Surf to Stream Internet Upgrade

viperfoth

Current I have the AI bundle with surf internet. The planner is showing 29.99 to upgrade to Stream. We are Elite Plus and I thought it should be cheaper than this considering we get 35% off and we already had Surf. 29.99 seems to be full price or is that the norm to upgrade?

At least in the past (pre-covid),  to get the discount you had to either call Captain's Club or Upgrade on the ship and they applied the 35% off the upgrade amount.  

Hopefully a current cruiser an advise if this is still the case. 

• Like 1

The cost per day to go from Surf to Stream for Elite+ is 11.70 and you have to purchase all days when ordering pre-cruise. This equates to 35% off the regular rate.

Call the regular celebrity number to add items to a cruise reservation.

Agreed, call the regular number.  I called Captain's club and they put me through to enhancements anyway.

I'm Elite Plus and the upgrade cost us a total of $11.70 USD per day.

Make sure they understand what you are asking for.  The first lady I spoke to seemed to understand but she just added another surf package on and charged me for that.  I thought the invoice looked wrong and when I called back the lady had to cancel that and add the correct code for the upgrade.  The invoice says:

Always Upgrade to Xcelerate Stream 1 Device - Elite+ Member -35%

1 hour ago, AlbertaCruisers said:

Agreed, call the regular number.  I called Captain's club and they put me through to enhancements anyway.

I'm Elite Plus and the upgrade cost us a total of $11.70 USD per day.

Make sure they understand what you are asking for.  The first lady I spoke to seemed to understand but she just added another surf package on and charged me for that.  I thought the invoice looked wrong and when I called back the lady had to cancel that and add the correct code for the upgrade.  The invoice says:

Always Upgrade to Xcelerate Stream 1 Device - Elite+ Member -35%

Thanks for posting this.  I was overcharged by the enhancement rep and just now got off the phone with a supervisor who refunded my overpayment.  She had done exactly what you described - added another surf package and then the upgrade = $143.36 rather than the correct $81.90.  Already have the corrected invoice. 

Edited by goofysmom99
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/20/2021 at 6:49 PM, goofysmom99 said:

Thanks for posting this.  I was overcharged by the enhancement rep and just now got off the phone with a supervisor who refunded my overpayment.  She had done exactly what you described - added another surf package and then the upgrade = $143.36 rather than the correct $81.90.  Already have the corrected invoice. 

I just had this exact same problem, so thank you to everyone on this thread. Making sure the invoice has the word 'Upgrade' is key.

On 7/20/2021 at 3:04 PM, Cruiser Nonna said:

Any idea if one can upgrade mid cruise onboard?  Elite Plus - but just not sure need Streaming

Thank you for your help - Stay well and safe

They say "guests may also upgrade their Surf Wi-fi to Stream Wi-Fi once onboard the ship" so certainly onboard. I don't see why mid-cruise would be problem, but I have no idea about it being prorated. 

16 hours ago, HskrCrsr said:

They say "guests may also upgrade their Surf Wi-fi to Stream Wi-Fi once onboard the ship" so certainly onboard. I don't see why mid-cruise would be problem, but I have no idea about it being prorated. 

Did this on the 7/24 sailing on the second day or the day after embarkation day, it was prorated.  The wifi basically wasn't working that morning (go to a website, wait 30-60 second pass for it to say page failed to load 95% of the time), asked guest relations would it work if we upgraded to Stream and was told Stream is at least twice as fast as Surf, they said (no idea if this was standard policy or if this was only offered because they saw the wifi stunk) they would upgrade us we have 24 hours to cancel the upgrade, if we cancelled we wouldn't be charged.  They even called the next morning to see how we liked it and remind us of the deadline.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, irvington said:

Does it just track on your account number and know that you have purchased streaming?

is the internet package just for one device per cabin?

You set up an account that tracks to your stateroom number / password and is used to connect your device to the ship's WiFi system.  The speed offered to you will be based upon the system knowing you by your account and then what package you have.

At the moment, Xcelerate (Stream) is $35 per day (pre-cruise purchase price - not sure about onboard) for one device at a time, $55 for two devices.

Depending upon your status, you may receive a 10% discount off those prices.  Depending upon what cabin class you've booked, it might even be free.

• Like 1

Does anyone know if I'll be able to use What's App with the basic internet package or will I need to upgrade, on The Edge.

The rep I just spoke to said it's more expensive to book on the ship than upgrading before we sail, so I ma trying to figure out if I need to upgrade.  I need to call home and text on what's app during the cruise.

4 minutes ago, Gambler458 said:

Does anyone know if I'll be able to use What's App with the basic internet package or will I need to upgrade, on The Edge.

