Review: Adventure of the Seas - "Because this will NEVER happen again"

Rccl Fan, regarding your comments about Chops.  On our week 2 sailing, it appeared that a lot of cruisers were not eating in MDR or MTD, so I checked for reservations in Chops, and there were none available. I checked G also. and there were few. I wonder if the weren't completely staffed , leaving them overwhelmed.

7 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Curious about the suspension in those buggy's. Is it a really rough ride?  I would like to do it but my back after years of being a photog may not like it.

Cheers to you on your great stories.

Greg the Sea Dog

I'm not Wayne but took that excursion when we were in Cozumel Dec 2019.  The it was great and the buggy were more than comfortable.  It certainly doesnt ride like a Lincoln but you shouldn't have any trouble.  I certainly didn't  

• Like 2

On 7/12/2021 at 3:19 PM, prekteacher said:

So enjoying your review and can't wait until you get time to continue.  Your pictures at Coco Cay are incredible.  The first and only time we have been to Coco Cay was in November of 2009.  It was our first cruise.   I have a fantastic picture with my two girls, a cruise favorite to this day.  We've missed Coco Cay since its renovation twice due to the weather and pandemic.  Now my girls are both leaving for Japan for 3 years and it will have to wait.  Your review is wonderful and you will look back and really see just how 'perfect' it was as the years go by.  

Thank you again,

Barbara

It's scary how fast they grow !!

On 7/5/2021 at 12:07 PM, Mapleleafforever said:

Finally a new cruise review, thanks!! What does the t-shirt you wore on the plane say??

It says, "Standing up as soon as the airplane takes stops won't help you get off any sooner"

It's one of my biggest pet peeve.  The second planes stop, people rush to unbuckle stand get in the overhead even if they're in row 32.

I'm like take your time, relax,  I've done this before, it's going to take a while to get that door open. The planes not on fire.   

So when I saw that shirt I had to get it.    Whenever I wear it people always remark how much they love it.   Ha!

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

On 7/6/2021 at 1:04 AM, Tree_skier said:

We had 1688 on our last cruise!  Loved it. Would book it again in a heartbeat. 

My wife is normally all about the suites,  but she said multiple times that she LOVED that room

• Like 1

On 7/8/2021 at 2:38 PM, WxNerd said:

What a great review so far. We are also from the metroplex (Flower Mound) and are currently sailing on Adventure.

Every restaurant we saw in the Fish Fry was open. We did walk down there with our unvaxxed little people. We passed maybe 5 people along the way and ate outside away from others and when we weren’t eating we had masks on so we felt safe. 

I remember you from the social media page.  I had no idea you weren't on our sailing.  I kept saying, "what happened to the other DFW family, with kids, who told us about Love beach?"  

I was looking for you all week.

2 hours ago, RCCL Fan said:

It says, "Standing up as soon as the airplane takes stops won't help you get off any sooner"

It's one of my biggest pet peeve.  The second planes stop, people rush to unbuckle stand get in the overhead even if they're in row 32.

I'm like take your time, relax,  I've done this before, it's going to take a while to get that door open. The planes not on fire.   

So when I saw that shirt I had to get it.    Whenever I wear it people always remark how much they love it.   Ha!

Ahahaha that's awesome!!!

Day 6    At Sea

206945667_10227065103717455_478329962724181557_n.jpg.634dc49e9f25bf981ae56522da849a26.jpg

AH.....  Another Sea Day.    headed back to the Bahamas now.  Day 6 is usually about that time all the running around of the cruise starts to catch up with you....   we slept in this day.   Not just because there was no where to be this morning but also because, well I was up all night.

IMG_6568.thumb.JPG.d218b6d4e0974bd2fba2964bab879b71.JPG

We sailed through quite a storm.... even with the curtains pulled tight you could see the flashes of lightning coming through the window.

I know we weren't the only ones cruising "cruise ship lightning strikes"

Nonetheless,  It's the perfect time to discuss our cabin 1688.   

IMG_6898.thumb.JPG.da99ac31a1171c84237a16cfc908b233.JPG

There are so many Pros to this cabin.   Plenty of space.... like plenty it felt just as roomy as our usual junior suites.    I love that aft cabin balcony view with the wake of the ship.    It's high enough that the super structure of the ship does not bother you back there. 

