Anyone else reevaluating?

MsTabbyKats

38 minutes ago, roger001 said:

It's just a tough time for decisions.  Things are getting ugly again so fast.  Today's news give the bad news report on the rapid increase of cases, and Moderno said that after 4 to 6 months it appears that their vaccine loses quite a bit of effectiveness in preventing infection, although it did say it still keeps you out of the hospital probably.  A booster will be recommended in a few moths they think.  There's just no way the cruise lines can offer anything with any assurances and no way to long term plan.  I guess I'm going to just quit anticipating and looking and wait until down the road when some successful cruises operate much like they used too.  It might be a long wait.  Darn!  

This is the problem with EAU fixes. They were never meant for large portions of the population. They were meant for people with diseases or problems where new ideas,  untested, were available and it was almost a

"What do I have to lose" proposition.

Well, we still do not know the downside medium and long term risks  of the vaccines (whats the long term for many seniors anyway-I'd be more concerned as a 20 something  now about what develops 30 years from now,   but now we know from what was mentioned in the above quote)  that the efficacy "probably" is not lasting more than a few months.

What else do we not know.

• Like 1

A neighbor just returned from the first sailing on an upscale cruise in the Eastern Med. (sorry, don't know the cruiseline.)  While they were very positive about the high staff to passenger ratio and the great service onboard, the details sounded like a nightmare for some. One thing he said made no sense, but there are several states whose residents were denied their international flights. Indiana was one of them. Even if you just went through their airport on a connecting flight was reason to deny boarding. Those folks couldn't take the cruise. Then, there was the PCR testing beforehand, the daily swab COVID testing onboard, and it sounds like all tours were ship only. They weren't allowed to go into any stores at port.  Since his return, some Med. countries have imposed new rules and COVID is spiking along with the heat and wildfires. What a mess!

Things are changing at such a rapid pace. As a retired person, I can handle a flight delay and things like that because I have more flexibility, but to have your trip so turned upside down makes me wonder if I will cruise again. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Markanddonna said:

A neighbor just returned from the first sailing on an upscale cruise in the Eastern Med. (sorry, don't know the cruiseline.)  While they were very positive about the high staff to passenger ratio and the great service onboard, the details sounded like a nightmare for some. One thing he said made no sense, but there are several states whose residents were denied their international flights. Indiana was one of them. Even if you just went through their airport on a connecting flight was reason to deny boarding. Those folks couldn't take the cruise. Then, there was the PCR testing beforehand, the daily swab COVID testing onboard, and it sounds like all tours were ship only. They weren't allowed to go into any stores at port.  Since his return, some Med. countries have imposed new rules and COVID is spiking along with the heat and wildfires. What a mess!

Things are changing at such a rapid pace. As a retired person, I can handle a flight delay and things like that because I have more flexibility, but to have your trip so turned upside down makes me wonder if I will cruise again. 

When things are moving fast I will watch a  you tuber Don's Family Vacations. Or listen to others take on whats happening.

He was on the Edge 10 days ago and it took him 5 days to get home to Canada because of snafu's on testing and flights cancelled. He stated last night that he thinks he s going to "can" his late august cruise  as basically, who needs this potential aggrevation?

We knew the retart was not going to be very smooth, however, its being complicated. If the CDC has the power to call for a moritorium on evictions, aganst a Supreme Court Ruling, and it stands, then will the CDC reach back into cruises?

With Italy and Greece on the CDC do not go there list and now the wildfires in Greece, Italy and Turkey, I am keepng my expectations low, so I will not be disappointed. Just canceled a family Thanksgivng 2021 cruise. Following a rule, if you are going to panic, panic early.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Barb Nahoumi said:

We are booked for next May, Boston to Bermuda, on the Pearl.  Hopefully, this cruise will not be canceled.  If we must wear masks, so be it.

If NCL will require that the passengers, staff, and crew be fully vaccinated, we are ok with that.  

