Change in Luggage Tag for disembarkation procedure?

Alphen

Cannot remember having seen this discussed before, but could not help noticing that new text has been added to the luggage tag, indicating it has to remain attached to your luggage for disembarkation also. This was not the case when we last cruised in the fall of 2019.

Luggage Tag change.jpg

Interesting.  You’re right. In the past, they issued different tags for disembarkation with a part you kept.

It will save paper, that’s for sure 😉 

6 minutes ago, kazu said:

It will save paper, that’s for sure

True but our tags barely make it from home TO the ship (even when we shipping taped them to death).. I cannot see them making it back home

• Like 1

That is new.  I just bought some luggage tags to fit cruise ship boarding passes. They are handy dandy, cheap and are in addition to your normal luggage tag, easy on, easy off and will keep that boarding pass intact.  

The brand I got was Port & Sea Cruise Club and I am impressed with the durability for the very low price I paid

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, rucrazy said:

True but our tags barely make it from home TO the ship (even when we shipping taped them to death).. I cannot see them making it back home

We laminate ours - you can buy 3 sheets at the Dollar Store here for $1.25.  Just press and it’s done.  The tags will endure anything 😉 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, rucrazy said:

After lamination how do you attach to the luggage?

We laminate them, press a hole through and attach with reusable ty-reps, they even survive air travel sometimes 😁

Edited by Alphen
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, rucrazy said:

After lamination how do you attach to the luggage?

We just use a one hole bunch (like you use for papers), make a hole and use the plastic ties to attach them.  

Edited to say, sorry I didn’t realize Alphen had answered you 😔 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, kazu said:

sorry I didn’t realize Alphen had answered you

My blind grandfather used to ask 3 people the same question about money and hoped he got the same answer at least twice!.. it's all good I appreciate your responses

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

But disembarkation tags were always color coded indicating your disembarkation group.  How will that work if we recycle embarkation tags?

Maybe  it will be the color coded tags AND the luggage tags, the latter maybe to better trace luggage owners, just guessing...

1 minute ago, Crazy For Cats said:

The problem with that is that I print my tags in B&W.

There is no information on the luggage tag that requires the color, colors differ by ship, so as long as you hand your luggage at the right ship (in case there is more than one DAM ship alongside), you will be fine 😉

Yes but they use colors for disembarkation and they don't know your disembarkation group until you complete the disembarkation form.  Embarkation colors relate to floor and/or room category.  And we also print ours in B&W.

7 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

Yes but they use colors for disembarkation and they don't know your disembarkation group until you complete the disembarkation form.  Embarkation colors relate to floor and/or room category.  And we also print ours in B&W.

Correct, but if the procedure remains the same, they will issue you the disembarkation envelope, containing the color coded tags, so no printing involved, other than your initial luggage tag.

The embarkation differences in deck and forward or aft, are indicated in letters, not in colors. The colors only differ by ship, not by deck or category. If you are in 4010 on a Vista ship, you will find the indication of 4 and F on your luggage tag, indicating deck and forward section.

In the attached example, the color is the same for the entire ship, next to the cabin number, the figure and letter indicate the deck (deck 4) and the location, F for forward and A for aft.

Tag2.png

Edited by Alphen

Just now, Heartgrove said:

Could it have something to do with contact tracing for Covid?

Maybe, or luggage tracing in general. Will be much easier to trace (missing) luggage with uniform looking tags, so name of the owner can be found in the same way and place on the tag.

32 minutes ago, Alphen said:

There is no information on the luggage tag that requires the color, colors differ by ship, so as long as you hand your luggage at the right ship (in case there is more than one DAM ship alongside), you will be fine 😉

I could be wrong but I seem to recall when taking an upsell that we reprinted our luggage tags and that the upsell stateroom was a different color.

Just now, KirkNC said:

Well if they are still issuing disembarkation tags why keep the other one??

We do not know if they still are issuing disembarkation tags, just assuming that this part of the disembarkation process will remain the same,. Just indicating that something has changed on the layout and use of the luggage tags used upon embarkation. Regarding the disembarkation process, with the luggage tags, there is no way to make groups for disembarkation referring to the luggage tags, so assuming it is just for identification of your luggage when unattended. Seems logical, but it is a change in how you handle your luggage in the disembarkation process I guess.

7 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

I could be wrong but I seem to recall when taking an upsell that we reprinted our luggage tags and that the upsell stateroom was a different color.

Well, have never been in anything over a signature suite, so could be terribly wrong, but some (Neptune and or Pinnacle) suite guests will be able to tell.