Summary of Carnival's policies for July & August sailings from John Heald

On 7/14/2021 at 1:03 PM, ProgRockCruiser said:

Can he get a third shot, which could be any of the three (Moderna, AZ, Pfizer), as any combo of two of them satisfy the CDC / WHO?

Im not sure they are allowing that up here.  as John Heald would say FFS!  Think there would be a better consensus given the number of vaccines out there and availability of them.  Here in Alberta there were times when shipments were delayed making the next vaccine available the go to vaccine.  Now there are availabilities but at the time most people just wanted to get jabbed.  Im Lucky in that I got Moderna first and then Pfizer so im in that recognized vaccination category but i can understand the frustration with those that had a AZ blend.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, kdr69 said:

Im not sure they are allowing that up here.  as John Heald would say FFS!  Think there would be a better consensus given the number of vaccines out there and availability of them.  Here in Alberta there were times when shipments were delayed making the next vaccine available the go to vaccine.  Now there are availabilities but at the time most people just wanted to get jabbed.  Im Lucky in that I got Moderna first and then Pfizer so im in that recognized vaccination category but i can understand the frustration with those that had a AZ blend.

Not sure if the policy will last too long but if does anyone can get a shot in the US if needed.  It won't help everyone but the option is there.  When I got my extra shot there were plenty of people without appointments that flew in just to get vaccinated.

2 minutes ago, lobster1313 said:

Not sure if the policy will last too long but if does anyone can get a shot in the US if needed.  It won't help everyone but the option is there.  When I got my extra shot there were plenty of people without appointments that flew in just to get vaccinated.

I have AZ and Pfizer. I have a cruise booked in December.

I'm a 2 hour drive to Massena New York.

I am very tempted to drive there to get a 2nd/3rd dose (Pfizer) once the borders officially open up and thus be fully vaccinated in the eyes of Carnival.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, K_e_short said:

I have AZ and Pfizer. I have a cruise booked in December.

I'm a 2 hour drive to Massena New York.

I am very tempted to drive there to get a 2nd/3rd dose (Pfizer) once the borders officially open up and thus be fully vaccinated in the eyes of Carnival.

it may be your best route.

3 minutes ago, broberts said:

Is there any data that deals with the safety of a third shot?

Probably no data of either safety or efficacy. But I found this interesting, regarding people who had a prior Covid infection - and that it appears a single dose following that provided a strong immune response.

Tom

51 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Probably no data of either safety or efficacy. But I found this interesting, regarding people who had a prior Covid infection - and that it appears a single dose following that provided a strong immune response.

Tom

If someone with a prior covid infection and one dose of Pfizer or Moderna could be considered fully vaccinated, then that might make those people more likely to get the vaccine.  It's that second dose that seems to do a number on many people with prior infections.  Also, it appears they may have more immunity than those who have never had covid, but have had two doses of a vaccine.

"Studies show that people with previous exposure to SARS-CoV-2 tend to mount powerful immune responses to single shots, and gain little added benefit from another injection. What’s more, for people with immunity gained through infection, one dose typically boosts antibody numbers to levels that are equal to, or often greater than, those found in individuals who have not been infected and have received double doses."

1 minute ago, TNcruising02 said:

If someone with a prior covid infection and one dose of Pfizer or Moderna could be considered fully vaccinated, then that might make those people more likely to get the vaccine.  It's that second dose that seems to do a number on many people with prior infections.  Also, it appears they may have more immunity than those who have never had covid, but have had two doses of a vaccine.

"Studies show that people with previous exposure to SARS-CoV-2 tend to mount powerful immune responses to single shots, and gain little added benefit from another injection. What’s more, for people with immunity gained through infection, one dose typically boosts antibody numbers to levels that are equal to, or often greater than, those found in individuals who have not been infected and have received double doses."

Now I just need to find some good data as to where we fall (in the immunity spectrum) since we had two Moderna shots early in the year and then got the breakthrough experience last week. Data aside, I think we'll definitely be a little less stressed for our 8/7 sailing.

Tom

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Now I just need to find some good data as to where we fall (in the immunity spectrum) since we had two Moderna shots early in the year and then got the breakthrough experience last week. Data aside, I think we'll definitely be a little less stressed for our 8/7 sailing.

Tom

You better keep hush-hush. 😉. There may be some kind of clean-for-4-week rule. Somebody on here is going to turn you in so they can pick up your cabin last minute.

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Tom

You and Cheryl are probably in a great place immunity-wise now!  You should definitely be able to enjoy traveling to and from the cruise port, excursions, and the cruise itself with a lot less stress.  I know it was uncomfortable getting the virus, but your timing is good. You might want to bring proof of infection with you on the cruise just in case there is any testing and you show up positive. 

Edited by TNcruising02

Just now, TNcruising02 said:

You and Cheryl are probably in a great place immunity-wise now!  You should definitely be able to enjoy traveling to and from the cruise port, excursions, and the cruise itself with a lot less stress.  I know it was uncomfortable getting the virus, but your timing is good.

