Anyone else reevaluating?

MsTabbyKats

2 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Your PCC is wrong. Period. Pick a room number from the list I just provided for you and call him back to book it. 

He will call me back I suspect it was a temporary glitch. Sorry for the alarm. I will update when I can. 

1 minute ago, Gen X Life said:

do you speak Italian??  Please give us a full review of Spendida when you return , I loved Grandiosa

I do speak Italian, and one of the reasons I am looking forward to seeing Italy again is so I can practice it some more. I am glad you loved the Grandiosa, I read SO many good reviews of that online when it began sailing last year. I will post a review of the Splendida upon our return.

• Like 1

Just now, saltsandknit said:

He will call me back I suspect it was a temporary glitch. Sorry for the alarm. I will update when I can. 

No alarm and likely no glitch.  It's hilarious how wrong PCC's get this stuff all the time. There maybe a reason he/she doesn't want to upgrade you or they just don't know how to find inventory in the system. No rush though,  I suspect there will be well over 15 club balcony cabins available on September 18th too lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

One tiny issue is that I got an email earlier today from NCL saying that my Priority Access was cancelled as part of some operational changes NCL is making on cruises up to December 31. It's a small bummer, I guess, but it does mean my recent upgrade just ended up costing me less. 🙂

• Like 1

On 7/28/2021 at 10:17 AM, MsTabbyKats said:

I have an 11/2021 and a 2/2022 booked.

I read feedback from passengers who have sailed...and based on what they've said, I'm not too sure if I want to sail until Covid is a thing of the past.  One thing, masks required in ports....nope, not for me.

Yesterday I had "a scratchy throat" so I immediatly had a (negative) covid test.  As a rule, I am not a germophobe or a hypochondriac.  But, this uncertaintly of what's gonna happen or what the rules will be at the time of the cruise.....is cruising worth the worry?  Truth be told....I don't even look at cruising as the fun it used to be.  Based on the price increase it's not "the almost giveaway" vacation anymore.

Hi Ms TabbyKats,

I agree with you....we were looking at a Jan/2022 cruise, I don't feel comfortable yet getting on a ship with unvaccinated people.  Both NCL & Celebrity said that as of November 2021 they will have both "vaccinated & unvaccinated" people on board.   Will see how that all works out for them.  Now Carnival said that only vaccinated people will be on board their ships till October 31, 2021 after that date, they will do what CDC says.

10 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Where/when did NCL say this?

I called the 1-800 number on the Celebrity's website, because we were looking of a cruse for Jan 2021.  I thought only vaccinated people could board the ship.   Then I call NCL and they said the same thing after November 2021 they will let both vaccinated and unvaccinated people on.   I guess there will be certain restrictions that "unvaccinated" people can do and not do......but I just stopped looking for the time being till I see how it all goes when ships are sailing again.   

22 minutes ago, boatclub1 said:

.  Both NCL & Celebrity said that as of November 2021 they will have both "vaccinated & unvaccinated" people on board.   Will see how that all works out for them.  Now Carnival said that only vaccinated people will be on board their ships till October 31, 2021 after that date, they will do what CDC says.

NCL has only committed to 100% vaccinated until October 31, 2021 and even then they recently added a disclaimer for those with relifious or medical exemptions. If you are cruising after 10/31/21 it is very likely you will not be on a 100% vaccinated ship. I'm not even convinced you'll be on a 100% vaccinated ship prior to October 31, but time will tell.

24 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Where/when did NCL say this?

NCL has stated that they are only committed to 100% vaccinated until Octrober 31. It's all over their website. While they have not come out and stated they will allow 95% vaccinated on the safe sails web page, they did sign an agreement with the CDC (posted by birdtravels) stating they will sail with 95% or more vaccinated. Add this to the recent disclaimer allowing for religious and medical exemptions and I think it's pretty obvious what will happen after October 31st.

As with all our friendly disagreements, I'll buy you a beer if NCL keeps this policy on November 1st. But I'm starting to rack up enough beers from the pack where I may not even buy a package 🙂 (kidding of course)

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 2

As @BermudaBound2014 has also pointed out, there's a big difference between:

What people on Cruise Critic say

What people on Cruise Critic DO

What other cruisers *not* on Cruise Critic do

What the general public does

Thus, posting a poll on this website that concludes "80% of people surveyed will only sail on a 100% vaccinated cruise" is very misleading. Too many times I have seen people infer that support for 100% vaccinated cruises on here = no one will cruise without that requirement. WRONG. The fact that NCL isn't filling its ships even with 100% while competitors sail at less than that, should give everyone pause. I'm guilty of this, too, but sometimes our myopia about cruising keeps us from seeing the big picture.

