Antigen tests

mgmigs

39 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

On the issue of what tests are what, can you clarify an issue for me? The testing facility at FLL offers the following:

Q: What types of COVID-19 tests does Nomi Health offer? 
A: Three types of tests are offered: Rapid Antigen, Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR), and Rapid PCR 

Is a "Rapid PCR" the same as a PCR test, but you pay more for the quicker turnaround time, or is there an actual difference in the testing methodology?

TIA

I'll try!

A Rapid PCR is most likely an in-house point of care system. It's usually a smallish benchtop system that's designed to do at most a handful of specimens on site with usually a 45 minute to an hour run time. It uses PCR technology, but likely as not in a cartridge system for simplicity and speed. It's what you'd probably get for pre-admission screening in an emergency department.

When they're talking about a PCR without the rapid qualifier in that context, they're talking about a moderate to high throughput device and batching specimens for efficiency. They may or may not be sending those out to a reference lab, but most of your delay comes from either batching, or sending to a reference lab.

Once the specimen is in the machine, the differences in methodology are pretty much in simplification. PCR is pretty much PCR for CC purposes. And, yes, the cost difference is largely for the quicker turnaround, but also the consumables in the device tend to be more expensive, which also facilitates the quicker turnaround.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, markeb said:

I'll try!

A Rapid PCR is most likely an in-house point of care system. It's usually a smallish benchtop system that's designed to do at most a handful of specimens on site with usually a 45 minute to an hour run time. It uses PCR technology, but likely as not in a cartridge system for simplicity and speed. It's what you'd probably get for pre-admission screening in an emergency department.

When they're talking about a PCR without the rapid qualifier in that context, they're talking about a moderate to high throughput device and batching specimens for efficiency. They may or may not be sending those out to a reference lab, but most of your delay comes from either batching, or sending to a reference lab.

Once the specimen is in the machine, the differences in methodology are pretty much in simplification. PCR is pretty much PCR for CC purposes. And, yes, the cost difference is largely for the quicker turnaround, but also the consumables in the device tend to be more expensive, which also facilitates the quicker turnaround.

Many thanks, that certainly helps to clarify the situation for me!

• Like 1

I would like to simplify, but on some level, I can't.

The FDA lists 32 different antigen tests approved for emergency use (EUA). All of those tests are approved for use in a laboratory setting of varying capabilities (acceptable to Celebrity from the information provided so far). Four of those tests are different versions of the Abbott BinaxNOW; three of those are approved for home use. Celebrity doesn't accept home use testing. 

I just randomly did a search of CVS locations in my area. The Minute Clinics do offer a rapid antigen test, which they ultimately schedule as a "Rapid-result test (antigen)". If you just go to CVS.com for testing information, you're going to see the BinaxNOW home kit (which is sold out online...); you have to dig into the Minute Clinic for that information. 

Walgreens doesn't seem to have a similar program, at least not apparent on their web page. They do offer PCR at most locations, but no guarantee of getting the results back fast enough, although most people on CC have reported success. 

As some have found, there is a cottage industry out there in testing. A lot of those appear to be "out of network" and are going to charge, and some of those charges are significant. If you have a primary care provider, I'd suggest contacting them to see what options they can offer, and whether you'll need physician's orders. A lot of facilities in my area have scaled back or even closed there screening areas; they may be opening them again shortly!

I just got an E-mail from Celebrity informing me of the new requirement for a negative Covid test to be perform no earlier than 72 hours of boarding. Our boarding date 16 August 15, 2021.  My problem is that we fly in to Ft. Lauderdale on August 13th.  Tring to get it on the 12th would be risky in case we didn't get the results back before our flight.  We plan on getting tested this week just in case one or both of us tested positive we wouldn't have waisted the money by flying to Florida just to get denied boarding.  Regardless of all that, does anyone know if there are testing sites there at the terminal?  I'd think that since Royal Caribbean also requires a test that pop up sites would be pretty frequent in the area.  Anyone has any information or thoughts on this? 

