Summary of Carnival's policies for July & August sailings from John Heald

4 hours ago, BoozinCroozin said:

This is the right path and good to know they are following it. The one thing I would like to know is what do they do when the unvaxxed adult passengers choose not to follow the rules they appear to have to agree to and/or signoff on? I suspect most, if not all, unvaxxed will be kids under 12. But those few adults that get on and still think the rules don't apply...you know the ones that are like this. I hope they do a 3-strike thing for the adults. First time is a warning. Second time is 24-hour quarantine in cabin. Third time is disembarkation at the next port or removal from the ship at the passengers expense (by Coast Guard air or ship, not a cheap expense/fine). 

As for the kids, warn them and maybe have a hole punch on their wrist bands. After too many warnings, the parents are formally warned with the 3-strike rule. Next time is 24-hour quarantine to cabin and the one after that is debarkation from the ship. 

Just now, maryann2 said:

No benefit of the doubt. Confined to cabin and disembarked at the next port. Simple.

Even better

• Like 3

4 hours ago, arkaine23 said:

This info posted was backwards.  Vaccinated on RCI get a wristband.  Unvaccinated get a hole punched in their card.

Ah, thanks for clarifying.

I do wonder if they will follow RCL in establishing vax'd\non-vax'd areas of the ship.

I don't care as I am vax'd but I'd have to imagine it would lead to potential problems with guests.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, LHARTWICK said:

Even if they punch the S&S cards indicating non-vaccinated guests, not everyone wears them on a lanyard where they are visible.  Am I missing something?

The hole punch in the S&S card is complemented with the (lack of) wristband.  The wristband will be the first gate as part of a physical "two-factor authentication", if you will: wristband and no hole in card - free to enter/participate.  Or maybe they'll use those portable card scanners for entering the clubs and theaters - everyone gets scanned, if you aren't vaxxed it will show up and be denied entry.

If wandering about on deck with no wristband and no mask: please step over here sir...

Who knows, lots of options, I'm just hoping by the time I sail in Sept this will be a moot point.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

The hole punch in the S&S card is complemented with the (lack of) wristband.  The wristband will be the first gate as part of a physical "two-factor authentication", if you will: wristband and no hole in card - free to enter/participate.  Or maybe they'll use those portable card scanners for entering the clubs and theaters - everyone gets scanned, if you aren't vaxxed it will show up and be denied entry.

If wandering about on deck with no wristband and no mask: please step over here sir...

Who knows, lots of options, I'm just hoping by the time I sail in Sept this will be a moot point.

Wouldn't it be easier to just scan all the vaccinated people for microchips?

(said just in FUN... not wanting to tempt the powers that be)!!

Tom

• Like 4
  • Haha 8

7 hours ago, Earthworm Jim said:

I don't know how making the non-vaccinated wear wrist bands would work. They'll just take them off. Wrist bands can realistically only be used for something that gives the wearer extra privileges so they want to have them on. If wrist band wearers are penalized, they just won't wear them.

I actually heard that the VACCINATED guests would receive the wristbands, thus all the incentive in the world to keep them on Agree that having non-vac wear them would be a waste of time as they would likely get removed.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I'm curious as to how long Carnival goes with these protocols in Florida now that Celebrity has joined RCI in not requiring vaccination proof, but making it more difficult for non-vaccinated guests.  As far as it looks now, Carnival is the only cruise line that is going to try to require proof of vaccination in Florida.  If they start getting hit with fines, they may change as well.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Lee Cruiser said:

I'm curious as to how long Carnival goes with these protocols in Florida now that Celebrity has joined RCI in not requiring vaccination proof, but making it more difficult for non-vaccinated guests.  As far as it looks now, Carnival is the only cruise line that is going to try to require proof of vaccination in Florida.  If they start getting hit with fines, they may change as well.

I doubt any time soon (July/August) - but who knows. If nothing else, they can tell them "the check's in the mail"...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lee Cruiser said:

Princess is, also. I don't see fines happening, unless it is just a token amount.

1 hour ago, sunkey1 said:

I actually heard

that the VACCINATED guests would receive the wristbands,

thus all the incentive in the world to keep them on

Agree that having non-vac wear them

would be a waste of time as they would likely get removed.

