Transatlantic Cruise--Anything to Do :)?

For folks that get bored on TA crossings and/or do not participate in all of trivial stuff just to stay busy, I would suggest booking on one of the mega ships like Royal Caribbean's Symphony or Allure. I don't think it is possible to get bored on any of these. Although these ships also do cater in some respects to younger people, on a TA there will be very few young people when schools are in session. My wife really does not want to go on any cruise without there being a decent amount of entertainment including shows, nightclub acts, musical groups, etc. That is why we stick to the larger ships where we know there will be entertainment on board and a multitude of eating venues. 

Edited by Floridastorm

Ask yourself: Do I gamble, read books, walk/jog daily, knit/crochet, Movies ?? I love simply being ‘at Sea’ in a sunny Deck lounger with my Kindle and wife really likes her Knitting/gab fests. Times in beautiful Azores/Madeira Ports etc. are usually limited as the Capt. is often barreling to the final destination for Corporate scheduling reasons. I love T/A’s but maybe you wouldn’t. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The one transatlantic cruise I did was on a Holland America ship with a sliding roof over the pool--very nice when the weather at sea was  blustery!  I haven't seen any ship descriptions that include "sliding roof pool cover" or somesuch. Has anyone found an index of ships with sliding pool roofs?  

12 hours ago, denim02 said:

The one transatlantic cruise I did was on a Holland America ship with a sliding roof over the pool--very nice when the weather at sea was  blustery!  I haven't seen any ship descriptions that include "sliding roof pool cover" or somesuch. Has anyone found an index of ships with sliding pool roofs?  

Don't know of any index available, but a number of ships have them.

I believe they were introduced on the original Island & Pacific Princess, of "Love Boat" fame. A number of the current Princess Grand Class ships also have them. Memory is a little hazy, but Island/Coral may also have them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, denim02 said:

The QM2 deck 12 'Pavillon' pool has a sliding roof - the deck 7 thermal suite pool is enclosed.

Back in 2017 some hardy [or foolhardy] folks were using the deck 8 hot tubs, but not the adjacent pool, as the ship sailed through a tropical storm remnant [force 11 winds] The deck 8 'terrace' area was fairly well sheltered.

18 hours ago, denim02 said:

Has anyone found an index of ships with sliding pool roofs? 

Agree with Heidi13.  Checking the deck plans of the ships that might interest you ought to provide you with this information.  Posting a question on the cruise line message board that you are considering will also provide you with answers to your question.

5 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Don't know of any index available, but a number of ships have them

This is another example why having a hard copy brochure would be helpful for many cruisers.  

On 12/14/2021 at 8:40 AM, Heidi13 said:

Don't know of any index available, but a number of ships have them.

I believe they were introduced on the original Island & Pacific Princess, of "Love Boat" fame. A number of the current Princess Grand Class ships also have them. Memory is a little hazy, but Island/Coral may also have them.

Actually, the first one was on the Oceanic.

• 2 weeks later...