I wish my timing had been just as good with regard to CCL stock !  🙃

Tom

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

You and Cheryl are probably in a great place immunity-wise now!  You should definitely be able to enjoy traveling to and from the cruise port, excursions, and the cruise itself with a lot less stress.  I know it was uncomfortable getting the virus, but your timing is good. You might want to bring proof of infection with you on the cruise just in case there is any testing and you show up positive. 

What exactly would proof of infection do? I suspect if they were to show up positive, nothing would get them on the ship, including proof that they just had the virus - they'd just say well, you're still positive.

8 minutes ago, ScottsSweetie said:

What exactly would proof of infection do? I suspect if they were to show up positive, nothing would get them on the ship, including proof that they just had the virus - they'd just say well, you're still positive.

I read that people who have recovered from an infection can still test positive.  Therefore, if they were tested DURING the cruise and came up positive, they could show that they had a recent prior infection.  It is the same thing that many places are doing, having people show proof of a prior infection if it was recent.  This may eliminate the need to have them forced off of the ship or forced into quarantine.  

Here is what the CDC is stating about international travel (just for comparison purposes):

"If you plan to travel internationally, you will need to get tested no more than 3 days before you travel by air into the United States (US) and show your negative result to the airline before you board your flight, or be prepared to show documentation of recovery (proof of a recent positive viral test and a letter from your healthcare provider or a public health official stating that you were cleared to travel)."

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

I read that people who have recovered from an infection can still test positive.  Therefore, if they were tested during the cruise and came up positive, they could show that they had a recent prior infection.  It is the same thing that many places are doing, having people show proof of a prior infection if it was recent.  This may eliminate the need to have them forced off of the ship or forced into quarantine.  

Here is what the CDC is stating about international travel (just for comparison purposes):

"If you plan to travel internationally, you will need to get tested no more than 3 days before you travel by air into the United States (US) and show your negative result to the airline before you board your flight, or be prepared to show documentation of recovery (proof of a recent positive viral test and a letter from your healthcare provider or a public health official stating that you were cleared to travel)."

Well, that's interesting. But I will say that in my experience, even hospitals don't subscribe to this. I tested positive on Feb 13 - was told to quarantine for 10 days or until symptoms are gone for 48 hours. Did that + 24 hours just in case. Admitted to the hospital on March 2 for unrelated event - had a routine test that came back positive - 17 days after the first one with no symptoms for approx. 5 days. They didn't even consider that it was possibly due to recent infection. They immediately donned their hazmat suits and shipped me off to the covid ward where my husband could not visit for 2 days, even while telling me I was not possibly still contagious. I suspect the cruise lines would err on the side of caution and entertain no positive results at all. But, there should be no reason to be testing fully vaccinated people anyway, so I can't imagine this scenario.

4 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Tom

glad i have two then😬 Im triple protected now

• Like 1

So if you are vaccinated and come down with Covid before your cruise, you can show your vaccination card and be good to embark?  Any questions on the health questionnaire that would circumvent that?  I'm trying to figure out the protocol, thanks!

9 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

So if you are vaccinated and come down with Covid before your cruise, you can show your vaccination card and be good to embark?  Any questions on the health questionnaire that would circumvent that?  I'm trying to figure out the protocol, thanks!

Only if you lie on the health questionnaire .

Screenshot_20210719-191114_Word.jpg

Edited by lobster1313

1 hour ago, kdr69 said:

glad i have two then😬 Im triple protected now

Us too.  We had seen that too, that if you have had Covid and have the full vaccine (double shot), you are like super protected.  Figure we are golden now since we had it and been fully vaccinated with Moderna.

• Like 1

OK, so I am confused regarding cruises NOT leaving from Florida or Texas for July and August.  Previously they were not allowing ANY unvaccinated passengers.  Now it appears that they will allow up to 5% to be unvaccinated.

Please correct me if I am wrong.  If I am understanding correctly, I might have to cancel our 8/21 Panorama cruise out of Long Beach. The only reason why we booked was because they were not allowing unvaccinated passengers.

1 minute ago, Shayhooper said:

OK, so I am confused regarding cruises NOT leaving from Florida or Texas for July and August.  Previously they were not allowing ANY unvaccinated passengers.  Now it appears that they will allow up to 5% to be unvaccinated.

Please correct me if I am wrong.  If I am understanding correctly, I might have to cancel our 8/21 Panorama cruise out of Long Beach. The only reason why we booked was because they were not allowing unvaccinated passengers.

Carnival has always been sailing at 95% vaccinated - which I believe the CDC is recognizing as a "fully vaccinated cruise".

3 minutes ago, Shayhooper said:

100% is for Alaska cruises only

17 minutes ago, ScottsSweetie said:

Carnival has always been sailing at 95% vaccinated - which I believe the CDC is recognizing as a "fully vaccinated cruise".

Oh!  I'm not sure how I missed that.  I could have sworn that for the cruises out of California everyone needed to be vaccinated.

I really need to rethink my trip.