Ya'll Are Going to Think I Am a Bit Nuts.......Just booked Muse!

Lois R

52 minutes ago, MKEgirl said:

Hi Lois,

I'm sailing on the 19th also.  Hope to meet!

Hi🙂, I started a roll call but nobody has responded. If you want to say hello over there🙂

Have you sailed with SS before?  Hope to meet you too!

15 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi🙂, I started a roll call but nobody has responded. If you want to say hello over there🙂

Have you sailed with SS before?  Hope to meet you too!

I had thought I did sign in there, I'll check it out again.

Hi Lois-

so I got on the Facebook page and There was one person who posted about his cruise at the end of July, he has probably headed home already . So far what I have gleaned from his posts, is that there was no testing to board , which may be both good and bad. Good, in that we don’t have to worry about being denied boarding if we were to test positive, but bad if we don’t have to wear masks and one of us is potentially carrying the virus. Based on his comments, mask wearing was not required (except for the crew) . He shared some pictures of Tracy Arm fjord excursion, I’ll be honest the glacier was minuscule and per his comments, staying on board the ship yielded about 75% of the experience, compared to taking the smaller vessel to get closer to the glacier. Hope that gives you all a little more info. Hopefullly, we get more “takers” to our requests for info, but if not before you leave , have a great time and thanks in advance for any info you can share. Safe travels! 

44 minutes ago, bobolz said:

Hi Lois-

so I got on the Facebook page and There was one person who posted about his cruise at the end of July, he has probably headed home already . So far what I have gleaned from his posts, is that there was no testing to board , which may be both good and bad. Good, in that we don’t have to worry about being denied boarding if we were to test positive, but bad if we don’t have to wear masks and one of us is potentially carrying the virus. Based on his comments, mask wearing was not required (except for the crew) . He shared some pictures of Tracy Arm fjord excursion, I’ll be honest the glacier was minuscule and per his comments, staying on board the ship yielded about 75% of the experience, compared to taking the smaller vessel to get closer to the glacier. Hope that gives you all a little more info. Hopefullly, we get more “takers” to our requests for info, but if not before you leave , have a great time and thanks in advance for any info you can share. Safe travels! 

Hi Liz, thank you for the update.🙂 I actually spoke with SS today and was told they are doing testing before boarding so not sure if the process has changed or something............I am a bit surprised if they don't test, just because of how fast The Delta Variant is spreading. I will find out next week.

I am on board Muse now. Boarded on Sunday (8/8) in Seattle. Now on our way to Ketchikan. Embarkation was amazingly easy; virtually the same as pre pandemic. All guests are vaccinated. But at check-in there was NO TESTING GIVEN OR PROOF OF TEST REQUIRED. Just a quick temperature check and health questionnaire. Not sure that is good. Other cruise lines are requiring proof of a negative test 72 hours before departure.

We only have 250 guests on board with 350+ crew. Getting pampered.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, CJANDH said:

I am on board Muse now. Boarded on Sunday (8/8) in Seattle. Now on our way to Ketchikan. Embarkation was amazingly easy; virtually the same as pre pandemic. All guests are vaccinated. But at check-in there was NO TESTING GIVEN OR PROOF OF TEST REQUIRED. Just a quick temperature check and health questionnaire. Not sure that is good. Other cruise lines are requiring proof of a negative test 72 hours before departure.

We only have 250 guests on board with 350+ crew. Getting pampered.

from the Port of Seattle website:  I interpret this to mean that the state of Alaska does not require testing if you are arriving from another US State.  International travel is another thing.  Makes me wish SS would sail from Boston to New Orleans, stopping in NYC, Charleston, Miami, Key West, etc.  I have never looked at domestic cruises, maybe they do that on the smaller ships. 

• Vaccinated Travel- Fully vaccinated travelers do not need to get tested before or after travel unless their destination requires it and do not need to self-quarantine for travel within the United States and U.S. territories.
Edited by cece50

Thanks CJ for the info. That is nice having only 250 guests. I hope ours is as llight on capacity as yours, especially if they are not testing. I wonder why they are telling guests we will be tested? Maybe it will change .... Are the guests wearing masks? I’m torn, I’m excited they are not testing only because god forbid you test positive, you can’t board, but at the same time it would give me peace of mind that at least we all know those that just boarded are most likely not carriers. You have to wear masks when you disembark at the ports and on excursions,  correct? Have they told you when formal nights are scheduled? I’d be interested on hearing about the excursions and the ports. What’s worth doing on your own and what’s not. I’m interested if when you arrive at Juneau if you can sign up for a shuttle that takes you to Mendenhall Glacier . I know the local bus does not take you all the way. However, don’t feel obligated to respond, just enjoy your cruise! 

