Anyone thinking of cancelling their Aug. or Sept. cruise?

mlbcruiser

Just wondering if there are a fair number of people considering canceling close to their cruise departure date due to so many things pertaining to the issues relating in all ways to covid? (From spread of the latest variant to testing and documentation issues, changes in requirements and so on.)  

Additionally, how many would but are not because of money they have spent on airfare or other travel that they will lose if they cancel?

Just curious.

Edited by mlbcruiser

i am...my issues are 1) w daily covid tests , and asymptomatic transmission....whats the plan if someone tests positive? do we get tossed off the boat in Heidelberg and eat tens of thousands of dollars in flights and viking charges? 2) Will we be prohibited from anything but the "field trip" group walks? No exploring on our own? no hiring a private guide? 3) (this may seem dumb, but it's a big deal to me) . I have a serious sleeping issues, obviously can be exacerbated by international travel...and i understand the daily tests have to be turned in by 7 am every day...on a vacation...And when you finally fall asleep at 3am, getting up a few hours later would be hard.  Like a lot of folks, I'm waiting for more "reports back" from others on the trips in real time. BUT i think if folks do cancel their reservations there will be more of these "consolidation of trips" with changes in departures and returns and room choice (which would lead to MORE folks canceling). SO FOLKS ON trips in next few weeks will be pivotal for us!

• Like 3

I’m excited to start my journey to Budapest, flight departs on Monday 9 August and cruise departs (fingers crossed!) the next day.

Plan to get tested on 3 separate days, just trying to make sure I have the 72-hour window limit covered while assuming the Sunday before my departure can slow down processing.

Just this second got notification from higher up in my TA’s hierarchy that my Uniworld Highlights of Eastern Europe cruise is a GO! They are currently physically at the Uniworld booth at a trade show…..

Wish you all the best @PhD-iva, hope you will be able to report back (or during) as to how the cruise went.  We are supposed to be on Avalon Bud-Prague next May, but looking for the 2023 cruises to come out as we would like to change.

Safe cruising, and hope you have a great time...please let us know how it went.

6 hours ago, mlbcruiser said:

Just wondering if there are a fair number of people considering canceling close to their cruise departure date due to so many things pertaining to the issues relating in all ways to covid? (From spread of the latest variant to testing and documentation issues, changes in requirements and so on.)  

Additionally, how many would but are not because of money they have spent on airfare or other travel that they will lose if they cancel?

Just curious.

We are pretty committed to our 8/19 sailing with Ama  on the Seine and Rhone. Our travel insurance would not compensate us if we cancel and while we are not excited about the addition of more mask usage we fully support being as safe as possible. We'll make the best of everything and I'm guessing in the end we will thoroughly enjoy our cruises. 🤞

• Like 4

7 hours ago, lindalouT said:

i am...my issues are 1) w daily covid tests , and asymptomatic transmission....whats the plan if someone tests positive? do we get tossed off the boat in Heidelberg and eat tens of thousands of dollars in flights and viking charges? 2) Will we be prohibited from anything but the "field trip" group walks? No exploring on our own? no hiring a private guide? 3) (this may seem dumb, but it's a big deal to me) . I have a serious sleeping issues, obviously can be exacerbated by international travel...and i understand the daily tests have to be turned in by 7 am every day...on a vacation...And when you finally fall asleep at 3am, getting up a few hours later would be hard.  Like a lot of folks, I'm waiting for more "reports back" from others on the trips in real time. BUT i think if folks do cancel their reservations there will be more of these "consolidation of trips" with changes in departures and returns and room choice (which would lead to MORE folks canceling). SO FOLKS ON trips in next few weeks will be pivotal for us!

Which company/cruise is doing daily testing?  As far as I can tell, on my AMA trip to Jordan and Egypt, we just have to test when we get into Jordan ( if not vaccinated), Egypt (if not vaccinated) and going back to US.

We moved our Aug. 2021 Viking Danube Romantic Cruise several months ago due to the unknowns with COVID, getting in to Budapest, restricted movement, staying in the bubble, wearing of masks.  We understand the reasons for all of this but prefer not to deal with it if we avert it.  We are now on the same cruise in Aug. 2022.

Stan

• Like 3

lindalouT, , which cruise line is supposedly requiring it’s pax to turn in covid test swabs every morning by 7 a.m. (😳 !!! )? Wow, that’s a deal breaker for night owls!  Like you said, who wants to be locked into that on a vacation? (For early birds out there, this is comparable to having to turn in a swab at 1 or 2 a.m., lol!)   Hopefully you can enjoy your re-booked cruise without special restrictions.

