Antigen tests

mgmigs

4 minutes ago, slhull54 said:

We have CVS test scheduled and it shows molecular lab test (PCR/NAAT) so I hope I'm correct in assuming we should be covered.  Any thoughts?

PCR is fine. You’re good. What are the giving you for turn around on results?

On a whim I did a search on a local drug store chain in our area (Adams Drugs) and found we can actually make a reservation to get an antigen test at the nominal charge of $125, of which we would have to pay for in advance and then we can try to get Medicare to reimburse us. Right. 😉

But at least we now have multiple options to check on in the morning. First, we're going to contact our heath care provider to see if they provide an antigen test. If not, we'll contact the Urgent Care clinic near us to see if we can get a walk in reservation where they bill our insurance carriers. Then, if both those options prove unsuccessful, we'll call Adams Drugs and make an appointment that we'll wind up paying for. But, since Celebrity has given us over $1,600 in OBC because of price drops after final payment on our 3 cruises, we can live with paying $250 to get the tests. 😎

PS: Hopefully this will be the last "mogul" we will have to dodge before we can finally start cruising again!

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 2

We are from Canada so no US insurance.  We’ll be in FLL for several days pre cruise so will have to be tested there.  I looked on the CVS website but it seems their testing is affiliated with various insurance programs.  Does anyone know if we can simply pay for the test and approx cost?   

• Like 1

On 2/17/2020 at 11:30 AM, KS&JW said:

Tonight we got this new email from Celebrity. Completely different than what our TA forwarded in the past couple of days.  In part it says...

" All NON-US RESIDENTS must present a negative NAAT or Antigen test taken with 3 days of travel.

AND

Following CDC guidelines we will sail with all crew vaccinated and at least 95% of guests will be fully vaccinated. All guests 16 years and older must be fully vaccinated with all COVID-19 vaccine doses administered at least 14 days prior to sailing. As of August 1, 2021, all guests age 12 and older must be fully vaccinated."

4 minutes ago, Josie201 said:

Does anyone know if we can simply pay for the test and approx cost?   

CVS outlines the various payment options at this link.  It says self-pay is not available for rapid-results tests “at this time,” only for send out lab tests.  I would call the CVS you might use and discuss your situation. 

https://www.cvs.com/minuteclinic/covid-19-testing

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, pno4te said:

Tonight we got this new email from Celebrity. Completely different than what our TA forwarded in the past couple of days.  In part it says...

" All NON-US RESIDENTS must present a negative NAAT or Antigen test taken with 3 days of travel.

AND

Following CDC guidelines we will sail with all crew vaccinated and at least 95% of guests will be fully vaccinated. All guests 16 years and older must be fully vaccinated with all COVID-19 vaccine doses administered at least 14 days prior to sailing. As of August 1, 2021, all guests age 12 and older must be fully vaccinated."

No one can figure out why they keep sending that email out especially since there are new guidelines out. All I can suggest is you check out the first FAQ on the below Celebrity link that was updated this weekend and go from there:

https://www.celebritycruises.com/healthy-at-sea/faqs

1 hour ago, markeb said:

The rapid result test (antigen) absolutely meets the requirement, as does the PCR. The only thing that is questionable is the IDNow, and that's Walgreens.

If that wasn't clear above, I wrote too much!

I agree with your comments.  I have a Walgreens a mile away that has two offerings, the rapid IDNow and PCR test.  No guarantee the PCR test results will be reported back in time.  The question is about the IDNow rapid test at Walgreens and whether it qualifies.  Too many questions, so I will be looking elsewhere.  I have access to a CVS for a rapid Antigen test, but it is 90 miles away.  Will also be calling my local health department.

I like your comment that we should not need to know the difference and this is as frustrating as it gets.

14 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

No one can figure out why they keep sending that email out especially since there are new guidelines out. All I can suggest is you check out the first FAQ on the below Celebrity link that was updated this weekend and go from there:

https://www.celebritycruises.com/healthy-at-sea/faqs

I will,  thank you.  We're on vacation with little internet time and was surprised by the newer email. Thanks,  again,  for the link. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Josie201 said:

We are from Canada so no US insurance.  We’ll be in FLL for several days pre cruise so will have to be tested there.  I looked on the CVS website but it seems their testing is affiliated with various insurance programs.  Does anyone know if we can simply pay for the test and approx cost?   

Don't you need to get an antigen test to enter the U.S.?

If you time it right you might be able to use the same test you use to get on your flight to use for the cruise.

There is a Canadian section of this forum and we have been chatting a lot about testing options both in Canada and Florida.

None of the CVS in our county offer the rapid antigen test. The PCR says 1 - 2 days, but with the high level of Covid in our area, I am concerned it might take longer. We have decided to use a local Urgent Care that charges $75. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, pno4te said:

AND

We have yet to get any notification for our August 27 ABC on Equinox.  Were it not for Cruise Critic we might well not have any idea what is required.

