Jeans in Dining Room for Dinner?

jdlg4silb

Viking has had same posted dress code for many years. Before pandemic, people often dressed up for dinner. It’s 2024. Perhaps it’s time to revisit acceptable dress on Viking. People wear jeans. In addition to jeans, I brought non denim pants. I saw several jeans in the restaurant at dinner.  

• Like 1

When my kids were young they used to watch a show called "Lamb Chops Play-a-Long" by puppeteer Shari Lewis.  Their favorite song was "The Song that Never Ends"---it just keeps repeating itself ad infinitum, driving parents crazy!

This thread could be retitled "The Thread That Never Ends".....

IIRC, I jokingly renamed it the Zombie Blue JEans Dress Code Thread, as it refused to die, a few pages ago.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, sharkster77 said:

When my kids were young they used to watch a show called "Lamb Chops Play-a-Long" by puppeteer Shari Lewis.  Their favorite song was "The Song that Never Ends"---it just keeps repeating itself ad infinitum, driving parents crazy!

This thread could be retitled "The Thread That Never Ends".....

IIRC, I jokingly renamed it the Zombie Blue JEans Dress Code Thread, as it refused to die, a few pages ago.

Lock it up, lock it up, lock it up!! 😎

• Like 3

14 hours ago, ericosmith said:

Why is it that jeans always end up with the longest threads (other than perhaps tipping)?

The longest tipping thread was in one of the general categories, and got to over a hundred pages. 

The last two pages were about horrible airports

• Haha 3

Honestly, does it matter ? If you are tired of the subject, don’t read it. I get a laugh sometimes and other times interesting comments, so I don’t mind reading more of the same. I’ve never been on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc. So I guess I spend my social media time here. 🥳

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I have strong feelings about this subject - not jeans, but dress code in general.

We don't sail on ships - traditionally - that have formal nights.  If we did, I guarantee you that we will be in the buffet on those nights in our normal evening "elegant casual" dress. I am just not going to pack a suit, dinner jacket, or ties for a cruise.

We do like to shower and dress for dinner.  It is more of an event for us and just feels good.

I was also raised in a family that we put on a suit to go to the theatre - symphony, ballet, opera, or stage production.  We dressed when we went out to eat.  We were not allowed to wear shorts to a restaurant or heaven forbid a hat or baseball cap.  Some of how I feel is upbringing.  But, we all have different upbringing backgrounds.

But, I start to think as I continue to read this thread, and ask myself, how does this impact my personal enjoyment?  It does not.  I do what I want to do. which is clean up and dress up. Does what someone else wears impact how my food tastes?  No.  Why do we let this bother us?

• Like 7

3 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

I have strong feelings about this subject - not jeans, but dress code in general.

We don't sail on ships - traditionally - that have formal nights.  If we did, I guarantee you that we will be in the buffet on those nights in our normal evening "elegant casual" dress. I am just not going to pack a suit, dinner jacket, or ties for a cruise.

We do like to shower and dress for dinner.  It is more of an event for us and just feels good.

I was also raised in a family that we put on a suit to go to the theatre - symphony, ballet, opera, or stage production.  We dressed when we went out to eat.  We were not allowed to wear shorts to a restaurant or heaven forbid a hat or baseball cap.  Some of how I feel is upbringing.  But, we all have different upbringing backgrounds.

But, I start to think as I continue to read this thread, and ask myself, how does this impact my personal enjoyment?  It does not.  I do what I want to do. which is clean up and dress up. Does what someone else wears impact how my food tastes?  No.  Why do we let this bother us?

It doesn’t impact how your food tastes, it impacts the ambiance of the venue, which is important to most restaurants (except the food trough buffet chains).

• Like 4

I think whatever people want to wear is fine UNLESS it’s grody and messy. And honestly I think that is what most people find offensive. When we are in the Restaurant, and we always dress more nicely when eating there, to see someone come in with smelly shoes they’ve worn endlessly (as an example) or grubby jeans, khakis etc is unpleasant. It does impact your dining experience. If you want to eat right after an active day, and don’t feel like cleaning up a bit, go to the World Cafe. IMHO.

• Like 3

But who gets to decide what is "grody and messy"?  One man's grody is another man's comfy.  So back to square one.  I am with you as I was also brought up to be respectful and dress nicely where appropriate. 

• Like 5

Yeah I guess this debate will go on. Which is fine by me. Everyone has an opinion and I love to hear them.  And yes, it is entertaining to hear of the sartorial splendor or lack thereof that people have observed. 

• Like 1

On 8/15/2024 at 8:29 AM, Jim Avery said:

I have said it before and I will repeat myself.  When I was a kid I had to pay a Quarter and go in a tent to see the freak show......

