from the masses. 

Well I think they could win and I hope they do.  They could easily get jobs elsewhere as they work in one of the world’s largest medical centers, and as many other doctors and nurses unwilling to get the vaccine have done.  This is obviously about principle for them not sympathy.  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Cafedumonde said:

Well I think they could win and I hope they do.  They could easily get jobs elsewhere as they work in one of the world’s largest medical centers, and as many other doctors and nurses unwilling to get the vaccine have done.  This is obviously about principle for them not sympathy.  

Agree, also with many it's Choice. With 30% all US Military has declined Vaccine including 40% of US Marines. Heads of CDC, NIH and Fauci testified saying only only half their Workers/Staff have decided to get it. Also Parents of 50+ % US Kids said they also have no plan on getting kids Vaccinated. Even with those the numbers of Total Vaccinated and the high numbers with Natural Immunity we are closing/Reaching Herd Immunity. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

I'm not sure where they would port from. Princess trued to make a go of it from the Port of Houston. They left but I'm not sure why. Either the port fees or a lack of bookings. I'm not sure. The point is, the cruiselines have a choice. either the Port of Houston or the Port of Galveston. For some reason, both Carnival & Royal have selected the island. Yes... the island. Most people do not realize that Galveston is an island that is also a city that has a port. 

But the dredging of the Buffalo Bayou and Galveston Bay back in 1910 to open a 'ship channel' is a fascinating story and read.  It changed the landscape of shipping and left the Port of Galveston as a second choice. 

https://canalcartage.com/canal-cartage-company/the-interesting-history-behind-port-of-houston-texas/#:~:text=The Houston Ship Channel was created by dredging,45 feet deep%2C and over 50 miles long.

The Bayport cruise terminal (port of Houston) was a huge bust, it still was far from the airports, plus there weren’t hotels or things to do close by like there are in Galveston, but most importantly they couldn’t get the ships in and out of the ship channel during low tide. Princess had a ship that was stuck in the port overnight at least once. Princess and NCL weren’t there long but were given all sorts of incentives to be there, including waiving rent and docking fees as the City thought the terminal would boost the economy and jobs in Houston. It is no longer an option at all. They dismantled and sold the gangway system years ago and the port is now a container and auto terminal.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, MrMarc said:

So a Government restriction is considered good for freedom?  It is an inside out world.  What happened with wanting businesses to have whatever rules they wanted, you know, that free market stuff we heard so much about last summer?

Agreed.  Let the free market work itself out instead of imposing yet another restriction.

23 hours ago, graphicguy said:

That's not "a thing".  May want to reassess where you're getting your information.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/other/can-businesses-ask-proof-of-covid-19-vaccination-experts-explain-hipaa/ar-AAKnqir

When  the legislation was passed the LGBT community was pressing for the privacy part of this legislation to prevent discrimination against people with HIV/AIDS in both the public and private sectors.

I understand if someone is very concerned about their health risks with getting COVID, take your precautions. I am ready to accept the risks. But don’t judge me for getting on with my life or keep me from enjoying life, including all the risks it involves.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

Agree, also with many it's Choice. With 30% all US Military has declined Vaccine including 40% of US Marines. Heads of CDC, NIH and Fauci testified saying only only half their Workers/Staff have decided to get it. Also Parents of 50+ % US Kids said they also have no plan on getting kids Vaccinated. Even with those the numbers of Total Vaccinated and the high numbers with Natural Immunity we are closing/Reaching Herd Immunity. 

And I recently read that even West Point allows for recovered.  Anyone deciding to get this should test for antibodies as well as checking to see if a current no symptom case.  It's time that natural/recovered are recognized.  The only thing it seems recovered are good for is the recovered blood donations.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, MrMarc said:

Sec. 161.0085.  COVID-19 VACCINE PASSPORTS PROHIBITED. (a)     In this section, "COVID-19" means the 2019 novel coronavirus   disease

Nice. A well defined law. Just have to ask if you have had a shot or two to protect infection from SARS-CoV-2 🙂 

Nice loophole.

21 minutes ago, RedIguana said:

Nice. A well defined law. Just have to ask if you have had a shot or two to protect infection from SARS-CoV-2 🙂 

Nice loophole.

I agree, maybe even ask for a medical release form. That's what happen when they pass laws as a knee jerk reaction and don't actually consider what they are trying to accomplish and then thoughtfully exploring ways to reach that goal.