• Like 1

We are fully vaccinated and looking forward to POA in November, if we have to have any kind of tests, it will be a game changer. The tests are frequently wrong and the last thing i want to worry about is testing. 100% vaccinated cruises there is no need. The selfish people who have no intention of getting the vax is causing the 95% vaccinated to suffer. My doctor says there is less than 2% of the population. Who cannot get the vaccine, the others are lying that they cant take it. They are ignorant about the vaccine. You cant cure stupid.the reason we are back into cruising is because we got the vaccine.

Edited by sugcarol
  • Like 3

We are definitely wary of cruising anytime soon but still looking at cruises!  We did just cancel a December cruise on the Bliss, but it was because it was a cruise with my sisters and the sister who has advances RA was advised by her rheumatologist that it was unwise for her to cruise, given the powerful drugs she is taking for the RA, which lowers her immune system.  So not the common situation.

My husband and I still want to cruise this winter, but will wait and see how things play out.  For us, having to wear a mask much of the time would make us think more than twice about a cruise.

6 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

As @BermudaBound2014 has also pointed out, there's a big difference between:

What people on Cruise Critic say

What people on Cruise Critic DO

What other cruisers *not* on Cruise Critic do

What the general public does

We have already sailed on a partially vaccinated RCCL cruise out of Nassau with no masks. 

We will sail on the fully vaccinated cruise on the Encore with no masks in August.

We will sail on a partially vaccinated cruise on RCCL out of Florida with masks in September. 

Lots of folks talk about how bad things will be. We enjoyed every minute of our last cruise and are looking forward on being on the Encore soon. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sugcarol said:

The tests are frequently wrong and the last thing i want to worry about is testing. 100% vaccinated cruises there is no need. 

You are  Incorrect. I’ll tackle the most obvious…. Being on a 💯 vaccinated cruise does not mean there won’t be a need to test. Ports are requiring testing also.

BTW- are you following Gov IGN and mayor Victorino? They are both tightening down covid precautions. Victorino actually asked airlines to stop flights into Maui to reduce tourists. Locals on island are no where near ready to welcome cruisers. 

On 7/28/2021 at 4:09 PM, wally4ever said:

I'm booked on the Getaway December 22, and short of NCL cancelling, I'll be on that cruise.  COVID will do whatever it's going to do, and I've basically stopped caring.  If I need to wear a mask, I'll wear a mask.  If they want me to get a booster shot, I'll get a booster shot.  Whatever.  Don't care.  I want to get back to real life already.

Yep I am here too. I'll do whatever, need to get back to real life in some semblance. Everyone is entitled to their own thoughts/opinions and can do what is best for them, but life is short, I'll take whatever sort of living I can get right now. I'll wear a full hazmat suit, bring it on. 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, boatclub1 said: Both NCL & Celebrity said that as of November 2021 they will have both "vaccinated & unvaccinated" people on board.   Will see how that all works out for them.  Now Carnival said that only vaccinated people will be on board their ships till October 31, 2021 after that date, they will do what CDC says.

So it would be good if you properly quoted the cruise line. NCL says that they will be 100% vaxxed until Oct 31 and “follow the science to make a determination on requirements for all other future sailings”. 

If they made a decision today, I could speculate what they would do. 

And if they watched was happening on other ships, I could speculate what they would do. (Royal has 6 COVID positive passengers today on the Adventure of the Seas - 4 fully vaxxed and 2 unvaxxed kids,,, the 6 are not traveling together.). 

42 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

And if they watched was happening on other ships, I could speculate what they would do. (Royal has 6 COVID positive passengers today on the Adventure of the Seas - 4 fully vaxxed and 2 unvaxxed kids,,, the 6 are not traveling together.). 

In the grand scheme of things, this is probably a good thing.  A handful of cases that can demonstrate that it's not the end of the world, or even the end of the fun for the other cruisers, may be just what this game needs at this point.

• Like 1

Sadly we are rebooking everything again for next year.  Coming up to final payment for a Dec cruise and we are going to punt.  We dont want to pay thousands of dollars and not have the cruise experience we expect.  I applaud everyone going - your efforts will definately help pave the way for normal cruising hopefully in the near future.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Stealthdog said:

Sadly we are rebooking everything again for next year.  Coming up to final payment for a Dec cruise and we are going to punt.  We dont want to pay thousands of dollars and not have the cruise experience we expect.  I applaud everyone going - your efforts will definately help pave the way for normal cruising hopefully in the near future.