6 minutes ago, dglass4321 said:

I just got an E-mail from Celebrity informing me of the new requirement for a negative Covid test to be perform no earlier than 72 hours of boarding. Our boarding date 16 August 15, 2021.  My problem is that we fly in to Ft. Lauderdale on August 13th.  Tring to get it on the 12th would be risky in case we didn't get the results back before our flight.  We plan on getting tested this week just in case one or both of us tested positive we wouldn't have waisted the money by flying to Florida just to get denied boarding.  Regardless of all that, does anyone know if there are testing sites there at the terminal?  I'd think that since Royal Caribbean also requires a test that pop up sites would be pretty frequent in the area.  Anyone has any information or thoughts on this? 

https://fasttestnow.com/

7 minutes ago, dglass4321 said:

Regardless of all that, does anyone know if there are testing sites there at the terminal? 

Air or cruise?

FLL has a testing site. Follow this link and scroll down for details: https://www.broward.org/airport/passengers/flights/advisories/pages/default.aspx

Port Everglades? No permanent testing site AFAIK, and after last weekend, I doubt that Celebrity is considering a pop up site there.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, dglass4321 said:

We don't get in to Ft Lauderdale until after 10:00PM so testing at the airport isn't an option as they close at 9:00PM.

1 minute ago, dglass4321 said:

We don't get in to Ft Lauderdale until after 10:00PM so testing at the airport isn't an option as they close at 9:00PM.

You might want to enquire whether it would be possible to be tested the following day as they were closed when you arrived. They may not be the best option, but it's good to have as many alternatives as possible.

I just booked Antigen Rapid Covid tests (30 minute results)  for us 72 hours from ship departure (just to cover any interpretation of what embarkation means).    The cost was $99 and my health care provider advised me to just submit a claim to them and i would be reimbursed.    They have an online portal she sent me for submitting the claims. 

Might be helpful  for others to check with  their insurance provider about reimbursements.  

Edited by Jim_Iain

13 minutes ago, LJJQ said:

Jim_Lain,

Where did you book the Antigen Rapid Test? 

I just googled on "Antigen Covid Test near me"     It returned about 7 locations and prices varied between $49 - $200.     I chose one through

https://www.covidclinic.org/testing-sites    I was able to schedule our in Palo Alto which is about 8 miles away.    They had a choice of a Free ones with results in 48-72 hours or the Rapid Antigen Test.

They also had much more expensive ones also.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, LJJQ said:

Jim_Lain,

Where did you book the Antigen Rapid Test? 

I just had a rapid COVID test from Walgreens yesterday.  I had to schedule it the day before.  I got the results via email within 3 hours.  It came from a lab called PWN, and had pdf’s of certificates for printing out attached.  My health insurance covered all costs.  It was self administered at the Walgreens drive thru window.   Very easy process.   I am planning on using this again for our Equinox cruise in September, if requirements stay the same.

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

Air or cruise?

FLL has a testing site. Follow this link and scroll down for details: https://www.broward.org/airport/passengers/flights/advisories/pages/default.aspx

Port Everglades? No permanent testing site AFAIK, and after last weekend, I doubt that Celebrity is considering a pop up site there.

Limited to air travelers...
Q: How does Nomi Health ensure testing will only be made available to FLL travelers?
A: Passengers will need to show proof of a valid airline ticket, boarding pass, or confirmed (paid) flight itinerary.

We would have to find something on West Coast of Fla ,as we would be driving from there to the ship, day before or day of the cruise..

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DWhit said:

I just had a rapid COVID test from Walgreens yesterday.  I had to schedule it the day before.  I got the results via email within 3 hours.  It came from a lab called PWN, and had pdf’s of certificates for printing out attached.  My health insurance covered all costs.  It was self administered at the Walgreens drive thru window.   Very easy process.   I am planning on using this again for our Equinox cruise in September, if requirements stay the same.

