Drink Package - New list of spirits??

I just looked, and I remember seeing either Woodford Reserve or Gentleman Jack as their "better" bourbon/whiskey. Now it's not there anymore, subbed with Buffalo Trace as what I see is their best Bourbon on the list, and I also thought I remember seeing a Reposado or Anejo Tequila.  Now there's not even one!  Patron Silver is the best they can do?  Come on Royal, you can do better than that for $58/day!!!

Btw, anyone know if they serve PBR on board???? Yeah, I'm a wine and Bourbon snob, but love my PBR's!!!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, YankeesFan4Life said:

I just looked, and I remember seeing either Woodford Reserve or Gentleman Jack as their "better" bourbon/whiskey. Now it's not there anymore, subbed with Buffalo Trace as what I see is their best Bourbon on the list, and I also thought I remember seeing a Reposado or Anejo Tequila.  Now there's not even one!  Patron Silver is the best they can do?  Come on Royal, you can do better than that for $58/day!!!

Btw, anyone know if they serve PBR on board???? Yeah, I'm a wine and Bourbon snob, but love my PBR's!!!

I’d never consider gentleman jack as a “better” whiskey.  I think woodford is a good higher tier of the low end bourbon.  Buffalo trace is only popular because of some of their allocated spirits. It’s not bad but it doesn’t do anything good.  Last I knew is that royal did have some whistle pig in a few bars and I’d drink that….even though it’s a rye.  

It will vary ship to ship and bar to bar, but I have seen some decent bottles.  Booker's, Knob Creek, Baker's, Basil Hayden's are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.  Schooner and Champagne/R Bar seem to have good selections.  This was pre-COVID times.

3 hours ago, dominicr said:

I’d never consider gentleman jack as a “better” whiskey.  I think woodford is a good higher tier of the low end bourbon.  Buffalo trace is only popular because of some of their allocated spirits. It’s not bad but it doesn’t do anything good.

I could not agree more. I like Woodford Reserve but I have not seen it on the new drink menu. Buffalo Trace is just marginal but when you start to get into the Weller products like Weller 12, Weller Special Reserve and Antique 107 you get some outstanding bourbon that we will never see on a cruise ship. Here is a couple pics from a good blog of Royal's new spirit menu.

NEW SPIRITS 1.jpeg

NEWS SPIRITS 2.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh, dear. They count Fireball as a whiskey?  Ouch.  

We were on the Norwegian Pearl many years ago and they had a Whiskey Bar with an amazing selection - haven't seen anything anywhere close to that on an RCI ship.  😞

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, flamingos said:

We were on the Norwegian Pearl many years ago and they had a Whiskey Bar with an amazing selection

I've heard about this. Bourbon and whiskey is now the new wine, the in thing to drink. Just as Royal has some expensive wines I'd love to see some high class allocated bourbons. I would pay to drink some Pappy if the price was reasonable. I know some ships stock Louie XIII for cognac, why not bourbon?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, poocher said:

Funny, I have been drinking bourbon highballs my whole life and can’t count the number of bartenders who didn’t know what that was.  Now it’s the IN drink???

Highball is a general term, and pretty old school, IMO.  Most bartenders would know what a Jim and ginger is or a bourbon and soda.  Put it in a highball/Collins glass and it is a bourbon highball.  

In terms of now being popular, I think the 'in' drink would be a nice bourbon neat, possibly on the rocks, or an Old Fashioned or something similar.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

I could not agree more. I like Woodford Reserve but I have not seen it on the new drink menu. Buffalo Trace is just marginal but when you start to get into the Weller products like Weller 12, Weller Special Reserve and Antique 107 you get some outstanding bourbon that we will never see on a cruise ship. Here is a couple pics from a good blog of Royal's new spirit menu.

NEW SPIRITS 1.jpeg

NEWS SPIRITS 2.jpeg

the weller products are ok…it’s just label hype of people thinking it’s poor mans pappy.  I would never pay over msrp for those.  There are plenty of other wheaters out there that are better than weller anyways.  Jefferson’s ocean wheated blows weller out of the water and you can find it all over 

• Like 1

Jim Beam has a new commercial in my area for a Jim Beam Highball instead of beer.