Stan,  I sure hope you will be able to take your cruise next year with no special restrictions or complications. I think one of my biggest concerns is getting a false negative on a test. Who knows what that would entail?!  Oh, the hassles and expense THAT would surely cause! 

10 hours ago, mlbcruiser said:

lindalouT, , which cruise line is supposedly requiring it’s pax to turn in covid test swabs every morning by 7 a.m. (😳 !!! )? Wow, that’s a deal breaker for night owls!  Like you said, who wants to be locked into that on a vacation? (For early birds out there, this is comparable to having to turn in a swab at 1 or 2 a.m., lol!)   Hopefully you can enjoy your re-booked cruise without special restrictions.

Stan,  I sure hope you will be able to take your cruise next year with no special restrictions or complications. I think one of my biggest concerns is getting a false negative on a test. Who knows what that would entail?!  Oh, the hassles and expense THAT would surely cause! 

I read about daily testing I swear, and "having to turn in viles by 7am" and for me to take note it would have been a viking post. seemed to me it was someone who completed or was on a recent sailing. I WOULDNT bet my "silver beverages drinking package " on it. Let me look again, i think it was a response on a role call. Hope I'm wrong!

16 hours ago, mlbcruiser said:

So Daisi, I assume you plan plan to cancel your May ‘22 cruise? Totally due to the covid situation? If so, what aspect bothers you the most? 

Yes, we want to enjoy ourselves, and while I wear a mask, I do occasionally have panic attacks wearing one.  Fortunately, we still only go in and out of stores, no browsing, so it's easy if I feel one coming on to get out and remove my mask once safe.  I just worry about having to wear one on the plane and in the airport for close to 20 hrs, as well as out touring.  We are also "mixed-vaccined?", our first dose was the AZ, the 2nd Moderna, as Canada says take the first one available, so not sure if all European countries will accept that.  

As long as there is a "do not travel" advisory on, Avalon will change our 2022 cruise to 2023.  Right now, they don't have sailings at a time we wish for 2023 up yet, so we are also playing with taking the Grand France one as it's available.  I'm hoping that by 2023, things will be more normal.  Mind you, I was hoping that for 2022!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Daisi said:

Yes, we want to enjoy ourselves, and while I wear a mask, I do occasionally have panic attacks wearing one.  Fortunately, we still only go in and out of stores, no browsing, so it's easy if I feel one coming on to get out and remove my mask once safe.  I just worry about having to wear one on the plane and in the airport for close to 20 hrs, as well as out touring.  We are also "mixed-vaccined?", our first dose was the AZ, the 2nd Moderna, as Canada says take the first one available, so not sure if all European countries will accept that.  

As long as there is a "do not travel" advisory on, Avalon will change our 2022 cruise to 2023.  Right now, they don't have sailings at a time we wish for 2023 up yet, so we are also playing with taking the Grand France one as it's available.  I'm hoping that by 2023, things will be more normal.  Mind you, I was hoping that for 2022!

I have a cruise (ocean) booked for April 2022 and I am thinking of cancelling and moving it to fall. I don't have panic attacks. 

I have close friends (and their family) who are vaccinated and have gotten COVID Delta and their symptoms have not been mild. Though they have not been hospitalized but were close. A month later they are still having issues that scare them. Our county is where we were last February. Our schools are opening up in 2 weeks. I have no reason to think things are going to get better soon here. I think we will actually get worse. I hope next year we are back to normal but am having doubts. I thought a year ago that we would be better now.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Coral said:

I have a cruise (ocean) booked for April 2022 and I am thinking of cancelling and moving it to fall. I don't have panic attacks. 

I have close friends (and their family) who are vaccinated and have gotten COVID Delta and their symptoms have not been mild. Though they have not been hospitalized but were close. A month later they are still having issues that scare them. Our county is where we were last February. Our schools are opening up in 2 weeks. I have no reason to think things are going to get better soon here. I think we will actually get worse. I hope next year we are back to normal but am having doubts. I thought a year ago that we would be better now.

one of my issues is it seems any situation where there is regular random testing, (sports, politicians) they ALWAYS seem to find a bunch of asymptomatic cases. Then what? We, like many folks, spent a BIG chunk o change on these trips...and I'm not seeing any "official policies" for folks who test positive. I have travel insurance, would viking or the insurance company refund the price of my unfinished  cruise and changes in my first class airfare due to quarantine? Do i have to get off the ship wherever i test positive? who pays for the hoteL? . So many variables if  YOU dont feel crappy!. That said, my double-vaccinated 28-year-old and his room mate both are currently sick w Delta. one for 3 days, my son over 8 (but nothing super scary i assume to youth and his vaccination status). It's so contagious, i cant imagine NO one will test positive on the ship during the sailing....I hate all this uncertainty !!!

