Greece Prtocols For Cruisers

Empehi

Contemplating a cruise that concentrates on the Greek Islands & Athens.

Does anyone have an insight into the protocols that will apply to cruise tourists.

Will mask wearing be in force?

Will only ship tours be variable?

Will there have to be any testing prior of going assure?

Will you have to be vaccinate to enter Greek ports?

Thanks .....

1 hour ago, Empehi said:

Does anyone have an insight into the protocols that will apply to cruise tourists.

Thanks .....

To some degree it seems like it depends on your cruise line. Im on NCL sailing on the Jade July 25. It’s a vaccination only cruise. We don’t have to wear masks on the ship for sure. Don’t have to take ship excursions (was different then changed). Can explore on your own. We do take a rapid test on embarkation as part of check in. When looking at independent excursions, it’s been a mixed bag on mask wearing. I also have read Greece has been one of the biggest ones trying to relax protocols in the EU to attract tourists. And my wife and I are fully prepared for everything to change on a dime because that’s how life has been. 

For something this important I wouldn't rely on info from fellow travellers.  

You really need to research the restrictions imposed by the cruiseline, as well as the Greek govt ( and any other country your ship might visit).  And will it be a nonstop flight to Greece? or will you have a stopover in another country that needs to be considered.  My cruise was cancelled but I was looking at a stop in London so I had to consider the restrictions that Greece would impose on me as an arrival from the UK not just the US.

Google something like " greece travel covid restrictions' to find the official govt site.  Good luck!

Edited by mapleleaves
  • Thanks 1

Greece is a work in progress in that they have been relaxing more and more rules every few weeks.  But I can tell you a bit about what is happening now.  If you are vaccinated (and have proof) you can enter Greece without any additional testing (although you need to be careful if you are changing flights in another country that might require a test).  Greece has been gradually relaxing mask wearing rules and as of now there are no mask mandates for outdoors.  Indoors varies.  As far as the Greek government is concerned there are no restrictions on cruise ships or cruisers.  Most of the cruise lines do not require using their tours in Greek ports, but that is up to each cruise line.   The Greek government does not require testing of those who can prove they are vaccinated although they do reserve the right to test anyone at any time.  Greek ports do not require testing.

As to your last question, you will need to be vaccinated to enter Greece (if you are not vaccinated there are rules requiring quarantines and testing).  Once you are in Greece, the norm is that you should not need additional testing although most cruise lines have their own test requirements.  We know of several lines that do rapid Antigen testing of all passengers during the embarkation procedure.  Folks flying back to many countries (such as the USA) will also need to tested within 3 days of their flight home.  I should add that Greece has a special app that must be completed and submitted prior to one's visit.  The Greek government will then e-mail (at midnight the day you are scheduled to arrive) a special QR Code that is needed to enter the country.  Since this requirement could change you need to be watching the Greek Government's web site to keep up with their latest rules.

Hnak

• Like 2

What about people who don't have a smart phone to down load QR codes, how do you get  tested three days before you return home on a cruise ship? We're not cruising until next year so we hope things will have returned to what will pass for normal by then. 

2 hours ago, ski ww said:

What about people who don't have a smart phone to down load QR codes

According to the Greek website, you can simply print your confirmation email that you receive when you submit the PLF.

https://travel.gov.gr/#/

• Travellers will receive a confirmation email upon submission of the PLF.
  • Travellers will receive the PLF with their unique Quick Response (QR) code on the day of their scheduled arrival in Greece and will be notified via email (the QR code will be provided in a link in the confirmation email).
  • Travellers boarding or embarking on the previous day of the arrival will be allowed to do so upon showing the confirmation email, since they will receive their QR code during their flight or voyage.

11 hours ago, ski ww said:

What about people who don't have a smart phone to down load QR codes, how do you get  tested three days before you return home on a cruise ship? We're not cruising until next year so we hope things will have returned to what will pass for normal by then. 

You have hit on an issue that I have been posting about in several places here on CC.  I think we have reached a point where for much of international travel a Smartphone has moved from a nice luxury to a near necessity.   In the case of Greece, the current requirements with their Locator app and QR code (not having this code on entry can actually get you a stiff fine) make it very difficult to impossible for folks without a Smartphone.  I have seen nothing in the current instructions from the Greek government as to how their system can work for folks without a working Smartphone.  In theory if one had an iPad with cell access it could be used as an alternative.   And it is not just Greece as there are other countries for which possession of a working Smartphone has become part of their entry rules.  There are also some countries that may soon require possession of a Smartphone for purposes of location tracking and contact tracing.