IMG_6902.thumb.JPG.ddc1d295b9882ef99de61e1fe6d08d8c.JPG

I also loved that it was easy to find.... always just go go the back and in your little corner alone.  Being aft on freedom and even radiance class ships the walk to the cabin seems so long but I didn't feel that way here.... 

But it does have saw draw backs.....  motion and vibration.   I don't know if it's because adventure is due for a dry dock but i definitely felt the azipods vibrating while I tried to sleep at night.   It was bothersome to get to sleep a few nights.   Also on this night in the storm the motion was very apparent and I was wishing I was center ship.

IMG_6899.thumb.JPG.570bef86a5f80bacb6b2a1acb9a12c43.JPG

IMG_6652.thumb.JPG.cb0e23c74bc019d11d88b43585ff6411.JPG

Another are the poles.....   multiple.  Inside and out.   The one inside the room i thought was no big deal, who cares if there's a pole in the room.   Well, the one night I was in the room alone and wanted to watch TV I was like.... wow this pole is in the worst possible spot to see the TV.     On the balcony there's another pole that runs down and bisects the view in the most inopportune spot.   It's just weird little annoyances.  Just something to be mindful of.

696679612_IMG_6650(1).thumb.JPG.66b61276fca64bd25c23a206fc5d2cc6.JPG

Another was the spotlight.  There was this huge spotlight just around the corner from our room that illuminated the back of the ship.   Why?   I don't know.   Seemed like it would be used if there was a man overboard,  why it was just shined at the balconies was odd, but it made it hard to stand out there at night and not feel blinded.  Not sure if someone just left a switch on or what, but  it was annoying.

Since we've sailed with young kids for the past 12 years.... we've always had a bathtub we really didn't know how we would handle a bathroom with the little
shower stall,  it was fine!   contrary to my wife's concerns, I fit it in just fine with plenty of room to spare.

1038118406_IMG_6804(1).thumb.JPG.1c3f9c374cefed5feb5fdb67e7efc657.JPG

Once I got the sleeping beauties out of bed... the youngest was about to miss breakfast....  and there was a panic because she HAD to have fruit loops. 

I suggested she and my wife try the diamond lounge, maybe just maybe there were some up there from breakfast.  You know the Pinnacle Club folks love their fruit loops.  hahaha

Well there were not, and tears started to well.

209419423_10227092574844216_2773264316572139418_n.jpg.480cab0ff2afab429720b9d288e23035.jpg

That's when the super hero Jeko walked by,  a server in the Viking Crown and asked her what was wrong.    Minutes later he appeared with fruit loops and a magic show.

This,   This right here is what Royal Caribbean is all about. Caring staff who say yes, all the time.

IMG_6831.thumb.JPG.fb186c3c52b5dc3981f8d9b12f80e349.JPG

It was a relaxing outdoor sea day.  I got so annoyed seeing the huge patches of sargassum floating by,  just another sign how we're destroying mother earth.. 

There was a family scavenger hunt.... we did parents versus kids,  we had to go around the ship and take selfies of ourselves doing weird stuff.....  and the parents won!!!  earning a 3'rd place metal!

IMG_6802.thumb.JPG.65a9cdf5dfb5fc1897f3f1fcf9655947.JPG

There was pool time,  drink time,  and flow rider time.....    It was so awesome to ride the flowrider with reduced capacity.  You could go over and over again.

I also rode my very first water slide on a RCI ship (minus the little kiddie ones)
and wow --- the water was super fast.   all those commercials of the lighted slides I kinda wanted to enjoy it..... but all 230 pounds of me flew down that slide and I landed in a huge splash.   It is definitely a racer slide!!

We headed back to the pool deck and sat out and got amazing service from our favorite bartender Cory.

IMG_6818.thumb.JPG.45239332b640df81148c20b92fdd5a3f.JPG

I have to tell you, the bar staff on this ship was amazing.  Like 125%   I'm not a big drinker, not at all,  I usually only drink water and lemonade or tea, with a vice for frozen mojitos which I am known to down like water, justifying my drink package.

