Just wondering about excursion plans

Ombud

Now that we can explore on our own in Alaska (and other places), how many of us are booking excursions through the cruise line? I am and (1) is less expensive thru the ship (1) is only available thru the ship & that vendor isn't going to risk his ongoing arrangement by booking independently. 

So after all the complaining that I needed to stay in the ship's pod, I'm still doing their excursions in Juneau & Skagway 

• Like 1

I’m doing what I’ve always done — I book on my own unless there is something that will be an all-day excursion that I’m concerned might have timing issues, in which case I want the “insurance” that comes with booking with the ship.

In Alaska, I don’t think I’ve ever booked through the cruise line for anything but the sled dogs, which was the same price directly with the tour operator as it is through the ship so I didn’t see the need.

For my upcoming Mexico sailing, I’m chartering my own private sailboat tours which would cost $1200 through the ship but are only $200-$300 in Mexico, and I get to pick the type of boat and customize my tours and timing.

• Like 2

We are currently scheduled on a South American cruise in February 2022 and are still waiting to see 1) if the cruise will sail, and 2) if there will be any requirements for excursions before we begin booking. We did, however, schedule one on the day of our disembarkation that is an all day excursion that gets us to the airport in time for our flight. Other than that, we are still waiting to see what our options are.

I booked ship tours for Alaska because the providers I was considering were not booking separately when we set everything up (I have not looked since). One of our Princess excursions has since been cancelled, so I am planning to explore on my own and will likely not book a replacement excursion.

2 hours ago, mjmalino said:

We are currently scheduled on a South American cruise in February 2022 and are still waiting to see 1) if the cruise will sail, and 2) if there will be any requirements for excursions before we begin booking. We did, however, schedule one on the day of our disembarkation that is an all day excursion that gets us to the airport in time for our flight. Other than that, we are still waiting to see what our options are.

We - and many others - did all our own tour arrangements on our S.A. voyage.  Except for two:  (1) a penguin experience to a farm area where they were totally booked with Princess, and (2) I think it was Beagle Channel where the timing and pricing was identical and was no difference in group size, etc.

It worked great doing our own thing with some other couples.  99% terrific experiences.

We are not doing Alaska, but if we were, we would be comparing prices, like you.  

For our Hawaii and Mexican Riviera cruises we will be doing our own thing because we know those locations well, and we've done them a million times. 

13 hours ago, Ombud said:

Now that we can explore on our own in Alaska (and other places), how many of us are booking excursions through the cruise line? I am and (1) is less expensive thru the ship (1) is only available thru the ship & that vendor isn't going to risk his ongoing arrangement by booking independently. 

So after all the complaining that I needed to stay in the ship's pod, I'm still doing their excursions in Juneau & Skagway 

Same here! I booked through the ship.  This is my first solo outside my comfort zone of short Pacific coastals.  Thought it would be easier this time around.

I’m doing the Whale Watch/Mendenhall photography tour and the Kroeschel nature tour.  What about you?

I'm doing the Juneau Tramway ($25 thru ship, $45 at Tramway) and Adventure Park Ziplining in Skagway (I've done it every time in Alaska and they won't be open to the public when there's a ship in port). No idea about Ketchikan yet. 

For Alaska in August, we're taking a shuttle up the Mendenhall Glacier (not Princess), doing a hike we haven't done in Skagway (not Princess), and just walking around in Ketchikan. 

For late October coastal, I think we'll be doing the Princess Universal Studios excursion. Not sure about the other ports.

5 hours ago, Ombud said:

I'm doing the Juneau Tramway ($25 thru ship, $45 at Tramway) and Adventure Park Ziplining in Skagway (I've done it every time in Alaska and they won't be open to the public when there's a ship in port). No idea about Ketchikan yet. 

There used to be a terrific zipline set up outside of Ketchikan, one of the best I have ever done

16 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

We - and many others - did all our own tour arrangements on our S.A. voyage.  Except for two:  (1) a penguin experience to a farm area where they were totally booked with Princess, and (2) I think it was Beagle Channel where the timing and pricing was identical and was no difference in group size, etc.

It worked great doing our own thing with some other couples.  99% terrific experiences.

We generally do most of our excursions independent as well, but only holding out until we see if they will be allowed.