Jeans in Dining Room for Dinner?

jdlg4silb

10 hours ago, Breckski said:

What should I wear to the pool then?  

Ladies: bathing suit & a coverup (lots of sarongs on our last cruise)

Gentlemen: bathing suit & tshirt

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

No!!

The "Rig of the Day" clearly states "No Jeans" after 18:00, except in the World Cafe. It doesn't specify any colour. If pax wish to wear jeans perhaps they should look for an alternative cruise line, until Viking change their policy.

2 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

Had a big fat guy with long bushy beard wear bib overalls most days on the last World Cruise. If you can think it, it’s probably been worn.😱

Gday Jim, Gday Andy

I’ve been out of action for a while but I’m glad to see you are both still in fine form.

Those parole board hearings are a nightmare - but I’m out now and ready to rumble.

Not true .. we’ve been river cruising (with Scenic) so I’ve spent the last 12 months on the river cruise board - but we just booked South America with Viking for Feb 2026 so I’ll be lurking here again until then.

I’m currently in the Emirates Lounge in Zurich so I’ll grab a glass of champagne and drink a toast to you both (and my other ‘friends’ who have helped me out over the years).

Cheers from me - LM 🥂

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Redtravel said:

Sadly I see guests wearing bathrobes on every cruise. It looks ridiculous.  Maybe some cruisers need to be reminded that wearing a bathrobe is only acceptable in the cabin. Cruise lines might attach a label that says “ to be used only in your cabin.” 

I would beg to differ here ... we routinely wear the robes when we are heading to the spa ... either to enjoy the thermal suite or have a service scheduled.  We have often found that all of the lockers are full, making changing difficult.  We take the elevators in the front of the ship and they open right in front of the spa.  Have never ventured into "public places" in a robe but believe it is perfectly acceptable to and from the spa.  

• Like 6

15 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Here we go again after a year!   I better go out and get more popcorn!

The never ending topic - like politics you'll find strong opinionated people at both extremes.

I'm guessing this keeps coming up as the "enforcement" of said policy is not consistent.  We hear/read about guests being asked to change out of their jeans before being admitted to the restaurant or one of the alternative dining venues but have (in 10+ VO cruises) never seen it happen and on every cruise individuals in jeans are seated without question.  I don't care what anyone wears to dinner but do adhere to the dress code.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, molymoo said:

I would beg to differ here ... we routinely wear the robes when we are heading to the spa ... either to enjoy the thermal suite or have a service scheduled.  We have often found that all of the lockers are full, making changing difficult.  We take the elevators in the front of the ship and they open right in front of the spa.  Have never ventured into "public places" in a robe but believe it is perfectly acceptable to and from the spa.  

Proper robe wearing tip.

Image.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, Redtravel said:

Sadly I see guests wearing bathrobes on every cruise. It looks ridiculous.  Maybe some cruisers need to be reminded that wearing a bathrobe is only acceptable in the cabin. Cruise lines might attach a label that says “ to be used only in your cabin.” 

Viking has become the Carnival Cruise Line for senior citizens.  Clothing choices by some passengers are horrible.  I've seen people better dressed at Walmart than on some of the Viking ocean and river cruises.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, hutch1994 said:

Viking has become the Carnival Cruise Line for senior citizens.  Clothing choices by some passengers are horrible.  I've seen people better dressed at Walmart than on some of the Viking ocean and river cruises.

We have a lot of ships to fill…

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Ladies: bathing suit & a coverup (lots of sarongs on our last cruise)

Gentlemen: bathing suit & tshirt

Also, no need to wear a robe to the spa. They are provided in the locker rooms.

2 hours ago, hutch1994 said:

That is exactly how I feel.  I've said on the forum before that a lot of passengers dress similarly to landscapers - old, outdated khakis and collared shirts.  

One person on this thread suggested polo shirts as the minimum level of dress (no t-shirts).  But several/many on Viking crises wear very crappy polos - old, worn-out and sometimes with graphics from 20-year-old sports teams.  