I could put up with that for the duration of a cruise, yes! Easy.

• Like 1

On 6/22/2021 at 7:57 AM, Honolulu Blue said:

SHORE EXCURSIONS
If you are fully vaccinated you can go on one of our brilliant Carnival excursions or independent activity that includes walking around town, going to the beach

I love this part.  I assumed we would be stuck with the Carnival shore excursions.  Now if I only knew WHERE my ship is actually going (9/12/21-Horizon), I could book those excursions.  For now, just hopeful and grateful to be sailing again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Earthworm Jim said:

I don't know how making the non-vaccinated wear wrist bands would work. They'll just take them off. Wrist bands can realistically only be used for something that gives the wearer extra privileges so they want to have them on. If wrist band wearers are penalized, they just won't wear them.

5% should be easy to spot, kids under 12.  The practical application to avoid would be schedule when school is in session.  

17 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Facial recognition software ain't just for temperature checks.

I'm confused. How does that explain why Royal will punch holes in the cards of the non-vaccinated? Or are you just saying my theory that perhaps they'll make you show a card to enter a vaccinated venue doesn't make sense?

They could certainly make that kind of check via facial recognition, but I have no idea whether they'd have enough of those machines to make that practical. Though I assume all they really are is a computer, a camera, and software. Either way, if they are giving wrist bands to the vaccinated, they wouldn't need to look at cards. Just checking wrist bands. So maybe you're right and my theory is all wet.

One of the things that concern me the most prior to cruise is the food on board. I heard that it will be limited for some specific ligistic reasons. I was expecting the same menu as 2 years ago but unfortunatly manufacturers are going for a low fat diet this year.. sounds kinda weird to me 

Processes are as expected. I really hope we can get cruising started again soon to iron out the kinks. You will not find me on a July or August cruise. The panic is too high. Here's hoping for relaxed guidelines in September or October.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Earthworm Jim said:

I'm confused. How does that explain why Royal will punch holes in the cards of the non-vaccinated? Or are you just saying my theory that perhaps they'll make you show a card to enter a vaccinated venue doesn't make sense?

They could certainly make that kind of check via facial recognition, but I have no idea whether they'd have enough of those machines to make that practical. Though I assume all they really are is a computer, a camera, and software. Either way, if they are giving wrist bands to the vaccinated, they wouldn't need to look at cards. Just checking wrist bands. So maybe you're right and my theory is all wet.

On many Royal ships, you have to make reservations for shows, so they already require people to show their sign and sail card to enter.  That's probably the point of punching a hole in the card.  Since Royal is allowing all unvaccinated, they will have many more adults than Carnival.  Carnival stated it will also less than 5% and the majority will be children.  So, maybe there will be ten unvaccinated adults on a huge ship. The threat is so small as to be nearly nonexistent.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Lee Cruiser said:

Just a FYI: Nothing in the Florida Executive Order, Florida law or the language in the recent judge's opinion forbids everyone from voluntarily providing their health (vaccination) information. 

To the contrary, both the EO and law specifically states that the voluntary providing of one's vaccination status is not forbidden.

So like many choices in life, one weighs the impact of one's actions and decides if the consequences are ones that one can accept.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Lee Cruiser said:

If Carnival requires the proof in the pre-check in process they are not breaking Florida's laws as I see it. Only if they require the proof upon boarding, once people are at the port.

• Like 2

UPDATE #1:  John Heald added some clarification about the rules for excursions on July and August sailings.  Again, I'll quote him directly; the original post is at https://www.facebook.com/JohnHeald/posts/5932944040081441?__tn__=K-R :

let' stalk about a Bubbles. No, not the ones I make when I have a bath but what we are calling Bubble tours. These are the excursions for the 5% of non vaccinated cruisers we have on our ships sailing in July and in August. I have received many questions about this so I thought I would recap for you.

Now remember, if you are on a cruise in July and August and are fully vaccinated you may explore on your own and of course as many of you are, take a Carnival organised excursion.

