Is there a way to make dining reservations for the specialty restaurants before you board using the UDP?

On 7/5/2021 at 4:00 PM, taglovestocruise said:

We have done the same thing many times, our wedding anniversary always seems to be in the middle of our 14 night transatlantics.  We usually have a 3 night and 5 night package. Make an additional full price 8pm reservation for our Anniversary night, then when we make all the reservation for the two weeks we just use a package night for the anniversary night and cancel the full price night.  Last cruise on Symphony the host in Wonderland cancelled the full price reservation on the spot and said no need to go to guest services to cancel.  Cancelations on board are given a fully refundable OBC.

Now that's a great idea.  OBC that's already paid for.  I might use that strategy on the Allure TA next year.  I find it frustrating that I can't choose the time slot I want with the dining package before boarding.  So my OBC will go towards a spa treatment or two ;o)

The UDP really is very nice.  We had the same concern the first time we did it, but it turned out to be a non-issue.  I suppose it helps that we tend to eat earlier and not at the most popular times, as well as the fact that we're fairly flexible with our time, but I'm not really sure it does all that much.

As mentioned, just go to a specialty Maitre d' when you board and hand them a list of reservations you would like.  If you are in a suite, the Concierge can handle it (likely before you even board).  In either case, they do whatever they can to get you what you want, especially after they know you have the UDP.  If they can't, they can't, but that's usually a problem only on the first and last nights (if it's a problem at all).

The buy/cancel/OBC strategy is one we learned by accident.  Even though we had the UDP, we did go ahead and pay for a reservation because we knew we wanted a particular restaurant and time for a particular day.  When we dined there on an earlier night, the M-d' asked if we wanted to make another reservation.  We mentioned that we already would be back in a couple of nights.  He looked to confirm it.  I don't recall if we mentioned that we had paid for that one or if he just saw it in the system, but he was surprised that we had (he knew we had UDP).  He refunded the cost and confirmed a reservation via UDP for the same time, and he did so of his own volition.

• Like 1

On 7/4/2021 at 6:18 PM, FPP777 said:

I did read it. You say, and these are my words, you make a reservation you are not going to use,  so that you can tie up that time slot, that could prevent someone else from taking that time slot.  Is that not what you are doing?

Then maybe you shouldn't use "your words" but the original words in the post. This is like complaining about somebody buying an airline ticket and then converting it to an award flight when awards become available.  It is the same single seat, just like here the same table reservation with nothing extra coming out of inventory  to be denied to anyone else.

• Like 2

On 7/5/2021 at 11:07 AM, cruisegus said:

Just his money.

@FPP777your more than welcome to do the same if you like

You are right. I just need to get in on all the "techniques" and just not care. Every man for himself. I'm onboard. I learned a lot in this thread. 

19 hours ago, vjmatty said:

Then maybe you shouldn't use "your words" but the original words in the post. This is like complaining about somebody buying an airline ticket and then converting it to an award flight when awards become available.  It is the same single seat, just like here the same table reservation with nothing extra coming out of inventory  to be denied to anyone else.

The procedure for making reservations for UDP is clear. He uses another "technique" to guarantee he gets a reservation.

What airline allows you to do that? 

On 7/5/2021 at 6:47 AM, John&LaLa said:

You are making a huge stretch.

Ken booked the slot he wanted, not cancelling anything. 

It is true that a slot for your typical UDP passenger is gone prior to boarding, but that's just the way it is. Nothing is being tied up to then be cancelled

The way I read it, he did cancel the individual booking that he paid for above and beyond his UDP. Thats ok, just seems everyone is good in whatever process is used as long as Royal doesnt stop you. I/ll just get in the game like everyone else.

On 6/19/2021 at 5:40 PM, Ourusualbeach said:

I have on occasion paid for a restaurant on a specific day and time when it was very important to get that dining time/restaurant.  On board the paid reservation was simply cancelled and put as a credit to my seapass account and then immediately re reserved under my UDP.

@Ourusualbeachmy apologies. I/ll just get in the game as others suggest. If Royal allows it, just do it.

• Like 3

On 6/19/2021 at 6:40 PM, Ourusualbeach said:

I have on occasion paid for a restaurant on a specific day and time when it was very important to get that dining time/restaurant.  On board the paid reservation was simply cancelled and put as a credit to my seapass account and then immediately re reserved under my UDP.