The rep I just spoke to said it's more expensive to book on the ship than upgrading before we sail, so I ma trying to figure out if I need to upgrade.  I need to call home and text on what's app during the cruise.

With the basic internet you can message via

WhatsApp but your calls will not go through. You will have to upgrade your internet to use voice. 

• Thanks 1

I just upgraded both beverage package and WiFi by calling. I’m Elite but after the rep incorrectly tried to charge me for the full package she got it somewhat correct. Beverage package was $75.60 & internet was 61.46 which I believe was the current price for the upgrade that already included a discount & the elite (I think she gave me the elite + @ 35 % vs elite @ 30%) so I’ll take it

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, snyniew said:

I just upgraded both beverage package and WiFi by calling. I’m Elite but after the rep incorrectly tried to charge me for the full package she got it somewhat correct. Beverage package was $75.60 & internet was 61.46 which I believe was the current price for the upgrade that already included a discount & the elite (I think she gave me the elite + @ 35 % vs elite @ 30%) so I’ll take it

I think you may be the lucky recipient of a pricing error.  The Surf to Stream upgrade with the 35% Elite Plus discount is $11.70 pd, so 7 days should have been $81.90.

But if they are offering a 10% discount I’ve read on here that you get the current discount plus the elite discount. So I do believe it’s it’s correct. 13.50 to upgrade plus a 10% discount + the 30% discount is close. Either way I’ll take it. 

Edited by snyniew

2 hours ago, jelayne said:

I think you may be the lucky recipient of a pricing error.  The Surf to Stream upgrade with the 35% Elite Plus discount is $11.70 pd, so 7 days should have been $81.90.

I’m super confused now...

I paid $165.41 to upgrade from Surf to Stream for a 7 day cruise. I’m Select, so 25% discount. 

So that’s $23.63 a day. Did she over charge me?

15 minutes ago, Seany527 said:

I’m super confused now...

I paid $165.41 to upgrade from Surf to Stream for a 7 day cruise. I’m Select, so 25% discount. 

So that’s $23.63 a day. Did she over charge me?

I think you were charged for a new single device package instead of an upgrade. This is what originally happened to me and the cost was almost the same.

Check your email for the transaction; it should say ”Always Upgrade to Xcelerate Stream 1 Device”, not ”Xcelerate Stream 1 Device.” If it doesn't, call them back to get it fixed.

32 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I've been told on this forum that you can't post on CC unless you have streaming? Sounds crazy to me. True/false?

True for me. Had surf on Millennium in June and Equinox in August. 

It’s one of the reasons I’m getting streaming for the Edge in September. 

Maybe it depends on your device though? I tried on an iPhone 11 and Dell laptop and wasn’t able to. 

20 minutes ago, zaxanon6 said:

I think you were charged for a new single device package instead of an upgrade. This is what originally happened to me and the cost was almost the same.

Check your email for the transaction; it should say ”Always Upgrade to Xcelerate Stream 1 Device”, not ”Xcelerate Stream 1 Device.” If it doesn't, call them back to get it fixed.

You are right. Thanks for your help. Now I’ll have to call 😌

Edited by Seany527

4 hours ago, snyniew said:

But if they are offering a 10% discount I’ve read on here that you get the current discount plus the elite discount. So I do believe it’s it’s correct. 13.50 to upgrade plus a 10% discount + the 30% discount is close. Either way I’ll take it. 

The online price in the Cruise Planner reflects the 10% discount. 

3 hours ago, zitsky said:

I've been told on this forum that you can't post on CC unless you have streaming? Sounds crazy to me. True/false?

Never had problems with posting shipboard before.  Anything that doesn't require any real speed is OK.  HOWEVER, I have found that there have been times I either a) needed or b) couldn't use (yeah, pick one!?!)  a VPN to even log into the CC board from various locations.  A little schizophrenic, for sure.  Seems that they're sometimes blocking from certain IP addresses/blocks, perhaps using a spam IP blacklist that isn't always 100%.

1 minute ago, canderson said:

Never had problems with posting shipboard before.  Anything that doesn't require any real speed is OK.  HOWEVER, I have found that there have been times I either a) needed or b) couldn't use (yeah, pick one!?!)  a VPN to even log into the CC board from various locations.  A little schizophrenic, for sure.  Seems that they're sometimes blocking from certain IP addresses/blocks, perhaps using a spam IP blacklist that isn't always 100%.

Why use a VPN for CC?

Because the IP address from which I was trying to communicate evidently wasn't acceptable - as I say, perhaps based upon a bad blacklist.  The VPN gave CC a different IP source address, and that seemed to work until the issue was somehow later resolved and it was no longer necessary.