LIVE - Adventure of the Seas - July 17, 2021

32 minutes ago, HBCcruiser said:

Thanks for following along. We all had a great cruise. Everything was perfect except for the WiFi. Our cabin was aft and for some reason we had really poor service there. It was great meeting people. Due to the small number of passengers you wind up seeing the same people and getting to know them. 😃

My complaints were; 1. the misinformation RCI gave out (in writing) that a covid pcr test was required 5 days or less from arriving in the Bahamas (which I had) when in fact, it was actually 5 days or less from sailing date. I gave RCI a "3" on their post-cruise survey in the check-in process section solely for this reason (I gave 9's & 10's in all other sections of the survey). 2. the snail-like slowness in uploading videos using Voom. I thought that  uploading pics & text were fairly good with Voom. It was just uploading videos.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MorganClark said:

@Akina13

Even though I didn't use VeriFLY when I flew in to Nassau, can I download the app and use it for my return flight (to Grand Rapids, MI) in order to by-pass the mess/congestion  at Nassau airport? Also, how about Global? (I didn't use Global for my flight to Nassau either). Is it worth it to have both?

YES! Download and enter a new trip (to the US). You are on American, right? If you have Global, use it. The line is on the left. You can’t miss it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A note on Global Entry — currently at least in LA — you can’t get an appointment for months.  When I tried, back in early June, the next appointments were for early November.  And that’s before you even start the processing time.  So this late in the game, for AOS out of Bahamas, you’re unlikely to get Global Entry.  Sounds like VeriFLY is super helpful though.  I set mine up already, just need to add trips and test results when we are close to travel time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, HBCcruiser said:

Enjoy!! The cruise went by so fast. Don’t forget to have that second antigen test. If your hotel does not offer it walk next door to the Hilton. They had it. Talk to you soon on our other thread. 

Thanks! Yeah, I found out that there will be a mobile medical team here at the hotel lobby (Holiday Inn Express), giving rapid antigen tests tomorrow (Mon) at 3 pm.

It was so great to finally meet you (& your daughters and friend) and officially have a VERY SUCCESSFUL inaugural RP cruise. Let's do it again!

Edited by MorganClark
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, MorganClark said:

My complaints were; 1. the misinformation RCI gave out (in writing) that a covid pcr test was required 5 days or less from arriving in the Bahamas (which I had) when in fact, it was actually 5 days or less from sailing date. I gave RCI a "3" on their post-cruise survey in the check-in process section solely for this reason (I gave 9's & 10's in all other sections of the survey). 2. the snail-like slowness in uploading videos using Voom. I thought that  uploading pics & text were fairly good with Voom. It was just uploading videos.

I agree with you on both counts. I think our cabin WiFi was messed up. My DD complained and they tried to reboot it but it still did not work. I will be mentioning that! We paid for the streaming but could not stream at all. I could not even post text at times. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, HBCcruiser said:

IMO it was. We would up changing some of our Chops reservation to Giovani’s. We preferred the food and staff there. A really fun group! BTW don’t forget to fill out the Royal survey and mention special staff members by name. It help them with salary and promotions. There were so many on this cruise. Luckily my DD wrote all of their names down. 

The filet:

8B429CC0-32BC-4EF7-946F-C6B899E3E836.jpeg

Oh, I forgot to tell you. On the dock in Freeport, I was about to reboard AOS when I look to the right (down the dock) and the Captain is walking down the dock examining the ship's hull. He walked right up to me when I waved "hi" to him. He ended up talking with me about 5 - 6 minutes! He was a real nice guy. He was from Poland. I took the opportunity to personally tell him how awesome his crew & hotel staff have been on the cruise. I also told him that I loved the AOS and that the cruise exceeded my expectations. I really appreciated that he took the time to talk with me.

Edited by MorganClark
  • Like 7

40 minutes ago, MorganClark said:

Thanks! I defer all credit for this LIVE thread to @HBCcruiser, who started (& posted to) it.

