Once a day house keeping???

pokerguy90

20 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Change happens. Conservation of energy, no matter how small, adds up. Especially when you multiply that one little table lamp by thousands.

On the newer ships (PANAMERA I noticed), your sign'n'sail card turns the lights on when you come through your cabin door and put it in a slot by the door. When you leave the cabin, you pull the card out of the slot, the lights go out and you're on your way. Everybody wins. LOL

1 hour ago, BlerkOne said:

Many of us have been cruising much longer than you and understand we can't live in the past. Cruise lines have gone bankrupt trying to disprove that. People might pine for the good old days (they were never really that good), but refuse to pay the spiraling costs that would be associated with that nonsense.

If "common people" or anyone thinks they are entitled to live in a fantasy Camelot complete with servants awaiting their next demand, they need to wake up. Those days aren't coming back.

Anything is possible if people are willing to shell out the $$$.  Please dont get me wrong. I hope you do not think I feel entitled, I certainly do not.  It was just nice to have felt more appreciated, special and pampered in the past.  

Since you have been cruising longer then I have. It would be fun to know about some of the things you may have liked having prior to the 90’s.  As I have no point of reference before then.

Regards. 

• Like 2

I'm usually a SOLO cruiser. So I feel a little guilty already for technically screwing the stewards out of another set of tips. Being a bachelor I'm used to keeping my cabin orderly with everything in its place. Always make the bed myself and hang up the towels and keep the bathroom immaculate. My goal is for them to treat my cabin as a "day off". I always choose the evening, but there's little to do hopefully.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, blondie444 said:

You just get a morning towel animal instead. We choose morning service because we like to be at the pool or off the ship in the morning and still receive plenty of towel animals 😀

image.png.4f81e19cba0d2c6a3033263238755fcf.png   

34 minutes ago, glrounds said:

I'm usually a SOLO cruiser. So I feel a little guilty already for technically screwing the stewards out of another set of tips. Being a bachelor I'm used to keeping my cabin orderly with everything in its place. Always make the bed myself and hang up the towels and keep the bathroom immaculate. My goal is for them to treat my cabin as a "day off". I always choose the evening, but there's little to do hopefully.

FINALLY! Someone who has a cruising lifestyle like I do! 👍  I was taught early on, to not rely on others to help you live your life. I've never been to good to not clean up after myself, and expect others to do things for me that I should do for myself. And EVERYTHING has a "safe place". That way it never gets lost! lol

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

FINALLY! Someone who has a cruising lifestyle like I do! 👍  I was taught early on, to not rely on others to help you live your life. I've never been to good to not clean up after myself, and expect others to do things for me that I should do for myself. And EVERYTHING has a "safe place". That way it never gets lost! lol

Hi Joe,

In my early 20’s I worked in the General Merchandise Dept of a major West Coast supermarket chain.  Thanks to my Dept Head I learned everything has a “home”. For example, if I put the box cutters back ‘home’ (after using) we both knew where to find them when needed.

That was 40 years and I’ve run my house the same manner. If I can’t find an item … somebody didn’t put it back up in it’s home! Mmmm …😅😅

🛳🛳

Bobbi 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Markmom18 said:

Hi Joe,

In my early 20’s I worked in the General Merchandise Dept of a major West Coast supermarket chain.  Thanks to my Dept Head I learned everything has a “home”. For example, if I put the box cutters back ‘home’ (after using) we both knew where to find them when needed.

That was 40 years and I’ve run my house the same manner. If I can’t find an item … somebody didn’t put it back up in it’s home! Mmmm …😅😅

🛳🛳

Bobbi 

Hi Bobbi! I know exactly what you mean. If I can't find the scissors that I last used and went to its 'safe place, I know exactly to go to my daughter! :classic_laugh:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, glrounds said:

On the newer ships (PANAMERA I noticed), your sign'n'sail card turns the lights on when you come through your cabin door and put it in a slot by the door. When you leave the cabin, you pull the card out of the slot, the lights go out and you're on your way. Everybody wins. LOL

Yes. On Horizon a week or so ago, there were cards already place in the slots that stayed there the whole time. Long ago I was taught that money doesn't grow on trees and to turn off lights when leaving a room.

With advances in lighting technology, I am not sure that it is as true today, but nevertheless, we shouldn't waste energy.

10 hours ago, glrounds said:

I'm usually a SOLO cruiser. So I feel a little guilty already for technically screwing the stewards out of another set of tips.

You aren"t "screwing" anyone out of tips because you are cruising solo.  No need to feel guilty about anything.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, wemjam said:

Ok, so I get it.  Your on vacation and want what you want - or what you are used to.  But they HAVE been trying to get away from 2 times a day cleaning for a few years now - that is why we are asked morning or afternoon.  Most new cruisers would likely pick one.  Those of us used to the old days would possibly expect too.

This, for me, is about some empathy for my common man.  If you took the time to speak to room stewards at all you will find out that over the years they have been burdened with more and more work load - more rooms, less stewards (we usually really get to know our stewards and ask them how long they have been working, about their family, let them know we appreciate them and not just with $ - not just treat them like some servant).   I don't feel that it is necessary to be that demanding passenger that has to have them wait on me hand and foot to feel "special."  I am perfectly capable of pulling the covers up on my own bed and straighten it up so my room is neat and only having evening service.  I am a neat freak and keep my room tidy all the time anyhow.

