Anyone test positive at the pier ???

Shippy

We are (hopefully) cruising on the Meraviglia next month.

We are fully vaccinated but know we must still get tested at the pier.

If you have no symptoms but test positive, what happens to you ?

I have heard you get your cruise money back but then, what ??

Are you free to leave ??? Are you taken somewhere & forced to quarantine ?

If so, I would assume it would be a designated hotel.....probably at great expense.

Just trying to make contingency plans as we have to travel cross country.

Any first hand info would be appreciated.

thanks

2 hours ago, Shippy said:

We are fully vaccinated but know we must still get tested at the pier.

I have heard you get your cruise money back but then, what ??

Are you free to leave ??? Are you taken somewhere & forced to quarantine ?

If so, I would assume it would be a designated hotel.....probably at great expense.

Just trying to make contingency plans as we have to travel cross country.

Any first hand info would be appreciated.

thanks

This scenario wold be a nightmare. I've had 5 cruises cancelled over the last 1 1/2 years and am so looking forward to this one. I'm vaccinated and so is my roommate. She is retired and says she's not leaving her house the 2 weeks prior to the sailing..lol..I don't have that luxury, I'm a manager at Disney World and will be working right up till the day before we leave. Needless to say I will be wearing my mask from now to embarkation. Inquiring if I can get a booster of the Pfizer vax, which I have gotten earlier this year. Not being offered as of yet but If offered I'll be first in line.

30 minutes ago, miataman19 said:

This scenario wold be a nightmare. I've had 5 cruises cancelled over the last 1 1/2 years and am so looking forward to this one. I'm vaccinated and so is my roommate. She is retired and says she's not leaving her house the 2 weeks prior to the sailing..lol..I don't have that luxury, I'm a manager at Disney World and will be working right up till the day before we leave. Needless to say I will be wearing my mask from now to embarkation. Inquiring if I can get a booster of the Pfizer vax, which I have gotten earlier this year. Not being offered as of yet but If offered I'll be first in line.

We also got Pfizer but I feel confident in its effects, at least until the end of the year.

We have to fly from San Francisco to Miami. We are coming in 2 days early.

I am a bit concerned because it seems Florida is such a mess right now.

We are staying in the Yacht Club on MSC. Just dreaming of a cocktail on the pool deck.....

Our TA told us this morning that 2 of her vaccinated passengers sailing on MSC went and got their own test prior to going to the port and found out they were positive. MSC wanted them to come to the port to be tested again. Her clients, wisely, refused to jeopardized other passengers, filled out the health questionnaire and provided the cruise line with positive  test result and was issued a FCC.

9 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Our TA told us this morning that 2 of her vaccinated passengers sailing on MSC went and got their own test prior to going to the port and found out they were positive. MSC wanted them to come to the port to be tested again. Her clients, wisely, refused to jeopardized other passengers, filled out the health questionnaire and provided the cruise line with positive  test result and was issued a FCC.

Some of the other cruiselines actually accept a test that you can get ahead of time.

Since MSC does not, we will wait till we are at the pier.

21 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Yikes!

Why on earth would someone schlep to the port, contagion aside, just to be be officially rejected??? Is MSC just rolling the dice in hopes of a pre-port false positive, allowing them to keep the cash?

This, of course, says nothing about the expense incurred by would-be cruisers getting to the port, in order to accommodate MSC's request.

Edited by no1talks
Spelling.

This is starting to worry me and we have just begun sailings out of the US.

Why do I think we may start to hear many horror stories of people not cruising and racking up huge expenses to get home. False positives and asymptomatic are real and although slight- quite possible for the fully vaccinated.

For me, personally, it is becoming more and more clear I may have to stay close to home if I am going to give this cruise thing a whirl.☹️

I love the Florida weather, NOLA is the best cruise port ever and NY is expensive as all heck most of the time. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.🥴

1 hour ago, Shippy said:

Some of the other cruiselines actually accept a test that you can get ahead of time.

Since MSC does not, we will wait till we are at the pier.

Perhaps you misunderstand my post. These are MSC passengers who understand that they would be tested by MSC for free when they got to the port like everyone else. But to be on the 'safe side', being vaccinated, they did not want to fly into town early , get a hotel and find out at the port they were positive. So they got their own test just to be sure. The good news is that MSC accepted their positive result and gave them FCC without their having to come to the port and be turned away.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Per cruise line policy, they should have been issued a refund if they had wanted it assuming this was a Caribbean/Bahamas cruise. The cruise line may have wanted to give their own test which is why the FCC.

Sailings on or before October 31, 2021 will be provided MSC Cruises COVID-19 Reassurance at no extra charge (with required proof of vaccination) as it relates to COVID-19 protection services.

Full coverage is here: https://www.msccruisesusa.com/-/media/usa/documents/insurance_final.pdf

4 minutes ago, cruiseguyinorl said:

Per cruise line policy, they should have been issued a refund if they had wanted it assuming this was a Caribbean/Bahamas cruise. The cruise line may have wanted to give their own test which is why the FCC.

You are probably right. But these passengers did not want the hassle, nor possibly infect everyone on the way to this vacation and just accepted the FCC. I thought that was admirable of them.

