Ya'll Are Going to Think I Am a Bit Nuts.......Just booked Muse!

Lois R

After sailing on the Moon and being home for 4 days I feel like something is out of whack.......I was doing my walk this morning and realized how much I don't want to be here LOL.......I guess I didn't realize how much I love being on the water and those 18 months was a long time to be caged up! Anyway, I spoke to my rep and got a good price with air included and am sailing to Alaska!!!!!!  Going next month and yes, it is a bit nuts but I am really happy😃🙂👍........definitely making up for lost time!!!!!  Gotta love retirement🙂

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Lois R said:

I didn't realize how much I love being on the water and those 18 months was a long time to be caged up! Anyway, I spoke to my rep and got a good price with air included and am sailing to Alaska!!!!!!  Going next month 

Great news for Lois!!  The Silver Muse is a wonderful ship and the sites/sights are wonderful to experienced in Alaska.  Glad to know in the words of the famed song "North to Alaska" that you will be traveling to our 49th state.  That 1960 hit song was recorded by Johnny Horton and it was featured in the movie of the same name.   That movie starred John Wayne, Stewart Granger, etc.  Lois is "young", but do you remember that "North to Alaska" tune?  It's catchy and fun.  

As detailed below in my live-blog, we super enjoyed the Silver Muse and these areas very much two years ago.  Might post a few pictures of that ship in these super,  scenic locations to help build up the excitement for this upcoming adventure. .  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Summer 2019 did Calgary, Jasper/Banff National Parks, Western Canada Rocky Mountaineer rail adventure, Vancouver, sailing up to Alaska on Silver Muse, post-cruise excursion to Denali, etc.  Many visuals and details from our first in these scenic areas!  Live/blog: 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2682584-live-terryohio-silver-muse-alaska-canadarockies-pix’s/

Hi Terry, would you know anything about Wrangell, Alaska? I know there are tours there but wondering if it is a place I could just walk around on my own? Never heard of it actually.  I will do some research but just thought you might know about it.

Thanks🙂

I am getting so excited...but watching closely with the recent COVID news. I hope nothing changes with Silversea's execution over the coming weeks!!! I loved seeing your reports and there have been some fabulous pictures and reports over on the Silversea passengers Facebook page! 

13 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi Terry, would you know anything about Wrangell, Alaska? I know there are tours there but wondering if it is a place I could just walk around on my own?

Sorry Lois, have not, yet, been to Wrangell.  It's small and the ship is offering some different options.  For many of these small Alaska tourist town, I would "AM HIGHER" than just walking around the town, unless you like to soak up a number of different tee-shirt and jewelry shops.  Those are kind of boring, in my opinion.  

Are you going to be on the August 19, 2021, ten-day Silver Muse cruise as shown below?  If so, lots of options to consider for Juneau.  In Sitka, we did a private sea-exploring adventure out to a key bird/nature preserve that was super and total amazing with all of the wildlife, including whales, that we experienced.  Up close and person!!!!

Have a friend who is just getting back after doing a National Geographic Lindblad trip that reached many smaller towns and remote locations in this Alaska region.  Also, have a friend in Juneau for whom I can contact for any key tips.  

Much depends as to what exactly you like to see and do.  How much "adventure" do you seek and desire, etc.?????  Tell us more!  Keep researching and planning.  

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 242,262 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Will this be the map for Lois' August Silver Muse adventure?.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see this visual larger/better!)

1830604737_ScreenShot2021-07-22at2_46_37PM.thumb.png.a0f0bda5e761df28feaf27f68c583139.png

Hi Terry, I have been to Juneau multiple times.......and to Sitka........this will be my 4th cruise to Alaska but none recently.  Yes, I am on the 19th. 

