Carnival - Insurance now required in FL and TX for unvaccinated cruisers.

27 minutes ago, K_e_short said:

But if you are booked for January and March you have only put down a deposit which is refundable depending on how you booked right?

This is from their website: (https://www.carnival.com/about-carnival/legal-notice/ticket-contract.aspx)

Not if it's a rebooking from a cancelled cruise.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, florida eagle said:

I can not tell you if many younger cruisers who are on budgets and party a bit more are going to be vaccinated. Paying the extra money for insurance for not be vaccinated to go on the cruise will cause them to do something else though. And at some point that will affect the prices of cruising throughout the lines.

They don't have to pay extra or jump through the hoops. They can always just go to Florida and vacation. Many already have flights there anyway, that are already paid for, and FL welcomes the unvaccinated with open arms. I guess it will be Florida's gain and the cruise lines (and other states) loss. 😜     

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

They don't have to pay extra or jump through the hoops. They can always just go to Florida and vacation. Many already have flights there anyway, that are already paid for, and FL welcomes the unvaccinated with open arms. I guess it will be Florida's gain and the cruise lines (and other states) loss. 😜     

That may be true. There are many people who live within driving distance of a few hours or les of ports who fill up the ships. I was more or less directing the post about them. Although there are people who have families and are on budgets who fly in and maybe have family within driving distance. Interestingly on more diverse Carnival cruises, African Americans are not getting the Vaccination in high percentage.

1 hour ago, florida eagle said:

Interestingly on more diverse Carnival cruises, African Americans are not getting the Vaccination in high percentage.

Im not sure i understand this statement?  Theres only been what? 4 cruises so far?  Wasnt aware there were any stats on unvaccinated passengers on those cruises.  Also it was my understanding from reading the various posts that the majority of the passengers that did sail unvaccinated were kids under 12 who were accompanied by Vaccinated parents.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ledges1 said:

It will be interesting to see if the unvaccinated that truly doubt the vaccine until further tested will put their money behind their beliefs and pay for the test and insurance. I know that I would not. Vacations are expensive and there are other options.

Probably not, they just will not cruise. 

Was wondering why the test for entry to the US is "within 3 days of flight" and test for entry to Canada is "within 72 hours of flight"  Whats the difference? isnt 3 days 72 hours?

Just now, kdr69 said:

ok but it was specifically said on Carnival Cruises.  I realize the demographics in GENERAL show this to be the case but am not aware of any demographics relating to Current Cruises showing this.

I think you may have taken it out of context. We were discussing cruisers who are unvaccinated and vacation options if they can't sail and by extension, unvaccinated vacationers in general.    

2 minutes ago, kdr69 said:

Was wondering why the test for entry to the US is "within 3 days of flight" and test for entry to Canada is "within 72 hours of flight"  Whats the difference? isnt 3 days 72 hours?

Maybe because it is more precise about when the clock starts. Travel insurance policies use that language, too, when they are defining things like effective dates and time windows for cancellation. Pay attention to them if you ever have to file a claim.

15 minutes ago, Babr said:

Maybe because it is more precise about when the clock starts. Travel insurance policies use that language, too, when they are defining things like effective dates and time windows for cancellation. Pay attention to them if you ever have to file a claim.

its confusing and will be absolutely guaranteed to cause a lot of issues with travellors.

1 minute ago, kdr69 said:

its confusing and will be absolutely guaranteed to cause a lot of issues with travellors.

Well, sure it does, but it is because people don’t stop to think what the language really means. Each country or insurance policy sets its own rules. It is up to the “consumer” to follow them.

41 minutes ago, kdr69 said:

36 minutes ago, Babr said:

Well, sure it does, but it is because people don’t stop to think what the language really means. Each country or insurance policy sets its own rules. It is up to the “consumer” to follow them.

Insurance language is specific for a reason.  There is a difference between '3 days' and '72 hours' - for example, if you took a test at 7am on Thursday before an 8pm flight on Sunday, you meet the 3 days language - but you do NOT meet the 72  hours language.  Is it confusing?  Yes, if you're not paying attention.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jobeth66 said:

Insurance language is specific for a reason.  There is a difference between '3 days' and '72 hours' - for example, if you took a test at 7am on Thursday before an 8pm flight on Sunday, you meet the 3 days language - but you do NOT meet the 72  hours language.  Is it confusing?  Yes, if you're not paying attention.  