The following then is for those who are non vaccinated or traveling with children who obviously are too young to have the vaccine:

Shore visits and excursions:

· Unvaccinated guests will be offered options for Carnival approved “bubble” tours as self-guided or independent exploration is not allowed in many destinations. In the event our approved “bubble” tours are sold out, or cancelled by weather, unvaccinated guests will have to remain on board.
· In private ports of call, such as Half Moon Cay, Princess Cay. Unvaccinated guests may participate in Carnival approved tours or independent exploration.

My colleagues in the shore excursion department are working on these Bubble Tours for all the Caribbean Ports and in Alaska. And for all vaccinated guests there ill be more excursions added for you to choose from too.

I will of course have them on our website as soon as possible. When they are added I will let everyone know and as always I thank you for your patience.

And a reminder that this for now is just for July and August, not for September and beyond.

There will be a KNOW BEFORE YOU email sent to everyone before each cruise and I will share that here for you too.

----------------------------------------------------

It all seems self-explanatory, but this does raise a question... are there actually going to be separate Carnival tours for vaccinated and unvaccinated/mixed parties?  I didn't expect this; I expected all Carnival offerings to be mixed (subject to age limits, port rules, etc.).  It would add a level of protection if they did this, at the cost of some issues with separating guests.

• Like 1

UPDATE #2:  Mr. Heald also listed some activities we can expect on board ships in July and August.  Again, I'll just quote the relevant section and note the original post is at https://www.facebook.com/JohnHeald (you may have to scroll down to get to the post):

I would like to list some of the activities that are going ahead on ships sailing in July and August. They include:
Groove for St. Jude
Veteran's Gathering
Tea Time
Deck Games - excluding the Hairy Chest Contest.
Atrium Parties including 80's and Motown
Love and Marriage Show
Seuss at Sea Breakfast
Build A Bear
Matinee Comedy Shows
Late Night Comedy Shows
Playlist Shows
Variety Entertainers
Bingo
Trivia and Games
Deck Party

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

UPDATE #2:  Mr. Heald also listed some activities we can expect on board ships in July and August.  Again, I'll just quote the relevant section and note the original post is at https://www.facebook.com/JohnHeald (you may have to scroll down to get to the post):

I would like to list some of the activities that are going ahead on ships sailing in July and August. They include:
Groove for St. Jude
Veteran's Gathering
Tea Time
Deck Games - excluding the Hairy Chest Contest.
Atrium Parties including 80's and Motown
Love and Marriage Show
Seuss at Sea Breakfast
Build A Bear
Matinee Comedy Shows
Late Night Comedy Shows
Playlist Shows
Variety Entertainers
Bingo
Trivia and Games
Deck Party

Perhaps they could list the activities not happening. That would give a better picture of changes.  (But, who wants to dwell on the negatives!)

Tom

25 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Perhaps they could list the activities not happening. That would give a better picture of changes.  (But, who wants to dwell on the negatives!)

Indeed, I'm sure John doesn't want to dwell on any negatives as this is not what the Brand Ambassador wants to sell to us.  But let's reverse engineer and see what might not be happening yet:

The Hairy Chest Contest was specifically mentioned in the list I quoted, that's a no go.  Quest was discussed in a portion of the post that I didn't quote here; that's a maybe and might vary from ship to ship.  Behind the Fun was mentioned in one of Mr. Heald's previous posts; that's also a maybe. Karaoke is a big exclusion.  Adventure OTS on another cruise line had karaoke; I think Carnival can do it safely enough if they want to.  I haven't heard anything about art auctions or late night dancing in the nightclub.  And what about big sales on Promenade Deck?  It's sometimes entertaining to see how many people can swarm a single table that offers 2 for $20 T-shirts or $19.99 jewelry gift boxes.

Edited by Honolulu Blue
  • Like 2

I have a cruise booked in December (on Mardi Gras) and am stressing out!! My son turns 12 on the cruise so he won't be vaccinated. I'm just not sure if I should try and move it, if we go later he would be vaccinated and no worries! But all this approval to be part of the 5%, limiting which excursions... just makes me anxious. We want to go, I do hope they relax things a bit by then, but of course no one can predict what will happen, and if I wait too long to cancel/move I may have to pay much higher prices. Any way. Interesting to see what the plans are for July/August especially with regards to the excursions and activities.

• Like 1