What would you do for a state-of-the-art port?

MotownVoice

1 hour ago, phillibl said:

MSC is the 2nd largest shipping company in the world and MSC cruises is like the 4 largest cruise company, they probably have plenty of money.

Yep, the shipping business has been booming all throughout the pandemic. MSC has no doubt been doing fine financially. And they now have something like 5 ships back in service. They can afford it.

• Like 3

Candidly, the port doesn't matter a lot to me.  Obviously, nicer is better, but as long as it's clean and air-conditioned, I don't personally need much.  Just get me through the line and on the ship quickly and I'm happy.

• Like 3

Yeah!... Out of the "big 4" (or "big 5" if one joins Viking) on the whole cruise industry, MSC is, no doubt the one in better position to succeed these days, because they are the unique ones that have an incredible support from that enormous container ship business, to let alone all the other land and see businesses they're involved in!... They can do whatever else they want on the cruising front, and a proof of that is that they're the unique one in the market that haven't send an old ship to the scrapyard since the pandemic has started!...

Edited by Nunagoras
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Petersnow said:

Currently they are the 3rd largest shipping company surpassing NCL in passenger capacity and number of ships, according to Cruise Industry News.

Greetings from Puerto Rico.

I assume you meant third largest cruise line.  They are the second largest shipping company (measured in number of ships and tonnage).  Passenger capacity is typically a cruise industry metric.

One must keep up with the competition.  Has one seen the newest NCL and RCCL cruise terminals?  I hope that I can spell "excessive" in design correctly.  

The Port of Miami is a guest's worst nightmare from my most recent experience.  This terminal for MSC will, I assume, be at the most Eastern end of Dodge Island.  Oh, how wonderful.  I get to experience all of the traffic and congestion from the entrance to the Port to get to this modern terminal.  Let's dump some more thousands of people embarking a cruise in a space that can hardly handle the number of people that now exists.  

Can MSC afford such an expenditure?  They would not do this if they could not.  Is it the best business decision that the Company has ever made?  Stay tuned.  

23 hours ago, JAGR said:

I assume you meant third largest cruise line.  They are the second largest shipping company (measured in number of ships and tonnage).  Passenger capacity is typically a cruise industry metric.

Correct, the third largest cruise line in the world.

Regards

22 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

One must keep up with the competition.  Has one seen the newest NCL and RCCL cruise terminals?  I hope that I can spell "excessive" in design correctly.  

The Port of Miami is a guest's worst nightmare from my most recent experience.  This terminal for MSC will, I assume, be at the most Eastern end of Dodge Island.  Oh, how wonderful.  I get to experience all of the traffic and congestion from the entrance to the Port to get to this modern terminal.  Let's dump some more thousands of people embarking a cruise in a space that can hardly handle the number of people that now exists.  

Can MSC afford such an expenditure?  They would not do this if they could not.  Is it the best business decision that the Company has ever made?  Stay tuned.  

Or let us to pay attention to the detail... This expenditure has a partner... Italian shipyard company Fincantieri!... Maybe they'll to use those docks for far more than cruise ship embarkation/debarkation. Small cruise and cargo ship repairs that don't need a dry dock are a very high possibility for the days they're not using the facility as a cruise terminal. Either way, it is very curious to a shipyard entering the ports business. They might to know what they're doing!...

• Like 1

It surprises me that some ports have these enormous terminal buildings (many of which seem even empty with the biggest of ships boarding), while other ports only set up some tents, even for the the biggest ships. And in the Mediterranean ports without terminals will also be used for (dis)embarkation. When I think of it, MSC even uses Cannes for (dis)embarkation, and that ports doesn't even have a dock. They use special suitcase-tender-barges and have the passport checks in a tent.

On 7/10/2021 at 12:11 PM, MotownVoice said:

MSC Cruises is a private company.  How is that any business of ours?  I plan on enjoying this new port facility as soon as it opens.

2 hours ago, kelleherdl said:

MSC Cruises is a private company.  How is that any business of ours?  I plan on enjoying this new port facility as soon as it opens.

lol

"How is that any business of ours?"

😂

So are you going there or NOT?  Make up your mind!!!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, MotownVoice said:

lol

"How is that any business of ours?"

😂

So are you going there or NOT?  Make up your mind!!!

The question you posed is how MSC is going to pay for the new terminal.  That I suggest is really not our business.  How they pay for it may or may not even impact how much MSC charges for cruises.  

It's actually between MSC and Frontierri( pardon the spelling) but it is with the shipyard they use in Italy. From what I understand, they are sharing the cost. I belie ve Miami is also part of it with a passenger count guaranty.