Essentials travel protection

victory2020

Hello all, I noticed this on my reservation. $45 sounds awfully cheap for insurance. It looked like it was much higher if I wanted to add it to my reservation in the first place. Has anyone used this Essentials travel protection offered by NCL? Can anyone tell me anything more about it

20210621_155353.jpg

I usually buy it since it’s so cheap just in case we get injured on the cruise and need medical attention. I’ve never had to use it so I’m not sure what it’s like to use it.  I believe it’s only available after you make final payment and is not a cancel for any reason or even cancel for a valid reason insurance. It just covers you for trip delay and injuries on the cruise. I’ve gotten it for as little as $25/pp on some 5 day cruises. 

Insurance - You have options:

1 - The Essential Package by NCL (cheap and recommended)

2 - Your own negotiated package with a travel insurance company broker

3 - Your own package thru your (home/auto) insurance provider

4 - A travel club policy perhaps automatic with membership

5 - A credit card policy affinity association 

6 - Combination of all of the above - BEWARE - Coordination of Benefits clauses !

7 - Lastly you like to take risks living on the wild side - wheel of fortune - place your bets !

8 - Do you feel lucky ?

57 minutes ago, don't-use-real-name said:

Insurance - You have options:

1 - The Essential Package by NCL (cheap and recommended)

2 - Your own negotiated package with a travel insurance company broker

3 - Your own package thru your (home/auto) insurance provider

4 - A travel club policy perhaps automatic with membership

5 - A credit card policy affinity association 

6 - Combination of all of the above - BEWARE - Coordination of Benefits clauses !

7 - Lastly you like to take risks living on the wild side - wheel of fortune - place your bets !

8 - Do you feel lucky ?

I have every intention of getting insurance but this seems too good of a price to offer coverage, I don't want cancel for any reason, just insurance case the plane is canceled or delayed (I'm getting NCL air), or I get sick or hurt & need emergency care. I think I spent over $100 last time for a cheaper cruise & it appeared to be more than that if I had bought insurance when I booked. If this is basic coverage, that's all I need.

2 hours ago, victory2020 said:

I have every intention of getting insurance but this seems too good of a price to offer coverage, I don't want cancel for any reason, just insurance case the plane is canceled or delayed (I'm getting NCL air), or I get sick or hurt & need emergency care. I think I spent over $100 last time for a cheaper cruise & it appeared to be more than that if I had bought insurance when I booked. If this is basic coverage, that's all I need.

I took a look at the standard BookSafe policy on the NCL website. It includes $20k medical, $25k medical evacuation, and $5k for repatriation of remains if you die while traveling.

I usually buy much more medical than that. Foreign hospital bills for Americans are expensive (since we're not a citizen of those countries their national health insurance plans don't cover us). Daily rates for Americans in a Vancouver BC ICU unit is over $14k CAN according to the linked source. It will vary from place to place, of course. A heart attack is a very expensive thing no matter where you are. I usually look for $50k or more of medical coverage.

The medical evacuation is to the nearest facility, so the amount is probably OK, but you're still left with the cost to transfer to a hospital closer to home if needed. Air ambulance service can be many tens of thousands more than that.

Repatriation of remains runs from about $5k to $10k or more, so your heirs could have some out of pocket costs there if you die while on the trip.

Like many policies, if you miss the sail away the policy doesn't give you a refund on the trip cost. It gives you $500 as a stipend to "catch up" to the cruise at the next port stop. That $500 has to pay for any hotels, the last minute one-way flight to that next port, and your meals until you catch up. If you choose not to do that you don't get any refund on the rest of the cruise because you could have caught up to the ship. This isn't uncommon in travel insurance, but the amount might be a little on the low side depending on where you are and where the ship docks next. 

So my verdict would be the coverage is OK if you're under 50 or so. That's my "risk dividing line" for higher medical, medical evac and repatriation of remains costs. Over 50 and you have an increased risk of things like strokes and heart attacks which can be very expensive. I'm in my mid-60s so we usually go with much higher coverage, but it's all up to you and your tolerance for risk. "Self insuring" is also a thing many people do if losing the $50k isn't that big of a deal.

