LIVE (hopefully) from the Nieuw Amsterdam's 2nd Alsakan Sailing

Brentt_M

So, if you are taking this cruise in the next few weeks, absolutely go to the Red Dog Saloon, and ask for Charlie, she's a great server!

It is definitely as bawdy as you'd expect from a wild west style saloon, but if you have the sense of humor for it, it's amazing.  (The house shot is called a "Duck Fart" to give you an idea.  If that doesn't turn you off immediately, go and have several, you won't be disappointed!)

I'll have pictures later, but I'm on my computer, so I can't post them from my phone, which is with my wife currently.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, liam1965 said:

So, if you are taking this cruise in the next few weeks, absolutely go to the Red Dog Saloon, and ask for Charlie, she's a great server!

It is definitely as bawdy as you'd expect from a wild west style saloon, but if you have the sense of humor for it, it's amazing.  (The house shot is called a "Duck Fart" to give you an idea.  If that doesn't turn you off immediately, go and have several, you won't be disappointed!)

I'll have pictures later, but I'm on my computer, so I can't post them from my phone, which is with my wife currently.

I have a hard time doing shooters and the duck fart was impossible for me!!! And that was when I was “younger”, lol.

Not to start rumors or cause panic, but this morning the ship went yellow on the CDC website, and I just witnessed several crew exchanging their cloth masks for N95s.

Be careful out there!

Edited by liam1965
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, Brentt_M said:

Took an absolute beatdown at the craps table tonight. Almost bad enough to make me cry.  Ok maybe not actually cry, but it was brutal and it happens with gambling from time to time.

That's too bad.  Been there. 😞 What are the craps table minimums?

3 hours ago, Himself said:

I watched your ship pull in from Naperville thanks to the camera in Juneau.  Enjoy your day day and if you have time stop into the Alaskan Fudge Company.  They have good fudge!

Alsakan fudge is closed for this season 😞

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So we did the mendenhall glacier float trip.  It is a very leisurely float with just a few light rapids that can splash you a bit.  No risk of getting knocked out of the raft at all.  Overall I would say it is a good excursion that would work for almost anyone.  We did some a few bald eagles and had some ok views of the glacier on the distant.  The water is so grey from the glacial silt it is really kind of crazy.

20210802_143027.jpg

20210802_160923.jpg

20210802_150300.jpg

20210802_163130.jpg

20210802_145800.jpg

20210802_154811.jpg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, cruisewiththekids said:

How has the internet been while docked in Juneau?   Will be on board in a couple weeks and need to complete some work for business probably on Juneau day.   Concerned about complaints of unreliable internet.

The internet was good for the first 24 hours and non existent since about 5pm last night

I’m using cell services to post this, still nothing through the ship.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, cruisewiththekids said:

How has the internet been while docked in Juneau?   Will be on board in a couple weeks and need to complete some work for business probably on Juneau day.   Concerned about complaints of unreliable internet.

The library right next to the dock supposedly has very good wifi, but @liam1965 is absolutely right the ship internet has been crap since I woke up this morning.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, liam1965 said:

Not to start rumors or cause panic, but this morning the ship went yellow on the CDC website, and I just witnessed several crew exchanging their cloth masks for N95s.

Be careful out there!

Probably precautionary due to passengers returning, most of whom were not masked up while they were out and about. That's my guess.

• Like 1