Ya'll Are Going to Think I Am a Bit Nuts.......Just booked Muse!

Lois R

2 hours ago, Lois R said:

…tomorrow we are In Wrangell.

Oh how I hope you booked the excursion to the Anan Creek Bear Observatory.  Observing the black and grizzly bears feasting in the wild and teaching their cubs how to fish at one of the largest pink salmon runs in all of the world is a site not to be missed.

1 hour ago, silkismom said:

I'd like to know if anything is said about where the ship will go after AK season. We're hoping for Japan in Mar.

Hi Lois, I'm bumping up this message hoping you can ask the Future Cruise Consultant or anyone else. The Muse has been scheduled to head towards Australia/New Zealand but that almost certainly won't be happening anymore.

Please don't let it interfere with your joyous time onboard. That said, I will be forever grateful if you can find out where she might be sailing next instead 🙂

Happy Saturday😀 I spoke with Emily who is the lovely Future cruise consultant and she has not been told where the Muse is going after the Alaska cruises are done. They are still waiting to find out those answers and what countries are allowing ships to dock is a BIG factor. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

But for the bigger, more long-term view of Silversea and Royal Caribbean and their future/survival, that is less than one-third capacity.  How can the cruise lines surviving financially with that kind of passenger load?

You are thinking of the same questions that I have.  Seabourn Odyssey's cruises out of Barbados are operating with light loads.  

Maybe the corporate thinking:  some revenue is better than no revenue.  Most have sufficient financial resources--for now--to survive for awhile.  

Like you, I hope Lois can obtain some information.  But, it's more important for her to enjoy her cruise and Alaska.  

• Like 1

Good morning from Sitka and it has been sunny out for the past 2 days😀Yesterday we were in Wrangell.

I have played trivia this cruise every day and it has been fun and my team has been a winner😁 too. Last night we had Name That Tune in the Panorama and LOTS of people played and my trivia team played together and we won that too😀we got 38 out of 40 correct!

Food and service wonderful and glad I booked this too😃

• Like 8

I spoke to the Cruise Director on Muse last week. He commented that at 200 passengers they are barely paying for the gas. If cruising continues at these levels the financial health of the company has to be at risk. Hopefully, there will be no outbreaks of the virus on any of the ships sailing and customer confidence will start improving.

Also, there was a strong rumor going around the crew that Muse would be heading for Japan after Alaska as the ship has apparently been chartered for a private cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lois- So glad you you are having a wonderful time and you are enjoying sunny skies ! Wondering if I need to pack a winter jacket ( I have one of those lightweight down jackets that you can roll up, but want to avoid lugging it) . I was going to bring a rain jacket and turtlenecks and a sweatshirt to wear underneath . Will also bring a scarfs, gloves and a hat. Will that be sufficient? 

Also for dinners , is it cool in the restaurants or do I need to bring sweaters. Again I’m trying to limit what I need to bring and if I simply layer my outfits with a knit poncho, if that will be sufficient. Want to avoid bringing heavier sweaters especially if eating inside. Have you been able to even outside during this cruise? 

Thanks again for any advice. Enjoy! 

Liz

Edited by bobolz

Hi again😀 Liz, the closer you get to Sept I think it will continue to get colder but I am not a weather person😉. I would just keep checking the weather for a few days before you leave. As for the ship, I have been wearing long sleeves every day.

Oh I did not bring a hat or gloves  and so far have not needed them😀and am eating outside tonight with 3 other solo pax I have become friendly with-we are going to Hot Rocks. Will wear long sleeves and a pullover sweater.

Liz, I didn't bring "heavy sweaters" and am doing just fine😀 My bottom layer is a soft cotton long sleeved top-various colors. Example right now I am outside of The Panorama on deck 9 in black joggers with a raspberry top a blue medium gage knit pullover that has a 1/2 zip in front and I am very comfortable. We are tendering in Sitka and I wore a jean jacket over on the tender (wearing this same outfit)

We are having mild temps😀

20 hours ago, Lois R said:

Good morning from Sitka and it has been sunny out for the past 2 days😀Yesterday we were in Wrangell.   Food and service wonderful and glad I booked this too😃

YES, Lois, glad to know you are enjoying your Silver Muse cruise in Alaska.  Keep up the great sharing!!

