Summary of Carnival's policies for July & August sailings from John Heald

21 hours ago, Lee Cruiser said:

I'm curious as to how long Carnival goes with these protocols in Florida now that Celebrity has joined RCI in not requiring vaccination proof, but making it more difficult for non-vaccinated guests.  As far as it looks now, Carnival is the only cruise line that is going to try to require proof of vaccination in Florida.  If they start getting hit with fines, they may change as well.

Celebrity is still requiring proof of vaccination.  They are contacting passengers and asking for vaccination status verification.  Then they put you in the "vaccinated pile".  You are told to bring your vaccine proof to present at boarding.  If you don't have it or refuse to provide it, you are in the "unvaccinated pile".  If the 5% unvaccinated pile is full at that time, you don't sail.  They are committed to 95% vaccinated passengers and have been authorized to sail that way by the CDC.  Their first sailing is on Saturday.  No fines will be applied.

• Like 2

On 6/22/2021 at 10:18 AM, Honolulu Blue said:

They'll probably sell the T-shirt in the candy store, but as for the actual grooving... good question.  I would ask Mr. Heald directly and see if you get an answer.

He said above, no other events than elegant nights and deck party.

On 6/23/2021 at 12:16 PM, maryann2 said:

Yes wristbands should be for the vaccinated. Non vaccinated, as you say, would remove them.

Appears that's what RCCL is doing.  Bands for vaccinated.  Also something on ship id.  Not sur eif that for vaccinated or unvaccinated or some different code for both.

7 minutes ago, MamatoJack said:

I have a cruise booked in December (on Mardi Gras) and am stressing out!! My son turns 12 on the cruise so he won't be vaccinated. I'm just not sure if I should try and move it, if we go later he would be vaccinated and no worries! But all this approval to be part of the 5%, limiting which excursions... just makes me anxious. We want to go, I do hope they relax things a bit by then, but of course no one can predict what will happen, and if I wait too long to cancel/move I may have to pay much higher prices. Any way. Interesting to see what the plans are for July/August especially with regards to the excursions and activities.

I won't tell you what to do, but I want to say that there's a chance that children under 12 might have one or more FDA-approved options to be vaccinated by December.

• Like 2

The hole punched in the cards may also be to restrict those that are unvaccinated from wandering off on their own. They are not allowed to explore the islands outside of the 'bubble' the cruise line is creating for them. When the unvaxxed card is scanned at the port when you get off, they will probably direct these pax to a spot for their excursion or redirect them back on board. Purely speculation but that seems like a reasonable reason and easy way to quickly sort them out.

Edited by charliesdad63
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

He said above, no other events than elegant nights and deck party.

The very first thing in the list of other events that will indeed happen?:

I would like to list some of the activities that are going ahead on ships sailing in July and August. They include:
Groove for St. Jude

They aren't doing any other theme nights, but lots of events still going.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, harkinmr said:

Celebrity is still requiring proof of vaccination.  They are contacting passengers and asking for vaccination status verification.  Then they put you in the "vaccinated pile".  You are told to bring your vaccine proof to present at boarding.  If you don't have it or refuse to provide it, you are in the "unvaccinated pile".  If the 5% unvaccinated pile is full at that time, you don't sail.  They are committed to 95% vaccinated passengers and have been authorized to sail that way by the CDC.  Their first sailing is on Saturday.  No fines will be applied.

That may be true, but it contradicts most news stories about it.  Most of the stories say they no longer require proof of vaccination in Florida.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Lee Cruiser said:

That may be true, but it contradicts most news stories about it.  Most of the stories say they no longer require proof of vaccination in Florida.

There was one news story from USA Today that failed to mention the 95% vaccinated requirement.  SeaTrade included it (along with statements from the company) and it is still referenced on the Celebrity website.  They are not "requiring" a vaccine but are only sailing with 95% vaccinated passengers.  If you don't submit proof voluntarily, you are lumped in with the 5% unvaccinated and may not be able to sail. They would not be authorized to sail on Saturday if they were not still meeting the 95/98 CDC requirement.  I believe the cruise line over a news account.

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/environmental-health/coping-floridas-vaccine-passport-ban-we-can-ask-we-cant-require

Edited by harkinmr
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Wanna_Cruize said:

I don't see Piano bar on the list, so maybe that won't be open for July/August. I'll head off to Zuckerland to read the entire thing for myself, since I don't frequent that place routinely. 

On June 14 Mr. Heald introduced the entertainers at the Piano Bar for the Breeze, Vista, and Horizon in separate posts, so I assume those will be open.

• Like 1

Celebrity is doing like Royal with at least one ship sailing from Florida.  The Edge is doing a test cruise this weekend according to this-  https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/6232/

I'm not sure if Equinox is going to do one or not, still digging for info.

Disney Dream is also doing a test cruise but has yet to announce any plans about resuming service that aren't vague/September+.

After passing a test cruise, a ship is free to take more than 5% unvaccinated passengers, but unvaccinated/non-disclosed guests have to abide by stronger safety protocols onboard, and those who voluntarily submit proof of vaccinated status can be given more freedoms from these protocols and access to vaccinated-only areas/venues.

Edited by arkaine23
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wanna_Cruize said:

I don't see Piano bar on the list, so maybe that won't be open for July/August. I'll head off to Zuckerland to read the entire thing for myself, since I don't frequent that place routinely. 

The piano bar will be open. Eden Parker is scheduled.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, arkaine23 said:

Celebrity is doing like Royal with at least one ship sailing from Florida.  The Edge is doing a test cruise this weekend according to this-  https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/6232/

I'm not sure if Equinox is going to do one or not, still digging for info.