Agree. We will only go if all are vaccinated  otherwise there are plenty of other places to go 

• Like 3

On 7/28/2021 at 9:17 AM, MsTabbyKats said:

I have an 11/2021 and a 2/2022 booked.

I read feedback from passengers who have sailed...and based on what they've said, I'm not too sure if I want to sail until Covid is a thing of the past.  One thing, masks required in ports....nope, not for me.

Yesterday I had "a scratchy throat" so I immediatly had a (negative) covid test.  As a rule, I am not a germophobe or a hypochondriac.  But, this uncertaintly of what's gonna happen or what the rules will be at the time of the cruise.....is cruising worth the worry?  Truth be told....I don't even look at cruising as the fun it used to be.  Based on the price increase it's not "the almost giveaway" vacation anymore.

Meh.  My mom and I both got sick the day after our flight back from an Alaskan cruise in 2019.  We would still do it all over again. It happens. 

6 hours ago, HMR74 said:

When things are moving fast I will watch a  you tuber Don's Family Vacations. Or listen to others take on whats happening.

He was on the Edge 10 days ago and it took him 5 days to get home to Canada because of snafu's on testing and flights cancelled. He stated last night that he thinks he s going to "can" his late august cruise  as basically, who needs this potential aggrevation?

OMG his story is like a movie.  I can not believe Celebrity lost his test.  And then issues with flights, and then more issues in Canada for his last leg home.  And to think he is booked for another cruise in the next 14 days.  And then he needs the longer test since he is Canadian.  

Just goes to show that coming and going into USA from the outside adds a whole lot more drama.  He had a the patience of a saint these last 6 days.  He will let us know if he goes again soon to FLA.

BTW I am a bit hooked on his Youtube as he provides good information and with a good attitude.  Just have to overlook some of his strange and funny facial expressions.

• Like 1

I went from planning Alaska May 2023 to Bermuda 2023 as to not fly- now I am hoping for March Getaway 2023 that is a 8 night from NYC.  I need something simple to get my feet wet again.

As opposed to the bus and staying overnight in NYC- I will just get a Uber (pretty far) to the pier to avoid contact from bus/train/hotel etc.. Plus our bus station closed and now its more or less just a stop.

The delta has me rethinking everything- average daily cases are up at least 9x- and likely more as tests seem to be down 50% from peak levels. 

I hate to say it but don't see 2022 being much different due to mutations and evolutions. 

On 7/28/2021 at 2:41 PM, warburg said:

Greetings from South Beach. This is a resort but I still want to cruise. A victim of multiple cancellations and a recent widow, I booked a Studio on the Encore because I want to meet other solos in the designated lounge. My husband and I sailed PH's on Oceania, and Haven on NCL. I never met a solo in either of those categories. Everyone on  American Dream in  Singapore was confined to quarters when covid was discovered. The incident when the woman was Medevaced back to the Bronx although first testing negative twice including at boarding also has me worried. The idea of being confined in a Studio is unacceptable. I have claustrophobia that is manageable only if leaving is unrestricted. Final payment is due in November. There is time to see how things play out. It is reasonable to confine people who on board who test positive, and a retest is also reasonable. It is unreasonable to confine everyone else. If that is the new norm, the cruise industry will have trouble surviving. Destroying life as we know it because of a disease defies logic.

(I am writing this without catching up with the entire thread; forgive me if this is covered).

I am cruising in a Studio, too, mainly for the price.  I have read that they have gatherings for solo travelers, no matter which cabin category they are in.  If I had the money, I would select a balcony cabin.  No need to give up your space and fresh air for a common lounge area.?

I haven’t figured out how to use Cruise Critic to make the pre-Cruise connections that I did on Disney.  For a Panama Canal cruise, we had a group of 12 that shared a dining table (fixed time seating; NCL cruising does not seem to work so well with this scenario).

On 8/6/2021 at 12:36 PM, CptBoatface said:

We are still on for 9/23 getaway. Damn the spike proteins, full speed ahead!