Point being, I don't think in 30 cruises I've ever had a favorite or personal bartender.   Never.   But this voyage I had like 3.   The bar staff on this ship were beyond perfect, they were all so helpful, so friendly.  

I had three.... Cory (from the dining room and pool deck),  Robert from the Champagne Bar,  and a woman who's name is escaping me but worked the pub. 

Corey went out of his way every time he saw us, to great us by name, have our usuals ready, and suggest new drinks.  We saw him by the pool, on coco cay, in the dining room.   EVERYWHERE. 

IMG_6814.thumb.JPG.b60b298e3309250f4a10fc4c57fcb510.JPG

He went above and beyond for me.   So my frozen mojitos hit a snag.....  apparently RCI has a new vendor and is using a different mix for the frozen mojitos.   The new mix is green.... and well it tastes like pure mouthwash.  I was not happy at all.  I couldn't drink them.

But on the first day I had the usual mojito... white in color.... with the green specks from the mint leaves.

207750969_10226931384938496_4420158396085577215_n.jpg.865f467d87de6d7320ea1e0132815426.jpg

Apparently a few of the bars still had the old mix... (afraid to know how old it was lol)   But Corey would leave his post at the pool deck and run to the bar in the windjammer to get me the proper mojito mix.   He was a godsend.

IMG_6913.thumb.JPG.84e496ab797ef6679f0a85954c6a28f4.JPG

Then there's my boy Robert.  If you're sailing soon please stop and see him in the champagne bar.   We met Robert on day 1, and with no live music his champagne bar was always dead.   It sucked because Robert is like the nicest guy and made me the best drinks.

I had stomach pains one night and he suggested a digestif amaretto sour....  wow. It was great, had me burping and feeling better in no time.   Robert was kind, considerate, and just plain good.  We always stopped in his empty bar, just to see and hang with him.

IMG_6838.thumb.JPG.30ccf9c036af38d69f04e8ec3e200899.JPG

One night when I swore all alcohol and was sitting at the pub, the server there was taking my go cup and filling it up for me at the freestyle machine every time she walked by.    I kept telling her i was sitting 6 feet from the machine I could do it... but she insisted.   She was amazing.

@dswallow do you know her name?

The crazy thing is there were many more ---Vincent in the Viking Crown was amazing too. I don't know who hired this bar staff, but they are working hard and they're all really really good.  I cant say enough good things about them.

IMG_6784.thumb.JPG.da13fd6d1de1ccd4f9afca7a21f30d5a.JPG

Tonight we went to Izumi for dinner....  now my wife doesn't eat seafood, so sushi is never an option,  but our friends wanted to go and she said she would make do.

I hadn't been in izumi on any ship since Oasis' first year and I did the hot rock cooking.

IMG_6780.thumb.JPG.2c18fd658232a3e559d7b4a86bec8a4c.JPG

WOW --- it was amazing.  Fried rice was awesome. Mine came while I stepped away to take care of something at guest services,   I came back to a half empty bowl and a fresh new bowl.   The server brought more since my wife and kids ate most of mine while I was gone lol

The tuna roll was awesome, service great, and I really enjoyed this meal... having izumi in the promenade was a great move too.   It was awesome eating with the energy of the ship all around you.   felt more casual and fun and I loved being right there where I could say hi to friends as they walked by,   excellent move.

Tomorrow --- Freeport ---  the port that really should be free 

IMG_6840.thumb.JPG.8ea944e41317ef4d0045ceb62ecb4958.JPG

• Like 10

3 hours ago, mo&fran said:

Rccl Fan, regarding your comments about Chops.  On our week 2 sailing, it appeared that a lot of cruisers were not eating in MDR or MTD, so I checked for reservations in Chops, and there were none available. I checked G also. and there were few. I wonder if the weren't completely staffed , leaving them overwhelmed.

It was super busy, hard for us to get a group table too.     I am sure that's all it was.   

3 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Totally and I am extremely sorry for posting the link. I have asked the mods to please delete. I apologize. I should have known.

no big deal...   don't worry.   DM me!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, poocher said:

I’m so sorry but I am apparently the only person here who doesn’t know who you are.  DWF?  Dallas Fort Worth perhaps?  I have been enjoying your posts!

trust me --- i'm no one special!   no big deal   just a cruising fan!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RCCL Fan said:

I remember you from the social media page.  I had no idea you weren't on our sailing.  I kept saying, "what happened to the other DFW family, with kids, who told us about Love beach?"  