Perhaps there will be some changes by next year that will resolve your problem, but I suspect it is more likely that there will be more changes which will further reinforce the necessity of a Smartphone (it does appear that 1 working phone per traveling family will work in nearly all cases).  I know this is not what you want to hear, but it is reality.  I should also mention that several cruise lines have made the possession of a Smartphone an important part of the onboard cruise experience.  But so far, we are not aware of any cruise line that mandates everyone have a Smartphone.  

The other day I tossed out a thought (in another thread) that a Smartphone may well become as important to international travel as a valid Passport.  For fellow Seniors who have avoided getting a Smartphone because they simply are afraid of the technology I do think they should reconsider and look for some kind of local class that would offer some instruction (or a Grandchild with lots of patience).

Hank

• 2 weeks later...

It does seem that Greece has quietly changed their procedures.  Up until recently their government said that folks had to submit the Passenger Location Form (PLF) any time until 11:59pm (Greek time) the day of arrival and that the government would e-mail a QR Code at midnight (day of arrival) which is used for entry.  However, we were surprised to receive our QR code today which is 10 days prior to our scheduled arrival in Greece.  I just looked at the Greece government site and there is no longer a mention of the QR code being sent the day of arrival.   If this is going to be their procedure going forward it is very good news for those without Smartphones.  It is now possible to get that QR code while most folks are still home which gives them the chance to print it out and take a hard copy along to Greece.    Along with the QR Code, Greece also sends a PDF file of your PLF form (which you have previously submitted.  The instructions say that you must carry a copy of your PLF Form either electronically or in print.  In addition you "must carry your vaccination certificate to be allowed by the border authorities to enter the country."

Hank

3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

It does seem that Greece has quietly changed their procedures.  Up until recently their government said that folks had to submit the Passenger Location Form (PLF) any time until 11:59pm (Greek time) the day of arrival and that the government would e-mail a QR Code at midnight (day of arrival) which is used for entry.  However, we were surprised to receive our QR code today which is 10 days prior to our scheduled arrival in Greece.  I just looked at the Greece government site and there is no longer a mention of the QR code being sent the day of arrival.   If this is going to be their procedure going forward it is very good news for those without Smartphones.  It is now possible to get that QR code while most folks are still home which gives them the chance to print it out and take a hard copy along to Greece.    Along with the QR Code, Greece also sends a PDF file of your PLF form (which you have previously submitted.  The instructions say that you must carry a copy of your PLF Form either electronically or in print.  In addition you "must carry your vaccination certificate to be allowed by the border authorities to enter the country."

Hank

Yes, I was surprised but pleased to get that QR code today. And we don't arrive until August 14.

• Thanks 1

We are 44 days out sailing on September 4th and received my form with QR vide today.  I was shocked but happy to receive it so promptly and much earlier than expected.  So glad not to have last minute worries about receiving the QR code.

Susan

On 7/8/2021 at 5:30 AM, Hlitner said:

Greece is a work in progress in that they have been relaxing more and more rules every few weeks.  But I can tell you a bit about what is happening now.  If you are vaccinated (and have proof) you can enter Greece without any additional testing (although you need to be careful if you are changing flights in another country that might require a test).  Greece has been gradually relaxing mask wearing rules and as of now there are no mask mandates for outdoors.  Indoors varies.  As far as the Greek government is concerned there are no restrictions on cruise ships or cruisers.  Most of the cruise lines do not require using their tours in Greek ports, but that is up to each cruise line.   The Greek government does not require testing of those who can prove they are vaccinated although they do reserve the right to test anyone at any time.  Greek ports do not require testing.

As to your last question, you will need to be vaccinated to enter Greece (if you are not vaccinated there are rules requiring quarantines and testing).  Once you are in Greece, the norm is that you should not need additional testing although most cruise lines have their own test requirements.  We know of several lines that do rapid Antigen testing of all passengers during the embarkation procedure.  Folks flying back to many countries (such as the USA) will also need to tested within 3 days of their flight home.  I should add that Greece has a special app that must be completed and submitted prior to one's visit.  The Greek government will then e-mail (at midnight the day you are scheduled to arrive) a special QR Code that is needed to enter the country.  Since this requirement could change you need to be watching the Greek Government's web site to keep up with their latest rules.

