Liquor

On 7/3/2021 at 10:52 AM, lobster1313 said:

Princess also has a 15 drink limit.

Screenshot_20210703-115127_Chrome~2.jpg

I don't suppose you have a Princess cruise booked?  They were the first cruise I went on and I bought liquor ahead of time for room delivery.  I think it was about $18-$24 a pint. The next cruise I went on was Carnival and I was astounded at the $90 a liter average rate.  I've often wondered if Princess ever caught up with the times, but one has to have a cruise booked with them to price them.

10 minutes ago, SCBarker said:

I don't suppose you have a Princess cruise booked?  They were the first cruise I went on and I bought liquor ahead of time for room delivery.  I think it was about $18-$24 a pint. The next cruise I went on was Carnival and I was astounded at the $90 a liter average rate.  I've often wondered if Princess ever caught up with the times, but one has to have a cruise booked with them to price them.

No. I was looking at doing an Alaska cruise next year but we already have one booked next summer on the Mardi Gras so my wife said no for now.

• Thanks 1

On 7/2/2021 at 5:28 PM, ninjacat123 said:

In Cruise Manager go to:

Categories (upper left corner)

In Room Food & Beverages

Liquor

Boom!  You can order from there!

Thanks for the tip....Are those 1L or 750 ml??

18 hours ago, SCBarker said:

I have my first cruise with them booked for next year, a B2B going to the Mexican Riviera followed up with California Coastal.

Don't know or care how much Princess charges per bottle because they charge 40.00 a day pp for their upgrade package of drinks, tips and wifi.  After factoring out the 14.50 for tips, you pay 25.50 for drinks and wifi.  The same package on Carnival would be about 90.00 a day for Cheers, grats and wifi.

• Thanks 1

On 7/2/2021 at 1:38 PM, Qchell said:

We find it worth the price to not have to deal with all of that now.  Granted some folks simply cannot afford it, but I have to admit to not missing the hassle of carrying drinks on and running back and forth to the stateroom.

I actually find it to be the opposite. I find it more convenient to pour in the room. At minimum, I am already in the room when I wake up, and then again to get ready for the night. I will pour myself a glass/tumbler of bourbon that is easily 3-4x the minuscule bar pour. This is often far more convenient than waiting in line at a crowded bar, especially at high-traffic areas like the pool bars.

• Like 1

I agree about the minuscule pours.  I drink single malt scotch at night and on my two previous Carnival cruises would sit at the bar for 5 minutes so my second shot at least covered the ice.  For anyone unaware they make you wait 5 minutes between drink orders.

Edited by ejnsb
  • Like 2

On 7/2/2021 at 7:42 AM, crewsweeper said:

When did this start?  They used to just "throw them away"  although I've always suspected the security folks had some great happy hours after the ships departed.

Exactly.  I’ve never in the history of cruising ever heard of one single person kicked off the ship for trying to sneak on booze 

Back in the day I’d pack a full 18 pack of beer, 1 large bottle of both whiskey and vodka and a few 2 liters of mixer and put it all in its own small rolling suitcase ….not trying to hide anything 😜🍹🍹

All the while knowing it could possibly be confiscated but it made it to the cabin every single time 

When they finally cracked down on even bringing water onboard I calmed down 

Now I cruise with NCL for years and the booze pkg is included and All I can drink.  No 15 a day max BS like Carnival has 🤣🤣🍹🍹😜

There are tons of options to sneak on board. I've carried it on in my pockets and done the Listerine thing. I've considered the wine bottle trick (and know people that have done it for decades). My mother gave me some of those fake shampoo/lotion, but I haven't had a need to try them. I can also tell you it's also easy to take it right past security on most ships I've been at. I've been told to show my stuff, and then got to the guy and they say don't worry about it. 

I don't get mad at anyone for sneaking on, but I do understand concerns over the soda box trick or the wine trick leading to bans of those, but I wouldn't be surprised to see those gone just because they want to sell you wine and soda too.

To me the issue is how often I need to go back to my room to get more. I've carried around a big cup to reduce trips, but hate carrying it around.  Currently for my November cruise, my plan is to take champagne to make mimosas in the mornings (unfortunately a bottle will last me 2 mornings max) and hope for a decent happy hour option where I can stock up on beers (or if it every day just mostly drink during it).

2 hours ago, LaCal said:

Exactly.  I’ve never in the history of cruising ever heard of one single person kicked off the ship for trying to sneak on booze 

I think the cruise contract gives them that option, but a person would most likely have to belligerently refuse to go through security altogether.  So much easier and $$$ sense to just either take it away or store it until the ship returns.

2 hours ago, LaCal said:

They usually even give it back at the end from what I've heard.

But I tell you what, if they did refuse to let you board, you can bet it would stop.

I'll tell you what's a hassle (now that I'm "innocent") is getting called to the Naughty Room to open up a locked (you betcha!) suitcase and have them look around to prove that there's no contraband in there.

I've enjoyed that perhaps 3-4 times - and it always seems to be the suitcase with our dinner clothes. "Darn, where is that last suitcase..." !!