BTW Manhattans were my moms drink of choice.  As she got older, there was less and less Vermouth in them.  Finally turned into straight Lord Calvert!

Edited by poocher

1 hour ago, dominicr said:

Jefferson’s ocean wheated blows weller out of the water and you can find it all over 

Totally agree. I even found for wheated, I like Redemption Wheated Bourbon. Great stuff.

10 hours ago, YankeesFan4Life said:

The last two times I cruised in 17 and 18, the bar/pub on the promenade deck had Blantons and 4 Roses if you were looking for a bit of an upscale bourbon. I also saw some Whistlepig Rye in a few locations. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SRF said:

I would love to see some decent Scotch on board.

There are lots of good scotch, that is on board , but above drink package, Johnny Walker Blue. Did a MSc cruise that had a drink package that included that.

1 hour ago, Darkingnj said:

I vaguely remembering Royal having a cigar/whiskey lounge on a ship I cruised on many years ago before smoking was banned.

Freedom and voyager class had cigar lounge , not sure if there still there.

To each their own - Woodford is a decent “everyday” selection.

Buffalo Trace - I think has a deal with RCL - I’ve seen Blanton’s in the gift shop. It’s not horrible by any means - just the lowest end of their offerings and most common.

Weller - it’s funny…years ago that stuff was considered “low end” now suddenly it’s pushing a hundred a bottle. COVID and Bourbon “shortages” 

As to PBR - there’s an old saying comparing intercourse in a row boat and ordering a PBR in a bar that I absolutely agree with - your guaranteed nothing but water. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

I've heard about this. Bourbon and whiskey is now the new wine, the in thing to drink. Just as Royal has some expensive wines I'd love to see some high class allocated bourbons. I would pay to drink some Pappy if the price was reasonable. I know some ships stock Louie XIII for cognac, why not bourbon?

The bartender was very knowledgeable, and the one that I remember being introduced to was Caol Ila.  The most expensive one we bought (10-12 years ago) was $25; they had several that were more than that.  🙂 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, YankeesFan4Life said:

Depending on ship and bar there will be lots not on the list , we normally order a Cabernet a few dollars over package price so we have lots of charges for 2 or 3 dollars on our bill, different bars will have some higher end stuff ( love your cruise critic name , go Yankees ) that is not on any list . 

• Like 1

On 8/5/2021 at 7:19 PM, George C said:

There are lots of good scotch, that is on board , but above drink package, Johnny Walker Blue. Did a MSc cruise that had a drink package that included that.

Sorry, JW Blue is just expensive, not good.

The fact that all that everyone can say about it is that is it smooth, tells volumes.

On 8/5/2021 at 8:27 PM, flamingos said:

The bartender was very knowledgeable, and the one that I remember being introduced to was Caol Ila.  The most expensive one we bought (10-12 years ago) was $25; they had several that were more than that.  🙂 

Caol Ila is good stuff.  But, pretty much anything from Islay is yummy to me. 😄

I don't have many Caol Ilas.  I have a lot of Ardbegs and Bruchladdichs.  And some Laphraoigs.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2021 at 6:28 PM, djefferis said:

To each their own - Woodford is a decent “everyday” selection.

Buffalo Trace - I think has a deal with RCL - I’ve seen Blanton’s in the gift shop. It’s not horrible by any means - just the lowest end of their offerings and most common.

Weller - it’s funny…years ago that stuff was considered “low end” now suddenly it’s pushing a hundred a bottle. COVID and Bourbon “shortages” 

As to PBR - there’s an old saying comparing intercourse in a row boat and ordering a PBR in a bar that I absolutely agree with - your guaranteed nothing but water. 

I use woodford and whistle pig 10 for my mixed drinks.  For low end Buffalo trace products I really like eagle rare.  If I’m drinking neat I’ve really been into the Sam houston 14 and if it’s been a hard week I’ll pour a whistle pig 18.  

• Like 1