LIVE - Adventure of the Seas - July 17, 2021

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

Yes I am a bourbon snob. Getting my collection at home bigger. Still hoping one day to score some Pappy. Here is a shot of the latest drink menu that has their list of bourbon and whiskey. Four Roses is not on the list even though I found it on Harmony in 2019. Even though it say's Templeton it was hard to find onboard also.

WHISKEY BOURBON RCC 2021.jpg

Wait a sec, this menu is on a ship that goes to sea...where's the bourbon that does the same thing (Jefferson's Ocean)?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

My SIL's dad had a bottle of the Bourbon where the distillery burned down (might have been Heaven Hill) and they were only able to save a couple cases, and supposedly this Bourbon was the Cat's Meow....like $100 a bottle or something....he used to be a prominent attorney in Houston.  Tasted like Roundup or maybe Pinesol!  Isch....I'll never understand how you drink the stuff!

My fave, Jefferson' Ocean is also pricey at $85 per bottle. Worth every penny.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

My SIL's dad had a bottle of the Bourbon where the distillery burned down (might have been Heaven Hill) and they were only able to save a couple cases, and supposedly this Bourbon was the Cat's Meow....like $100 a bottle or something....he used to be a prominent attorney in Houston.  Tasted like Roundup or maybe Pinesol!  Isch....I'll never understand how you drink the stuff!

Hahaha...must have been bad stuff although I've never tried Roundup or Pinesol...lol.  Some young (a couple years old) bourbons are horrible.

1 minute ago, MorganClark said:

My fave, Jefferson' Ocean is also pricey at $85 per bottle. Worth every penny.

You will never have to worry about me fighting you for the last bottle on the shelf. However, if I ever see a bottle I know who it will remind me of.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, MorganClark said:

Have you tried Jefferson's Ocean bourbon? That bourbon probably has more sea time than everybody on this thread combined! I think I posted a link to their web site earlier on this thread. I highly recommend it!

I have tasted one of the voyages, not sure which one, I like it.  Think its more gimmicky than anything but nonetheless a great concept.  I can see how the motion of the sea could impact the juice in the barrel as opposed to sitting still on a rack in a wharehouse.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

Really, I'm on Eliquis.....you mean I can only have 2 per day...no one ever told me that🤣

I'm on Eliquis also. ABOC's (Adult Beverages Of Choice) without alcohol? That's downright sacrilegious. Ohh, the horror! 😩

Edited by MorganClark

1 minute ago, MorganClark said:

I'm on Eliquis also. ABOC's (Adult Beverages Of Choice) without alcohol? That's downright sacrilegious. Ohh, the horror!

Well I would say that puts to rest any alcohol interaction.☺

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

You will never have to worry about me fighting you for the last bottle on the shelf. However, if I ever see a bottle I know who it will remind me of.

With a CC screen name of "Ocean Boy", you're a perfect match for Jefferson's Ocean. If you love bourbon, I highly recommend trying it.

5 hours ago, MorganClark said:

I know @dswallowposted a similar pic of the front of the Duck & Dog Pub, but here it is again;

20210720_010753.jpg

And, this is the only depiction of a duck & ,dog in the entire pub;

20210720_010726.jpg

I think this venue previously had the name, "The Pub" (can anybody verify this?). I think I like the Duck & Dog Pub much better.

Thank you. It’s weird because in UK I think we would tend to call it the Dog and Duck rather than Duck and Dog. Don’t ask me why but it seems to roll off the tongue better in a pubby kind of way. Any Brits on here would agree?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 7/14/2021 at 9:50 PM, HBCcruiser said:

I’m officially on vacation! Getting nails done, packing the. Pre-cruise dinner tomorrow! Still no test results, but I’m going. I’m betting my work PCR test gets results before the lost CVS one. 

I'm joining the thread late as a spectator.  I used to love these live cruise reviews when I was between cruises, I sure missed them. I also have been in some really active roll calls that had thousands of messages before sailaway.  They are fun. Thanks for starting this and all also thanks to all participating!  Off to read the rest!

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Garden_Girl said:

Thank you. It’s weird because in UK I think we would tend to call it the Dog and Duck rather than Duck and Dog. Don’t ask me why but it seems to roll off the tongue better in a pubby kind of way. Any Brits on here would agree?

Maybe we should ask Kieron Cox, he's British.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Darkingnj said:

young (a couple years old) bourbons are horrible.

Oh this was NOT young.  He is a connoisseur by any definition.  Just got through confirming with his son, and this was $500 per bottle.  I only took one sip but wouldn't take 'nother.

Edited by BecciBoo

41 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Like most things it's an acquired taste. It's something you sip and not drink. I do it over ice but the purists do it "neat" without ice.

I've tried to like it, even ordered ladies Whiskey or Bourbon cocktails to be cool, but Todd had finish them off....don't like Scotch for the same reason....I love rum 

• Like 3

On my way into the Solarium, I saw this fella. Any guesses?

20210720_112420.jpg

Yours truly, just settled in my lounger in the Solarium.  Sporting my "vermin group" t-shirt;

20210720_113753.jpg

My view from my lounger in the Solarium. Btw, as you can see, I'm rocking my new "formal"water shoes that I wore last night at dinner, lol;

20210720_113811.jpg

ABOV (Adult Beverage Of Choice); Pina Colada of course. Is there any other drink when you're on a cruise in the Caribbesn?

20210720_114046.jpg

@CptAleSpillwould definitely be proud. Look at this "oil spill" (rum spill) floating on the top of my Pina Colada;

20210720_114123.jpg

Edited by MorganClark
  • Like 10
  • Haha 2

It was a traditional whiskey warehouse made of old wooden timbers quietly aging approximately 20,000 thousand, 53 gallon white oak barrels filled with fine Kentucky Bourbon Whiskey. The alcohol would have had a barrel entry proof somewhere between 100 and 125 proof making for a very tasty Bourbon but also making it extremely flammable.

Within a four hour period, seven warehouses and the actual distillery were completely lost to the fire. Of the 44 warehouses on site, 37 survived the fire. In total, over 90,000 barrels of Bourbon were lost, two percent of the world’s whiskey at the time.

One thing that emerged from this whiskey tragedy was a great bluegrass song by the Galoots called “Heaven Hill’s on Fire.” Only seems right that a Kentucky bluegrass band would be singin’ the blues about the loss of whiskey.

He exaggerated, I finally found it for $199 a bottle.  But it's an anniversary production, the original saved from the distillery may have indeed gone for $500.

Heaven-Hill-Select-Stock-20th-Anniversary-Fire-Edition-Bottle-750.png

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Sea Dog said:

Heaven Hill, a great distillery. I don't know that I would pay that much but I would like to try it.

Well nobody but the gents in the room liked it, the ladies all turned up their noses!  Ick  He could afford that easily, it was the legend that he liked.  He's been on 2 cruises to the South Pole.

Edited by BecciBoo

5 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I think it has a different name on each of the V/F class ships but is commonly referred to as simply "the pub",

Originally there was a branding deal with Michael's Genuine (Michael's Genuine Food and Drink Restaurant – Fresh, Simple, Pure. (michaelsgenuine.com)) that had the pub space on every Quantum Class ship named "Michael's Genuine Pub." Apparently when whichever side chose not to renew, Royal Caribbean chose a unique name for every venue in similar form ("xxx and yyy Pub") and bought new signage. Other than the new name, having fewer beer choices, fewer to no draft beers and a different food menu, nothing else really changed. 🙂

I'm not sure about the history of the pub spaces on the other ships. But there does seem to be a similarity, though.

• Thanks 1