So are we...this is not what I signed up for. (Freestyle Cruising..no masks on board..no social distancing). Current situation not NCL's fault, but that doesn't make it any stressful or frustrating.

• Like 1

I sadly cancelled my cruise yesterday. Canadian government is still advising to avoid all cruise travel and it's impossible to get medical insurance. Had an accessable balcony on the breakaway to Bermuda October 17 if anyone was looking for one. 

• Like 1

If my July 2022 cruise gets cancelled that will likely be it for a long time with cruising and I will definitely chase for a refund. What a rollercoaster this wait has been. One minute it looks like the cruiselines are finally finding a way through the mess and then the Covid rates jump up and everything is back in turmoil again. The ever changing situation is making it really hard to plan. 

Then again what do I know? So tired of being locked down for 2 years we are off for a week land trip to France from Canada. Keeping my fingers crossed the green zone status stays the same for at least another two weeks. 

We're fully vaccinated and I can put up with the mask and social distancing. What I dislike is being stuck at home doing nothing. Might as commit a crime and go to prison. 🙂

Edited by Bramcruiser
  • Like 1

On 7/28/2021 at 10:17 AM, MsTabbyKats said:

I have an 11/2021 and a 2/2022 booked.

I read feedback from passengers who have sailed...and based on what they've said, I'm not too sure if I want to sail until Covid is a thing of the past.  One thing, masks required in ports....nope, not for me.

Yesterday I had "a scratchy throat" so I immediatly had a (negative) covid test.  As a rule, I am not a germophobe or a hypochondriac.  But, this uncertaintly of what's gonna happen or what the rules will be at the time of the cruise.....is cruising worth the worry?  Truth be told....I don't even look at cruising as the fun it used to be.  Based on the price increase it's not "the almost giveaway" vacation anymore.

We have not booked anything and won't for a while. We are looking at a November 2022 cruise but not booking yet. We currently have an FCC most likely we will ask for a refund.

Bermuda published their requirements for cruise passengers yesterday and I am still not reconsidering my September 26 sailing. I am a little worried about the logistics for a B2B, but I will jump through whatever hoops are required for that, once they are clarified.

I have also now booked a sailing on the Celebrity Summit to the Dominican Republic for November 13.

Edited by JamieLogical
  • Like 2

On 8/7/2021 at 12:22 PM, alohayall said:

(I am writing this without catching up with the entire thread; forgive me if this is covered).

I am cruising in a Studio, too, mainly for the price.  I have read that they have gatherings for solo travelers, no matter which cabin category they are in.  If I had the money, I would select a balcony cabin.  No need to give up your space and fresh air for a common lounge area.?

I haven’t figured out how to use Cruise Critic to make the pre-Cruise connections that I did on Disney.  For a Panama Canal cruise, we had a group of 12 that shared a dining table (fixed time seating; NCL cruising does not seem to work so well with this scenario).

Norwegian Cruise Line Cruise Roll Calls - Cruise Critic Message Board Forums

Find your ship at the link above and put in the month.  Then you can find the roll call for your sailing.

Today I cancelled my October 17 Breakaway to Bermuda. Timing of the Bermuda requirements too tight for me. I can't find a place in Manhattan that promised better than a 3 to 5 day test result. Hope springs eternal for my future bookings.

26 minutes ago, The P said:

Today I cancelled my October 17 Breakaway to Bermuda. Timing of the Bermuda requirements too tight for me. I can't find a place in Manhattan that promised better than a 3 to 5 day test result. Hope springs eternal for my future bookings.

Just FYI for future reference & others considering ... personally, I would not consider plans to cruise to Bermuda at this point as the timing and timeline is just awful.  

Urgent Care centers in NYC's outer boroughs can do PCR testings within 1 to 4 days, like this one

https://www.healthneeduc.com/service/covid

in downtown Flushing, NY (close enough to both LGA and JFK airports, used for outbound int'l travelers from what I know ... not an endorsement or approval on our part, just that extended families work for global airlines and ...)  PCR anigen testing fee is $100 per test, and testing is free with most insurance - subject to coverage, co-pay & deductibles, etc. (check with your plan for details) and there is a direct link to what plans are accepted/eligible.  