2 minutes ago, fdnycruiser said:

Good for you Lois !   Must feel good to be cruising again

Thanks so much......I am definitely stepping out of the box for this one LOL.......not my usual way to do things but even life is not really the usual for any of us at this point. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, TLCOhio said:

Sorry Lois, have not, yet, been to Wrangell.  It's small and the ship is offering some different options.  For many of these small Alaska tourist town, I would "AM HIGHER" than just walking around the town, unless you like to soak up a number of different tee-shirt and jewelry shops.  Those are kind of boring, in my opinion.  

Are you going to be on the August 19, 2021, ten-day Silver Muse cruise as shown below?  If so, lots of options to consider for Juneau.  In Sitka, we did a private sea-exploring adventure out to a key bird/nature preserve that was super and total amazing with all of the wildlife, including whales, that we experienced.  Up close and person!!!!

Have a friend who is just getting back after doing a National Geographic Lindblad trip that reached many smaller towns and remote locations in this Alaska region.  Also, have a friend in Juneau for whom I can contact for any key tips.  

Much depends as to what exactly you like to see and do.  How much "adventure" do you seek and desire, etc.?????  Tell us more!  Keep researching and planning.  

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 242,262 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Will this be the map for Lois' August Silver Muse adventure?.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see this visual larger/better!)

1830604737_ScreenShot2021-07-22at2_46_37PM.thumb.png.a0f0bda5e761df28feaf27f68c583139.png

Hi Terry, not really into those "big adventure" tours...... I do love the scenery out there.  Will figure out what I want to do........not sure at this point.  

1 hour ago, TLCOhio said:

Great news for Lois!!  The Silver Muse is a wonderful ship and the sites/sights are wonderful to experienced in Alaska.  Glad to know in the words of the famed song "North to Alaska" that you will be traveling to our 49th state.  That 1960 hit song was recorded by Johnny Horton and it was featured in the movie of the same name.   That movie starred John Wayne, Stewart Granger, etc.  Lois is "young", but do you remember that "North to Alaska" tune?  It's catchy and fun.  

As detailed below in my live-blog, we super enjoyed the Silver Muse and these areas very much two years ago.  Might post a few pictures of that ship in these super,  scenic locations to help build up the excitement for this upcoming adventure. .  

Summer 2019 did Calgary, Jasper/Banff National Parks, Western Canada Rocky Mountaineer rail adventure, Vancouver, sailing up to Alaska on Silver Muse, post-cruise excursion to Denali, etc.  Many visuals and details from our first in these scenic areas!  Live/blog: 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2682584-live-terryohio-silver-muse-alaska-canadarockies-pix’s/

2 hours ago, Lois R said:

After sailing on the Moon and being home for 4 days I feel like something is out of whack.......I was doing my walk this morning and realized how much I don't want to be here LOL.......I guess I didn't realize how much I love being on the water and those 18 months was a long time to be caged up! Anyway, I spoke to my rep and got a good price with air included and am sailing to Alaska!!!!!!  Going next month and yes, it is a bit nuts but I am really happy😃🙂👍........definitely making up for lost time!!!!!  Gotta love retirement🙂

Not thinking your are crazy at all.  I may have already taken that prize.  In June, I booked a 10-day cruise for 2022 sponsored by my favorite winery; it just happened to be on Silversea.  I have never sailed with them, so I spent the next few weeks reading up on Silversea and watched a few videos.  Somehow, just 4 weeks after booking that other trip, I found myself booking a 33-day cruise with Silversea for 2023!  I sure hope I'm going to enjoy the first one because I am commited now 😜  The only downside is having to wait so long! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi Terry, I have been to Juneau multiple times.......and to Sitka........this will be my 4th cruise to Alaska but none recently.  Yes, I am on the 19th. 

Great that Lois has had significant experience in and around Alaska.   Understand fully when Lois shared  "Hi Terry, not really into those 'big adventure' tours...... I do love the scenery out there.  Will figure out what I want to do........not sure at this point."

Yes, you have time to figure out what you will be doing and Silversea offers a wide range of options with their various excursions.  Many potentials to consider.  Just remember there is this "THING" in Alaska.  It's the weather!!  Always changing and there can a challenge, at times, called rain.  Good news? That news?  That rain will come and go.  