• Like 3

Make sure when comparing insurance rates that you consider whether the credit card you use to pay for the cruise doesn't offer insurance, sometimes they do. Also, and perhaps even more important: check with your primary healthcare provider. I have Aetna insurance and they DO cover hospital bills and medical expenses while abroad, even on vacation. No need to buy supplementary coverage for me or my wife.

• Like 2

We always purchase our insurance through a company that our TA suggests.  It's considerably more expensive than what the cruise lines insurance companies charge but the peace of mind makes it worth it.  Our coverage is top notch...

On 6/22/2021 at 9:32 AM, DCGuy64 said:

Make sure when comparing insurance rates that you consider whether the credit card you use to pay for the cruise doesn't offer insurance, sometimes they do. Also, and perhaps even more important: check with your primary healthcare provider. I have Aetna insurance and they DO cover hospital bills and medical expenses while abroad, even on vacation. No need to buy supplementary coverage for me or my wife.

My wife once got the bends in Belize...  Aetna coverage also, covered her helicopter ride, and the days of hyperbaric treatment.  They settled with the transport company, saving us that hassle.  But her travel buddy's bills for hotels and meals were covered by the travel policy she had bought, not the medical, and that would have added hundreds if not thousands to the costs, as trip interruption.

• 9 months later...

Reviving an old thread in lieu of creating a whole new one...

Does anyone know if the Essentials Travel Protection covers you for any pre or post cruise travels? Or is it only specifically for the days you are on the cruise?

We're flying into Barcelona a day early, and staying post-cruise 1 day in London. Our flights and hotels were not booked through NCL, booked on our own. So I'm guessing this coverage would only be in effect for the 9 days we're on our NCL cruise and that's it. But just curious since when checking in it's asking the days we fly in and back home, so I thought there may be a chance it would cover us for those extra 2 days as well.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Sailing12Away said:

Does anyone know if the Essentials Travel Protection covers you for any pre or post cruise travels? Or is it only specifically for the days you are on the cruise?

My guess would be only during the days you cruise, but I didn't take the time to review the policy.  I bought essentials for our last cruise mainly because of the Covid uncertainties.  It cost $70 for DW and I ($35 each), so I just bought it without much research.  I've recently looked into third party options, and it looks like we can spend less than $50 for both of us for similar medical/evacuation coverage at much higher dollar limits.  That insurance can be purchased to cover the entire duration of your trip, so it might be a better option in your situation.  Squaremouth has a very useful website for comparing policies.

• Thanks 1

@ChiefMateJRK Thanks, that's what we were thinking too. We usually never bother with it, but a bit concerned primarily over the flights with all the cancellations and such recently. For $50 that little piece of mind is nice, but now I'm wading in knee high water trying to read through the legalese of everything to find one that fits the coverage we're looking for.

For trip interruptions, I'm seeing most explicitly say 'return air only' - so I'm guessing I'm only covered if I need to leave early for some reason, and won't cover me if I arrive late.

1 hour ago, Sailing12Away said:

@ChiefMateJRK Thanks, that's what we were thinking too. We usually never bother with it, but a bit concerned primarily over the flights with all the cancellations and such recently. For $50 that little piece of mind is nice, but now I'm wading in knee high water trying to read through the legalese of everything to find one that fits the coverage we're looking for.

For trip interruptions, I'm seeing most explicitly say 'return air only' - so I'm guessing I'm only covered if I need to leave early for some reason, and won't cover me if I arrive late.

I’m not seeing trip interruption coverage in the Essential Plan - only trip delay for $500. That won’t go very far to cover any delays you may have on an international trip. The Essential Plan provides mainly some medical coverage.

Edited by Babr

• 7 months later...
On 7/22/2022 at 9:22 AM, RachelGraham94IUs said:

I don’t see the reasons to worry. The possibility something bad happens to you is very low, so do you want to pay for nothing more than 45$? Sorry, man, but that’s how it looks for me. Even if you want to find expensive cruise insurance, remember how often something happened to your health when you were abroad. I think it will help you change your mind. It’s always better to save some money and spend it on the trip to see more interesting places and try more unusual food and services. Read more money saving travel hacks and tips here

Yeah, no.  The thing about insurance is you don't KNOW when something will go wrong - if you're a gambling sort, then no big.  