In light of this and the Edge fiasco I've emailed Celebrity Engagement asking about the notification and trying to emphasize the increased importance of customer communication in these times.

I did this with full knowledge that it won't make any difference.  Especially since the last time I had need of Celebrity Engagement it took over 3 weeks to get a response.  ☹️

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, SECdawg said:

None of the CVS in our county offer the rapid antigen test. The PCR says 1 - 2 days, but with the high level of Covid in our area, I am concerned it might take longer. We have decided to use a local Urgent Care that charges $75. 

Our CVS and Walgreen's do offer the rapid antigen and we'll schedule them for 8/25 for our 8/27 Equinox ABC.  Good to have your info as we'll be driving to Melbourne on the 26th then on to Ft L the morning of the 27th.

I'd planned to schedule backup appointment for Melbourne in case they were needed - hopefully not.  What is the turnaround for your Urgent Care?

18 minutes ago, cltnccruisers said:

Our CVS and Walgreen's do offer the rapid antigen and we'll schedule them for 8/25 for our 8/27 Equinox ABC.  Good to have your info as we'll be driving to Melbourne on the 26th then on to Ft L the morning of the 27th.

I'd planned to schedule backup appointment for Melbourne in case they were needed - hopefully not.  What is the turnaround for your Urgent Care?

They state 30 minutes to an hour at the Urgent Care. Volusia County and Indian River County both have CVS stores that perform Rapid tests. Not sure why Brevard County does not. Some Walgreens do offer the NAAT test which should be acceptable , but I do not need the stress of worrying about it. We are on 8/21 cruise and plan to have test late afternoon on 8/18. I will try to report back on how it goes.

• Like 1

I wonder if the one we can buy at Sams Club would be accepted? Seems like a lot of extra money for people to spend going to the Urgent Care place's! 100.00 to 150.00 per person is a lots of money to spend.I personally think the cruiselines should pay for people to get tested! JMO

Edited by Harrylinden
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Harrylinden said:

I wonder if the one we can buy at Sams Club would be accepted? Seems like a lot of extra money for people to spend going to the Urgent Care place's! 100.00 to 150.00 per person is a lots of money to spend.I personally think the cruiselines should pay for people to get tested! JMO

I don’t think that’s acceptable… I heard early on someone as denied boarding for having the wrong kind of test.  I don’t think they are going to be lenient on this on nor will they allow the naat (for us citizens).  It’s costing celebrity a small fortune when they have to charter a private plane and get a limo for every positive case they take off the ship (plus I think they get a cruise credit for the cruise) 

9 hours ago, K_e_short said:

Don't you need to get an antigen test to enter the U.S.?

If you time it right you might be able to use the same test you use to get on your flight to use for the cruise.

There is a Canadian section of this forum and we have been chatting a lot about testing options both in Canada and Florida.

We are spending five days pre cruise in florida so will need another one pre cruise ( ie 72 hours). I am familiar with what I can get and where in Canada to enter the US and am actively tracking the Canadian board.  I may start a query on the Florida board for local insight.  

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Harrylinden said:

I think the only "at home" type test is the ones from eMed or similar that are proctored/observed tests via video.  They do cost more, but they give you a QR code, and official test results.  Since they are monitored by a technician they are accepted of official, and these tests are what the airlines recommend to be allowed back into the US.

5 minutes ago, Josie201 said:

We are spending five days pre cruise in florida so will need another one pre cruise ( ie 72 hours). I am familiar with what I can get and where in Canada to enter the US and am actively tracking the Canadian board.  I may start a query on the Florida board for local insight.  

I hope that you are enjoying this lovely sunny day today here in Ottawa Josie!

Have you considered testing at FLL? The only potential issue is the need to provide proof of travel plans to or from FLL on any airline. The overview doesn't specify how soon before or after a flight the test can be administered, but it would be worthwhile giving them a phone call.

Overview 

The Broward County Aviation Department (BCAD) launched a COVID-19 testing site at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport (FLL) on December 9, 2020, in partnership with Nomi Health and Spirit Airlines. The testing service is open to consumers that can provide proof of travel plans to/from FLL on any airline. The Nomi Health-operated testing service is located in Terminal 3, pre-security on the lower level near baggage claim, and is accessible only from the curbside through Door 311 (follow directional signage). Regular operating hours are 7AM to 9PM daily, except when special holiday hours apply.  To schedule an appointment, visit Nomi Health's FLL weblink.  For questions about Covid-19 testing, screening results, or online appointment support, call 305-280-0441 or 833-483-1319. 