I had checked Walgreens and one would think living in middle of Silicon Valley (SF Bay Area)  it would have better access.

For the Rapid Test  the closest place with availability is Las Vegas (530 miles away)  or Medford Oregon (400 Miles away).

For the PCR test they only show dates for today and tomorrow -  nothing further out.

4 minutes ago, LJJQ said:

DWhit,

Thanks for information on Walgreens! We are driving down from New York and will be in Vero Beach on September 22 -24! We board the Summit on September 25th.

You may not be required to have a test.    Current requirements at this  time are for cruises between  August 6 - September 6.  

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, hcat said:

Re post no 109 by Sanger

Are those offered  by  branches in Fla?

Do they accept  Medicare or insurance?

Private pay cost?

https://www.walgreens.com/findcare/covid19/testing

it appears to offered in Florida. As far as I can tell, Walgreens Covid tests are free. I had the ID now in Ohio a couple months ago, and they didn’t ask for any insurance information or any payment. Now, I do get prescriptions through Walgreens so they had it if they needed it. But their website says free and that it’s paid for through government grants, so I think it’s no charge.

48 minutes ago, hcat said:

We would have to find something on West Coast of Fla ,as we would be driving from there to the ship, day before or day of the cruise..

That's right, as you will be driving and not flying to FLL, you'll need to find a test site other than at the airport.

22 minutes ago, mgmigs said:

The other thing to be careful of is trying to not get COVID in ft lauderdale before you embark 😵💫

Like many, this is my nightmare. I plan to test before flying to FLL, but what happens if your tested positive at the port or in FLL ? You cant fly home and technically, according to most board of health guidelines, you and your party would have to quarantine in FLL at a hotel for 10 to 14 days. I dont think Celebrity will fly a guest home if they test positive at the port before boarding. I might be wrong, but I find no provision for this situation on Celebrity Site 

10 minutes ago, runningtide said:

Like many, this is my nightmare. I plan to test before flying to FLL, but what happens if your tested positive at the port or in FLL ? You cant fly home and technically, according to most board of health guidelines, you and your party would have to quarantine in FLL at a hotel for 10 to 14 days. I dont think Celebrity will fly a guest home if they test positive at the port before boarding. I might be wrong, but I find no provision for this situation on Celebrity Site 

I agree, for many of us the thought of flying to Fort Lauderdale and overnighting before embarking on a cruise is quite scary given the situation there. On the other hand, as DW and I are both fully vaccinated (Moderna), will have tested negative at home before flying, are used to masking in public for extended periods of time, and will limit potential exposure to a minimum, we feel that the possibility of contracting COVID prior to embarkation is quite slim.  

• Like 1

Just now, Fouremco said:

I agree, for many of us the thought of flying to Fort Lauderdale and overnighting before embarking on a cruise is quite scary given the situation there. On the other hand, as DW and I are both fully vaccinated (Moderna), will have tested negative at home before flying, are used to masking in public for extended periods of time, and will limit potential exposure to a minimum, we feel that the possibility of contracting COVID prior to embarkation is quite slim.  

Thanks so much for the response.Thats what I thought also. Both of us are also vaccinated, and we are both also COVID survivors from a past January infection. No major symptoms, but not a comfortable several weeks in isolation. Good luck. 

5 minutes ago, runningtide said:

Thanks so much for the response.Thats what I thought also. Both of us are also vaccinated, and we are both also COVID survivors from a past January infection. No major symptoms, but not a comfortable several weeks in isolation. Good luck. 

Good luck to you as well!

We are on the Edge in about 3 weeks, so looking at our options.  CVS is offering the Antigen test which is the rapid test. Hopefully X is approving the rapid test.    My doctor's office can give me the PCR test but the negative results come back as  "Not Detected".  Do you think the employees at the pier will understand  Not Detected is the same as Negative?    TIA