From midtown Manhattan, it is a quick 45 minutes ride via the #7 subway line out to the last stop in downtown Flushing (Queens) and a short 1 block walk to Queens Crossing, a modern & new multi-use mall, shopping & food court and medical offices & labs, etc. to get the tests done - open 7 days a week, 9 am to 6 pm daily and no appointments needed.   

1 hour ago, JamieLogical said:

Bermuda published their requirements for cruise passengers yesterday and I am still not reconsidering my September 26 sailing. I am a little worried about the logistics for a B2B, but I will jump through whatever hoops are required for that, once they are clarified.

I agree. I am willing to jump through whatever hoops necessary to have a vacation at this point. In many ways, the extra requirements make me feel a bit more comfortable. I will be surrounded by the essentially the safest population possible right now. I'm just going to isolate even more in the weeks leading up to my travel to ensure I get a negative result. The most exposure I'll have is the hotel the night before my cruise (very excited to stay at the TWA Hotel) and whatever transport I get from JFK to the cruise terminal. 

1 hour ago, The P said:

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/doh/covid/covid-19-rapid-testing.page You already canceled so too late now, but for future reference. Free, and results can be back faster than 24 hours depending on how busy they are that day.

I also had testing done at a NY Health+ Hospitals location in the Bronx and it's not a rapid testing location, but my family had their results back in ~24 hours. My son's took more like 36 hours. They also ask you if you're traveling so maybe they expedite it if you are. I wasn't so I'm not sure.

Edited by AwesomO

2 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Just FYI for future reference & others considering ... personally, I would not consider plans to cruise to Bermuda at this point as the timing and timeline is just awful.  

Urgent Care centers in NYC's outer boroughs can do PCR testings within 1 to 4 days, like this one

https://www.healthneeduc.com/service/covid

in downtown Flushing, NY (close enough to both LGA and JFK airports, used for outbound int'l travelers from what I know ... not an endorsement or approval on our part, just that extended families work for global airlines and ...)  PCR anigen testing fee is $100 per test, and testing is free with most insurance - subject to coverage, co-pay & deductibles, etc. (check with your plan for details) and there is a direct link to what plans are accepted/eligible.  

From midtown Manhattan, it is a quick 45 minutes ride via the #7 subway line out to the last stop in downtown Flushing (Queens) and a short 1 block walk to Queens Crossing, a modern & new multi-use mall, shopping & food court and medical offices & labs, etc. to get the tests done - open 7 days a week, 9 am to 6 pm daily and no appointments needed.   

There's a place on Madison & 90th....friend got the PCR there and results really fast (in a couple of hours). (madisonrapid.com).  But the website says "allow 3 days".

Anyway....I think "going to Bermuda" depends on how important cruising is to you.  For me, it's not worth "the stress" of jumping thru hoops.  Bermuda during hurricane season, by boat....just in itself is a turnoff.  I can take "that money not spent" and have a "staycation" every day for a week.

Not to get into "the whys"...but I'd be surprised if these Bermuda sailings actually happen. 

• Like 1

On 8/6/2021 at 11:11 AM, Markanddonna said:

That's Viking Cruise Line.

We just went on the Viking Orion Bermuda Escape and it was excellent. We felt safe throughout the cruise. Yes, mask wearing was enforced when walking in public areas but not when sitting down. Both embarkation and disembarkation were in Hamilton Bermuda. 50% capacity. 

I think those flexible enough to sail now are going to be treated to some of the best cruising experiences. While I love cruising, I love other forms of travel equally and there are lots of options that are much less fluid.  We are headed to Yellowstone and Grand Tetons next month for some hiking. I'll keep my eye on a last minute late fall cruise and if it happens, great. If not, no big deal. Thankfully we are very diverse in the type of vacations we enjoy.

• Like 2