12 hours ago, mlbcruiser said:

Indeed! i found the post i had read, I know I hadn't imagined it! It's (in my opinion) a very helpful post for Viking river travelers on current situation. I really hope more folks report back like "Scrantunes" . It's on the "roll call" forum for Viking Rhine Getaway. The poster is "scrantunes" and it's post #254. He says on his recent viking river cruise (i guess through germany) there were daily tests that had to be turned in by 7am daily. It's the best post i've read so far as to current situation out there

My wife and I are on the Viking Grand European Cruise (Amsterdam-Budapest), embarking Sept. 5.

We are dying to go, and are unconcerned about COVID issues (I'm a surgeon, got it Feb 2020, deliberately infected myself July 2020-to test for antibodies), and we're both vaccinated (J&J). To be fair, I did miss 1 day of work when I first got it.

But, there are so many proviso's in the Viking paperwork that they are basically saying "You may never get off the boat and it's not our fault". Going to have to play this by ear right up until departure.

We don't want to sit on boat and watch the world pass by. The delta variant is a big distraction, but not a threat. It's much less virulent than the alpha variant (the previously common form), but it sure has certain segments of government with their panties in a wad.

I expect that despite what you read, 99.9% of cruisers on Viking will be vaccinated. COVID isn't the issue. Government/industry reaction to COVID is the issue, and none of us can predict what they will do. It's been a race for elected officials to say "See, I care more than this other politician does!"

I've been trying to make sure I get good exposure to the delta variant before the middle of August so there's no trace of any in my nasal passages in Sept. (vaccinated persons can carry the delta variant in their nasal passages for about 2 weeks but are completely asymptomatic in most cases). The problem I'm having is there are so few admissions to the hospital for the delta variant that I just can't be sure I can get good exposure to a patient who's carrying it.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, lindalouT said:

one of my issues is it seems any situation where there is regular random testing, (sports, politicians) they ALWAYS seem to find a bunch of asymptomatic cases. Then what? We, like many folks, spent a BIG chunk o change on these trips...and I'm not seeing any "official policies" for folks who test positive. I have travel insurance, would viking or the insurance company refund the price of my unfinished  cruise and changes in my first class airfare due to quarantine? Do i have to get off the ship wherever i test positive? who pays for the hoteL? . So many variables if  YOU dont feel crappy!. That said, my double-vaccinated 28-year-old and his room mate both are currently sick w Delta. one for 3 days, my son over 8 (but nothing super scary i assume to youth and his vaccination status). It's so contagious, i cant imagine NO one will test positive on the ship during the sailing....I hate all this uncertainty !!!

I was planning on an ocean cruise and then a river cruise and I would probably need to test before the river cruise for 2022. I was basing it on information for this year, right or wrong. Now - I am worried about not only testing positive but having symptoms and my vaccine will be a year old - will I have a booster before then? We have fully vaccinated people in our hospitals and have had 2 deaths amongst those vaccinated. 

My TA had a friend on Celebrity APEX this month who did test positive with minimal symptoms who was not allowed to board the ship in Europe. She has to stay inside her hotel room in Europe until she can fly home.

What scares me is preliminary research that vaccinated COVID patients can spread COVID (which is what happened to my friends family). I obviously am not a medical professional.

So sorry about your son and his room-mate. Glad they will probably recover quickly.

The world is pretty scary now. I completely agree with you that the unknown is scary and makes planning impossible.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Blindeye said:

I've been trying to make sure I get good exposure to the delta variant before the middle of August so there's no trace of any in my nasal passages in Sept. (vaccinated persons can carry the delta variant in their nasal passages for about 2 weeks but are completely asymptomatic in most cases). The problem I'm having is there are so few admissions to the hospital for the delta variant that I just can't be sure I can get good exposure to a patient who's carrying it.

We had a break out amongst hospital employees at a nearby town of Delta variant. We have those in the hospital here with the Delta variant. Consider yourself lucky.

45 minutes ago, Blindeye said:

My wife and I are on the Viking Grand European Cruise (Amsterdam-Budapest), embarking Sept. 5.

We are dying to go, and are unconcerned about COVID issues (I'm a surgeon, got it Feb 2020, deliberately infected myself July 2020-to test for antibodies), and we're both vaccinated (J&J). To be fair, I did miss 1 day of work when I first got it.

But, there are so many proviso's in the Viking paperwork that they are basically saying "You may never get off the boat and it's not our fault". Going to have to play this by ear right up until departure.

We don't want to sit on boat and watch the world pass by. The delta variant is a big distraction, but not a threat. It's much less virulent than the alpha variant (the previously common form), but it sure has certain segments of government with their panties in a wad.

