Anyone else reevaluating?

MsTabbyKats

51 minutes ago, AwesomO said:

Earlier this year I thought I was booked far enough in advanced to have confidence that they would have it all figured out but I haven't been reassured by NCL or the current state of affairs.

Remember the movie Groundhog Day:

This is the time of the year, based on last year, we start cancelling trips. Or have trips cancelled on us.

I have booked flights for next May and when I checked  them the other night, on a 787, there are 5 seats sold. Gone are the days where we were in a hurry to book flights 11 months out to snare the mileage seats. Now just want a non stop back from Europe or Asia.

• Like 3

On 8/4/2021 at 8:44 AM, JamieLogical said:

I just came back from the Celebrity Equinox on Sunday. It was a FANTASTIC cruise and the fact that 95%+ were fully vaccinated made it feel pretty much completely normal onboard. We had no masks and no social distancing for passengers. Crew did still wear masks. In ports, St. Thomas had the strictest masking requirements, but it was honestly no big deal. Honestly, the worst part of the trip for me was getting stuck in Ft. Lauderdale airport for 10 hours due to a mechanical issue with our plane, but that could happen any time and had nothing to do with COVID.

My husband and I are booked on the September 26 sailing on the Breakaway, along with my parents. I definitely won't hesitate to sail on that cruise unless masking is required on board. I wouldn't mind the masking, but my Dad seems to think it is akin to having bamboo shoots shoved under his fingernails, so he would be miserable to travel with if he still decided to come. My husband and I did an all inclusive in Cancun in April (after we were both fully vaccinated) and had to wear masks indoors and it was fine for us.

Jamie-  What are "the current" protocols for Bermuda, such as testing?  Masks on shore?

21 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Jamie-  What are "the current" protocols for Bermuda, such as testing?  Masks on shore?

As of right now, Bermuda is requiring travelers to test prior to and upon entry, iirc. That is all travelers coming in by air though. It is unclear how they will handle travelers coming in by ship. Right now, the only cruises around Bermuda are home ported there, so passengers are coming to the island via air first and being tested at the airport.

4 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

As of right now, Bermuda is requiring travelers to test prior to and upon entry, iirc. That is all travelers coming in by air though. It is unclear how they will handle travelers coming in by ship. Right now, the only cruises around Bermuda are home ported there, so passengers are coming to the island via air first and being tested at the airport.

Did they allow you to leave the ship alone, or was it only with a sponsored excursion? I was looking at a Viking cruise, but it appears they won't let you off on your own. I love wandering around the dockyard, and not being allowed to do that would be a deal breaker for me.

11 minutes ago, KateQ22003 said:

Did they allow you to leave the ship alone, or was it only with a sponsored excursion? I was looking at a Viking cruise, but it appears they won't let you off on your own. I love wandering around the dockyard, and not being allowed to do that would be a deal breaker for me.

Oh, I am sorry for any confusion. I was on the Equinox out of Ft. Lauderdale this past week. We went to St. Maarten, St. Thomas, and Nassau. I am not going to Bermuda until 9/26.

22 hours ago, HMR74 said:

So, all the false positive were for???

From what I understand everybody has a little of hte viruse.

The US set the testiing bar at 42 and only recently reduced it to 28 (the higher the number the better off you are).

So there is a whole lot of multidimensional "Fudge Factor" involved with this.

As to the "fact checkers" if you have  ever been in a decent sized court case the plaintiff and defendant each bring in credible expert witnesses. Who proceed to support totally different views. Money talks.

So I have been jaded by years of watching various biases and stubbornesses. Boils down to instinct and just whom do you trust. Not all the time. But a lot.

So I think you are thinking of the Antigen tests, which have been known to give false positives but also take much less time to process. The PCR test take anywhere from 12-72 hrs to process, and are almost 100% accurate (almost). Most cruise lines have been giving a Antigen test at the terminal, but perhaps aren’t giving enough of an accurate result. That’s why they are now requiring the PCR tests. They do not run thousands of dollars like someone mentioned above. In the Philly area it’s 75$ per person. If anything, if you do get positive results, you can at least save yourself a trip to the cruise terminal before the cruise. Trying to think positive… though, it’s not easy at the crazy time. 

um yes I am because now after being vaccinated since May and was excited, now with the variant and talk of all the different testing and rules - well now not sure.

