Denali Land and Sea questions

GrandmaOhio

Does HAL have their own hotel in Denali? Also, our HAL package includes a “Tundra Wilderness Tour” from 6:00AM-3:00PM included. Anyone know what this tour consists of?  Details/opinions from folks who have done this would be most appreciated!  😊 

• Like 1

Yes, there is a HAL resort there...very nice.  There is a "strip mall" across the street with restaurants, etc.  The Tundra Wilderness Tour is an all day bus ride through the park.  We bought a box lunch to eat, there were several stops for wildlife viewing and "rest" stops, etc.  The busses are not luxurious, but it was an excellent tour.  We saw moose twins at the park entrance, and at the end, we walked to the area where the Park dog kennels were.  Saw a demo there!  Lots of fun!

P1060456.jpg

P1060458.jpg

P1060473.jpg

P1060482.jpg

P1060489.jpg

P1060534.jpg

P1060548.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We loved our Land and Sea 12-day a couple years ago -- and would do it again in a heartbeat.  I do recommend doing the land part first so you can have a leisurely cruise afterwards.  

Here are a few photos to add to those already posted. 🙂  

We were fortunate to have clear skies to see Denali

Denali.jpg.7fe857340cdcf755a6199bdc8f12c19d.jpg

Our cabin was on the lower floor

1412189606_ourcabin.jpg.4f193ef03ab7cc97468e0fbb1535193b.jpg

Loved having drinks around the fire pit at McKinley Chalet Resort

691348655_McKinleyChaletResort.jpg.0a897d31e66acedef78aff29c8fe00af.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

McKinley Chalet Resort is HAL's complex in Denali. It is situated on the Nenana River with a nice river walk and Denali Square is at it's center. Our Tundra tour was a bit damp, as it rained most of the time, but Denali Park is beautiful in any weather!

A.thumb.JPG.a1f3afe5c7b42faa393d8a613d2bda16.JPG

B.thumb.jpg.ca7f8b9aed10147bdad954696ae04858.jpg

C.thumb.JPG.1e19941c38e23ede72d0677da7a3fb97.JPG

D.thumb.jpg.92e7308223efbb6c4ebd5a929cd0a071.jpg

We also enjoyed the McKinley Explorer to Anchorage. It was a very pleasant ride and the views we had of Denali from the train made up for what we didn't see from the park.

E.thumb.JPG.86560e5c04ec063bb5bc64b604126fbf.JPG

F.thumb.JPG.b57d39ae2e0f0476320c23dec7060922.JPG

We hope you enjoy your visit as much as we did!

Lori & George

• Like 3

Unlike the previous poster, I prefer the cruise first.  Note that you are limited to one piece of luggage while on the land tour with a small carry-on (roller bags are not allowed on the train or buses without prior approval.  You will not see all of your luggage until you are starting the cruise (land first) or final hotel (cruise first).  Skip the meal plan as its not worth the large cost.

Here is a link with menus, maps, and photos to help in your planning:

https://rogerjett-photography.com/place/alaska-2/denali/

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/brown-bears/P6100504.jpg

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/brown-bears/P6100480.jpg

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/wolves/P6126946-2-Edit.jpg

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/caribou/P6100509.jpg

P6100493

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Lucky you to do a land and sea tour!

You will be fine whether your cruise comes first or last. I will echo what someone else said, skip the meal package on land if they offer it. It’s expensive and limits you to eating at the hotel restaurants. (If you still think you want it, just buy one. It’s a lot of food and you can split it and supplement by buying an extra soup or salad. Tip from a TA).  

The Wilderness Tour is a must do, no matter the weather. It is long, the bus seats are not the most comfortable, but it’s still a thrill.

There are varying accommodations at the McKinley Chalet. We’ve stayed in the cabins closer to the river several times. On our last visit we were in the newer hotel building closer to Denali Square, I will post a picture. There is a shuttle to get you around the property. There are restaurants onsite, but you can shuttle to the front entrance, walk across the highway and find some cheaper options (used to be a Subway as well as a convenience store).

Glad to answer any other questions you have. My most recent visit was September 2018. Have visited 3 other times (and stopped in on our RV trip to Denali). 

St Louis Sal

668C118B-5434-4200-8BD6-D666856536E6.jpeg

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, St. Louis Sal said:

Lucky you to do a land and sea tour!

You will be fine whether your cruise comes first or last. I will echo what someone else said, skip the meal package on land if they offer it. It’s expensive and limits you to eating at the hotel restaurants. (If you still think you want it, just buy one. It’s a lot of food and you can split it and supplement by buying an extra soup or salad. Tip from a TA).  

The Wilderness Tour is a must do, no matter the weather. It is long, the bus seats are not the most comfortable, but it’s still a thrill.

There are varying accommodations at the McKinley Chalet. We’ve stayed in the cabins closer to the river several times. On our last visit we were in the newer hotel building closer to Denali Square, I will post a picture. There is a shuttle to get you around the property. There are restaurants onsite, but you can shuttle to the front entrance, walk across the highway and find some cheaper options (used to be a Subway as well as a convenience store).