.....and stay safe! 

Edited by bobolz

Hi CJ, thanks for the update.  Liz, maybe the person I spoke with at SS today didn't have the correct information/was given wrong information/didn't know what the policy is?............various reasons.

Like I mentioned earlier, I will find out next week.🙂

CJ, hope you have a wonderful cruise😃

In terms of mask  wearing, it is mixed on board. People seem to be wearing them in elevators and when in crowded areas (not many of those with the low guest count). But we have just finished a trivia session where masks were few.

We needed masks at embarkation; will need them going ashore and again at debarkation.

Will try to answer some of the other questions later. Off now to the Captains cocktails!!!

• Thanks 1

Email received from Silversea this morning:

"... In accordance with the State’s latest health and safety recommendations, physical distancing and the wearing of masks will now be required in all indoor public areas aboard Silver Muse, during shore excursions, and when in terminals. While you will still enjoy the social aspect of your voyage, it is important to remain physically distanced from other guests who are not in your travelling party. The use of masks will not be required while seated in restaurants, at tables in bars, and in outdoor areas in which physical distancing can be maintained.

You will still be required to present your vaccination certificate or a printed copy during the check-in and embarkation process. However, you are no longer required to undergo a rapid antigen COVID-19 test during our pre-embarkation health screening. ..."

Followed Lois R's impulse and decided we got involuntarily cancelled and rebooked too many times, see that Silversea has done a great job of training staff and putting safe cruise protocols in place and couldn't hold back any longer (sort of like Flo from Progressive Ins on the beach day where she can't control herself and blurts out . . . "bundle, it's a bundle") that we moved our May 2022 Alaska cruise to Sept 9, 2021.  Thank you to all the pioneers who have led the way, we are about to join the ranks.

For those who have returned, are on the Muse now or will be soon, please advise what is open, closed and who are the vocalist and pianist in Silvernote?

• Like 2

Interesting! So far there has been no announcement on board of the new mask protocols. Maybe they will come; maybe only applying to the next cruise and out. Pretty much maskless right now.

Helen and Andre (jazz) playing in Silver Note. Everything is open as usual.

1 hour ago, CJANDH said:

Interesting! So far there has been no announcement on board of the new mask protocols. Maybe they will come; maybe only applying to the next cruise and out. Pretty much maskless right now.

Helen and Andre (jazz) playing in Silver Note. Everything is open as usual.

Hi CJ, are passengers permitted to sit at the bar in the lounges?

Just received a message that masks are now required inside when not eating or drinking on Muse today. No announcement yet by the cruise director; just a low key message on the TV message area. I bet 50% of guests have not seen it. Most are still not wearing masks. About to go down for trivia. Will see if it is enforced.

Can anyone onboard ask the crew or find out where is Muse headed after Alaska.  She was supposed to head in September back to Asia doing the normal Seward - Tokyo- Hong Kong route, but these have been taken down from the web site.   Obviously the situation in Asia/Australia/NZ is not good from a reopening standpoint.

Hi Paul, looks like everyone who is sailing must be having a good time since they are not posting on here. (I can't blame them🙂). I will try to remember to ask about it for you. I sail on Thursday.😃

• Like 3

Lois- if I don’t talk to you b4 you leave , have a great time on your trip! Looking forward to hearing about your experience and as always thanks in advance for posting while on vacation. 

all the best 

Liz 

Lois, Have a marvelous time!  We did Alaska on Shadow in early September 2010.  Seeing Endicott/Tracey glaciers depends on ice conditions.  We got really close and got some great photos.  Rained in Ketchikan which is normal.  Took the bus out to Mendenhall after our helicopter flight with glacier walk in Juneau.  Rented a car and drove up Yukon highway.  Such a great trip!  Let us know how things are going.

Missy in Maryland, fingers and toes crossed that I'm boarding Shadow in November