Cruise ship docking in Venice

Riversedge

We are supposed to embark on the Eurodam from Venice on Sept 12.  I know that Venice has banned cruise ships from docking.  We have gotten no updates from HAL.   Does anyone know if any ships are allowed to dock in Porto Marghera now?  I think MSC is using Monfalcone which is 90 minutes away.  Does anyone have any insight into what is going to happen now?

42 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

One popular option is staying mum until after final payment..

A September cruise is well past final payment already.........

HAL is not listed on the Venice port schedule, but strangely MSC Orchestra and Magnifica are listed.

Trieste is a possibility as that was scheduled as the embarkation port for the inaugural cruise of the new Rotterdam.  I'm hoping for Maghera tho' 🤞

13 hours ago, mapleleaves said:

The sailing before yours was Athens - Venice but it is now ending in Trieste,  so that is probably where you will board.

Have you checked your Roll Call ? or the one before ?

I check the roll calls before and after our cruise multiple times daily because I think I’ll find out info there faster than waiting for my TA.  One person on the roll call before ours said their Navigator says Trieste and another one says it reads Venice.  The HAL booking site says Venice.   I guess we will eventually find out. I was curious if anyone living in Venice has seen any cruise ships docked at Porto Marghera. 

We have the same issue for our October 16 Oceania Marina sailing out of Venice.  Our final payment date is on Tuesday, and nobody on our roll call or the previous cruise has been told anything other than "there have been no changes to your itinerary.  If there are changes you will be among the first to be notified."  

Tom & Judy

1 hour ago, TFree said:

We have the same issue for our October 16 Oceania Marina sailing out of Venice.  Our final payment date is on Tuesday, and nobody on our roll call or the previous cruise has been told anything other than "there have been no changes to your itinerary.  If there are changes you will be among the first to be notified."  

Tom & Judy

I see Oceania Riviera on the Ravenna port schedule for 26th October 2021, but no other calls for Oceania (or other) ships at that port.

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

I see Oceania Riviera on the Ravenna port schedule for 26th October 2021, but no other calls for Oceania (or other) ships at that port.

I just checked, and Oceania Riviera is scheduled to make a port stop on Oct. 26, prior to continuing on to Venice for an overnight stop.  So I don't think that will provide any guidance, other than to note that Oceania has a relationship with the port in Ravenna.

Tom & Judy

I just read that Silversea Silver Shadow will be using the Fusina Ferry Terminal for its Venice sailings (see below).  Fusina is at the southern edge of the Marghera area [don't kill me for being vague on this geography!] and I assume is approached through the Marghera channel across the lagoon.  Connections from Fusina to Venice include a ferry (25 min), taxi (20 min) and train (a little over 1 hour).  Taxi from airport to Fusina 22 min (or a long ferry ride – almost 3 hours – that includes a complete sightseeing loup around Murano, Lido and – wait for it – down the Giudecca Canal).  This seems like a much better alternative than Ravenna or Trieste (or the industrial part of Marghera). 

Size does matter:  Silver Shadow is only 28,258 tons.  Big enough for the Marittima ban but apparently small enough for the ferry terminal.  I wonder what the cutoff for the ferry terminal is?

Non of NCL's ships are small enough to enter the canal and port in Venice.  Until NCL makes other arrangements and decides to share them you're going to be left hanging, I'm afraid.

FWIW, NCL is not alone in continuing to list Venice as a port, other cruise lines are doing the same thing.

Edited by euro cruiser

• 4 weeks later...

I really am thankful I took my trip in 2019 with an overnight in Venice on Vision of the Seas. Not only because of Covid, but because of the banning of the ships. I so thoroughly enjoyed just walking around and not having to care about getting back to the ship at a certain time that first night because it wasn't going anywhere. 😘  And Venice at night just had such an amazing feel to it. If ships won't be allowed to port there, it will make any future Mediterranean cruises a little easier. I'll just fly to Venice post cruise and spend a few days there when the cruise is over. 😁

On 8/18/2021 at 3:15 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

I wonder what the cutoff for the ferry terminal is?

Maybe a floating cello or double bass? They permitted the floating violin

The New York Times piece by Elisabette Povoledo, and I still can't figure out exactly what the point of it is, each time I see it on the news or in print, I'm flummoxed. Culture and partial transit on the canal? I'd like to see the gondoliers steer one of them down the back canals but then they are sooooo good at manoeuvering the gondolas, they probably could pivot a 3/4 violin to just about anywhere in Venice. 

While there's a particular scene from a two episode arc in the Amazon Prime series, Mozart in the Jungle, wherein Monica Belluci and Placido Domingo duet on two floating platforms that join together near Accademia Bridge, they looked much more stable while performing a piece from Don Giovanni (maybe lip synching) than these musicians do while playing on the curved floating instrument. 

Maybe classical instrument transit from port could be a thing. Violin or vaporetto?

And I don't mean to make light of the situation. Hopefully, updates and information will be shared when travel starts to look clearer again. Perhaps this additional time (we can hope) to sort out a solution (??) for travelers and Venetians alike, many of whom depend upon tourism for the local economy. Italy isn't renowned for it's rapid bureaucratic actions, but most countries will be eager for the tourist euro/dollar/sterling/yen etc. and quick(er) to act. We hope.

10 minutes ago, Host Bonjour said:

Maybe a floating cello or double bass? They permitted the floating violin

The New York Times piece by Elisabette Povoledo, and I still can't figure out exactly what the point of it is, each time I see it on the news or in print, I'm flummoxed.

The Italian spirit yet lives and breathes in Venice. This is something that seems so quintessentially Italian that it almost brings tears to the eyes. Never mind how whimsical or inscrutable it may seem to the rest of the world, to Italians it is "un segno" (a sign) of their psyche.

When I was in Venice about 3 years ago, this was the latest statement:

image.thumb.png.5e06f02282ec4265e731056e0c93295f.png

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

When I was in Venice about 3 years ago, this was the latest statement:

image.thumb.png.5e06f02282ec4265e731056e0c93295f.png

Right? It's Italy. This is how they do. This is everything. 😍🤩

I'd like to think the masters would approve, albeit at first maybe a bit taken aback but then like, si... si... si... si!!!!

Thanks for sharing this, it made my eyeballs and my heart happy 🙂