I was looking for you all week.

We were on the July 3rd cruise. 

Wayne, I have to agree with you wholeheartedly. The entire bar staff throughout the ship were totally amazing. Always with a smile and ready to take care of you. Robert was definitely the BEST in my book. One night I was in the mood for some "white" Cream De Menthe, (which he did not stock), he took off and the next thing I know, it was on the table in front of me. Lawrence at the pool was another great server who seemed to always know when my travel mug was almost empty.😲🍸

BTW, thanks for my "15 minutes of fame" with the picture on page 7. LOL

• Like 3

Day 7 --- Freeport

219891720_IMG_6869(1).thumb.JPG.aa2e5cf899632e0ee7c15ec97f106e1d.JPG

So when RCI first announce this route and the stop in "Grand Bahama Island" at first I was like....  where is that?   Bring in Google..... oh it's Freeport.

I think it's pretty commonplace feeling about the island.   We sailed in to that industrial port.....early that morning,  saw two whale tails getting worked on, and doubled down on our plans to stay onboard.

My wife really wanted to get off the ship here, but there were like no excursions that appealed to us.    The spot for the beach break didn't even have loungers.... and the kids wouldn't likely sit through a bus tour.    There was just nothing to do, as is typically the case in Freeport.....  it seemed worse than normal this time though.

So we opted for another sea day. 

745207936_64694045829__66AABE24-26A1-4A76-A476-538CF6ECCDE9(1).thumb.JPG.4508498b103ce815ca3908289bce510a.JPG

Spent the morning low key by the pool....  before part of our group got antsy and wanted to go ashore....  But we were unsure how that would work.   We have our 7 year old who isn't vaccinated and we were unsure if all of us were sentenced to the ship or not.  

My oldest daughter wanted to go ashore with her friend who was on another reservation in another cabin.   I told her, I didn't know if it would be allowed for covid reasons but also for security reasons,  I can't imagine the cruise line would let you get off on your own without permission from your parents.

I said I'd walk down to the gangway and be there to explain and answer questions.

Well....

No need.    She was let right off....  no questions about the covid status and no questions about her leaving without us. 

Um...   both of these incidents concerned me.  I expected them to be more strict about this covid situation.... but i was more concerned that they would let a 12 year old leave a ship alone.   I'm hoping something in the system flagged that she was with friends who were linked to our reservation.

244406916_IMG_6848(1).thumb.JPG.e37e2953c3e28158c1394eb746f178c0.JPG

Not needed I turned to go back upstairs when I saw a first.... like a dozen luggage carts filled with boxes from amazon.  I guess Freeport is mail day and crew must get their packages sent here.  How cool was this?  I was like what's the address to the ship???   I would love to surprise some crew members with an amazon gift. 

233348812_IMG_6864(1).thumb.JPG.920ddabae9da25c6271cb8b86f280903.JPG

I do believe i've missed lunch quite a bit  on the cruise....   so today I popped into Windjammer right at high noon ---- and yes I know it was a port day but when is windjammer ever this empty in the heart of lunch time.  I swear it's going to be hard to cruise on a full ship after this.    This experience really does change things a lot and while I know RCI needs those ships full again,  man i could get used to this.

212142023_10227106377229267_1216937794107210300_n.thumb.jpg.3969e44ac94df0ebb86677c04ed2d542.jpg

The girls got in some time ice skating....   and I made my way for my end of cruise relaxation......   a massage.

197217605_IMG_6903(1).thumb.JPG.e677670b83a11e68e13dff7a1c32004a.JPG

So couple things you should know.   I came to check in..... there wasn't any fruit infused water as usual.... i get it,  sharing the dispenser.   But wish they had some bottled water.... I was told I could go to the sky bar for water, but it was closed. 

Anyway...    I waited FOREVER to see my therapist....  I did get there about 10 minutes before my time, but I didn't expect to wait 40 minutes to see someone.

