Once a day house keeping???

pokerguy90

10 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Carnival's cabin service is now once per day. Carnival's cruise line, Carnival's rules. Welcome to the new normal, although I can see it being modified some in the future.

We chose "morning" service which was around noon for us on sea days, and the smiling cabin stewards happily fetched us fresh ice in the evening or anything else we asked for.

Life is too short to whine about the small stuff. We cruise to relax, not to look for things to complain about 

So, I guess evening towel animals are out of the question.

I've become very used to the evening turn-down but my world will continue to rotate with making a choice between morning or evening cleaning.  We'll pick morning for cleaning and ask the steward for towels only in the evening.  Just the two of us normally and if we trash the room during the day, we have bigger problems than getting turn-down service.  BTW, this isn't the first thread to talk about this and, frankly, I'm surprised someone hasn't posted threats (with the gnashing of teeth) to lower tips because the workload of the stewards as decreased.  I don't buy it.  Carnival will find with the decrease of service, they can hire fewer stewards and give the existing ones more cabins to look after.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

Because they would clean top to bottom during the day and return in the evening for  straightening up, clean towels, leave chocolates, turn down the beds, create a towel animal and set the lights for evening.  It was always a lovely way to return to your room to see

What you just explained is the "extra special feeling" I get when cruising. Once we started cruising in 2001, we never looked back and have not done a land vacation since.

• Like 4

I don’t have a problem with once a day. Especially because I always felt like in the morning I couldn’t be there because they wanted to clean. Sometimes I just want to be lazy on vacation and don’t want to get up and going. So I’m ok with this.

This coming cruise we will have one of our kids in a Pullman. So does that mean it will have to leave it up? I thought the steward would put it up for the day when they cleaned and then would pull it down at night? We’ve never had one before so don’t really know the specifics. 

49 minutes ago, kelkel2 said:

This coming cruise we will have one of our kids in a Pullman. So does that mean it will have to leave it up? I thought the steward would put it up for the day when they cleaned and then would pull it down at night? We’ve never had one before so don’t really know the specifics. 

Stewards prefer to keep them down but pre-void would honor requests to put the Pullman away and reset the next evening. The same is true of cabins with sofas that are also used for sleeping. With the post-covid procedures in place it's anyone's guess but I would certainly request the service you want to the steward.

6 hours ago, zzdoug said:

Is this even possible anymore?  I thought you had to leave your key card in the slot in order to have lighting in the room.  I doubt too many stewards would so actively and overtly flout the rules by leaving a card in the slot when you are not there.

No you don't have to leave your key card in to have the lights on

1 hour ago, coffeebean said:

So, I guess evening towel animals are out of the question.

You just get a morning towel animal instead. We choose morning service because we like to be at the pool or off the ship in the morning and still receive plenty of towel animals 😀

• Like 2

Ok, so I get it.  Your on vacation and want what you want - or what you are used to.  But they HAVE been trying to get away from 2 times a day cleaning for a few years now - that is why we are asked morning or afternoon.  Most new cruisers would likely pick one.  Those of us used to the old days would possibly expect too.

This, for me, is about some empathy for my common man.  If you took the time to speak to room stewards at all you will find out that over the years they have been burdened with more and more work load - more rooms, less stewards (we usually really get to know our stewards and ask them how long they have been working, about their family, let them know we appreciate them and not just with $ - not just treat them like some servant).   I don't feel that it is necessary to be that demanding passenger that has to have them wait on me hand and foot to feel "special."  I am perfectly capable of pulling the covers up on my own bed and straighten it up so my room is neat and only having evening service.  I am a neat freak and keep my room tidy all the time anyhow.

It is not their fault that Carnival cuts back, they just suffer the consequences.  I don't want to be "THAT" passenger - but you go right ahead if it makes you feel better.  It is your "right" which I guess is all that matters to some people.

However, you will have to suffer the once per day for at least now. 

Edited by wemjam
  • Like 10

The sense of entitlement of some people just seems completely out of hand. And blaming this all on COVID and complaining about it now is just a joke. We cruised in September 2019, and even at that point we were asked morning or evening. Hotels have NEVER provided this type of treatment, and it is even worse now. If you want to demand a butler or a maid be there to wipe your nose for you too, book a suite. Even worse is that the people with the biggest issue seem to be diamond platinum, or people who brag about how much they tip (which based on experience bragging typically is more embellishing). You would think that people with such a 'loyalty' to Carnival would be excited to see them even sailing again. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, tm_aw_love said:

The sense of entitlement of some people just seems completely out of hand. And blaming this all on COVID and complaining about it now is just a joke. We cruised in September 2019, and even at that point we were asked morning or evening. Hotels have NEVER provided this type of treatment, and it is even worse now. If you want to demand a butler or a maid be there to wipe your nose for you too, book a suite. Even worse is that the people with the biggest issue seem to be diamond platinum, or people who brag about how much they tip (which based on experience bragging typically is more embellishing). You would think that people with such a 'loyalty' to Carnival would be excited to see them even sailing again. 