Glad to answer any other questions you have. My most recent visit was September 2018. Have visited 3 other times (and stopped in on our RV trip to Denali). 

St Louis Sal

668C118B-5434-4200-8BD6-D666856536E6.jpeg

We are doing the Y1 triple Denali. In Dawson it is stated that there is an upgrade possible for a Klondike Spirit cruise, but nowhere it is found how to get this upgrade and what te price is?

Thank you all so much for the info and the spectacular photos.  We aren’t going until June, 2022, but I love to plan and ponder the possibilities.  I was trying to decide of the wilderness tour would be exhausting, based on the length, or if we’d have enough energy to also do an excursion in the evening.  We’re thinking of the self driven Jeep tour. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, GrandmaOhio said:

Thank you all so much for the info and the spectacular photos.  We aren’t going until June, 2022, but I love to plan and ponder the possibilities.  I was trying to decide of the wilderness tour would be exhausting, based on the length, or if we’d have enough energy to also do an excursion in the evening.  We’re thinking of the self driven Jeep tour. 

Suppose that depends on what you're up for. As we recall there were 6 or 7 chances to get on and off of the bus at rest stops. So getting up early and getting up to the lodge, with 8 to 9 hours on an old school bus seat and the picture taking stops. By the time we made it back to the resort we were ready to sit down to a warm meal and then relax for awhile before going for an nice evening stroll along the river walk. But, if you're the energizer bunny, probably no biggie...😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alphen said:

We are doing the Y1 triple Denali. In Dawson it is stated that there is an upgrade possible for a Klondike Spirit cruise, but nowhere it is found how to get this upgrade and what te price is?

Can’t help much on this, although I will say we were offered the opportunity to book optional excursions while we were traveling on the road.

Our itinerary when we did the Yukon was different than what they offer now. We did 21 days and there was not the plane hopping from place to place. We flew to Seattle, then to Juneau, took Allen Marine to Skagway (really a whale watching cruise), spent the night in Skagway and took the White Pass into Canada then bused to Whitehorse. Then a bus to Dawson for 2 nights. When we left Dawson City for Fairbanks we took the boat to Eagle (included) then got picked up by the HAL bus, went down to Chicken and to Tok and on to Fairbanks. 

Which ship will you be on?

St Louis Sal

7 minutes ago, St. Louis Sal said:

Can’t help much on this, although I will say we were offered the opportunity to book optional excursions while we were traveling on the road.

Our itinerary when we did the Yukon was different than what they offer now. We did 21 days and there was not the plane hopping from place to place. We flew to Seattle, then to Juneau, took Allen Marine to Skagway (really a whale watching cruise), spent the night in Skagway and took the White Pass into Canada then bused to Whitehorse. Then a bus to Dawson for 2 nights. When we left Dawson City for Fairbanks we took the boat to Eagle (included) then got picked up by the HAL bus, went down to Chicken and to Tok and on to Fairbanks. 

St Louis Sal

The Yukon Queen to Eagle.  We did it in reverse and loved the adventure!  Those were the “good ole days”.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alphen said:

This will all be sorted out eventually.  Your “journey host” will be able to sign you up for excursions, assuming there is time.   There was also an excursions desk in the Westmark in Dawson City.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GrandmaOhio said:

When we did the land sea cruise we did the cruise first. I will agree if we do it again we will do the land first. The bus ride from the ship to Denali was long. We had talked about the ATV tour that first evening. After the long bus ride we decided to go to the Dinner Show. We were assigned Wilderness Tour times. Ours was around 2PM. That put us back at the lodge after 10PM! Just about the only option for food was the Steak House at the lodge, as they kept a crew for the late returning tours.

1 hour ago, Trapper44 said:

When we did the land sea cruise we did the cruise first. I will agree if we do it again we will do the land first. The bus ride from the ship to Denali was long. We had talked about the ATV tour that first evening. After the long bus ride we decided to go to the Dinner Show. We were assigned Wilderness Tour times. Ours was around 2PM. That put us back at the lodge after 10PM! Just about the only option for food was the Steak House at the lodge, as they kept a crew for the late returning tours.

You took a bus from the ship straight to Denali? That must have been exhausting. You didn’t get to spend a night in Anchorage or take the train to Denali?

I think my DH would have preferred that 2 pm Wilderness Tour, he’s not a early riser!

St Louis Sal

1 hour ago, St. Louis Sal said:

You took a bus from the ship straight to Denali? That must have been exhausting. You didn’t get to spend a night in Anchorage or take the train to Denali?

I think my DH would have preferred that 2 pm Wilderness Tour, he’s not a early riser!

St Louis Sal

The 9-hour bus ride from Seward to Denali makes restroom stops about every 90 minutes.  The first stop restrooms were limited and depressing (some passengers just used the bathroom on the bus rather than standing in a long line).  The lunch buffet stop was excellent, especially the unlimited chocolate chip cookies.  Lots of sleeping time on the bus after getting up very early on Disembarkation Day.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, St. Louis Sal said:

St Louis Sal

Nieuw Amsterdam, after the land portion.