I honestly don't care what others wear to dinner and am going to dress the way I want regardless of what others wear as long as I abide by the rules.  My irritation is essentially two-fold:  1) don't have rules if not enforced, and 2) If you are going to have a dress code have one that fits the current fashion trends - problem is this one would be even harder to enforce and likely alienate a large enough portion of Viking guests to impact the bottom line.

We're always one of the youngest couples on a Viking cruise, and dress is what we find to be the biggest difference between us and other passengers.  I say that as a good thing as dress of others is pretty low on our priorities for enjoying our vacation.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Breckski said:

What should I wear to the pool then?  

At a public pool, wear a bathing suit and coverup. If you have your own pool, wear whatever you want.  I wear coverups that look like a shift.  Sometimes I wear a long tee and shorts.  I never wear a bathrobe when I leave my house. Bathrobes belong at home. On a cruise, wear them in your cabin.  I don’t want to see them.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, molymoo said:

If you walk out of your cabin into a hallway, you are in a public space.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

Had a big fat guy with long bushy beard wear bib overalls most days on the last World Cruise. 😱

And that guy was on our Amazon cruise with a toque that didn't match.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, molymoo said:

Have never ventured into "public places" in a robe but believe it is perfectly acceptable to and from the spa.  

Robes are available in the spa locker rooms. No need to use your stateroom robe.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Little Monty said:

Gday Jim, Gday Andy

I’ve been out of action for a while but I’m glad to see you are both still in fine form.

Those parole board hearings are a nightmare - but I’m out now and ready to rumble.

Not true .. we’ve been river cruising (with Scenic) so I’ve spent the last 12 months on the river cruise board - but we just booked South America with Viking for Feb 2026 so I’ll be lurking here again until then.

I’m currently in the Emirates Lounge in Zurich so I’ll grab a glass of champagne and drink a toast to you both (and my other ‘friends’ who have helped me out over the years).

Cheers from me - LM 🥂

Cheers LM. Glad to hear from you.🍺🥃🍷😎

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Breckski said:

I honestly don't care what others wear to dinner and am going to dress the way I want regardless of what others wear as long as I abide by the rules.  My irritation is essentially two-fold:  1) don't have rules if not enforced, and 2) If you are going to have a dress code have one that fits the current fashion trends - problem is this one would be even harder to enforce and likely alienate a large enough portion of Viking guests to impact the bottom line.

It’s unfortunate Viking’s “No children under 18” policy doesn’t eliminate adolescent and petulant behaviors by guests. But rules, whether enforced or not, have their limitations. For one thing, they don’t account for lack of fashion style (e.g., crappy polos). I’ve seen guests on board and in photos who conformed to the Viking dress code, but definitely lacked style, be it timeless and enduring or current fashion trends. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, molymoo said:

I'm guessing this keeps coming up as the "enforcement" of said policy is not consistent.  We hear/read about guests being asked to change out of their jeans before being admitted to the restaurant or one of the alternative dining venues but have (in 10+ VO cruises) never seen it happen and on every cruise individuals in jeans are seated without question.  I don't care what anyone wears to dinner but do adhere to the dress code.

We saw it a week ago on the BIE cruise; the hostess politely murmured in the ear of the man in front of us, who was wearing jeans; he hustled off to change his pants, blaming his wife. Classy.

But I applaud the Viking employee, who sent the guy away without shaming him in front of other guests.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Hanoj said:

For one thing, they don’t account for lack of fashion style (e.g., crappy polos). 

I'm curious; what constitutes a "crappy polo?"

1 hour ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

We've never sailed with Viking.  Is this a buffet or sandwich shop?

The World Cafe is a buffet and more casual; while it's generally acceptable to wear shorts or t-shirts there, it's not okay to come walking through in a speedo. 

On our river cruise last fall, there was a guy who wore what appeared to be the same shorts for 2 weeks, at breakfast, at dinner. Yuck.

• Haha 1