Thats about it. They should just go naked. It would be cheaper, more comfortable and show more individualism. Naked and a baseball cap worn backwards. But then they couldn't go more casual, could they? But hey,they  have a right to be comfortable .They don't need to wear shoes without socks. Just go barefoot. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

Thats about it. They should just go naked. It would be cheaper, more comfortable and show more individualism. Naked and a baseball cap worn backwards. But then they couldn't go more casual, could they? But hey,they  have a right to be comfortable .They don't need to wear shoes without socks. Just go barefoot. 

Ask and ye shall receive! Have fun, I’ll stick with Viking. 

IMG_8462.jpeg

IMG_8461.jpeg

• Haha 4

On 8/14/2024 at 9:03 AM, CILCIANRQTS said:

It doesn’t impact how your food tastes, it impacts the ambiance of the venue, which is important to most restaurants (except the food trough buffet chains).

On 8/14/2024 at 5:59 AM, CDNPolar said:

=== deleted info ===

I was in the "why do we let this bother us" club until our last cruise.  I have no problem with designer jeans or clean pressed jeans, with a nice top for women or shirt for men. Take the time to clean up from your excursion and look nice and go eat. But I  do not expect dirty jeans (that barely stay up) with a t-shirt that has seen better days possibly with a weird slogan or image on it) in any of the restaurants. Yet, that is what I saw several nights in all 3 restaurants on our Iceland cruise.  Initially I thought, lost luggage.  Nope, spouses were dressed nicely each time we saw them.  I asked the head waiter about the dress code & why not tactfully dealing with situations like this, mentioning that on the Aussie/NZ cruise the dining staff would tactfully pull the persons aside and mention the dress requirement for the restaurants. He just shrugged his shoulders. There were a lot of first time Viking cruisers and a few groups on this cruise (Iceland) but still, how much effort/time does it take to put on clean pants and a shirt or golf shirt??  While on a tour with an Oceana cruiser trying out Viking, she said they loved the ship but wouldn't travel with Viking again as the dining was not up to par and the guests too casual, not the casual elegance they were led to believe. The last night we dined with a Welsh couple in the Chef's Table,  and they felt something was "off" with this cruise, not the usual Viking vibe -- they had done 13 cruises to our 5 so had lots to compare -- but we did agree with the "something's off" comment. Maybe it was the itinerary where everyday you were off exploring often in cold winds and rain. Just glad we never were seated next to one particular gentleman -- those jeans, ugh.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 2cruisecats said:

I was in the "why do we let this bother us" club until our last cruise.  I have no problem with designer jeans or clean pressed jeans, with a nice top for women or shirt for men. Take the time to clean up from your excursion and look nice and go eat. But I  do not expect dirty jeans (that barely stay up) with a t-shirt that has seen better days possibly with a weird slogan or image on it) in any of the restaurants. Yet, that is what I saw several nights in all 3 restaurants on our Iceland cruise.  Initially I thought, lost luggage.  Nope, spouses were dressed nicely each time we saw them.  I asked the head waiter about the dress code & why not tactfully dealing with situations like this, mentioning that on the Aussie/NZ cruise the dining staff would tactfully pull the persons aside and mention the dress requirement for the restaurants. He just shrugged his shoulders. There were a lot of first time Viking cruisers and a few groups on this cruise (Iceland) but still, how much effort/time does it take to put on clean pants and a shirt or golf shirt??  While on a tour with an Oceana cruiser trying out Viking, she said they loved the ship but wouldn't travel with Viking again as the dining was not up to par and the guests too casual, not the casual elegance they were led to believe. The last night we dined with a Welsh couple in the Chef's Table,  and they felt something was "off" with this cruise, not the usual Viking vibe -- they had done 13 cruises to our 5 so had lots to compare -- but we did agree with the "something's off" comment. Maybe it was the itinerary where everyday you were off exploring often in cold winds and rain. Just glad we never were seated next to one particular gentleman -- those jeans, ugh.

I hear you on this.

What I hope EVERYONE is doing is emailing tellus@vikingcruises.com with their feedback about dress code.  

We cannot have any impact talking about it here, we need to also email Viking.

We know that Viking read CC, but often these threads go off topic or rehash the obvious.

It needs to hit their customer service division hard for them to do something about it, or it is just us bending an ear on CC.

Everyone email tellus@vikingcruises.com to show concern with dress code and that ship crew do not enforce it.

• Like 3

On Mars now.  Jeans are being worn everywhere.  I have seen many people wearing them at dinner in the restaurant. Restaurant is not turning anyone away.  Most people are dressing neatly.  There are a few exceptions.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1