NCL check in photo

Kathy0329

12 hours ago, nudistcruzer said:

For Passports I don't think you are allowed to smile anymore. 

True. I had a real difficult time taking the picture for my passport before this one. (We do it in the Passport office when applying)

"Don't smile"

"I'm not!"

"Yes you are"

"You're still smiling!"

"Noooo... I'm not!!"

It took a while to get it done. And the guy handling it definitely was not smiling...

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, nudistcruzer said:

For Passports I don't think you are allowed to smile anymore. I think the instructions were think of the last person you loved who died. That is the expression they want...

Pleas pleas please don’t bump old threads. They often contain old and invalid information that causes confusion. This thread has been dead for well over 2 years. And the post you were quoting was about your NCL checkin photo and nothing about passports or dead people. 

16 hours ago, ontheweb said:

🤦‍♂️, That is awful. I hope it is not true.

I was kidding about thinking about the last person you knew who died. I'm not kidding about the expression. Officially: 

"Have a neutral facial expression with both eyes open and mouth closed."

15 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Pleas pleas please don’t bump old threads. They often contain old and invalid information that causes confusion. This thread has been dead for well over 2 years. And the post you were quoting was about your NCL checkin photo and nothing about passports or dead people. 

Did you think I should create a brand new thread? With the same title and leave this thread to be found with potential incorrect information. I was looking for information about the Check-in photo, this is all I found. Incorrect or not, this is all the information provided about this subject. Much better to update the information in the same thread then leave it to show incorrect information. It still comes up in searches related to Check-in photo on NCL... If you don't want the information found, find out how to delete the thread. So leave old threads to be found and let them provide incorrect information? I'm never going to do that. It would have been different if I did a search and there was a newer thread.  I only post on the first thread found on a subject.  Should there be a new thread on the same subject every month? Should every thread on the subject have the same title? Many threads with the title "NCL check-in photo"? You apparently were still following an old thread. Why follow a thread then get angry when someone posts?

Edited by nudistcruzer
  • Like 2

Just now, Anoynmous Phoenix said:

The last twice we boarded (July & August) we had to have our photo taken on the quay.  No one really could tell me why.   BUT I believe that you don't need to do that online any more, they are taking them at check-in as they used to,

So they require you to take photos as a part of check in for no reason?

6 minutes ago, Anoynmous Phoenix said:

@nudistcruzer

It appeared that way to me.

I have, in the past, spent over an hour getting the two for us both to be accepted and don't want to waste that time again.   If it doesn't work first time I think i will jus roll up at the desk and take my chance.

I didn't have any issue with uploading the photo.  (Although, I did I.T. support for a professional photo lab for 10 years though.) I have also taken my own passport photos in the past. I can say though I would prefer to not have to take a photo. Now, I also go to AAA for free passport photos and they even sometimes screw it up.

4 minutes ago, Anoynmous Phoenix said:

@nudistcruzer

I cannot confirm whether they now REQUIRE you to do the photo online or allow you to bypass the requirement till you arrive at the port.

I will know in 26 days when we are 21 days from our next cruise!!

I just had to take the photo last night my cruise is in 14 days on the Viva... It is possible I didn't need the photo. But somewhere before I had to check-in, here on Cruise Critic, I read that I would need it. So, I already had it ready to upload.  If it said something like "it was not required", I don't remember seeing that.

Edited by nudistcruzer

I uploaded a picture for a cruise earlier this year with no problem. Saved the picture and tried to use it for the next cruise. Was not accepted. I tried to use it anyway when checking in for another cruise last week. No problem! So its really a hit and miss!

2 hours ago, Asawi said:

I uploaded a picture for a cruise earlier this year with no problem. Saved the picture and tried to use it for the next cruise. Was not accepted. I tried to use it anyway when checking in for another cruise last week. No problem! So its really a hit and miss!

I have a couple of recent photos of my wife and of myself to use for this type of thing when necessary. For one check-in, photo A of my wife was accepted, but I had to try two of myself before my photo C was accepted. A few months later, checking in for a second cruise, my photo A was accepted, which had been rejected before. For my wife, photo A was rejected after having been previously accepted, but her photo B was accepted. 

In both cases, we had to submit photos to complete check-in (most recent one was in September this year). In both cases, they took photos of us when we arrived at the terminal.

I have no idea what purpose it serves to require a photo for check-in. 

I will find out in 16 days if I have to take the photo again. I always take my cruise photos in the same spot with a neutral light grey background, straight on headshot, good lighting, no expression. I do my check in on the app and take the photo during check in and found it quick and easy.

When we checked in for b2b, for the first cruise we each had to be rejected 3 times before it said we were checked in, but would need our picture taken during check in at the ship.  Second cruise it only took one rejection each before it allowed us to check in at the ship.  Thought that was progress.

• Like 1

We both had our photos retaken at the pier in Southampton this past August. I was even told I could leave my glasses on after I asked if I had to take them off. (They did make me take my sunglasses that were on top of my head off.)

Okay.. very EXCITING day !!!! Check In day for our Dec 10 NCL Encore cruise !!!! Just checked in this morning.. My results using MacBook & Safari on the Check In Photos, I tried to use the Existing photo option for both myself & my son, it just continually did the "spinning" & never denied it or accepted it. So after that, I just refreshed my browser, went back in & used the Take Photo option & took the photo thru our MacBook camera & it worked for both myself & my son.. Hope this helps anyone else & we are so excited !!!!

First time sailing again in FIVE years from Covid shutdown !!!!! I will literally be crying when I step foot on that ship !!!!! Sailing out of Miami & we have the Intercontinental Miami hotel booked before & after the cruise so as not to be rushed getting on or off the ship !!! We have a Spa Balcony room (booked before the changes) & Vibe Beach passes (first time booking Vibe- so excited), so we plan to do a LOT of relaxing !!!!!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, shof515 said:

be prepared for the terminal check in people to retake your photo. i sailed on the escape twice recently and both times they had to retake my picture in the terminal

But it is still really quick even with photos being retaken. At least it was for us boarding the Prima in Southampton, UK.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/19/2023 at 11:32 AM, ontheweb said:

But it is still really quick even with photos being retaken. At least it was for us boarding the Prima in Southampton, UK.

They did not take a photo of me when boarding the Viva... (Though, I've taken my own passport photos in the past and I did also work in a pro photo lab for 10 years...)