I am thinking about long flight to Seattle wearing mask since I live alone and rarely go out.  will the mask make me lose my minds.  Then the ship environment too.

So my thoughts are at what point do I just say give up and try later.  I am getting very close to that point given all the confusion on test names and acceptable as well as hearing about folks acting bad on planes.  I am travelling in Sept and perhaps things might be a bit calmer.    so I continue to keep thinking and tossing and turning at night.    sigh

7 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

um yes I am because now after being vaccinated since May and was excited, now with the variant and talk of all the different testing and rules - well now not sure.

I am thinking about long flight to Seattle wearing mask since I live alone and rarely go out.  will the mask make me lose my minds.  Then the ship environment too.

So my thoughts are at what point do I just say give up and try later.  I am getting very close to that point given all the confusion on test names and acceptable as well as hearing about folks acting bad on planes.  I am travelling in Sept and perhaps things might be a bit calmer.    so I continue to keep thinking and tossing and turning at night.    sigh

I was going back and forth on deciding. Got tired of thinking of the what ifs if we tested positive at the cruise terminal so I canceled today our two Alaskan cruises in October on the Encore. We do still have two 21 night cruises booked on the Encore in 2022 so that helped in the decision making.

1 minute ago, swmichigan cruiser said:

I was going back and forth on deciding. Got tired of thinking of the what ifs if we tested positive at the cruise terminal so I canceled today our two Alaskan cruises in October on the Encore. We do still have two 21 night cruises booked on the Encore in 2022 so that helped in the decision making.

I hear ya as I had the same situation so I cancelled Encore 6 weeks ago because of tests at the port.

They are the only ones doing it that way and I did not want accidental exposure to be my bad luck.

A week later I booked RCI Ovation and was happy to not have to take a test.  

Then they changed their rules but at least they accept a quick test 3 days before.  Still all the confusion and drama with airlines etc etc I am on the fence.

But then again cruises that I have cancelled in the past before covid for various reasons, I then regretted.  the old regret creep...

To BE or not to BE... Or to SAIL or NOT to SAIL is the question.

We have to find our own answers within ourselves I guess.

But I do have the Encore for a Panama Canal 14 day in 2023.     And looking forward to the new Prima from Iceland later in 2023 as well.  So perhaps good times are a coming.  Unless we have more virus.  Shhhh  I did not say that  

50 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

I am travelling in Sept and perhaps things might be a bit calmer.    so I continue to keep thinking and tossing and turning at night.    sigh

When I spoke to an RCL person last week who has been there a while, basically she said there are so many uncertainties viz a viz things changing on protocoals reacting to everything else that they are planning protocols one month at a time and last week they were working on August, while noting the  virus issue seemed to be worsening,  meaning the protocols would be tighter for September. Thus to think about the Oct and Nov and Dec cruises was not on their radar now for specifics. 

SO I canceled my Nov cruise and the  next two are in the spring, plenty of time, I once thought, for things to normalize. I thought that because  I used FCC when the last time to use them was for April and May 2022 cruises.

Plenty of time, Yeah, right.

Edited by HMR74

28 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

I hear ya as I had the same situation so I cancelled Encore 6 weeks ago because of tests at the port.

They are the only ones doing it that way and I did not want accidental exposure to be my bad luck.

A week later I booked RCI Ovation and was happy to not have to take a test.  

Then they changed their rules but at least they accept a quick test 3 days before.  Still all the confusion and drama with airlines etc etc I am on the fence.

But then again cruises that I have cancelled in the past before covid for various reasons, I then regretted.  the old regret creep...

To BE or not to BE... Or to SAIL or NOT to SAIL is the question.

We have to find our own answers within ourselves I guess.

But I do have the Encore for a Panama Canal 14 day in 2023.     And looking forward to the new Prima from Iceland later in 2023 as well.  So perhaps good times are a coming.  Unless we have more virus.  Shhhh  I did not say that  

Both of our cruises 2022 on the Encore are through the Panama Canal. But we do also have the Prima booked for 14 nights round trip out of England fall of 2023 to Iceland and Norway.

I hear MsTabbyKats, I had booked a cruise 2019 for March 2020 then this all happened, so I canceled under the peace of mind Clause.

so now it’s Scheduled for November of this year and now with the delta Variant 

I’m going to cancel I don’t won’t to be trapped on a ship is something goes wrong...

Probably been covered but I don’t know how to search anymore on CC. 

