LIVE from the Freedom of the Seas 7/23/21

The sun is out today and it is a hot one out today. I am staying onboard and I think a lot of people are doing the same.

Lots of improvements going on at the port. Looks like the far pier is being rebuilt. And they have torn down the terminal building.

20210725_110930.jpg

20210725_111030.jpg

20210725_111202.jpg

• Like 3

Skipped el loco fresh and went to cafe promenade instead. It was busy out when I got here which I didnt really capture in my photo but has cleared out now. 

Grabbed a small bite to go with my coffee to hold me until M is done getting ready then we are heading tr o playmakers for lunch.

1 minute ago, jam19872016 said:

Skipped el loco fresh and went to cafe promenade instead. It was busy out when I got here which I didnt really capture in my photo but has cleared out now. 

Grabbed a small bite to go with my coffee to hold me until M is done getting ready then we are heading tr o playmakers for lunch.

Are they allowing people to sit at the bars or is it still table service only?

On 7/23/2021 at 1:40 PM, Miami Momma said:

have so much fun!!! we just booked for Oct...my husband's birthday weekend. Definitely curious at what capacity ship is running at. Also...are masks required everywhere except when eating? I know you aren't sailing with kids, but if you run across the adventure ocean planner, could you snap a pic! Kids are so excited! Thanks 🙂

I was starting to think the kids club was only an illusion. I've been several times and there has been nobody there, kids or staff.

I finally found someone this morning and she sent me to guest services. Guest services did not have it and they called them. They told her they don't have a printed copy it's on the app.

I don't see anything on there except the general info and open hours. Sorry that I could not be more helpful. I suspect they may be winging it. 

20 hours ago, Ashland said:

Nassau a port stop can you get off and walk around...vaccinated or not ?

If you are unvaccinated or traveling with someone who is unvaccinated you can only go on an approved Royal Caribbean excursion.

Vaccinated may explore on their own.

• Thanks 1

Coming out of the kids club I encountered the elevator bandit again so I got out and waited on the next one.

Carnival's elevators reset after stopping at two decks with nobody getting off. Bad if you don't notice because it means you have to push your deck again but better than stopping at every deck.

17 hours ago, jam19872016 said:

No locker rooms. There are some lockers available to store your stuff right next to the bathrooms to change but no proper locker room. Agree it is a shame.

Thanks, again. Royal is gradually cutting me off from their ships and pushing me toward other lines that still have complimentary steam/sauna facilities. And no changing room or locker room for a fitness center? I don't want to have to schlepp back to my cabin all sweaty and gross-looking to shower and change.

They'd better at least have a thermal suite, but Navigator, for example, does not. And even a thermal suite on their ships is a poor substitute for the nice sauna/steam facilities that were in the locker rooms before they started "amping" (I say "cramping") their ships. 

1 hour ago, jam19872016 said:

The sun is out today and it is a hot one out today. I am staying onboard and I think a lot of people are doing the same.

Lots of improvements going on at the port. Looks like the far pier is being rebuilt. And they have torn down the terminal building.

20210725_110930.jpg

20210725_111030.jpg

20210725_111202.jpg

Yes, they are going to build a large entertainment area with parks and a music concert venue. Also a ship embarkation building when the old building was. The plans look nice and will be a big plus for that stop. 

59 minutes ago, CntPAcruiser said:

Thanks, again. Royal is gradually cutting me off from their ships and pushing me toward other lines that still have complimentary steam/sauna facilities. And no changing room or locker room for a fitness center? I don't want to have to schlepp back to my cabin all sweaty and gross-looking to shower and change.

They'd better at least have a thermal suite, but Navigator, for example, does not. And even a thermal suite on their ships is a poor substitute for the nice sauna/steam facilities that were in the locker rooms before they started "amping" (I say "cramping") their ships. 

Agree. That does suck, Royally! Not a deal breaker for me to jump ship. We sail Celebrity as well. I always used the locker room lockers to stash my things  and to use the shower(s) after walking in the morning or using the equipment in the gym in the morning while my wife used the bathroom in our cabin to get ready. Also the shower(s) in the late afternoon to get ready for the evening while my wife used the bathroom in the cabin to get ready. Like having two bathrooms. We are doing a B2B Caribbean cruise on the Explorer March 2022 and hope the Explorer isn't screwed up. I don't believe the Explorer has been amped yet.  🤞

1 hour ago, CntPAcruiser said:

I work out everyday when on a cruise and sometimes twice a day and the locker rooms were not used much.  Pretty much wasted space.  I enjoyed the sauna, but I was usually the only person using it.

Edited by MikeBayAreaCa

4 minutes ago, MikeBayAreaCa said:

I work out everyday when on a cruise and sometimes twice a day and the locker rooms were not used much.  Pretty much wasted space.  I enjoyed the sauna, but I was usually the only person using it.

Not my experience(s) on the ships we've been on. 

• Like 1

Lunch was great at playmakers. A little too greasy but still another great added value to the dining plan.

I enjoyed a couple bloody Mary's with my meal.

For for a starter we shared the buffalo crunch roll.

We each ordered the chicken sandwich with the playmaker fries.

For dessert we split a touchdown sunday and we added bananas.

We each got a souvenir helmet to keep that they serve it in.

20210725_125213.jpg

20210725_125223.jpg

20210725_131750.jpg

• Like 6

3 hours ago, jam19872016 said:

Did you notice if they had a good variety of sports on the TVs at Playmakers?  (baseball, Olympics, etc)

1 hour ago, MikeBayAreaCa said:

Likewise not my experience at all. Certainly there may have been times when it was quiet, but it would get busy at times as well, and there were almost always others in the steam/sauna. 

And to respond to DaveKathy above, correct, they had to postpone the major refurb of Explorer, so she has not been ruined yet. I suppose it's inevitable, though.

• Thanks 1

Random observation, for a ship this empty it is hard to find a quiet nook to sit and play a game.

We had to leave the library because they are doing covid testing there.

Moved over to the star lounge and they are now doing a shopping seminar.