9 hours ago, oaktreerb said:

This will all be sorted out eventually.  Your “journey host” will be able to sign you up for excursions, assuming there is time.   There was also an excursions desk in the Westmark in Dawson City.

Thank you, have been informing with HAL (Rotterdam), but so far had no answer.

On 8/9/2021 at 9:31 PM, Crew News said:

The 9-hour bus ride from Seward to Denali makes restroom stops about every 90 minutes.  The first stop restrooms were limited and depressing (some passengers just used the bathroom on the bus rather than standing in a long line).  The lunch buffet stop was excellent, especially the unlimited chocolate chip cookies.  Lots of sleeping time on the bus after getting up very early on Disembarkation Day.

This is why we specifically booked the tour with the train instead of the bus. Only bus from Denali to Fairbanks and of course the Tundra Wilderness Tour

Speaking of the Tundra Wilderness Tour it shows us leaving at 6 AM which is not very nice of them. Is there breakfast of some sort at this hour? Also sounds like they sell box lunches as well? 

40 minutes ago, zgscl said:

This is why we specifically booked the tour with the train instead of the bus. Only bus from Denali to Fairbanks and of course the Tundra Wilderness Tour

Speaking of the Tundra Wilderness Tour it shows us leaving at 6 AM which is not very nice of them. Is there breakfast of some sort at this hour? Also sounds like they sell box lunches as well? 

Karsten's House Restaurant hours:

Opening hours
Sunday 6AM-10PM
Monday 7AM-10PM
Tuesday 7AM-10PM
Wednesday 7AM-10PM
Thursday 7AM-10PM
Friday 7AM-10PM
Saturday 7AM-10PM

FWIW The window for the TWT boarding starts at 6:oo AM and rungs throughout the day.It is my experience that you will not know when your Tundra Wilderness Tour begins until just before arriving at the park when you receive your park itinerary.

The tour provides a snack box with cheese, cookies, nuts, meat sticks, crackers, candy, etc to be found on your bus seat when boarding.  Free bottles of water are available on the bus, too.  The $20+  box lunch can be ordered the night before and picked up at the Main Lodge on the day of your tour.  The dry sandwich, chips, and a piece of fruit was a big zero to all of those that purchased it.  Bring a few granola bars and you will be fine until you get back for dinner. You can also buy some snacks at the stores next to the Karsten's House restaurant.

Tip:  Don't be near the last to board the bus or you will be left sitting over the wheel wells with your knees about chest high.  Also grab a seat right behind one of the TV monitors so you can see what the driver is zooming on when wildlife is spotted.

IMG_1407-2.jpg

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Crew News said:

FWIW The window for the TWT boarding starts at 6:oo AM and rungs throughout the day.It is my experience that you will not know when your Tundra Wilderness Tour begins until just before arriving at the park when you receive your park itinerary.

The tour provides a snack box with cheese, cookies, nuts, meat sticks, crackers, candy, etc to be found on your bus seat when boarding.  Free bottles of water are available on the bus, too.  The $20+  box lunch can be ordered the night before and picked up at the Main Lodge on the day of your tour.  The dry sandwich, chips, and a piece of fruit was a big zero to all of those that purchased it.  Bring a few granola bars and you will be fine until you get back for dinner. You can also buy some snacks at the stores next to the Karsten's House restaurant.

Tip:  Don't be near the last to board the bus or you will be left sitting over the wheel wells with your knees about chest high.  Also grab a seat right behind one of the TV monitors so you can see what the driver is zooming on when wildlife is spotted.

IMG_1407-2.jpg

Fantastic advice, THANK YOU!! I am 6'4 and will fit very poorly over the wheel wells. 

1 minute ago, zgscl said:

Fantastic advice, THANK YOU!! I am 6'4 and will fit very poorly over the wheel wells. 

Opening hours
Sunday 6AM-10PM
Monday 7AM-10PM
Tuesday 7AM-10PM
Wednesday 7AM-10PM
Thursday 7AM-10PM
Friday 7AM-10PM
Saturday 7AM-10PM
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Crew News said:

Opening hours
Sunday 6AM-10PM
Monday 7AM-10PM
Tuesday 7AM-10PM
Wednesday 7AM-10PM
Thursday 7AM-10PM
Friday 7AM-10PM
Saturday 7AM-10PM

You can grab an apple for the TWT even if you are just eating the continental breakfast.

The Canyon Steak House in the main lodge has a nice dessert:

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/mckinley-lodge/IMG_1388-2.jpg

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 1

We did the 10 day Denali land & cruise tour in 2017.  We did the land tour first and would do the same if we ever go again.  We would also do a longer land tour as that was truly the best part of the trip.  Denali was amazing.  We loved McKinley Chalet, were lucky enough to be in the newest accommodations there.  The F& B service was great and the excursions into Denali and hiking in the area were wonderful.  The Grizzly bear circling our bus was quite interesting in Denali!!!!😱😁