Ya'll Are Going to Think I Am a Bit Nuts.......Just booked Muse!

Lois R

2 hours ago, mchell810 said:

It's not part of the world cruise; It's Singapore to Athens on the Spirit in March of 2023.  I just couldn't resist this sailing since it will take me to many of the places I long to visit. 

That is awesome😃.....I booked a cruise down under for Jan 2023.....I have been wanting to visit there for years.......finally getting my chance (hopefully they will be back opened by then).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

My favorite is excursuon ever anywhere in the world.  Do a search under my name and the port name for the details.  It was back in ‘08.

The town is nothing. So, plan to get out onto the water and into the rivers.  

Ohh...I read they have a museum.......and am not really into the "water and rivers".........will look at your review though🙂

Hi Lois!  What a great idea heading back to Alaska, wish we were going with you.  We were on the Muse in June 2019 and Wrangell was one of our two favorite stops, Prince Rupert being the other.  The Stikine River Jet Boat excursion ranks as our all-time favorite excursions and we'd do it again in a heartbeat.   The jet boat is comfortable and takes you up the river all the way to the glacier head with a stop at some of the remaining glacier along the way.  The actual river experience is great fun, it's beautiful country and the Captain took us out to the spot where the glacier extended 30 years ago when he made his first runs. It was sobering.  Here are a couple of photos we took along the way.

P6230111.jpeg

P6230198.jpeg

Looks pretty and majestic......I didn't really think about doing that tour......do you get all kinds of wet?😲

Or you stay dry in that cold?

8 minutes ago, Lois R said:

am not really into the "water and rivers"...

Would you like to see more bald Eagles than you’ve ever seen in your entire life?  How about riding in a jet powered boat across an enormous lake that is smooth as glass?  What about bears?  What about blacks and grizzlies teaching their cubs how to catch salmon?  Would you like being so close that you can smell them?  How about hiking with a guide who carries a rifle to protect you?  If so, you’ll need to get “into” waters and rivers. 😉

• Like 3

@"Lois R" Congratulations on being able to make a spur of the moment decision and take another recruit next month. 

I know you said you've been to Alaska before, so I'll just put in one recommendation. If you haven't been to Tracy Arm before, take the (one and only) excursion to Tracy Arm Fjord. We did this on a Regent cruise several years ago, and it was excellent. You transfer to a smaller (but not too small) boat which takes you deep into the fjord and close to one of the two glaciers (which one depends on the current ice conditions) -- much closer than you'll see any glacier from the Muse. It's worth it even if it's a bit pricey.

I so envy you. We are booked in Dec for a Caribbean cruise. SB has taken off 3 stops I wonder if SS will do the same. 4 sea days is way more than enough for me. Hope they do nor pull out stops. First time ever I am on the fence to cancel.

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Looks pretty and majestic......I didn't really think about doing that tour......do you get all kinds of wet?😲

Or you stay dry in that cold?

Nice and dry, we had windbreakers (under a light weight life jacket) as it gets chilly as you get on the river but not so much to be uncomfortable.  It's another warm summer in Alaska. It was not cold even at the glacier head.  The jet boat is enclosed other than the back where you can hang out if you wish - just hold on.

Edited by Fortunate2

1 hour ago, Dolcevita Diva said:

Good for you!!!  A great example of making the most of being a free spirit in retirement  - and what a great way to get out of the Florida summer heat!

Yea, the summer humidity.......you would think after living here all of my life I would get used to it LOL......I stay inside the a/c most of the time.  As for the free spirit......I was really thinking about this before I went to Greece and when I came home and got into a routine this week I realized, this land thing is so damn boring LOL

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Capri73 said:

I so envy you. We are booked in Dec for a Caribbean cruise. SB has taken off 3 stops I wonder if SS will do the same. 4 sea days is way more than enough for me. Hope they do nor pull out stops. First time ever I am on the fence to cancel.

I have a Caribbean cruise booked for December too.......it is 15 nights. Seabourn already cancelled your ports?  They know in July those ports will be off limits? I am good with sea days😃

40 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Yea, the summer humidity.......you would think after living here all of my life I would get used to it LOL......

When this afternoon’s downpour and accompanying weather alerts started, I did ask myself why I hadn’t moved somewhere else for the summer/fall…Alaska in August is brilliant!

Edited by Dolcevita Diva

Good news Lois. We cancelled a cruise Vancouver to Tokyo for September this year on Regent.  A few ports in Alaska which looked beautiful. 
I was looking forward to it too.  I’m sure you will enjoy it and look forward to hearing about it. 

Edited by jillyf

Hi Lois. I know you are also on the cruise in Dec.have you herd anything about the dropping ports? 

SS just cancelled 3 ports and turns them into sea days. 

Also probably tired of answering but which covid test does SS do? The invasive nasal or just the light nasal test that does not go to the brain.I am exaggerating but it feels like it sometimes.

Thanks 

On 7/22/2021 at 1:56 PM, Lois R said:

Going next month and yes, it is a bit nuts but I am really happy😃🙂👍........definitely making up for lost time!!!!!  Gotta love retirement🙂

"Nuts"?  Yes, like a squirrel storing them for the future.  You are experiencing and storing them as future memories.  Retirement is indeed great.  But, the time will come--hopefully not for a long time for you--when travel may be a challenge that you may not want to endure.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Capri73 said:

Hi Lois. I know you are also on the cruise in Dec.have you herd anything about the dropping ports? 

SS just cancelled 3 ports and turns them into sea days. 

Also probably tired of answering but which covid test does SS do? The invasive nasal or just the light nasal test that does not go to the brain.I am exaggerating but it feels like it sometimes.

Thanks 

Hi, nope, I have not heard anything about the December sailing.  As for the covid test, it was just a light nasal swab and no, not all the way up your nasal passage.

51 minutes ago, Capri73 said:

Hi Lois. I know you are also on the cruise in Dec.have you herd anything about the dropping ports?  SS just cancelled 3 ports and turns them into sea days

Great sharing of info and background on this thread started by Lois.  BUT, if it is true that Silversea is cutting out port stops and just filling in with sea-days that would seriously damping my interest for doing such sailings.  

Sea-days are OK, but I really love an excellent variety of unique and interesting ports to explore.  That's been one of the top reasons to sail with SS.    Keep us posted as these schedules change and evolve.  Understand the challenge for scheduling in many parts of the world with Covid flaring back up,, UP!!!

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

AFRICA?!!?: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog. At 51,497 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Hi Terry, I think Capri had posted SB in an earlier reply.......so I am not sure if they were referring to Seabourn?......... I have no clue if any of the Caribbean Islands are being skipped with Silversea.

2 hours ago, Arlopop said:

Good for you, Lois! 
I hope you have a wonderful time.

I know we would be content with an entire week of nothing but sailing around the inside passage.

Hi, thanks so much🙂.........I know when sailing to Alaska most folks do those "adventures" but your post is spot on.....just to be on the ship again😃.  Will decide what I am going to do........

• Like 1