I expect that despite what you read, 99.9% of cruisers on Viking will be vaccinated. COVID isn't the issue. Government/industry reaction to COVID is the issue, and none of us can predict what they will do. It's been a race for elected officials to say "See, I care more than this other politician does!"

i said to my husband, maybe we should expose our self now (fully vaccinated moderna)  so during  the 15-day trip in Fall will have alpha and delta immunity. Seems to me folks who have natural delta immunity plus the vaccine should be "good" not to be put in "most expensive wasted quarantine EVER" (just sitting in room on boat w food trays). Ideally, be nice to have  an updated booster but that wont happen in seven weeks. I'm afraid the cancellations will lead to more of these "consolidated trips" where you might lose your room choice and personally-made flights. Someone said Viking doesnt see a major change in sailing dates as them breaking contract and you'd have to take option or another one sailing in 30 days? Seems might be more prudent to cancel before that and have the "worry free" option? Or maybe would be BEST river cruise empty w tons of attention and boat to ourselves!!! no good answers

lindalouT, thanks SO much for the info on that thread!  Someone that is on a Uniworld cruise in France right now has posted that they are allowed to get off their boat and wander about on their own at the ports on their Paris to Normandy cruise. Temperatures are taken when they get off the ship and when they get back on. Sometimes I fear that when does call Viking, the rep that they may end up speaking with doesn’t have all the facts at hand themselves. Sort of a situation like the right hand does not know what the left hand is doing, as the saying goes. Of course that happens with so many companies in the travel industry. Other cruise lines, airlines and so forth. I could give you three examples over the past two weeks that involved some pretty major information. I was not even dealing with the same company each time! Guess the reps are doing their best but things are particularly weird right now.

Edited by mlbcruiser
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, lindalouT said:

i said to my husband, maybe we should expose our self now (fully vaccinated moderna)  so during  the 15-day trip in Fall will have alpha and delta immunity. Seems to me folks who have natural delta immunity plus the vaccine should be "good" not to be put in "most expensive wasted quarantine EVER" (just sitting in room on boat w food trays). Ideally, be nice to have  an updated booster but that wont happen in seven weeks. I'm afraid the cancellations will lead to more of these "consolidated trips" where you might lose your room choice and personally-made flights. Someone said Viking doesnt see a major change in sailing dates as them breaking contract and you'd have to take option or another one sailing in 30 days? Seems might be more prudent to cancel before that and have the "worry free" option? Or maybe would be BEST river cruise empty w tons of attention and boat to ourselves!!! no good answers

I personally would not do that. I have friends who got pretty sick from the Delta (and are still feeling sick) and they were vaccinated (one with Moderna). Who knows if there will be a different strain come fall. Good luck!!!

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Coral said:

I personally would not do that. I have friends who got pretty sick from the Delta (and are still feeling sick) and they were vaccinated (one with Moderna). Who knows if there will be a different strain come fall. Good luck!!!

i wouldnt risk it, but i wouldnt mind another shot!!! Be interesting to see how those august sailings go! That's the "X" factor. Viking would be smart to go above and beyond for the early cruisers as so many of us are waiting for their opinions!

• Like 2

On 7/29/2021 at 6:09 PM, lindalouT said:

..and i understand the daily tests have to be turned in by 7 am every day...on a vacation...

I´ve never heard that Viking river is doing a daily test. This is done by Viking ocean cruises where they do have PCR machines onboard for daily tests. A river cruise ship usually does not even have a doctor or nurse onboard.

steamboats

• Thanks 2

The J&J vaccine appears to have decent valency for the delta variant.

If you've received both doses of the mRNA vaccine the chances of serious illness from the delta variant are minuscule (assuming otherwise reasonably healthy).

The reporting I'm seeing by hospitals about delta variant admissions are exaggerated. They always speak in terms of "percent increase" rather than absolute numbers. Going from 1 patient to 2 patients is a 100% increase in cases.

The patients who are actually "sick" from the delta variant (that is, requiring emergency hospital admission) are in the VAST majority of cases unvaccinated, with comorbidities (age, diabetes, renal insufficiency, and dementia).

If you're vaccinated you're safe, with a 1/4,000 chance of hospitalization from COVID. Not zero, but pretty damn low.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, steamboats said:

I´ve never heard that Viking river is doing a daily test. This is done by Viking ocean cruises where they do have PCR machines onboard for daily tests. A river cruise ship usually does not even have a doctor or nurse onboard.

steamboats

according to a passenger who posted on the "viking Rhine Getaway"  thread, who just returned , "Scrantunes" it's post #254 , they did daily tests. My impression was they were self administered? I dont think he went into that

• Thanks 1