It is not their fault that Carnival cuts back, they just suffer the consequences.  I don't want to be "THAT" passenger - but you go right ahead if it makes you feel better.  It is your "right" which I guess is all that matters to some people.

However, you will have to suffer the once per day for at least now. 

I don't understand why passengers, who are on vacation, feel a need to get into the management of the ship.  Cabin stewards probably do get more cabins to service because of the once a day routine.  Of course, with the increase in the number of cabins the stewards gets assigned, the tips are increased also (their portion of the standard tips debited to your account plus the amount of money most of us leave at the end).  So, more money for them.  If, as some imply, the work load is horrible, why then do they have people lining up to join the cruiseline?  Bottomline, if you feel you're being abused because you don't get the twice a day visit by the steward, there are many more lines to check out and cruise with.  I think the stewards who get assigned to our cabin are spoiled.  After 20 years in the military, I have no problem picking up after myself and keep things orderly.  I hate clutter and put things away after using them.  I'm not doing it for the steward, I do it for myself.  I seriously doubt they have to spend 15 minutes in our cabin when they clean.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, glrounds said:

If you find it helpful, you can send me the money.  Seriously though, you can leave a bit extra at the end of the cruise.  I imagine out of all the cabins the stewards are assigned, there are at least two or three cabins that look like a tornado went through every day so I'm sure they appreciate the folks who don't live like slobs.

Edited by Cushing985
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

You can request anything you like. If the steward can accommodate, most will try. If everyone wants service at the same time, some are going to wait. Best to talk with your stewards and be nice to them.

Premature tips are sometimes misinterpreted. Most are happy to do their job and some might actually take tipping in advance as an insult - it can imply you don't think they normally do their job. It really isn't necessary, although tipping more than the minimum for extra service is certainly warranted.

14 hours ago, wemjam said:

We have never requested a specific time, and I think asking may be problematic.  They have so many rooms to clean they kind of do it in a logical order.  So if they are normally cleaning one of a hall way at the time you request, they would have to pack up and move all the way down to your end of the hallway to make it happen.

NOW I will say this, I have found that they always try to do their very best to do whatever is asked of them so it doesn't hurt to ask.

I will also say this, I have seen many references to "tipping" to get what I may want.  These guys will do it because they are hard working and really do want happy customers!  We are their livelihood.  To me this is a bit of insult as it says "I am trying to buy you off."  I would simply ask and then TIP really well at the end of the cruise!  I not only do my automatic tips, but if they have gone above and beyond and provided exceptional service, we will make sure to hand them an envelope with an extra special think you for great service $25-$50

Asking them to do it twice when this is not policy is asking them to break the rules that have been set for them and I don't think that is right to do at all.

14 hours ago, bdever said:

Thanks BlerkOne & wemjam 😉

I will not pre tip to avoid insult and I will politely request service of the room in the Morning hours after 10:30 AM with a light late afternoon refresh. If my requests are granted I will tip an additional $70.00 at the end of the cruise as a thank you 😊 

"Premature" tipping is never misunderstood by service industry professionals.  If you are make such requests, you should provide a gratuity with such a request.  Saying "if my requests are granted", that is a threat.  Experienced travelers  and service industry professional understand that when extraordinary requests are made, especially when the traveler will not be present when the personal service is rendered, a gratuity is offered, before and after.  

To be specific, demanding service at a certain time is unreasonable anyways since 10:30 am is when everyone wants their morning service.  

If you want to better understand the hospitality  industry and why this "tipping is a bribe" is BS, read this https://www.amazon.com/Heads-Beds-Reckless-So-Called-Hospitality/dp/1101973749

23 hours ago, EngIceDave said:

What if you're really nice, tip them out a bit extra and just ask for an extra quick tidy sesson?

That's what I plan on doing. I don't need my room "cleaned" twice a day, but in the evening I would like fresh towels, the trash emptied and the beds turned down. I think when talking about twice a day "service", people confuse a room cleaning with a turndown. I was an Executive Housekeeper in a 1000 room hotel, and we had a fraction of the staff at night we had during the day, because a turndown takes just a couple of minutes as opposed to a cleaning. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Dunk said:

That's what I plan on doing. I don't need my room "cleaned" twice a day, but in the evening I would like fresh towels, the trash emptied and the beds turned down. I think when talking about twice a day "service", people confuse a room cleaning with a turndown. I was an Executive Housekeeper in a 1000 room hotel, and we had a fraction of the staff at night we had during the day, because a turndown takes just a couple of minutes as opposed to a cleaning. 

Exactly. I don't need a big cleaning and we're not total slobs (or neat freaks either)

Just a quick go through. If trained and in the groove, I am sure I can knock out a room in a few minutes. As stated, you enter, swap towels, wipe down, then tidy bed and turn down, empty trash as you back out pick up and return waste bin.