Keep us posted as you research and plan.  Below are some of my usuals to either bring back memories and/or build up excitement for traveling there next month.  

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 233,612 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

Below are some visual samples/examples for the Silver Muse in Alaska.  First is the Muse next door to the much bigger Royal Caribbean Ovation of the Sea in Juneau.  Next is the Muse anchored in Sitka.  Sorry, we did not dock there.  Worked fine with tendering.  Then, below are two of the ship near a large glacier in Alaska.   Scenic??  And, as shown, the pool is usually not too crowded and busy.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these visuals larger/better!)

CMB_4676.thumb.jpeg.752eeff151731745fe1395537e37e0d9.jpeg

CMB_5680.thumb.jpeg.b1b41d279f64af64859da86722e79e94.jpeg

CMB_5889.thumb.jpeg.56d3e2b660934f542aa2fab3bd9d2518.jpeg

CMB_5890.thumb.jpeg.1b5e33c0af8fbcecc5fb1b47efea7536.jpeg

43 minutes ago, mchell810 said:

Not thinking your are crazy at all.  I may have already taken that prize.  In June, I booked a 10-day cruise for 2022 sponsored by my favorite winery; it just happened to be on Silversea.  I have never sailed with them, so I spent the next few weeks reading up on Silversea and watched a few videos.  Somehow, just 4 weeks after booking that other trip, I found myself booking a 33-day cruise with Silversea for 2023!  I sure hope I'm going to enjoy the first one because I am commited now 😜  The only downside is having to wait so long! 

wow...a 33 day cruise? Part of the World Cruise? Sounds heavenly! 

Hi Lois -- good for you!!!!  My daughter and I sailed Alaska on the Muse and loved eery bit of it. 

By the time we got to Wrangell, we'd had so many big adventures that we just wanted a quiet day to wander around the cute little village. Their local history museum was impressive, and everything was very walkable. Wrangell is a terrific departure point for more active wildlife excursions, but we were so happy to have a day to just wander at a sleepy pace. I'm pretty sure I bought some yarn there for my knitting stash.

Enjoy! Until the Muse makes her way to Australia (*if* that happens), I'll continue living through your reports!

1 minute ago, Unibok said:

Hi Lois -- good for you!!!!  My daughter and I sailed Alaska on the Muse and loved eery bit of it. 

By the time we got to Wrangell, we'd had so many big adventures that we just wanted a quiet day to wander around the cute little village. Their local history museum was impressive, and everything was very walkable. Wrangell is a terrific departure point for more active wildlife excursions, but we were so happy to have a day to just wander at a sleepy pace. I'm pretty sure I bought some yarn there for my knitting stash.

Enjoy! Until the Muse makes her way to Australia (*if* that happens), I'll continue living through your reports!

Hi, thank you for the post.....I may do the cruiseline "Highlight Tour" but walking around the village and seeing the museum sounds really good!

2 minutes ago, Lois R said:

wow...a 33 day cruise? Part of the World Cruise? Sounds heavenly! 

It's not part of the world cruise; It's Singapore to Athens on the Spirit in March of 2023.  I just couldn't resist this sailing since it will take me to many of the places I long to visit. 

• Like 1

Been twice to Wrangell. Took a short tour around the very little town. Main interest was the petroglyphs. The beach where they are is walkable for the ship, although quite a distance. The issue, according to fellow guests, is that the petroglyphs are hard to pick out on a medium sized pebbled beach, so they missed them.  We had a pair of hilarious local guides, who knew exactly where the petroglyphs were. Also a First Nations expert who met us downtown to guide us around the historic sites and sculptures. So worth taking a tour. Nice little local museum. Nothing that you won’t see in other small towns. Second time just took a short walk in town. Few tourist shops. Think I recall the craft/yarn shop! Neither time I was there was during peak salmon run, but I understand the tripmto the Anan bear observatory is worthwhile. And sells out fast.

• Like 1