Hnak

This is all correct ... but ... as you indicate it can change weekly/daily;

https://www.keeptalkinggreece.com/2021/07/19/greek-islands-covid-documents-ferries-board-denied/

4 hours ago, GlobalMethod said:

This is all correct ... but ... as you indicate it can change weekly/daily;

https://www.keeptalkinggreece.com/2021/07/19/greek-islands-covid-documents-ferries-board-denied/

We had read about the COVID surge on Mykonos and the new ferry requirements.  And heaven help anyone who wants to dance (no dancing on Mykonos).  There is another thread here on CC that has the active participation of a CC member who lives in Athens (who is now on a cruise) who has also helped in keeping some of us up to date.  DW and I are going to use 3 ferries after our cruise when we spend some time island hopping.  The ferry companies do have information posted about the new requirements.  In our case we will be easily in compliance since we have vaccination certificates and will also have a new Antigen test that will be done onboard our cruise ship the day before we get on our first ferry.

Hank

1 minute ago, Hlitner said:

We had read about the COVID surge on Mykonos and the new ferry requirements.  And heaven help anyone who wants to dance (no dancing on Mykonos).  There is another thread here on CC that has the active participation of a CC member who lives in Athens (who is now on a cruise) who has also helped in keeping some of us up to date.  DW and I are going to use 3 ferries after our cruise when we spend some time island hopping.  The ferry companies do have information posted about the new requirements.  In our case we will be easily in compliance since we have vaccination certificates and will also have a new Antigen test that will be done onboard our cruise ship the day before we get on our first ferry.

Hank

My wife was at the airport yesterday and got the new Antigen test so she can travel to the USA tomorrow to see family. There were a lot of people at the airport in a line near her line who were having 'compliance' problems to get to the islands ... sounds like you will be just fine! Happy Travels! (We consider Heike a 'friend' from our Azamara travels but I didn't know she maintained a thread on CC ... if you can please post that ...)

30 minutes ago, GlobalMethod said:

My wife was at the airport yesterday and got the new Antigen test so she can travel to the USA tomorrow to see family. There were a lot of people at the airport in a line near her line who were having 'compliance' problems to get to the islands ... sounds like you will be just fine! Happy Travels! (We consider Heike a 'friend' from our Azamara travels but I didn't know she maintained a thread on CC ... if you can please post that ...)

Not sure if we are talking about the same person/poster as I do not know the name of the person I referenced.  But his/her posting nice is @mcondition and that person has been contributing to the Seabourn blog (their Ovation is currently doing 7 day cruises out of Pireaus).

Hank

Hello I am a male 50 y.o. Music returns to Mykonos on Monday. We have just visited with ovation. The island is so packed, more than 90% full, but it is very nice, especially walking around chora. The percentage of positive covid tests is 4% atm at Mykonos. Only Paros and a place in Crete score higher. 

They must have updated the website or something. I sailed to Greece on July 8th......flew out on the 6th. The QR code did not come through until it was midnight (in Greece). I was sitting in the Newark airport waiting to board the plane and the code came through at that point......it was just after 5pm here.......(Greece is 7 hours ahead of the east coast).

2 minutes ago, Lois R said:

They must have updated the website or something. I sailed to Greece on July 8th......flew out on the 6th. The QR code did not come through until it was midnight (in Greece). I was sitting in the Newark airport waiting to board the plane and the code came through at that point......it was just after 5pm here.......(Greece is 7 hours ahead of the east coast).

That's right.  The procedure changed last week.  You now get the QR code right away.  You still have to bring the vax card or negative test with you.

On 7/6/2021 at 1:55 PM, Empehi said:

Thanks .....

I sailed on July 8th.......my particular cruise only had 200 guests on board and the crew and staff were masked up the entire time. They did ask guests inside public spaces to please mask up. None needed at the pool/outside. 

It was not ship tours only.......I walked around both Mykonos and Rhodes on my own.

But if you did take a ship tour and example, you were on a bus tour. They did ask you to mask up.

All guests and crew on the sailing were vaxxed.   We had a total of 3 tests and everyone came back negative👍....first test was before boarding the ship.  2nd test was in the middle of the cruise (it was a 10 day sailing) and the final test was the day before disembarking.

14 minutes ago, marazul said:

That's right.  The procedure changed last week.  You now get the QR code right away.  You still have to bring the vax card or negative test with you.

That is a good thing....makes it easier. You could actually print out that code if you don't want to worry about opening your phone in Greece! 

I just read the front page of the Greek website and yes, they updated it...no longer says the "QR CODE WILL BE SENT AT MIDNIGHT".....etc.....etc......this new version seems to be a lot easier. You fill out form and then get a Code......how logical😃

• Like 2