If we are after final payment and the cruise is canceled by NCL before sailing, does NCL just give 100% back in a FCC or some small addition added because of the inconvenience?  We sail Sept 26 - I hope

thanks 

4 hours ago, SwimmingDragon said:

In the Philly area it’s 75$ per person.

Sorry to tell you that even $75 is overpaying.  Literally free from CVS, Walgreens, and Rite Aid.  The websites will ask for health insurance info, but it's free even if not insured.

CVS and Walgreens websites are particularly good about denoting whether the testing location is doing antigen or PCR testing.  I haven't used Rite Aid so I can't comment on that.

I'm surprised Philadelphia doesn't have a free testing system. Well, maybe they do just without a quick enough turn around. We got PCR tested from one of NYC's locations for free on Saturday morning and had results for 3/4 people in the family less than 24 hours later. The 4th came through layer in the afternoon, so maybe 36 hours later. There are free rapid testing sites as well that use PCR and can get your results back in a few hours if the lab isn't crazy, otherwise up to 24 hours. That one tests for flu and RSV too

• Like 2

3 hours ago, kevintheoman said:

Sorry to tell you that even $75 is overpaying.  Literally free from CVS, Walgreens, and Rite Aid.  The websites will ask for health insurance info, but it's free even if not insured.

CVS and Walgreens websites are particularly good about denoting whether the testing location is doing antigen or PCR testing.  I haven't used Rite Aid so I can't comment on that.

Oh I can get a antigen test for free easily. I'm talking about the PCR test. They (PCR) are the ones you may need to start getting within 72 hours of the cruises. 

Final payment due on 9-7 for 1-5-22 cruise I really have been wanting to go on for a long time, ABC islands. Right now I am 50/50 about cancelling. Since I won't know if NCL is going to require people to be vaccinated I may just cancel and rebook after 11-1.

6 minutes ago, montecarloss said:

Final payment due on 9-7 for 1-5-22 cruise I really have been wanting to go on for a long time, ABC islands. Right now I am 50/50 about cancelling. Since I won't know if NCL is going to require people to be vaccinated I may just cancel and rebook after 11-1.

Actually, your final payment is probably due around 11/5. Sailings through March 2022 now have until 60 days prior to pay in full. It's on the website and will be reflected on your reservation around August 10th. 

26 minutes ago, bkrickles1 said:

Actually, your final payment is probably due around 11/5. Sailings through March 2022 now have until 60 days prior to pay in full. It's on the website and will be reflected on your reservation around August 10th. 

Hey there Bkrickles1....I have been looking for this information on the website and can't seem to find it.  I also have a cruise in January 2022 and have been gearing up to make a decision.  Can you point me to the location on the website?  I'll check again on 10 Aug 2021 as well.  Thanks!

1 minute ago, WarfRatWA said:

Hey there Bkrickles1....I have been looking for this information on the website and can't seem to find it.  I also have a cruise in January 2022 and have been gearing up to make a decision.  Can you point me to the location on the website?  I'll check again on 10 Aug 2021 as well.  Thanks!

I'm sailing 1/15/22 on the Joy and I'm pretty excited.

Here's a link to page on NCL website.

https://www.ncl.com/about/payment-schedule

and here's the pertinent sentence on this page.

All Sailings Departing on or before March 31, 2022: Final Payment is Due 60 Days Prior to Sailing.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bkrickles1 said:

All Sailings Departing on or before March 31, 2022: Final Payment is Due 60 Days Prior to Sailing.

LOL, just thinking about the sailngs on ~April 1who have to make final payment 29 days before those sailing March 31.

6 minutes ago, bkrickles1 said:

Thank you...that buys me some time.  We are on the Joy on 22 January 22.  Flying in from Germany with teenagers.  We are all vaccinated, but if one of us comes up hot, it will cause problems getting back to Germany.  So a bit of a tough decision for us.  Appreciate the assist.

It's just a tough time for decisions.  Things are getting ugly again so fast.  Today's news give the bad news report on the rapid increase of cases, and Moderno said that after 4 to 6 months it appears that their vaccine loses quite a bit of effectiveness in preventing infection, although it did say it still keeps you out of the hospital probably.  A booster will be recommended in a few moths they think.  There's just no way the cruise lines can offer anything with any assurances and no way to long term plan.  I guess I'm going to just quit anticipating and looking and wait until down the road when some successful cruises operate much like they used too.  It might be a long wait.  Darn!