Yeah, I live in Muskegon, right up 31 from Holland (where your dad grew up). Where do you live? For this cruise, I pretty much had to fly of Grand Rapids because of the connecting flights. Delta connecting in Atlanta was the best choice (shorter layover & decent airfare). But, I am trying to book with United because they have a "shuttle" flight (United Express) to/from Muskegon Airport from/to Chicago O'Hare Airport. From O'Hara, you can fly anywhere. As  matter of fact, for my next cruise (Celebrity Edge, Oct 2-9, 2021 out of Port Everglades), I will be flying out United out of Muskegon. But, for this particular cruise, flying Delta out of GR was the best choice (for the aforementioned reasons).

Yeah, since I am so close to Holland, I have a pair of formal wooden water shoes. I should've worn them to formal night dinner when I lost my regular shoes on Adventure of the Seas. @RumRunner2021 and @oteixeiraknow what I'm talking about 😉.

My parents met at Hope College and moved back to NJ, where my mom grew up. That's my stomping grounds, but moved to CT due to my husband's and my work. Yes to the wooden shoes - my kids have them as well, although not the formal water variety 🙂

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, HBCcruiser said:

Thanks but credit goes to you and others who posted. The group “LIVE” was started because I knew I’d be busy with the fam. It’s been great to see everyone’s experience with the AOS. I think we all had a great time, felt safe the entire time, loved the staff, food and drinks, and agree that we experienced cruise history with having only 1100 on board. 😎

I agree 100% (which the passenger capacity was NOT at). I think you really helped everyone following and posting to this thread by having the word "LIVE" capitalized in the subject line. I just always looked for "LIVE" when I wanted to quickly find the thread.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, HBCcruiser said:

YES! Download and enter a new trip (to the US). You are on American, right? If you have Global, use it. The line is on the left. You can’t miss it. 

Thanks. I'm on Delta. How do I get hooked up with Global? Also download an app?

24 minutes ago, 3kidsncats said:

A note on Global Entry — currently at least in LA — you can’t get an appointment for months.  When I tried, back in early June, the next appointments were for early November.  And that’s before you even start the processing time.  So this late in the game, for AOS out of Bahamas, you’re unlikely to get Global Entry.  Sounds like VeriFLY is super helpful though.  I set mine up already, just need to add trips and test results when we are close to travel time. 

Thanks. Sounds like I'll be able to use VeriFLY but not Global for my return flight (Delta) back to the U.S. (Grand Rapids, MI)?

17 minutes ago, CTGen04 said:

My parents met at Hope College and moved back to NJ, where my mom grew up. That's my stomping grounds, but moved to CT due to my husband's and my work. Yes to the wooden shoes - my kids have them as well, although not the formal water variety 🙂

Yeah,I don't know if you read my entries on this thread earlier about losing my shoes at ship security and having to wear my water shoes (I even posted a pic) to dinner on formal night. That's why I joked that they were my "formal" water shoes, lol.

Edited by MorganClark

@CptAleSpillwould be proud of me. While trying to brew coffee in my room using this VERY uncooperative coffee maker, I had not one but two coffee spills. I think I will change my CC screen name to; CptCoffeSpill.

20210725_110833.jpg

Looking down at the tile floor in my room. If you look closely, you can see the coffee stain;

20210725_110844.jpg

Since I can't have coffee in my room (no way am I going to try that coffee maker again), I went to my "go-to" - a green Monster;

20210725_110903.jpg

Edited by MorganClark
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, MorganClark said:

Yeah,I don't know if you read my entries on this thread earlier about losing my shoes at ship security and having to wear my water shoes (I even posted a pic) to dinner on formal night. That's why I joked that they were my "formal" water shoes, lol.