I'm 100% with you.

In addition to "unknown masking" requirements, I just read the Carnival is now requiring negative PCR testing within 72 hours of departure for a lot of cruises.

50 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

In addition to "unknown masking" requirements, I just read the Carnival is now requiring negative PCR testing within 72 hours of departure for a lot of cruises.

I just googled and it says that it takes from 24 hours to several days to receive PCR test results.  How the heck does this work when the test has to be performed within 72 hours of departure?

Let's say my cruise departs at 5:00 PM on Saturday.  That means I can try to find someplace to administer the test at 5:00 PM on Wednesday.  I need to leave for the airport around 5:00 AM on Friday.   That means that the lab has to provide the results to me within 24 hours (i.e. 5:00 PM Thursday) if I want my trip to be a go.  Am I missing something?  Just asking the general audience, not @MsTabbyKats.

2 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I just googled and it says that it takes from 24 hours to several days to receive PCR test results.  How the heck does this work when the test has to be performed within 72 hours of departure?

Let's say my cruise departs at 5:00 PM on Saturday.  That means I can try to find someplace to administer the test at 5:00 PM on Wednesday.  I need to leave for the airport around 5:00 AM on Friday.   That means that the lab has to provide the results to me within 24 hours (i.e. 5:00 PM Thursday) if I want my trip to be a go.  Am I missing something?  Just asking the general audience, not @MsTabbyKats.

Yes, you're correct. 

I just went thru this with my nephew (non American) who had to get this done before he could fly home.  It also cost him $250....so he could get it "expidited".  Although "expidited" says "within 24 hours"....it really meant within 24 hours of when they send it to the lab.  So if they just sent out a batch...you'd be in the next group...which really meant 48 hours.

More info on the RCI forum...they're requiring it too.

2 hours ago, Stealthdog said:

This is where my thinking is right now also. We have 1 month from today to make a decision. Waiting til the last minute though.

22 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Yes, you're correct. 

I just went thru this with my nephew (non American) who had to get this done before he could fly home.  It also cost him $250....so he could get it "expidited".  Although "expidited" says "within 24 hours"....it really meant within 24 hours of when they send it to the lab.  So if they just sent out a batch...you'd be in the next group...which really meant 48 hours.

More info on the RCI forum...they're requiring it too.

Thanks.  This looks like a game changer for NCL, since they only require consent to a rapid test at the dock before boarding, thanks (we assume) to their 100% vax requirement.

I just read the thread over on the Celebrity sub-forum.  What a mess.

1 hour ago, MsTabbyKats said:

As a point of clarification, fortunately they're also accepting the Antigen test, which shouldn't present the same logistical problems.  Double fortunately, NCL has already told us that they'll perform this test at the pier, so nothing for us NCL cruisers to be concerned with other than a positive test result.

"All guests over the age two, regardless of vaccination status, will now be required to present a negative COVID-19 test result at the time of embarkation. This test may be taken as either a PCR test or an Antigen test, conducted within 72 hours of embarkation. Each guest is responsible for making their own arrangements with an accredited testing provider as well as all associated costs.

Unvaccinated guests and children, under 12 years of age, will be required to take an additional antigen test at the terminal prior to embarkation, mid-cruise and on the day before disembarkation. A registration link for required testing will be sent separately."

At the end of the day, I still believe that NCL is going to emerge as the company with the safest/smartest/most logistically viable approach.

Edited by ChiefMateJRK

FYI - "Clear-19" Rapid Testing services for NY area ... 24 Hours next day PCR results for $175 p/p per test or Rush 2 Hours PCR results, emailed from point-of-swap for $389 p/p per test ($50 off using the code "Rush50" as shown on the online portal).  CPT code, results & info provided to submit to one's own insurance plan for coverage and reimbursement, as appropriate.

https://www.clear19rapidtesting.com/travel

I knew as others in our extended family circles connected to the global airline sector have mentioned this as a service to those that must travel for urgent & emergency reasons on ultra short notice to go abroad.  This is NOT an endorsement of the above and not affiliated or connected with them whatsoever.  There are other established labs that claimed & offer 24, 48 and results that meet the 72 hours protocol needed for int'l air travel, etc. - with the ever changing & evolving guidelines and restrictions.  

But ... ouch, these services are pricey but to each his/her own ... enough to cover a night's lodging (or more) for our land-based travel at the junior suite level or higher with the extra club amenities.  There are options and alternatives ... no need to reevaluate again on risk mitigations, upcoming changes are not - IMHO - going to ease up anytime soon.  

Edited by mking8288