LIVE (hopefully) from the Nieuw Amsterdam's 2nd Alsakan Sailing

Brentt_M

For me I have enjoyed using navigator for things. It has not been an issue at all really.  However, I did find I had more luck using the browser based version of it instead of the android app when on the ship.  Just connect to the ships wifi network and go to navigator.hollandamerica.com and it looks/functions just like the app while onboard.  You do not need to have purchased any wifi package to do this. You do have to be at least 13 to use it though so my son cannot and it would have been nice for the chat function for when he was at the Loft and I was somewhere else.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, Brentt_M said:

We have no formal plans today in Sitka today.  They kiddos are sleeping in a bit and then we will get around and do some exploring on our own and grab lunch in town and do a bit of shopping.  If anyone has some lunch suggestions we would be open to considering any of them.  

we were there about 2 years ago and had a nice lunch at https://www.sitkabayviewpub.com/

easy walk from where the shuttle drops off

I was going to suggest a walk down to the Indian Cultural Center and take the traii to the Indian River to catch the Salmon Run but according the the website the trails are closed due to bears ;-/

https://www.nps.gov/sitk/index.htm

I grew up in AK and Sitka is one of my favorite towns in the state

Edited by sfocruiser
  • Like 5

The other direction is the Sitka Pioneers Home.  It was originally built in 1913 and was intended for old time Alaskans.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sitka_Pioneer_Home

The grounds and building are worth the walk and inside there is a small gift shop which at least used to be stocked with gifts hand made by the residences(all proceeds go back to them as well).   Its not fancy, and very small townish but if you keep your expectations low it might worth checking out

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60966-d11643851-Reviews-Sitka_Pioneers_Home_Gift_Shop-Sitka_Alaska.html

Edited by sfocruiser
  • Like 3

We recently saw an episode of Andrew Zimmern’s Delicious Destinations that featured Sitka. It first aired in January 2021, so I’m not sure when it was filmed. 

I took notes (disclaimer: we’ve never eaten at any of these places). Here’s the recommendations from the show:

Salmon: Ludwig’s Bistro

Halibut fish n chips: Baranof Fish Market

Dungeness crab: Halibut Point Crab n Chowder

Black cod tips: Ashmo’s

Let us know where you end up for lunch and if you’d recommend. We’ll be there in September. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, zelker said:

@Brentt_M  If you guys like chocolate, look for the Sitka- made Theobroma-brand chocolate bars (in several flavors) ... they are SOOOOOO good!

Enjoy Sitka!

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.  We will see where they day leads us.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, liam1965 said:

...there has been zero communication. I find it interesting comparing and contrasting the protocols on this shipment versus on the crystal serenity that I was on two weeks ago. There, we had to take a rapid antigen test before boarding, we were given another the day before we returned so that we could get back into the US, and our temperatures were taken every time we went to a meal. And also every time we got off the ship.

When the Celebrity Edge had seven positive cases last week, there were three separate announcements made by the captain so it would appear that HAL is taking the "don't ask, don't tell" approach. Also, today Carnival just announced required negative COVID test prior to embarkation and mandatory mask wearing in public spaces onboard future sailings starting August 7th. Wonder if these new requirements will trickle down to HAL and other lines in the Carnival portfolio or whether each line is the "Captain Of It's Own Destiny? Sorry, couldn't help myself! 😉

1 minute ago, Tridentnyc said:

When the Celebrity Edge had seven positive cases last week, there were three separate announcements made by the captain so it would appear that HAL is taking the "don't ask, don't tell" approach. Also, today Carnival just announced required negative COVID test prior to embarkation and mandatory mask wearing in public spaces onboard future sailings starting August 7th. Wonder if these new requirements will trickle down to HAL and other lines in the Carnival portfolio or whether each line is the "Captain Of It's Own Destiny? Sorry, couldn't help myself! 😉

Apparently HAL is now requiring masks in indoor spaces starting 8/7 and will be requiring a negative covid test within 72 hours of sailing on the 8/14 sailing.  The email someone received also said there won't be any testing available at the dock so you have to do it prior to the cruise.