That's a slick move.

• Like 1

On 7/4/2021 at 6:18 PM, FPP777 said:

I did read it. You say, and these are my words, you make a reservation you are not going to use,  so that you can tie up that time slot, that could prevent someone else from taking that time slot.  Is that not what you are doing?

Yes but he is still using the same reservation so it's not being wasted. I think it's genius. It's one of those tips you learn on cruise critic that you store in the bank for future use.

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 7

On 7/4/2021 at 6:53 PM, FPP777 said:

I read the whole thing. You book UDP, then you book a specific restaurant and time knowing that you will cancel that booking. This way, if the person standing in front of you in line on boarding day wants that restaurant and time, they cant have it because you booked it knowing you were going to cancel and covert. I know life is not fair, and most people dont care, but is that fair to the person in front of you.    

It's not like there is only one seat in the restaurant.  I have never been on a ship big or small on any line where someone hasn't walked up to me and practically begged me to book a restaurant at a discount starting at day one. The only time I pre booked before the cruise was for Wonderland because we wanted to go there on my wife's 50th birthday and I knew that they wouldn't be offering a discount for that venu on board. 

9 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

It's not like there is only one seat in the restaurant.  I have never been on a ship big or small on any line where someone hasn't walked up to me and practically begged me to book a restaurant at a discount starting at day one. The only time I pre booked before the cruise was for Wonderland because we wanted to go there on my wife's 50th birthday and I knew that they wouldn't be offering a discount for that venu on board. 

So if its not a problem, why book and pay for an individual reservation when you already have the UDP? 

18 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Yes but he is still using the same reservation so it's not being wasted. I think it's genius. It's one of those tips you learn on cruise critic that you store in the bank for future use.

My point never was that it was wasted, but yes, I/ve learned that you have to take care of yourself using whatever tip you can learn here.

• Like 1

On 7/5/2021 at 8:15 AM, A&L_Ont said:

If anything, he gave them an interest free loan to hold that reservation.  If RC had an issue with it, they’d change their program to reflect it. 

I wouldn't be surprised if they promoted it. They are making extra money that may not have been spent had the reservation not been paid for in advanced.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Iamcruzin said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they promoted it. They are making extra money that may not have been spent had the reservation not been paid for in advanced.   

They dont make extra money because its refunded when cancelled.

2 minutes ago, FPP777 said:

So if its not a problem, why book and pay for an individual reservation when you already have the UDP? 

What are your thoughts on real issues that matter like booze smuggling, smoking on balconies, and seat saving. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

4 minutes ago, FPP777 said:

If you wanted a specific time and date it may be a problem.  I cruise various lines and don't have the ability to cruise multiple times a year so I don't get tired of the MDR. I would never buy the UDP. I know that they will be offering discounts on board and since I'm not picky about time I will take what they offer at the discounted rate.  With all the talk about the UPD on Royal I was actually surprised that they still had to offer discounts on board to fill the restaurants. 

5 minutes ago, FPP777 said:

They dont make extra money because its refunded when cancelled.

It's refunded to the acct which will probably be spent in another way that might not have happened if there wasn't a credit.

6 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

What are your thoughts on real issues that matter like booze smuggling, smoking on balconies, and seat saving. 

You had to go there.  I wonder what Beeline's and Ace's thoughts are on these topics 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

You had to go there. 

LOL, there is a reason to why I went there. There are more egregious things that happen on board compared to 1 prepaid reservation being refunded on the odd occasion. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Don't do any of that, but I may give it all a try on my next cruise. I never really condoned selfish behavior, but I/ll give that a try.

How about you? 

Edited by FPP777

Wow I think you are way overthinking this.  They make a reservation and pay for it.  When they get there, they actually USE the reservation just subbing the UDP for the payment they’ve already made.  I don’t understand what the issue is 🤷‍♀️

• Like 8

1 hour ago, poocher said:

Wow I think you are way overthinking this.  They make a reservation and pay for it.  When they get there, they actually USE the reservation just subbing the UDP for the payment they’ve already made.  I don’t understand what the issue is 🤷‍♀️

Not sure what I was thinking, but what I know now is that if I use this "technique" and I get what I want, thats all that will matter to me. I spend enough on the ship that all the canceled reservations that go back on my account as credit, will be used. I have a whole new perspective.