EU Most Likely to Reintroduce Entry Ban on US Next Week

I think the key sentences mentioned in the report are these :

"Recently the EU has widely criticized the US authorities for refusing to remove the travel ban on arrivals from the Schengen Area countries and Ireland, including the European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen.

Only this week, SchengenVisaInfo.com reported that von der Leyen has demanded from the US to put the ban to an end, claiming that the EU and US are in the same conditions in terms of the COVID-19 situation, and as such, it does not make any sense for the US to continue keeping the ban in place."

• Like 2

Tha main thing is that the US numbers are back up over the threshhold applied to everyone.  Unfortunately, it is really due to a few states with very high rates, but there isn't really any good way to only block travellers from those states, with the US it is kind of all or nothing.  This part of the report (which comes before what you quoted above, BTW):

"

However, the sources say that the threshold to be included in the EU’s list of epidemiologically safe third countries after the country surpassed the limit of no more than 75 new COVID-19 cases per 100,000 inhabitants over the previous 14 days.

Only within the last 24 hours, data by World Health Organization shows that the US has recorded 635,150 new COVID-19 cases."

But, yes, there is also some growing frustration with the lack of reciprocity for vaccinated travellers at least

Edited by xxHadleyxx
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, xxHadleyxx said:

Tha main thing is that the US numbers are back up over the threshhold applied to everyone.  Unfortunately, it is really due to a few states with very high rates, but there isn't really any good way to only block travellers from those states, with the US it is kind of all or nothing.  This part of the report (which comes before what you quoted above, BTW):

"

However, the sources say that the threshold to be included in the EU’s list of epidemiologically safe third countries after the country surpassed the limit of no more than 75 new COVID-19 cases per 100,000 inhabitants over the previous 14 days.

Only within the last 24 hours, data by World Health Organization shows that the US has recorded 635,150 new COVID-19 cases."

But, yes, there is also some growing frustration with the lack of reciprocity for vaccinated travellers at least

I actually think the U.S is planning to annex the visa waiver program or remove countries from it at least. I think  they are using the travel ban as a way of seeing if it causes trouble for Americans living in Europe from people not being able to travel to America. 

2 hours ago, ace2542 said:

I think  they are using the travel ban as a way of seeing if it causes trouble for Americans living in Europe from people not being able to travel to America. 

Americans living in Europe can travel to the US and back again.

steamboats

• Like 3

I actually think the U.S is planning to annex the visa waiver program or remove countries from it at least. I think  they are using the travel ban as a way of seeing if it causes trouble for Americans living in Europe from people not being able to travel to America. 

Im sorry, I'm not understanding.   I am an American living in Europe.  As such, I am allowed to travel to the USA (did so twice this summer).  

Are you saying the US is using the travel ban to test out banning travel without a more difficult to obtain visa, instead of just ESTA (outside of Covid, just in general) from certain countries going forward and are seeing if this would somehow adversely affect Americans with residency in Europe?   If so, I've heard nothing of the sort and would be curious as to where you are hearing about this.  

If I'm not understanding please do clarify.  Thanks

• Like 1

4 hours ago, xxHadleyxx said:

Im sorry, I'm not understanding.   I am an American living in Europe.  As such, I am allowed to travel to the USA (did so twice this summer).  

Are you saying the US is using the travel ban to test out banning travel without a more difficult to obtain visa, instead of just ESTA (outside of Covid, just in general) from certain countries going forward and are seeing if this would somehow adversely affect Americans with residency in Europe?   If so, I've heard nothing of the sort and would be curious as to where you are hearing about this.  

If I'm not understanding please do clarify.  Thanks

Do you think Americans living in Germany would face a black lash if Germany where removed off the visa waiver program for some reason? A situation which might make it very hard for younger germans to visit the USA. Do you think that removal would affect relations between Germany and U.S? It would for the UK and Ireland in a very bad way. The so called special relationship would be over if that happened to the UK I think.

Edited by ace2542

1 minute ago, ChC said:

I just don't see it happening. Many Americans already booked their ticket for August. The flights from US to EU is full in coming two to three weeks (one way from US of course). Athens in particular is enjoying very health load from US even before the restrictions being lifted. Several countries will defy an EU ban if it ever was on the table.