• Like 1

Fin Island lodge is picturesque, but the food is hit  and miss.  A few things too salty, nothing quite warm enough.

It’s a fun excursion, but if you’re doing it for the food, you’re doing it wrong.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, roxybear135 said:

Apparently HAL is now requiring masks in indoor spaces starting 8/7 and will be requiring a negative covid test within 72 hours of sailing on the 8/14 sailing.  The email someone received also said there won't be any testing available at the dock so you have to do it prior to the cruise.

Interesting, we're on the 08/14 sailing but have yet to receive the same email and the health protocols on the website are still showing a "last update" as of 07/20. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Tridentnyc said:

I was on the first Cruise last week so missed a lot of News.  Celebrity had 7 positive cases last week so announcements were made (which they should be).  I understand that RCL had Cases, too.

Are you saying that you know for sure that there are Covid Positive Cases onboard the NA right now and that HAL is withholding info from the Passengers taking a "don't ask, don't tell" approach?  I haven't seen anything with regards to HAL having Positive Cases so can you please post where you read this and that it's been confirmed?  

• Like 2

IF there are positive cases on board I am not sure why HAL should make announcements about that to the other passengers.  Do your contact tracing and notify those identified.  Its not like they are going to let confirmed cases just roam around the ship. They will be quarantined and isolated. If you feel like you need to know that there was a positive case onboard so you could do something different I would suggest you should probably just assume therr is and follow your own personal procedures the whole trip.  The only way HAL (currently) going to identify a positive passenger is through self reporting.

• Like 14

So a pretty wet day in Sitka, but the temperature was amazing. We walked around downtown Sitka for s bit and through some shops. There were numerous shops and restraunts that were closed though 😞

20210804_104318.thumb.jpg.b45cbe02432fcab9ac35b1268d629782.jpg

(Pretty sure I embarassed my daughter here)

20210804_132322.jpg.677439215b2014bcdbef999d8b43796f.jpg

(2019 visit)

25247.thumb.jpeg.c7d7d8a5dd5fd32f027d6969b941f96e.jpeg

(Today)

20210804_103745.jpg

20210804_103221.jpg

20210804_103703.jpg

20210804_103404.jpg

• Like 17

16 minutes ago, idiebabe said:

I was on the first Cruise last week so missed a lot of News.  Celebrity had 7 positive cases last week so announcements were made (which they should be).  I understand that RCL had Cases, too.

Are you saying that you know for sure that there are Covid Positive Cases onboard the NA right now and that HAL is withholding info from the Passengers taking a "don't ask, don't tell" approach?  I haven't seen anything with regards to HAL having Positive Cases so can you please post where you read this and that it's been confirmed?  

Sorry, that was not my intention. There has been a lot of questions as to why the cruise this week has been at "Yellow" status since sailing. As per the CDC's own descriptors on this, a ship will only be rated "Yellow" if there is a certain threshold of positive cases among crew or passengers. You can see the CDC breakdown of it's color coding here. Again, sorry for any confusion, was not my intent. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/crew-disembarkations-commercial-travel.html

Edited by Tridentnyc
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, roxybear135 said:

I’m on that sailing and have heard nothing of the sort. 

2 hours ago, roxybear135 said:

@roxybear135 are you certain the email you are referring to is a HAL email and not a Carnival one? You describe their new sailing protocols and timeline exactly, just double checking. Thanks!

8 minutes ago, Tridentnyc said:

...are you certain the email you are referring to is a HAL email and not a Carnival one? You describe their new sailing protocols and timeline exactly, just double checking. Thanks!

See Post 13 of this Thread: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2794510-hal-requiring-masks/?tab=comments#comment-61586303

Edited by syesmar
  • Like 1