IMG_6904.thumb.JPG.5bd4e2f64beeb6cc85dfd051b54b544a.JPG

Well.... it was worth it.  My therapist, Baby, was well amazing.  She kneaded the knots in my back like crazy.   Like she worked hard to get the stress out and was funny and sweet and it was just a great massage. I was so happy I did it, and was kicking myself for not going longer.

1641808355_IMG_6911(1).thumb.JPG.015f81ce40e7342c32dbd40ed9ea33e4.JPG

While on this side of the ship, I decided to check up the flying saucer.... that's what I call the new section of panoramic rooms added to the Voyager/Freedom class.   We were supposed to be in this new section on adventure back in 2020, so I wanted to give it a peek.    Hallways were bright white instead of the 80's pink....  it looked clean and fresh and new.... i would totally consider this spot moving forward....   I know the lack of balcony ruins it for many,  but those suites with the second bathroom might be worth it on a short cruise at least.

207544605_10226931385658514_805296888207704046_n.thumb.jpg.84f8466c9990d90d88d317fd8a20e39e.jpg

After this we headed to the dining room for packing and our final dinner.

The night that night was a night of goodbyes....  it was a tough night.

206887780_10226931715506760_23751905384921168_n.jpg.a823abf5a10ab0476e0f8a3f723372d5.jpg

We felt so close to so many crew members on this ship.   The girls got in time with the singers/dancers, including Jordan, the ice skater with a social media following who they just loved.    We had our extra tip envelopes out and this was the first time I went to Guest services to request more.  There  just so many people who went above and beyond on this cruise.

206160700_10226931715026748_2286391958076778348_n.jpg.e8499ce8163b44e35dbbb50127244a53.jpg

If you follow Michael Bayley at all and saw his posts on all the crew he spotlighted, man you get it,  they have a big family going here, and on this ship I felt that sense of togetherness, pure joy, and happiness to be working and to serve us. 

206780020_10226931383058449_8174374596403516873_n.thumb.jpg.52838efcb150ff9b7d51d0e86d34e478.jpg

There were three bars with live entertainment on the ship each night..... (wait 4 --- boleros too but it seemed empty a lot) but on this last night 3 singers, from the pub, schooner, and i think the big room on the front of the promenade (name escaping me)  all got together in the schooner bar and sang and drank and had fun together.  

838115244_IMG_6921(1).thumb.JPG.0cb3145d1a7d9eb8ab5a08d3ab60e7bf.JPG

It was a good night.  The ever awesome @dswallow brought glowsticks for all of us, people were buying shots for anyone who wanted them, audience members, even the kids were allowed to come up and sing.... and it was just a big family of guests and crew on duty and off, singing away the night.

206836233_10226931385338506_1599391624487098614_n.thumb.jpg.842b8cfcde392e515c3b34678f112396.jpg
The sense of togetherness and pure joy to be there was overflowing that night.....   our last one onboard.   

Were there hiccups   absolutely    but you couldn't go wrong with this bunch.   Great service,   great crowd size, and a pure happiness to be here, it was the perfect recipe for fun.

IMG_6929.thumb.JPG.b7737d81dbdaae880155177d8795d677.JPG

Tomorrow --- Getting off the ship ---- Killing time, lots of time,  and a Boom of a return home!
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, WxNerd said:

We were on the July 3rd cruise. 

Yes I realize  that now, when when you were on the thread for the 26th I assumed you were on ours.... i was worried something had gone wrong for you guys when I never saw you.  Glad it wasn't the case.

• Like 2

@RCCL Fan Thank you so much this has been and absolutely stunning review.  I loved every minute of it.  The last cruise we were on was Dec 2019 and it was Adventure as well.  I don't know if it is the same bar staff that we had but our experience was exactly the same.

You have inspired me so much this last week I'll try and do the same for my Serenade cruise up coming. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Great review Wayne. I hope you did not get the extreme sales pitch before and after your massage. That ruined it for me when I went to the spa for one.

No,  the trick is to complain about the same thing all the time.  For me it's "really sore muscles"  and then when they mention something that can help, I say, "Muscle soak?"  and they say "yes!"  I respond with  yep  bought it a few months ago on Allure.... the powder.  Tried the liquid before on Oasis....   neither one works as well as plain ole epsom salt so I stick with that. 

After that,  I never hear anything else. lol

• Like 4