Not all of us, I am Diamond and I just posted basically the same thing.  My "status" is irrelevant when it comes to being a compassionate individual and thinking of others and not just your self. :-)

Edited by wemjam
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, wemjam said:

Not all of us, I am Diamond and I just posted basically the same thing.  My "status" is irrelevant when it comes to being a compassionate individual and thinking of others and not just your self. 🙂

I am only gold, but I definitely feel the same. By no means did I say/mean that ALL diamond/platinum feel this way, only that many people that are complaining seem to throw that out there as some sort of justification. 

We were dealing with this before the restart. I really would love to have both morning and evening service, but I can live with only evening service. I shower in the morning, before dinner and before bed, so I use lots of towels. I tip the steward when I arrive and just let him know that evening service is fine, but I want three towels a day per person. I hang towels at home and reuse, but on a cruise ship they never dry. 

9 minutes ago, EngIceDave said:

I enjoy Carnival, so don't get me wrong, but it is the least expensive.

It's not the Spirit Airlines of the seas, but it's not Emirates either

Not true, NCL and MSC are almost always cheaper. Especially if you add the often free drinks at NCL. 

• Like 1

Just now, asalligo said:

Not true, NCL and MSC are almost always cheaper. Especially if you add the often free drinks at NCL. 

Not in my experience, but OK

I am also not a budget cruiser, so I am shopping at a different level.

But that is the general perception, IMO

I personally don't want (or need) twice a day service.  We ask for evening, because we sleep in quite a bit, so morning service is highly likely to find us still lazing about.

I understand why some folks still want/like twice a day.  I guess if it doesn't return, those people will have to decide whether to move onto a cruise line more in line with their expectations.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, EngIceDave said:

What if you're really nice, tip them out a bit extra and just ask for an extra quick tidy sesson?

I see the route that you are going here, my only concern would be somebody enticing the steward with enough money to potentially get them in trouble... IF Carnival is strictly enforcing the 'only enter a cabin once a day' thing. 

If the steward can be enticed by money AND wont get in trouble... bribe away. 

3 minutes ago, asalligo said:

I have to look where you're looking because NCL has always been more expensive for me. The only reason I'm willing to go on Carnival solo is that it still comes reasonably close to NCL even after making peace with the 200% fare.

I do not want to cause trouble, but I also have no issue both helping them out ($$) and getting a little more in exchange, again as long as it doesn't cause trouble.

I have always tipped out the steward at the start of the trip. Say hello, introduce ourselves and if we have anything we need (we usually don't) and give him $20 or so

1 minute ago, EngIceDave said:

I do not want to cause trouble, but I also have no issue both helping them out ($$) and getting a little more in exchange, again as long as it doesn't cause trouble.

I have always tipped out the steward at the start of the trip. Say hello, introduce ourselves and if we have anything we need (we usually don't) and give him $20 or so

Before the restart, you could certainly do this. I did. Just not sure now due to Carnival being able to claim health protocols. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, EngIceDave said:

Ditto

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tm_aw_love said:

Hotels have NEVER provided this type of treatment, and it is even worse now.

What? First Class hotels in America before covid provided evening turn down service. FYI, a First Class hotel is rated with the 4 Star Award from Mobile and the American Automobile Association bestows their coveted 4 Diamond Award to First Class hotels. 

What long time Carnival cruisers miss is the First Class cabin service that Carnival extended to all guests for decades. Then when we were given a "menu" for the cabin we were asked to choose morning or evening. ( Those in the know knew they could still request both and the service was provided as requested.)

When Carnival began asking their guests to choose which time of day to have the cabin serviced they unofficially went from providing 4 Star/4Diamond cabin service to a 3 Star/Diamond rating.

For now it is what it is and as former hotel managers in North America we have come to accept this with the hopeful caveat that the service standards we loved and appreciated when choosing Carnival will return to a more "normal" post pandemic style of the cruising experience.

For those like us who have sailed with Carnival for years and those who are new please have a look at the two different uniforms the stewarding staff used to wear. The casual gray top was for day wear (and likely still is) and is a uniform with a relaxed fit that allows ease of movement. The tuxedo style shirt with evening dress vest was designed for the turn down staff to signal to guests that it was evening and the staff were there to refresh the towels, empty the waste baskets, turn down the bed and leave a towel animal friend. 

We agree with all of you who say the dedicated, hard working housekeeping crew deserve the auto-gratuities they receive and, as is often the case, even more cash extended to them personally.

Carn Stew AM.jpg

Carn Stew PM.jpg

Edited by sanmarcosman
  • Like 5

13 minutes ago, sanmarcosman said:

First Class hotels in America before covid provided evening turn down service.

So let me get this right... You are comparing a family, "budget" cruise line to a 4 star/diamond hotel. But, it doesn't just stop there... you are also clearly stating that because a hotel USED to do that prior to COVID that Carnival should still be doing that currently DURING COVID.

That's logical 🙄

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, sanmarcosman said:

What? First Class hotels in America before covid provided evening turn down service. FYI, a First Class hotel is rated with the 4 Star Award from Mobile and the American Automobile Association bestows their coveted 4 Diamond Award to First Class hotels. 

Great and very detailed post, thanks. Clearly though as you stated, Carnival was looking to remove twice a day service before Covid. I cannot remember in the last ten years anything cut for cost savings that returned. I would love to see four star service come back with some competition though once we are all done with Covid.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1