Irrelevant. They cancelled last year and there were an even bigger number of people with flights booked. That's is not part of the reasoning at all here. They are weighing risk vs rewards here. 

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Do you think Americans living in Germany would face a black lash if Germany where removed off the visa waiver program for some reason? A situation which might make it very hard for younger germans to visit the USA. Do you think that removal would affect relations between Germany and U.S?

Americans living in Germany are not affected. As US nationals they can fly to the US. Living in Germany with a permant residence card they of course can fly back to Germany. They don´t need the visa waiver program as Americans. Removing Germany from the list of the visa waiver program would affect every German who wants to travel to the US (not just younger ones). Without the visa waiver program all EU nationals would need a visa (we´re not talking just about Germany but about EU). It might affect the relations between the EU and the US if EU would be removed from the visa waiver program.

steamboats

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ChC said:

I just don't see it happening. Many Americans already booked their ticket for August. The flights from US to EU is full in coming two to three weeks (one way from US of course). Athens in particular is enjoying very health load from US even before the restrictions being lifted. Several countries will defy an EU ban if it ever was on the table.

It´s a decision of each EU country. I agree that Greece might not ban the US. But other countries like France, Germany, Spain or Italy might. River cruising in Germany with US companies has just started (Viking, AmaWaterways, Uniworld...). But that´s just a handful of people. Here in Germany our economics don´t rely just on tourism. Same for France. And Italy won´t be back to those days when they didn´t have enought coffins to bury the people. Italy has still lower numbers and they don´t want them to explode once more.

steamboats

25 minutes ago, steamboats said:

Removing Germany from the list of the visa waiver program would affect every German who wants to travel to the US (not just younger ones). Without the visa waiver program all EU nationals would need a visa (we´re not talking just about Germany but about EU). It might affect the relations between the EU and the US if EU would be removed from the visa waiver program

The older germans would probably get their visas assuming they don't have criminal records without too much of a problem. For the younger one however the possibility of them staying illegally and by extension working illegally MIGHT make it harder. And if you are denied a visa you are unlikely to get it until something in your life changes significantly and repeated visa applications after being denied make you look desperate. And yes it probably would damage relations how badly is anyone guess. For example you might decide to ask America to leave Ramstein and cease intel sharing between the BND and CIA and not allow U.S military enter German airspace. Though all of that would frankly be pathetic.

And fwiw 4 of the EU  countries ARE NOT on the visa waiver program for whatever reason.

Edited by ace2542

Do you think Americans living in Germany would face a black lash if Germany where removed off the visa waiver program for some reason? A situation which might make it very hard for younger germans to visit the USA. Do you think that removal would affect relations between Germany and U.S? It would for the UK and Ireland in a very bad way. The so called special relationship would be over if that happened to the UK I think.

I feel like you are a bit confused about these visas.  The visa waiver program is for short term tourist or bussiness trip type stays...it's not really at all the same thing as a residency permit for work or long term schooling.  

I don't see any of the nations i have experience with (myself or my extended family) taking away long term or permanent residency statues (or green cards as they are called stateside) from people if that person'S nation of birth made it more difficult for tourists to go there.  

The only way in which it would affect people, that I see, is visiting family members in one's birth nation or having htem visit us would be harder...but still prettty do-able IME, getting tourist visas for coutnries not in the program is not THAT difficult for most places, especially if you have family to visit and income and stable jobs where you do live.  

All of this is pretty moot anyway, given that there is no indication that stopping the visa waiver programs long term is being planned.

1 hour ago, ace2542 said:

The older germans would probably get their visas assuming they don't have criminal records without too much of a problem. For the younger one however the possibility of them staying illegally and by extension working illegally MIGHT make it harder. And if you are denied a visa you are unlikely to get it until something in your life changes significantly and repeated visa applications after being denied make you look desperate. And yes it probably would damage relations how badly is anyone guess. For example you might decide to ask America to leave Ramstein and cease intel sharing between the BND and CIA and not allow U.S military enter German airspace. Though all of that would frankly be pathetic.