• Haha 1

On 7/2/2021 at 11:26 AM, sassy0930 said:

Back in the day we may or may not have simply NOT stopped at the "turn in your booze" table when coming in from port. They see it in your bag and ask you to turn it in, but if you get back in a crowd it's easy to just keep walking. Not condoning or anything. Just saying. Then you're not paying tax on it either...

this happened to us once, not that we were trying to sneak it in, the line was very long and after standing there a while, we just went to our cabin. Nothing was ever said. 

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
On 7/2/2021 at 8:20 PM, Wanna_Cruize said:

It's there, I just ordered a bottle of Aperol for both our August and Sept cruises. A bargain price of $50. 

Hi there I have been trying to find what size of the bottle  is the Aprol you ordered 750ml or 1L?

Thank you

On 7/2/2021 at 1:01 PM, klfhngr said:

DONT FLAME ME: I've used rumrunners many times, no issues. I'm wondering if they're stricter now. Might take 2 large ones in cargo pants/shorts. Also, I've taken Mead on by filling up wine bottles. They have the same color. I've also brought on growlers of beer from port, security saw it and said, 'Beer!' I said yes, they said come on in! I guess honesty pays off?! 😉

We found the easiest thing to do is just throw a cheap bottle of liquor you dont mind losing, if they find it, in your checked bag. One in each bag. We're 4 for 4 success rate doing that thus far. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, elcuchio24 said:

We found the easiest thing to do is just throw a cheap bottle of liquor you dont mind losing, if they find it, in your checked bag. One in each bag. We're 4 for 4 success rate doing that thus far. 

No, the easiest thing to do is just invest in Cheers.  You're on vacation, if you sneak on booze you're stuck scrambling for mixers, your drinks are limited and you have to go back to your cabin each time you need a drink. Not my idea of a good productive vacation.

24 minutes ago, elcuchio24 said:

I've ended up in the naughty room two of the last three sailings - with no contraband. Once, they thought my shoehorn was a KNIFE... 🙄

• Like 2

Just now, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

I've ended up in the naughty room two of the last three sailings - with no contraband. Once, they thought my shoehorn was a KNIFE... 🙄

Ha! One and only time I was in there was for a wine-key with a little knife on it 🙂

18 minutes ago, elcuchio24 said:

Ha! One and only time I was in there was for a wine-key with a little knife on it 🙂

We had a fruit basket with wine (from, I can't recall, Hotel Director?) on a sailing and we put the cheap plastic corkscrew in our carry on bag. On our next sailing we were held up at security (forgot it was in there) and they said that it was a forbidden item. I'm like "Right, ok..."... I'm going to attack someone with the corkscrew, and if you take mine, I'll be given another in about 30 minutes...

Tom

• Like 2

On the Vista in December I brought on two bottles of wine in my carry on.  No one looked at it.  However, one guard thought my cargo pants pockets were "too puffy" and wanted to see inside.  It was extra masks.

My bar tab wasnt too bad.  4 drinks per day at the Alchemy bar and the occasional beer.  Somewhere around $450.  

That being said, I also managed to get a liter bottle of vodka on board in my luggage.  And I brought 12 cans of pineapple juice in my carryon.  I like to enjoy a drink on my balcony in the evenings.  For those offended by this behavior,,,, the bottle I brought on board changed nothing.  Had I not brought it on board, I simply would have done without those drinks.  My bar tab would have been exactly the same.

If you wish to bring stuff on board, just don't be greedy and don't be surprised if you get caught.  I have a fool proof method (so far).  But I never bring on something I don't mind losing.

Also, for like the 100th time, I'd like to suggest a new plan where I can buy a voucher to bring on a bottle.  There is absolutely NOTHING I want to buy from Carnival.  All the scotch is cheap.  I want to be able to buy a voucher...say for $100, that allows me to bring on one bottle of my choice.  Then I can drink King George V on my balcony.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Chief93 said:

On the Vista in December I brought on two bottles of wine in my carry on.  No one looked at it.  However, one guard thought my cargo pants pockets were "too puffy" and wanted to see inside.  It was extra masks.

My bar tab wasnt too bad.  4 drinks per day at the Alchemy bar and the occasional beer.  Somewhere around $450.  

That being said, I also managed to get a liter bottle of vodka on board in my luggage.  And I brought 12 cans of pineapple juice in my carryon.  I like to enjoy a drink on my balcony in the evenings.  For those offended by this behavior,,,, the bottle I brought on board changed nothing.  Had I not brought it on board, I simply would have done without those drinks.  My bar tab would have been exactly the same.

If you wish to bring stuff on board, just don't be greedy and don't be surprised if you get caught.  I have a fool proof method (so far).  But I never bring on something I don't mind losing.

Also, for like the 100th time, I'd like to suggest a new plan where I can buy a voucher to bring on a bottle.  There is absolutely NOTHING I want to buy from Carnival.  All the scotch is cheap.  I want to be able to buy a voucher...say for $100, that allows me to bring on one bottle of my choice.  Then I can drink King George V on my balcony.

If you can afford to drink that and you want to also pay a C note for the privilege, what on earth are you doing sailing on Carnival?