Disney Dream is also doing a test cruise but has yet to announce any plans about resuming service that aren't vague/September+.

After passing a test cruise, a ship is free to take more than 5% unvaccinated passengers, but unvaccinated/non-disclosed guests have to abide by stronger safety protocols onboard, and those who voluntarily submit proof of vaccinated status can be given more freedoms from these protocols and access to vaccinated-only areas/venues.

Celebrity is not doing a "test" cruise.  They are sailing with paying passengers from Fort Lauderdale on the Edge this coming Saturday.  The Equinox will also be sailing from the US shortly with a similar vaccination percentage.  Celebrity chose the 95/98% vaccinated option so they would not have to do test cruises and will sail with no more than 5% unvaccinated passengers.  They will continue to sail with only 95/98% vaccinated passengers and crew thereafter.  Lines like RCI that have chosen the test cruise option can sail with a larger percentage of unvaccinated passengers.

4 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

I won't tell you what to do, but I want to say that there's a chance that children under 12 might have one or more FDA-approved options to be vaccinated by December.

I think December is too early even if there is a vaccine approved for under 12 by then. Remember to be fully vaccinated you need to be not only vaccinated, but to also have had your second vaccine and wait another 2 weeks for the full efficacy to take effect.

Question: what about the Novovax vaccine? My 18 year old daughter has been in their vaccine trial, which is not unblinded yet. But, she has a letter stating that she was vaccinated as part of the trial, between NOV-APR.

2 hours ago, CeleBrat said:

Question: what about the Novovax vaccine? My 18 year old daughter has been in their vaccine trial, which is not unblinded yet. But, she has a letter stating that she was vaccinated as part of the trial, between NOV-APR.

1. Is that a vaccine that has been approved by the WHO?

2. When you say that it has not been unblinded and she has a letter stating that she was part of the trial, how does she know she got the vaccine and not the placebo?

My guess is not until it gets approval, which appears to be the end of September.

I've searched, but I may be blind....

Will the Carnival Breeze have their thalossotherapy pool and the spa's saunas open in July?

The Steakhouse?

Thank you so much--the answers will determine if I take the plunge or not.

On 6/23/2021 at 7:16 AM, Earthworm Jim said:

I don't know how making the non-vaccinated wear wrist bands would work. They'll just take them off. Wrist bands can realistically only be used for something that gives the wearer extra privileges so they want to have them on. If wrist band wearers are penalized, they just won't wear them.

I believe on RC (and likely Carnival) it is the vaccinated who will be assigned wristbands which we will happily wear so that we can access areas on the ship that are off limits to unvaxed pax.  

• Like 1

On 6/22/2021 at 6:33 PM, BlerkOne said:

The blanks they bought come pre-punched, but hopefully they ran out of those.

That's interesting is that new? I have never had a hole punched in my S&S.

On this morning coffee with me on FB this morning, JH began laying out the path for how cruising will begin for Carnival.  Today was focused on muster and the tie to the Fun Hub App and checking in at the actual muster station (similar to Royals plan).  Monday will be on how dining will work.  More to follow.  What is clear is that this is a process and lots of detail as we begin this road to normalcy..  

• Like 7

48 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

On this morning coffee with me on FB this morning, JH began laying out the path for how cruising will begin for Carnival.  Today was focused on muster and the tie to the Fun Hub App and checking in at the actual muster station (similar to Royals plan).  Monday will be on how dining will work.  More to follow.  What is clear is that this is a process and lots of detail as we begin this road to normalcy..  

Interesting. Please keep us informed. We thirst for information! 

• Like 2

She was in a very lengthy trial, during which time she got two sets of shots. She got 2 shots in the fall, and then again in early spring they contacted her asking if she’d stay in the trial. She then received 2 more shots, which were the opposite of what she received first time. By still being blinded, she just doesn’t know exactly when she got the vaccine//fall or spring. But she was guaranteed to have received it.

Sounds good, but I would contact the people in charge of the trials and see what kind of proof they will be able to provide her. You should explain if necessary that you need it for travel.

And a big 👍 to her and everyone else who participated in trials. Now that the vaccines have been allowed and shown to be safe, there are still people claiming as their excuse not to be vaccinated that "they will not be guinea pigs". The people in the trials were the ones who actually are the ones who took risks for the greater good. Again thank you.

• Like 2

On 6/25/2021 at 4:27 PM, ontheweb said:

Sounds good, but I would contact the people in charge of the trials and see what kind of proof they will be able to provide her. You should explain if necessary that you need it for travel.

And a big 👍 to her and everyone else who participated in trials. Now that the vaccines have been allowed and shown to be safe, there are still people claiming as their excuse not to be vaccinated that "they will not be guinea pigs". The people in the trials were the ones who actually are the ones who took risks for the greater good. Again thank you.

We are proud of her for being in the trial.

Sadly, it looks like one of these dirt-cheap fall cruises is a no-go currently, as Novovax is not currently approved by the CDC.  So, my daughter falls into a weird vaccinated/not-considered-vaccinated category with the cruiseline.  When/if it gets approved (they are saying 3rd quarter for submission for approval) she can cruise.  

Until then, we will live vicariously through you all!

CeleBrat

1 hour ago, CeleBrat said:

We are proud of her for being in the trial.

Sadly, it looks like one of these dirt-cheap fall cruises is a no-go currently, as Novovax is not currently approved by the CDC.  So, my daughter falls into a weird vaccinated/not-considered-vaccinated category with the cruiseline.  When/if it gets approved (they are saying 3rd quarter for submission for approval) she can cruise.  

Until then, we will live vicariously through you all!

CeleBrat

Do you know if it was approved by the WHO? I believe that is the standard they are now using.

• Like 1