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) 

Q: When did the Nomi Health Covid-19 testing site at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport (FLL) open?
A: Wednesday, December 9, 2020

Q: What are the FLL testing site’s hours of operations?
A: 7 AM to 9 PM daily except when special holiday hours apply*

Q: What types of COVID-19 tests does Nomi Health offer? 
A: Three types of tests are offered: Rapid Antigen, Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR), and Rapid PCR  

Q: What are the prices for each test?
A: $179 for a Rapid PCR; $106 for a PCR test; and $74 for a rapid Antigen test (tax included)

Q: What forms of payment does Nomi Health accept?
A: Credit, debit cards (touch-free and e-mail receipts)

Q: Will Nomi Health file insurance claims for the customers?
A: No. We will provide passengers with information to seek reimbursement.

Q: How does Nomi Health ensure testing will only be made available to FLL travelers?
A: Passengers will need to show proof of a valid airline ticket, boarding pass, or confirmed (paid) flight itinerary.

Q: How many tests will Nomi Health be able to perform in a day?
A: Potentially several hundred tests per day based on a gradual ramp up over time.

Q: How can airline passengers make an appointment?

A: Registration for appointments will be done via a dedicated Nomi Health weblink; walk-ups may be accepted if no appointments are waiting for service. 

Q: What’s the anticipated turnaround time for each test type?
A: Rapid Antigen test results are sent approximately 30 minutes after testing. The Rapid PCR test results are available up to 45 minutes after testing while the regular PCR test results are available approximately 48 hours after testing.

Note: This testing site information is subject to change without notice. 

A side note from a someone who had COVID in January. If some on this thread are recent COVID survivors, and have a cruise coming up soon, be aware that you can test positive for up to 90 days after your symptoms abate. Maryland Board of Health, as with other states, do not require a negative PCR test to allow you out of quarantine. Generally if you're at home, 10 - 14 days with 72 hours at the end without symptoms. Ofcourse if you are hospitalized, discharge procedures are much more detailed. 

So if you do fit into this category, don't wait to test at the terminal..., get tested early. 

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/duration-isolation.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

I hope that you are enjoying this lovely sunny day today here in Ottawa Josie!

Have you considered testing at FLL? The only potential issue is the need to provide proof of travel plans to or from FLL on any airline. The overview doesn't specify how soon before or after a flight the test can be administered, but it would be worthwhile giving them a phone call.

Overview 

The Broward County Aviation Department (BCAD) launched a COVID-19 testing site at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport (FLL) on December 9, 2020, in partnership with Nomi Health and Spirit Airlines. The testing service is open to consumers that can provide proof of travel plans to/from FLL on any airline. The Nomi Health-operated testing service is located in Terminal 3, pre-security on the lower level near baggage claim, and is accessible only from the curbside through Door 311 (follow directional signage). Regular operating hours are 7AM to 9PM daily, except when special holiday hours apply.  To schedule an appointment, visit Nomi Health's FLL weblink.  For questions about Covid-19 testing, screening results, or online appointment support, call 305-280-0441 or 833-483-1319

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) 

Q: When did the Nomi Health Covid-19 testing site at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport (FLL) open?
A: Wednesday, December 9, 2020

Q: What are the FLL testing site’s hours of operations?
A: 7 AM to 9 PM daily except when special holiday hours apply*

Q: What types of COVID-19 tests does Nomi Health offer? 
A: Three types of tests are offered: Rapid Antigen, Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR), and Rapid PCR  

Q: What are the prices for each test?
A: $179 for a Rapid PCR; $106 for a PCR test; and $74 for a rapid Antigen test (tax included)

Q: What forms of payment does Nomi Health accept?
A: Credit, debit cards (touch-free and e-mail receipts)

Q: Will Nomi Health file insurance claims for the customers?
A: No. We will provide passengers with information to seek reimbursement.

Q: How does Nomi Health ensure testing will only be made available to FLL travelers?
A: Passengers will need to show proof of a valid airline ticket, boarding pass, or confirmed (paid) flight itinerary.

Q: How many tests will Nomi Health be able to perform in a day?
A: Potentially several hundred tests per day based on a gradual ramp up over time.

Q: How can airline passengers make an appointment?

A: Registration for appointments will be done via a dedicated Nomi Health weblink; walk-ups may be accepted if no appointments are waiting for service. 

Q: What’s the anticipated turnaround time for each test type?
A: Rapid Antigen test results are sent approximately 30 minutes after testing. The Rapid PCR test results are available up to 45 minutes after testing while the regular PCR test results are available approximately 48 hours after testing.

Note: This testing site information is subject to change without notice. 

Thanks Four.  I had read about this and may give them a call closer to sail date.  We won’t have an active flight ticket since we’re in town for 5 days pre cruise but maybe they’ll accept a cruise ticket instead of a flight pass.  
have a great day!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Josie201 said:

Good good.

With all these changes and stress I didn't want you out of luck.