Texas Gov. Greg Abbott joins the party...

3 hours ago, Plum Happy said:

is a federal law that required the creation of national standards to protect sensitive patient health information from being disclosed without the patient’s consent or knowledge. 

**This is all you need to know about the law.  If you show your CDC card confirming you have been vaccitinated, you aren't violating HIPPA.  

HIPPA was established for those with access to your medical records, doctor, nurses and those that access the data working for medical hospitals, clinics and doctor offices.

Correct. Vaccine passports do not implicate HIPAA but may violate various STATE medical record privacy laws, etc.

1 minute ago, ChutChut said:

Only if the FL law conflict is resolved.

Oh....it's resolved...probably already.  Carnival, NCL and Celebrity have all pretty much said they want a resolution of some sort.  But, there is no legal standing with FL to stop them from cruising.  

It's just a matter of how the Gov's office wants to frame it to make it look like he got his way.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I have cruised from Galveston before and intend to again but getting to and from Galveston is a pain in the butt.

I'm in OH.  If I have to fly to Galveston, Miami, FLL, Jamaica, St Martin, etc...the cost is about the same.  I do think what I'm assuming is a recovering Galveston Waterfront area, is much more inviting than any of the others (with the possible exception of Jamaica, where you can get a pretty nice all inclusive pre/post-cruise resort).

8 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I'm in OH.  If I have to fly to Galveston, Miami, FLL, Jamaica, St Martin, etc...the cost is about the same.  I do think what I'm assuming is a recovering Galveston Waterfront area, is much more inviting than any of the others (with the possible exception of Jamaica, where you can get a pretty nice all inclusive pre/post-cruise resort).

Galveston is so far from Houstons airports.  After flying to Houston the last thing I want is an hours Uber to Galveston.  I'm going to do it but it is an annoyance.  

• Like 3

Just now, Tree_skier said:

Galveston is so far from Houstons airports.  After flying to Houston the last thing I want is an hours Uber to Galveston.  I'm going to do it but it is an annoyance.  

Totally understand.  Where do you park if you drive to the cruise port?  I know I stayed at one of the new(er) hotels down by the water, next to the Walmart and I didn't see any sort of parking facilities around there.

6 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Totally understand.  Where do you park if you drive to the cruise port?  I know I stayed at one of the new(er) hotels down by the water, next to the Walmart and I didn't see any sort of parking facilities around there.

I've never driven there.  I've flown in and Ubered.  

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Oh....it's resolved...probably already.  Carnival, NCL and Celebrity have all pretty much said they want a resolution of some sort.  But, there is no legal standing with FL to stop them from cruising.  

It's just a matter of how the Gov's office wants to frame it to make it look like he got his way.

NCL's Frank Del Rio seems confident they can work something out with the governor.  They've just announced fully vaccinated ships leaving out of Miami. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, livingonthebeach said:

NCL's Frank Del Rio seems confident they can work something out with the governor.  They've just announced fully vaccinated ships leaving out of Miami. 

Yeah....I saw his video. My NCL cruise out of Jamaica was canceled.  Was going to slip over to the NCL Gem, but that was canceled, too.  So, I've written NCL off (still waiting for my refund) and moved on to the Celebrity Edge next month but am looking at Royal Cruises for either a winter cruise, or maybe next year. 

NCL and Carnival are going to sail out of FL with 100% COVID vaccines required.  Celebrity is sailing at 95% COVID Vaccines required out of FL and the Caribbean.  Not sure what Disney is doing, though.

5 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Yeah....I saw his video. My NCL cruise out of Jamaica was canceled.  Was going to slip over to the NCL Gem, but that was canceled, too.  So, I've written NCL off (still waiting for my refund) and moved on to the Celebrity Edge next month but am looking at Royal Cruises for either a winter cruise, or maybe next year. 

NCL and Carnival are going to sail out of FL with 100% COVID vaccines required.  Celebrity is sailing at 95% COVID Vaccines required out of FL and the Caribbean.  Not sure what Disney is doing, though.

From Disney's site:

COVID-19 Vaccination: In order to sail, Guests 18 years of age and older must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, as defined by the National Health Service (NHS). The NHS currently defines “fully vaccinated” as 7 days after the final dose. Disney Cruise Line will contact Guests prior to sailing with instructions on how to show proof of this vaccination status.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, livingonthebeach said:

From Disney's site:

COVID-19 Vaccination: In order to sail, Guests 18 years of age and older must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, as defined by the National Health Service (NHS). The NHS currently defines “fully vaccinated” as 7 days after the final dose. Disney Cruise Line will contact Guests prior to sailing with instructions on how to show proof of this vaccination status.

This is for their UK sailings. No word from Disney yet on sailings from FL. They will be the last ones to jump into this.

45 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

There are many cruise parking facilities across the street from the terminals, There is a massive parking garage being built alongside the new terminal (much like Miami) 

What I find interesting  about both Abbott and DeSantis  they both keep repeating  over and over how we have to get government out of interfering with private business / enterprise. But yet they are both doing the opposite. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, not-enough-cruising said:

There are many cruise parking facilities across the street from the terminals, There is a massive parking garage being built alongside the new terminal (much like Miami) 

I don't think I must have been paying much attention.  I just took a taxi from my hotel to the port and didn't both to look around.  LOL!

1 hour ago, ChutChut said:

How so? It appears modeled after Florida's law. Vaccine verifications are prohibited but masks, testing, etc. aren't. Only "better" thing is no fine - just possible business loss and loss of license, etc.

The TX law ONLY applies to state government offices and state funded entities, NOT private business. 

1 minute ago, Tony O said:

What I find interesting  about both Abbott and DeSantis  they both keep repeating  over and over how we have to get government out of interfering with private business / enterprise. But yet they are both doing the opposite. 

Abbott is not interfering in PRIVATE business at all. Only state government offices and state funded entities. 

25 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

From Disney's site:

That only applies to the UK cruises.

4 minutes ago, Tony O said:

Both are not Republicans in the traditional sense, but in the new government controlled private industry sense.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Abbott is not interfering in PRIVATE business at all. Only state government offices and state funded entities. 

No, there was a new law signed yesterday.  Its similar to Flordia's, but it has an exclusion for companies following Federal law, so perhaps it won't apply to the cruise lines

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ArthurUSCG said:

That only applies to the UK cruises.

Yes -- looked again -- you're correct.  They have announced a test cruise out of PC on June 29 on Disney Dream and have the following requirement:

"All test cruises must sail with volunteers who are at least 18 years old and who agree to post-trip testing and sample collection."

According to this article in Travel and Leisure, they have not yet finalized their vaccine policy for cruises out of the US. 

https://www.travelandleisure.com/travel-news/disney-cruise-line-approved-by-cdc-for-test-cruising

2 minutes ago, MrMarc said:

No, there was a new law signed yesterday.  Its similar to Flordia's, but it has an exclusion for companies following Federal law, so perhaps it won't apply to the cruise lines

If so, that makes sense.  I wish Florida had done the same thing.  It would have eliminated all this confusion. 

25 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

I don't think Disney cares that much about sailing in 2021, they are gearing up for 2022 cruises.

Actually I'm pretty sure the Dream will still in mid August. Their test cruise is June29th. They had previously cancelled thru July. Today they canceled the first 2 sailings of August thru Aug9th instead of the whole month. 

Every indication is that the intend to proceed and just make sure they have enough time to finish the test cruise and submit the appropriate paperwork.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MrMarc said:
10 minutes ago, MrMarc said:

Screenshot_20210608-114737_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1