Oh yes, I did read that post and enjoyed the photo that went along with it!!  😂 I read every post in this thread, some more than once! I've never followed a live thread before, may be spoiled from now on - so engaging, and generous of you all to post so many pictures, answer so many questions. It was awesome!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CTGen04 said:

Oh yes, I did read that post and enjoyed the photo that went along with it!!  😂 I read every post in this thread, some more than once! I've never followed a live thread before, may be spoiled from now on - so engaging, and generous of you all to post so many pictures, answer so many questions. It was awesome!

Thanks so much for your kind words which may inspire me to do a LIVE thread for my Oct 2nd Celebrity Edge cruise! Stay tuned...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MorganClark said:

So does that mean Monday or later for a Saturday sailing based on the current 5 day guidelines (I know they are changing on August 1)?

• Like 1

@Akina13

Even though I didn't use VeriFLY when I flew in to Nassau, can I download the app and use it for my return flight (to Grand Rapids, MI) in order to by-pass the mess/congestion  at Nassau airport? Also, how about Global? (I didn't use Global for my flight to Nassau either). Is it worth it to have both?

48 minutes ago, MorganClark said:

Thanks. I'm on Delta. How do I get hooked up with Global? Also download an app?

When you get home, go here and sign up for global entry. It's similar to the TSA pre-check, but is for international travel. With the amount of trips you have planned, this is a no brainer and I'm surprised you don't already have it.

My credit card (Capital One) was offering it for free, so hubby & I signed up about 2 years ago essentially at a B1G1 price. I would have paid 5x the full price for it with the amount of time it has saved us. Not sure if you'll be able to get it done in time for your October trip, but even if you have it for next year it's worth its weight in gold for anyone who travels often.

There's an application, background check, and then you need to go for an in-person interview. Ours was at the international terminal at JFK, took all of 10 minutes. We spent more time driving to/from the airport in our Uber than we did at the interview. They also give you a card for expedited border crossings (Canada/Mexico), but hubby lost his already so it looks like I'll be the one driving over the border if we ever decide to road trip up to Canada one day. So you get the border crossing card, TSA pre-check and global entry for like $100 and it's valid for about 5 years I think. 

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/global-entry/how-apply

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, MorganClark said:

Thanks. Sounds like I'll be able to use VeriFLY but not Global for my return flight (Delta) back to the U.S. (Grand Rapids, MI)?

Yes. Global entry is a prescreening program thru our government.  It’s $100 for a 5 year coverage period.  You have to apply, go in and have an appointment during which you provide proof of identity documents.  They do a background check, and it can take a while to get cleared.  It’s basically TSA Pre but for international travel.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Ronaldo807 said:

So does that mean Monday or later for a Saturday sailing based on the current 5 day guidelines (I know they are changing on August 1)?

At 5 days yes it means Monday.  So that means Wednesday for those sailing this coming Saturday and going forward.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Ronaldo807 said:

Yes, Monday will be o.k. Make sure it is a pcr test (not a rapid antigen). But, don't fret too much about it. Even if you don't have it (or it gets rejected, like mine), the med team (on behalf of RCI) just sends you in to a near by room and administers a rapid antigen test. You get your result back via e-mail in about 15 minutes.

I know American Airlines and British Airways are using VeriFLY but unsure about Delta? They may have their own version of the app?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CruiszBug said:

I know American Airlines and British Airways are using VeriFLY but unsure about Delta? They may have their own version of the app?

Would love to know also, but I haven't find anything similar.

O.k., beach time! I crossed the street and hit my "go-to" beach bar, the "Tiki Bikini";

20210725_134240.jpg

When you hear the cow bell, it's time for a Kalik (Kah-Lik);

20210725_134656.jpg

Selfie time on Junkanoo Beach!,

20210725_134824.jpg

Here's my humble abode on the beach;

20210725_135037.jpg

Food menu for the Tiki Bikini. I just realized that I have yet to have conch in the Bahamas! How could I? This shall be rectified because the Tiki Bikini has conch!;

20210725_135206.jpg

Edited by MorganClark
  • Like 1