For this summer, is Silversea still offering these Bvlgari products as shown below?  I especially love the green, round soap.  Or, have the corporate "bean-counting, pinch-pennies" cut-out this nice, luxury perk? Had posted this another thread, but wanted to post ere, also.  

When handy, how do you compare the Silver Muse with the Silver Moon you enjoyed for the Greek Islands?  Other insights, tips, background?  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Summer 2019 Calgary, Jasper/Banff National Parks, Western Canada Rocky Mountaineer rail adventure, Vancouver, sailing up to Alaska on Silver Muse, post-cruise excursion to Denali, etc.  Many visuals and details from our first in these scenic areas!  Live/blog: 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2682584-live-terryohio-silver-muse-alaska-canadarockies-pix’s/

IMG_3523.thumb.jpeg.f7eb994e2373d44ee345e677cf96d411.jpeg

Lois thank you for asking the question on Muse. 

We were on Crystal Serenity with 600 passengers from a capacity of 980.  Today she says with barely 300.   Some of the issue is of course these cruises are pop up cruises that do not have 2 years worth of selling.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise.  Great that you are having good weather -- just think of all the steamy Florida weather you are missing.

55 minutes ago, CJANDH said:

BVLGARI is still on Muse.

Appreciate this great news and follow-up.  Good other that Silversea's is not "cutting corners" with the "extras" that make a positive difference. 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Just now, Capri73 said:

Hi Lois. 

Are you able to sightsee on your own?

Hi😆 yes. You may.  I walked around Sitka on my own for about 2.5 hours.

Thanks so much Lois for all of your responses. Sounds like you are having a wonderful time, meeting new people, enjoying the sights. I think you made the right decision to book this cruise great itinerary, great weather , great companions, and great food and accommodations! 

Continue to enjoy ! 

P.s I’m sorry for my late response. I actually responded yesterday , but CC is temperamental and apparently I hit something and it never saved my response. This keeps happening and I’m at home, wondering if this will be worse once we board. I would like to provide feedback/advice to others like you and others are doing for us, but if I continue to to experience this “over sensitive”  technology, may have to wait until I return. 

Sent from my iPad

Hi Liz😀no worries. It is all good. We just arrived in Juneau and Mother Nature has decided we had enough sunshine. It is colder and raining now. Oh well.

Tonight I am dining at La Dame with the lecturer who is on board. Very  nice person named Eric. For anyone interested his talks are very good.

• Like 1

Hi Lois, It sounds like you are having a good cruise.  Hope once you leave Juneau you are able to find some sunshine to enjoy.  It seems every time I have gone to Juneau or Ketchikan it is always raining or misting.  Enjoy the rest of your cruise.  Neil

• Like 1

21 hours ago, bobolz said:

but CC is temperamental and apparently I hit something and it never saved my response. This keeps happening and I’m at home,

CC has been cranky recently.  Supposed improvements in the database and in the site.  And, I do see some changes, but don't understand why they are considered to be improvements.  I assume that there is more important things "going on behind the scene" of which we are not aware.  Praise for CC's response to my concern, however.  When I have e-mailed them about the issues that I have been having, I have received a good response within a reasonable amount of time!  

• Like 1

Hey Lois- are they testing after 3 days? Someone posted on FB that they were on the Muse recently and they were tested 72 hours in. They were probably on b4 they added the mask rules. Just curious if that test happened on yours. 

Thanks

liz

Hi😀no testing at all and we are on here 1 week now.

Chatted with Rico for a while and he is a great guy and does a good job as well😀

We are in Icey Straight tomorrow. We left Juneau at 6 PM but at 7:30 the Capt came on and announced he had to turn around and go back as there was a medical emergency. Hope whoevever it was will be ok.