OTOH, if you have even once traveled and something bad happened - like, say, your traveling companion having a heart attack on the ship and having to be med evaced home - you'll get the insurance and pay for it with a smile and a sense of comfort, and look for better med evac coverage the next time you fly, because that stuff is NOT CHEAP.

Edited by CruzinMel

Double check what that NCL insurance will cover... and what it won't.

Unfortunately, there often aren't explicit statements about what is "not" covered; it's just by omission... that is, things "not mentioned as covered".

We always get third party insurance.  Here is a link to the CC section about travel insurance:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/499-cruisetravel-insurance/

ALWAYS read the terms (yes, all of 'em).

However, in general [ALWAYS read the terms/conditions of any policy you are considering], some differences with third party coverages are that they will cover you from the time you step out the door until you arrive back home.  It's not "just what the cruise fare includes".

And some policies do not exclude pre-existing conditions.  This often involves starting the coverage with the *first* payment/deposit, although one usually only needs to insure the amount of that deposit until more payments are made.

IF there is a need to cancel/interrupt the trip for a covered reason, one gets cash back, not a "credit" that must be used with a specific vendor, and with a time limit.

We recommend https://tripinsurancestore.com

We have no affiliation with them except as very satisifed clients, after learning about them here on CruiseCritic (and we had a very large claim when we had to cancel a major trip on very short notice the *first* time we got travel insurance. 😞 ).

But CALL them.

They are a travel insurance broker, and work with several vetted travel insurers.  There are too many details in the various policies they offer that just don't show up in the online summaries, and there can be differences in coverage depending upon state of residence.

They are incredibly patient with "newbies", including calling back to ask, "Well.... what if [this] happens, is it covered?  And what about if [that] happens?"  Asking such questions is *good*. 😉 

And note that "pre-existing condition" has a different definition in travel insurance than it does in most of "everyday language".  (This is actually a positive in most cases, but not all.)

We've had too many claims (alas), but ALL have been covered and paid with a check received within about 2 weeks of submitting the completed claim.

Note:  KEEP RECEIPTS.  And for claims based upon a medical even, SEE A PHYSICIAN and get documentation.  One cannot just "declare ones' self sick" and then get reimbursed for expenses that would be covered, etc. 

(The insurer has the right to try to avoid fraudulent claims.)

GC

It's a function of the cost of the cruise.  I'm CAS so my insurance is like $35 per cruise.  I leave it on because I assume my CAS consultant is incented to sell them in some manner and it's not an appreciable amount.  But I'm taking my niece and her bf and their insurance was considerably more (as was their cruise) so I cancelled it.  I bought trip insurance elsewhere which is more comprehensive and cheaper.

Notice that the description of the Essentials Plan indicates it is a post-departure plan. That means it provides essential coverage for medical and evacuation expenses  or a few travel risks such as trip delay. Read that as a minimum amount to go toward those expenses but not likely to cover them completely.

There is no coverage for cancellation.

• 7 months later...

Worth every penny! I had a passenger who got pneumonia while onboard of NCL Getaway. The treatment for 2 days was great including doctors expertise, hospital facilities, and medication all while on the ship. It took one/two hour a day without affecting a cruise vacation. Except cost that run over $9000. Filing claim was pretty easy. Gather all medical paperwork from cruise ship hospital, scan and upload it on AON website, fill out online form. And wait. In 3-5 months get your pay wired to your account. Done!

4 minutes ago, I23Ol said:

Worth every penny! I had a passenger who got pneumonia while onboard of NCL Getaway. The treatment for 2 days was great including doctors expertise, hospital facilities, and medication all while on the ship. It took one/two hour a day without affecting a cruise vacation. Except cost that run over $9000. Filing claim was pretty easy. Gather all medical paperwork from cruise ship hospital, scan and upload it on AON website, fill out online form. And wait. In 3-5 months get your pay wired to your account. Done!

This is kinda an old and dead thread to be responding to. 

Aon is secondary insurance. Not primary. So you can’t just submit ship bills and get paid. 

23 minutes ago, I23Ol said:

This one came up at google search because it matched Essentials. And yes it is simple as AON claims website is standalone. You can file, track, and respond with more documentation. And most of necessary information I got at guest services while on the ship. Can’t complain. And you should apologize 

I didn't say it wasn't as simple as AON claims. I said it wasn't as simple as YOU claimed, and it isn't, as has been pointed out.

• Like 1