And fwiw 4 of the EU  countries ARE NOT on the visa waiver program for whatever reason.

I think this is an extemely far fetched scenario

Edited by xxHadleyxx
  • Like 1

How ridiculous the US policy is: I am Dutch-American and my Dutch family can’t fly in directly. So we are staying 1 week in Nassau, cruise on AOS for 1 week and stay one extra day. THEN he can enter the US. Because our Bahamas itinerary is so much “safer”! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, exm said:

How ridiculous the US policy is: I am Dutch-American and my Dutch family can’t fly in directly. So we are staying 1 week in Nassau, cruise on AOS for 1 week and stay one extra day. THEN he can enter the US. Because our Bahamas itinerary is so much “safer”! 

That's nuts! I wonder when common sense is going make a reappearance. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of it around at the moment. Well done for finding a way to reunite your family.  I hope you all have a wonderful time together.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FionaMG said:

That's nuts! I wonder when common sense is going make a reappearance. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of it around at the moment. Well done for finding a way to reunite your family.  I hope you all have a wonderful time together.

If you exercise common sense, you lose control and mandates.

IMO the Schengen ban is strictly in response to the Schengen states banning US travelers in the beginning and relenting.

It did not apply to non-Schengen EU countries.

My girl friend is Bulgarian.  She could come her, as long as she flew a connection not in a Schengen country.  As even if you just connected in a Schengen country, you could not enter the US.

• Like 1

@ace...

The Visa Waiver Program has absolutely nothing to do with the Covid travel restrictions. Here it is all about reciprocity of freedom to travel.

And - we do not know how Brussels decides this week so wait and see before connecting this issue to other programs.

I will post a lengthy press release from nationwide newspaper DIE WELT for you to better understand the issue. Excuse me for any mistakes from the computer generated translation. So here it is what people allover Europe think:

Press Commentery from DIE WELT , 3.8.21

*** Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version) ***

quote:"

This is what humiliation among friends looks like

Europe is open to American vacationers, partly because southern European tourist destinations have put pressure on them. That's why even unvaccinated U.S. citizens and anti-vaccinationists are coming to the EU.

All over Europe, they're on the move right now. On Greek beaches, in bistros in Paris and at the Brandenburg Gate: American tourists spending their travel dollars saved up over many lockdown months in Europe. So hungry are U.S. citizens who have not been able to travel abroad for more than a year that the American authorities can no longer even keep up with issuing passports. And a longing destination for many American vacationers remains Europe: culture, beaches,

American visitors are treated to their vacations in Europe. The hotels, restaurants, museums and car rental companies, which have suffered particularly under the Corona measures, are happy about every customer. And many Americans, who often only take a few weeks of vacation abroad

While U.S. citizens are enjoying their rediscovered freedom to travel in Europe, Europeans are being denied access to the United States. From a tourist point of view, this may be bearable; after all, Europe is large and diverse enough as a travel continent, and many Europeans who want to play it safe in Corona times are discovering their home country or even their home region as a travel destination anyway. For many Europeans, however, the travel ban remains painful; for example, for all those who want to visit family, friends or

And for German and European companies, the U.S. entry ban has become a major burden. Many companies fear for business relationships, customers and sales - or have already lost them. Even their U.S. subsidiaries, which directly employ almost a million people in the U.S., can no longer be taken care of by German companies as before.

Business associations warn that the U.S. subsidiaries of German companies are incurring losses in the double-digit billions as a result of the Atlantic blockade. The few exceptions granted by U.S. authorities to allow European business travelers to enter the country "in the national interest of the U.S." are not nearly enough to operate normally.

The myth of the dangerous vacation returnees

So urgent is the situation that German Chancellor Angela Merkel made travel between Europe and the U.S. a top priority in mid-July during her inaugural and farewell visit with U.S. President Joe Biden. After the conversation with Merkel, Biden said he would soon comment on the issue.

Hopes in Europe were high - until the White House announced last week that it would stick with the travel ban for Europeans. The infection situation does not permit an opening. This is what humiliation among friends looks like.

