LIVE (hopefully) from the Nieuw Amsterdam's 2nd Alsakan Sailing

Brentt_M

2 minutes ago, cal56girl said:

We’ve been twice and going again in September. If I get to choose the cruise to Alaska, I always choose the one that goes to Glacier Bay!

This was my third time as well... out of 5 total cruises.  Already have one booked for next July too

• Like 5

2 hours ago, cal56girl said:

I always choose the one that goes to Glacier Bay!

No question that Glacier Bay is great.  I try to select a cruise that includes Glacier Bay as well as Hubbard Glacier which I think is even more magnificent.  

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Brentt_M said:

Just watched Magician & Illusionist Joseph Reohm in the main stage.  I thought it was a very good performance and he was rather funny.  He had my daughter laughing and the general HAL audience at the the ssme time and that is not always the easiest thing to do.

Thank you for your reporting! What time do most of the shows start? I'd hate to miss them if I made our dinner reservations at the wrong time. 

1 hour ago, curtdesilets said:

Were the Forest Rangers on the ship during Glacier Bay?  They were a wealth of information last time we went. Also, any PEA SOUP?   

Yes rangers were onboard.  The when and where said there would be Pea Soup, but we spent all day on our balcony so not sure if it was actually served.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

No question that Glacier Bay is great.  I try to select a cruise that includes Glacier Bay as well as Hubbard Glacier which I think is even more magnificent.  

Will keep that in mind. Thank you!

Hey Brentt,

Thanks so much, fantastic reporting so far! Has the weather allowed for much or any on deck lounging or is the weather just too cold? I love being “outside and topside” as much as possible and have never done Alaska before. Will be on the 08/14 sailing and am curious whether it’s possible to spend much time topside or not regardless of sights. Of course my weather may be much different then but thought I’d ask. Thanks so much!

• Like 1

Fantastic photos too there Brentt. It's hard not to love an aft balcony once you've been on one, and especially a wrap-around. We loved the portside small wrap on the back end of the Veendam in Bermuda in 2015, and even better a large full wrap-around one on the CCL Pride's aft in 2011.

Edited by Destiny0315

14 minutes ago, Tridentnyc said:

Hey Brentt,

Thanks so much, fantastic reporting so far! Has the weather allowed for much or any on deck lounging or is the weather just too cold? I love being “outside and topside” as much as possible and have never done Alaska before. Will be on the 08/14 sailing and am curious whether it’s possible to spend much time topside or not regardless of sights. Of course my weather may be much different then but thought I’d ask. Thanks so much!

We have spent plenty of time outside.  While the ship is moving it can be a bit cold, but out of the wind and in the sun (if it is out) is usually very nice.

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, Sir PMP said:

Are you saying that there are Covid cases on board?

+1 besides the mask switch please fill us in on “lots of circumstantial evidence”.  If there are positive cases than it’s important to us to observe how HAL handles it.  As it may impact our decision to sail 

thanks 

• Like 1

I have not seen anything except the mask change. There has been absolutely no communication about. It would just be speculation.  However, it is very likely there will be some cases on almost all cruises and there is no reason for HAL or any cruise line to broadcast when they do happen unless they are required to.

It has been basically a pre-pause cruise from my experience and I am happy with that.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Wow! If only we can have the same weather next week! Any idea why CDC has ship in Code Yellow? Any announcement?

And the week after! Our only time in Glacier Bay was cold and grey.

50 minutes ago, Tridentnyc said:

Hey Brentt,

In 2007 on our Alaska cruise Juneau was in the 50s, Glacier Bay in the 30s and then we hit blue skies in Sitka and Ketchikan and temps in the 70s. With both days having early departures the, we spent enough time by the aft pool that we came home with sun tans. 🙂 (It was the second week of September)

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Brentt_M said:

I have not seen anything except the mask change. There has been absolutely no communication about. It would just be speculation.  However, it is very likely there will be some cases on almost all cruises and there is no reason for HAL or any cruise line to broadcast when they do happen unless they are required to.

It has been basically a pre-pause cruise from my experience and I am happy with that.

Thanks for the update appreciate it.  We are on the Rotterdam TA (hopefully) so am tracking how HAL protocols work

We went on Viking to Iceland and had no cases but other sailings have experienced a few.    Think cases are going to happen it more how the ship handles it afterwards