Enforced excursions or not?

Werangels

There is no mention because it is only a rumor floating around out there in the internet cloud. There is no decision regarding holding passengers captive to ships tours at this time. I suppose it could happen. I suppose cruising could also get shut down between now and restart time. Personally, if there were a tour out there that looked interesting and was refundable, I wouldn't hesitate to book. 

• Like 1

"Boomerone" posted on May 25 on a Pursuit roll call regarding a discussion they had with Azamara on the question.  As of then, AZ had indicated more info to follow by July 28.

• Like 1

I think it will be determined by what a port requires.  The Celebrity Millennium which is currently the first sailing for X has stops in Aruba Curaçao and Barbados.

Barbados requires ship excursion in order to get off the ship.  In Aruba & Curaco you can get off without a ship tour.  Clearly at this point the final decision is made by the port not the cruise line. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jelayne said:

I think it will be determined by what a port requires.  The Celebrity Millennium which is currently the first sailing for X has stops in Aruba Curaçao and Barbados.

Barbados requires ship excursion in order to get off the ship.  In Aruba & Curaco you can get off without a ship tour.  Clearly at this point the final decision is made by the port not the cruise line. 

Very good point.  Thanks.

Different cruise lines are making different policies on this issue.  Windstar has decreed only ship excursions (uproar on their board).  Oceania has told a connected CC member that they will allow DIY.  Thankfully Azamara is no longer beholden to corporate overlords, so they are free to make their own decision – let's hope they copy Oceania, not Windstar!

• Like 9

What concerns me is that different countries will have different policies on who can go ashore and how.  Even with country intensive cruises each port many be able to enforce its own  local regulations, therefore to keep things simple the cruise line may well decided to  allow only those on the ships excursions to go ashore.  This would not only give them more control over possible Covid outbreaks but by forcing you to take their over priced excursions they could re-coup some of their loses from the past 18 months.  

As a person who likes to go ashore independently I sincerely hope that this will not be the case but with a growing  pent-up demand for cruises I fear it many be a possibilty for the next year or so.  

• Like 1

On 6/8/2021 at 1:32 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

Different cruise lines are making different policies on this issue.  Windstar has decreed only ship excursions (uproar on their board).  Oceania has told a connected CC member that they will allow DIY.  Thankfully Azamara is no longer beholden to corporate overlords, so they are free to make their own decision – let's hope they copy Oceania, not Windstar!

I have a Windstar cruise booked. So far not booked a tour.of the several ports I am going too.should of cruise celebrity.