1 hour ago, morpheusofthesea said:

You are probably right. But these passengers did not want the hassle, nor possibly infect everyone on the way to this vacation and just accepted the FCC. I thought that was admirable of them.

I agree.  The FCC (with price increases) will in the end be worth less than the full refund.  I personally wouldn’t do it, but then I only have a short drive Port Canaveral, Port Everglades, or Port Miami.

2 hours ago, cruiseguyinorl said:

Could you ask if MSC has any details about these insurance policies, rather than just this general overview link?  There should be an actual policy available.  I can't understand how MSC can be selling these insurance policies without providing any specifics.  I attached a copy of the old policy details below, this type of information is what I'm looking for.

Genarali MSC Insurance G452_Policy.pdf

Edited by Até

1 hour ago, Até said:

Could you ask if MSC has any details about these insurance policies, rather than just this general overview link?  There should be an actual policy available.  I can't understand how MSC can be selling these insurance policies without providing any specifics.  I attached a copy of the old policy details below, this type of information is what I'm looking for.

@Até I provided a different document on this other thread.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, miataman19 said:

Us, too.

8 minutes ago, CheapieD said:

Is this Reassurance policy for vaccinated guests something we have to opt it to or sign up for? or will MSC enroll us once we submit proof of vaccine. (we are past final payment)

That is a good question.  I would assume it is retroactive and MSC will give the basic Reassurance policy to all bookings once they agree to the current Terms & Conditions and supply them with a copy of your vaccination card.  I've received an email for an older booking asking me to agree and submit my info at check-in, it states vaccinated passengers will get that policy.  So far there has been no specific information nor insurance certificate for that Reassurance policy, so I haven't yet filled out the forms nor agreed.

On 8/9/2021 at 12:18 PM, Shippy said:

Have you read the protocols on the website?  "If you test positive, you will be denied boarding along with any/all not fully vaccinated members of your traveling party. If anyone in your traveling party is fully vaccinated and non-symptomatic, they will be permitted to board. Your vaccination card must be shown at embarkation or else boarding will be denied."      Full information here:  https://www.msccruisesusa.com/health-and-safety-measures/caribbean-cruises 

38 minutes ago, CheapieD said:

Is this Reassurance policy for vaccinated guests something we have to opt it to or sign up for? or will MSC enroll us once we submit proof of vaccine. (we are past final payment)

MSC Cruises Travel & COVID-19 Reassurance For Fully Vaccinated Guests Only:  

Sailings on or before October 31, 2021 will be provided MSC Cruises COVID-19 Reassurance at no extra charge (with required proof of vaccination) as it relates to COVID-19 protection services. View description coverage/policy here.

10 minutes ago, maureencruiser said:

Have you read the protocols on the website?  "If you test positive, you will be denied boarding along with any/all not fully vaccinated members of your traveling party. If anyone in your traveling party is fully vaccinated and non-symptomatic, they will be permitted to board. Your vaccination card must be shown at embarkation or else boarding will be denied."      Full information here:  https://www.msccruisesusa.com/health-and-safety-measures/caribbean-cruises 

Hmmm.

I thought the procedure was to administer the better test as a follow-up to a rapid-test positive. Then, if that test was also positive, boarding is denied.

Either I imaged that, or the follow-up test on a pier positive has been dropped.

46 minutes ago, maureencruiser said:

MSC Cruises Travel & COVID-19 Reassurance For Fully Vaccinated Guests Only:  

Sailings on or before October 31, 2021 will be provided MSC Cruises COVID-19 Reassurance at no extra charge (with required proof of vaccination) as it relates to COVID-19 protection services. View description coverage/policy here.

The MSC site also has the Total CruiseFlex area that states:

TOTAL CRUISEFLEX

Flexible booking changes up to 48 hours prior to your cruise.
Valid on bookings through September 30, 2021 for cruises departing through September 30, 2022 

But in reality bookings made before August 5th, 2020 do not qualify.  There are currently no real insurance documents being provided by MSC US.

P.S. What's up with your signature?

Edited by Até

32 minutes ago, no1talks said:

Either I imaged that, or the follow-up test on a pier positive has been dropped.

The PCR test 72 hours before embarkation is only for non-vaccinated.  Everybody gets an antigen test at embarkation.  Most all the cruise lines are backing up a positive antigen test with a PCR test to verify.

35 minutes ago, Até said:

The MSC site also has the Total CruiseFlex area that states:

TOTAL CRUISEFLEX

Flexible booking changes up to 48 hours prior to your cruise.
Valid on bookings through September 30, 2021 for cruises departing through September 30, 2022 

But in reality bookings made before August 5th, 2020 do not qualify.  There are currently no real insurance documents being provided by MSC US.

P.S. What's up with your signature?

I don't know,  is it weird, lol? I thought CC did away with the signatures,  I used to enjoy having the countdown clock, etc. I'm on my phone now, I'll see what's up with the signature. 

33 minutes ago, Até said:

The PCR test 72 hours before embarkation is only for non-vaccinated.  Everybody gets an antigen test at embarkation.  Most all the cruise lines are backing up a positive antigen test with a PCR test to verify.

Yeah...how does that work? If you test positive with rapid, if they give you a PCR then the ship will be gone by the time the results come in, right?