In Berlin, Brussels and other European capitals, the anger is great. After all, Europe had already reopened its borders to U.S. citizens in June. Before that, Ursula von der Leyen, the president of the European Commission, had publicly invited U.S. citizens to spend their summer vacation in the EU in an interview with the "New York Times."

Vaccinated preferred - but what about the involuntarily unvaccinated?

The EU's current recommendation to its member states is to allow U.S. citizens into the country if they have a negative Corona test. Member states can ignore this recommendation, comply with it, or impose additional measures such as quarantine on travelers from the United States. However, they generally do not. Europe is open to U.S. citizens.

EU faster than U.S. in vaccinating

That's why even unvaccinated U.S. citizens and vaccination opponents are coming to Europe at the moment. But fully vaccinated Europeans are not allowed to travel to the US. This is despite the fact that the EU overtook the Americans in the vaccination pace last week.

In the EU, nearly 60 percent of citizens have now received a first covid vaccination; in the U.S., where the vaccination campaign began rapidly but has since become sluggish because of resistance among the population, the figure is a few percentage points lower.

Increasingly, chairs at vaccination centers in the U.S. remain empty. Just over half a million Corona vaccinations are now administered per day

COVID IN THE USA

The end of the American vaccination dream

The fact that U.S. citizens can travel to Europe but Europeans can't to the U.S. is also incomprehensible when you look at the infection numbers: The U.S. is currently in the next wave of infection, for which the delta variant is primarily responsible.

The incidence is currently just under 170 cases per 100,000 inhabitants. In particularly affected regions such as Florida, it is much higher. In Germany, it is currently just one tenth of that. Fear of Delta can therefore no longer be an excuse for not allowing Europeans to visit the USA - the highly contagious variant has long since arrived there.

The EU could do otherwise. The list of countries from which travelers can only enter with a negative PCR test includes, for example, China as well as the USA. However, with one addition: the freedom of travel for Chinese citizens only applies in Europe when China, conversely, also allows EU citizens to enter the country again.

DELTA IN THE USA

President Biden implores his people - "If you are unvaccinated, you are a problem"

The EU could insist on reciprocity with the US as well. However: many EU countries cannot and will not afford it. Greece, Croatia and other countries around the Mediterranean whose economies depend heavily on tourists need the business of American tourists.

Schengen area open to U.S. visitors

The countries concerned had first urged the EU Commission and other member states to open the continent to tourists from other regions of the world - and then put them under pressure to move. Only after Croatia and Greece declared that they would allow U.S. tourists into the country this summer did the EU follow suit and declare the entire Schengen area open to U.S. visitors. Taking back that decision now to put pressure on the U.S. would be difficult for Brussels. It would hurt the vacationing countries involved, create a patchwork of entry rules - and probably do little good.

CORONA SUMMER

Risk area or not? What you need to know on vacation

The U.S. is less reliant on open borders than European economies. Even China has not responded to the demand for reciprocity to date, leaving its borders closed to EU citizens with few exceptions - not to mention strict quarantine rules.

However, the path to Europe could still be blocked for US tourists in the future. This is because the list of countries from which people can travel largely freely into the Schengen area is regularly reconsidered in Brussels.

If the number of infections in the U.S. increases sharply or new variants emerge there, the country could very quickly slip off the list. Many Europeans would see this with satisfaction, but unfortunately it would not help anyone".

end of quote

1 hour ago, Kbonner said:

The Visa Waiver Program has absolutely nothing to do with the Covid travel restrictions. Here it is all about reciprocity of freedom to travel

But reciprocity of travel is a condition of the visa waiver program isn't it?

15 hours ago, barbeyg said:

Thanks! I also keep telling them to book thru the US site to qualify, or thru a US TA. 🙂

As of May 6th, 2020 we have also added the new "Best Price Guarantee" option outlined below.

Best Price Guarantee -Spot a better price on your booked cruise? Our Best Price Guarantee lets you take advantage of a better price up to 48 hours before your sail date — just give us a call. You’ll receive the difference as a non-refundable onboard credit inside final payment or rate adjustment outside final payment