I didn’t mean to imply that testing and insurance are related in this instance. I don’t know that they are. The 72 hour vs. 3 days rules were set by Canada and the US as part of requirements for flying.

I was just giving another example where precise language makes a difference, as in the cancellation clause of a travel policy. Cancelling two days before a cruise is not the same as cancelling 48 hours before. You illustrated a similar scenario in your calculations.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, kdr69 said:

Done to make things easier for the airlines and other industries who are required to check. By using days rather than 72 hrs the checks are much faster and simpler.  A Monday test means you are good for a Thursday flight versus a 1100am Monday test makes you ineligible to fly on a Thursday 4pm flight. Dont want people to have to do that pesky math.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, rayj130 said:

Done to make things easier for the airlines and other industries who are required to check. By using days rather than 72 hrs the checks are much faster and simpler.  A Monday test means you are good for a Thursday flight versus a 1100am Monday test makes you ineligible to fly on a Thursday 4pm flight. Dont want people to have to do that pesky math.

What would have been easier is if they had days for both directions not 72 hrs one way and then days the other Because now people have to do that pesky math dont they.

If you take a cruise from Florida, do you think you come in contact with more people from Florida or more people from outside of Florida on a 7 day cruise. I would venture to guess, outside of Florida.

• Like 2

On 7/19/2021 at 2:12 PM, Purvis1231 said:

I do not sail until January but like always, I have already bought travel insurance. (and have the vaccine.)

I read somewhere that many travel policies are excluding coronavirus events because now they are known and forseeable.  Is there a special upgraded travel insurance they need to get that provides evac coverage for coronavirus?

9 minutes ago, mpk said:

I read somewhere that many travel policies are excluding coronavirus events because now they are known and forseeable.  Is there a special upgraded travel insurance they need to get that provides evac coverage for coronavirus?

If you go to insuremytrip.com you can choose to view plans that provide Covid coverage from lots of different companies, and find what's best for your situation. That's where I've gone for years for our travel insurance.

25 minutes ago, mpk said:

That was true at the beginning of the pandemic, and some policies still exclude Covid, but most comprehensive policies today treat Covid as any other illness. You just have to read carefully to see if Covid is named as an exclusion.

These policies will also pay for evacuation, which means they will transport you to the nearest appropriate facility equipped and staffed to take care of your needs. They will fly you home by commercial air once you have recovered.

The trouble spot that I see is that many policies do not specifically cover quarantine expenses. It is possible that if someone tests positive at any point in the cruise, he may be denied boarding or disembarked to quarantine if he is positive but does not require treatment.  I read a post last night from someone who bought a policy from Trawick international because it does cover quarantine expenses. He got the Safe Travels Voyager, but they may have other plans.

Remember that travel insurance is reimbursement only, for the most part, so you will pay up front and be reimbursed once you file a claim.

Edited by Babr

3 hours ago, ledges1 said:

If you take a cruise from Florida, do you think you come in contact with more people from Florida or more people from outside of Florida on a 7 day cruise. I would venture to guess, outside of Florida.

If you take a 2 day cruise on the Grand Classica out of Palm Beach. Locals mostly Spanish. Other then that. Mostly out of state cruisers. Cruising a lot since 1994 and that has been our experience.

2 hours ago, mpk said:

I'm sure insurance is available.

OTOH, Many seem unaware that many travel policies specifically exclude coverage for alcohol or drug related claims.

READ THE POLICY. Not all insurance is the same.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mpk said:

I used travel guard, they indicate that you cannot cancel a cruise due to a fear of the virus but if you buy a cruise and insurance without having the virus and them get the virus shortly before the cruise or on the cruise it is a covered event. 

Edited by Purvis1231
typo
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

I'm sure insurance is available.

OTOH, Many seem unaware that many travel policies specifically exclude coverage for alcohol or drug related claims.

READ THE POLICY. Not all insurance is the same.

Good advice

Okay, but how is Carnival going to  get around not asking who is vaccinated in Florida under DeSantis mandate? And, how  will there be assurances that the vast majority of cruisers are vaccinated? I would pay an extra $150 per person to go on a 95% vaccinated cruise [we always get the insurance] That to me would be worth the extra cost. I would think that for most unvaccinated people, paying an extra  $150 would be no big deal for them either. I'm not trying to be argumentative I have just really confused. Our next cruise doesn't sail from either Florida or Texas, but if Desantis mandate is followed I am so afraid that Carnival [and the others] will go bankrupt when many Covid cases keep occuring because of those who choose not to vaccinate.