BAM

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dunk said:

3 hours ago, EngIceDave said:

Exactly. I don't need a big cleaning and we're not total slobs (or neat freaks either)

Just a quick go through. If trained and in the groove, I am sure I can knock out a room in a few minutes. As stated, you enter, swap towels, wipe down, then tidy bed and turn down, empty trash as you back out pick up and return waste bin.

BAM

Exactly how much trash can one make between the morning cleaning and turn-down service? I mean, I spend very little time in my room during the day, and can't imagine how much trash I could accumulate in that time period. You are still asking the employee to do something that they have been explicitly told by their management not to do. You will be putting your steward in a horrible situation. They don't want to say no, because you might be the person who withdraws all gratuities, but they've been told not to enter your room 2x a day as a requirement of their job.

• Like 4

Just now, ScottsSweetie said:

but they've been told not to enter your room 2x a day as a requirement of their job.

You know this for fact.

1 minute ago, ScottsSweetie said:

they have been explicitly told by their management not to do.

and this you know for fact.

Was this in a memo? Do you have a copy?

1. I can't believe they'd fire someone for doing as the guest requested.

2. I stated I would also be tipping them out separately 

3. It's not about how much trash, it's the appearance of my cabin on my cruise.

4. As stated prior, if it would cause any trouble, I'm fine with once per day.

All that said, I'd love to see this memo stating that they're forbidden to enter a guest's cabin more than once per day or risk discipline.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Cut and pasted from Carnival's Return to Service FAQ's:

Will my stateroom still be serviced? What if I don’t want it to be serviced?

All staterooms will be serviced once daily. However, you may opt out of the daily stateroom service. Just contact your stateroom attendant to let them know. Should you need any service, your stateroom attendant will be only a phone call away.

It does not say that they will be fired. But, if I know a company's policy before using their services, I would never ask an employee to do something I have been told they don't do. I don't feel entitled to "more". If I want more than what the company has offered, I will find a new company.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, ScottsSweetie said:

Cut and pasted from Carnival's Return to Service FAQ's:

Will my stateroom still be serviced? What if I don’t want it to be serviced?

Should you need any service, your stateroom attendant will be only a phone call away.

I don't disagree and we'll be fine with once per day service. I will say the above statement by Carnival is ambiguous and opens the door a crack to those who want more service. Unless of course phone call requests don't require the staff to enter the cabin and they leave the requested items in the hall outside your stateroom for the guest to retrieve. That is if the objective is to decrease the number of times the staff enter the stateroom.

Edited by sanmarcosman

Never tipped a cocktail waitress before your drink in order to get it faster?

Ever tip a maitre d for a better, quieter table?

Tip a doorman to get into a club or show?

Took better care of a bartender because they "took care of you?"

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

"Premature" tipping is never misunderstood by service industry professionals.  If you are make such requests, you should provide a gratuity with such a request.  Saying "if my requests are granted", that is a threat.  Experienced travelers  and service industry professional understand that when extraordinary requests are made, especially when the traveler will not be present when the personal service is rendered, a gratuity is offered, before and after.  

To be specific, demanding service at a certain time is unreasonable anyways since 10:30 am is when everyone wants their morning service.  

If you want to better understand the hospitality  industry and why this "tipping is a bribe" is BS, read this https://www.amazon.com/Heads-Beds-Reckless-So-Called-Hospitality/dp/1101973749

lol 😂 I never said I would threaten anyone in the form of blackmail. I do manage to maintain a certain level of social decorum and etiquette when traveling. Thank you for the link ☺️ I am sure you mean well as do I.

1 minute ago, EngIceDave said:

Never tipped a cocktail waitress before your drink in order to get it faster?

Ever tip a maitre d for a better, quieter table?

Tip a doorman to get into a club or show?

Took better care of a bartender because they "took care of you?"

I'd characterize those examples as bribes, not tips.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Wanna_Cruize said:

I get what you're saying about pre-tipping perhaps being misinterpreted. What we usually do is make a specific request on the first day (Please make sure our ice bucket is filled, an extra pillow, or whatever), and then tip after the request. That sets the stage that we appreciate and reward the extra attention. It doesn't matter TO US if they would have done it anyway, My husband is a compulsive over-tipper anyway, and they need that money much more than we do, and it makes them smile. 

We do exactly the same thing.  When the steward comes to introduce themselves, I request the ice bucket to be filled and hand them $10.  I have had a few say "this is too much", but my ice bucket is always filled when I get back to the cabin.

10 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

I'd characterize those examples as bribes, not tips.

I'm reminded of the joke American food and beverage servers who work near the border with Canada often tell: What's the difference between a canoe and a Canadian? Canoes tip. 

• Like 3

TIPS = To Ensure Proper Service

If it's a bribe, so be it. Tipping is the same thing, you're just leaving it open ended and in doubt for the other party.

I made it clear up front that I am a good tipper and not going to lead them on, like some to take the tip off and lie, saying "I'll leave cash" and stiff everyone.

No ambiguity here...I tip, I tip well, provide great service, and I'll tip more.

Guess I should change cruise lines and pay more to the corporate machine, rather than the little man in the belly of the ship

Edited by EngIceDave
dorkfinger
  • Like 2