LIVE (hopefully) from the Nieuw Amsterdam's 2nd Alsakan Sailing

Brentt_M

1 minute ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Three cheers of embarkation day for the three of you!  I support your comment 100% about enjoying your vacation as the week”s priority. Lisa went above & beyond in laying the groundwork!

But as time permits, I think everybody will be enjoying this perspective, too, from a dad with two teenagers on this special Alaska vacation. Have a great time on this special trip together.

Lisa did an amazing job with her report and it will be difficult to follow that, but the fact that our experiences and perspectives will most likely be quite a bit different from hers is one of the main reasons I decided to give a live report a go.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, liam1965 said:

It’s embarkation day!  It’s embarkation day!

(To the tune of the Howdy Doodie theme song)

So excited, I couldn’t sleep past 4am.  Well, that and I’m an east coast boy who usually gets up between 6 and 6:36...

But sitting around the hotel just waiting is driving me nuts. I am ready to be onboard that dam ship!

• Like 10
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, dobiemom said:

Your ship is here. 😉

CDC6DC15-2BB0-4AB3-BB32-C9B990CCA40D.jpeg

Yay!  I know there has been a lot of debate about if they are enforcing boarding times, but I have a small feeling show up now probably wouldn't work...

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

17 minutes ago, Brentt_M said:

But sitting around the hotel just waiting is driving me nuts. I am ready to be onboard that dam ship!

The only reason I’m less antsy is the Crystal Cruise we disembarked one week ago.  Not a normal thing for us, but fate threw it at us, so we rolled with it.

Still excited, just not the jonesing of an addict too long without a fix like we were two weeks ago!

10 minutes ago, Brentt_M said:

Yay!  I know there has been a lot of debate about if they are enforcing boarding times, but I have a small feeling show up now probably wouldn't work...

I was told by my cruise consultant that they’re rejecting anyone who shows up more than 20 before their listed time.

Then again, with as often as they’ve changed ours, which listed time is that, exactly?

• Like 2

The Celebrity Edge has been reporting more cases on board, and now some policies have changed including mandatory antigen tests prior to boarding.  I hope someone here will report on all new requirements for each sailing.  I hope this does not lead to canceling cruises.  On the Edge, for those who will test positive, there will be a refund or FCC.  

10 minutes ago, Galley Slave said:

Will you let us know if people are wearing masks in places where they can't social distance, like the theater or in lines?  We are on the 8/7 cruise and are concerned about the Delta variant being so contagious.  

On the Crystal Serenity on July 17, there was rapid antigen testing for everyone getting on the ship and most people paid $25 for another just before getting off (required by the Bahamas for those staying longer and by the US for those entering the US).  There were no masks anywhere on board but always when off the ship except on the beaches.

I’m looking forward to seeing what HAL does.

1 minute ago, NavArch64 said:

Why is the ship still CDC Orange?

A CDC tribute to HAL? 

In all seriousness, I am not sure how we are supposed to know the answer to that without it just being speculation.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, AKJonesy said:

The Celebrity Edge has been reporting more cases on board, and now some policies have changed including mandatory antigen tests prior to boarding.  I hope someone here will report on all new requirements for each sailing.  I hope this does not lead to canceling cruises.  On the Edge, for those who will test positive, there will be a refund or FCC.  

Well if they are going to "86" me from the ships manifest(like lobster tails from the menu), I would prefer it to be at embarkation rather than two ports into the cruise.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Destiny0315 said:

Well if they are going to "86" me from the ships manifest(like lobster tails from the menu), I would prefer it to be at embarkation rather than two ports into the cruise.

I agree.  I would rather have a test at embarkation instead of in port.  

Just now, NavArch64 said:

Apparently the CDC codes are based on data from 7/29 ... Now 2 days old. My guess is that as of today the ship is CDC Green ... We just don't have the current data.

I am ok with Orange or Green (obviously green would be preferred). I just don't want to see one of those other colors.

• Like 4