What happens if U.S. Citizens cannot travel to departure port?

hurley7

I am booked on an October 14th sailing out of Rome with stops in Croatia, Greece, and Italy.  My question is this.  What happens if U.S. citizens are not allowed entry into Italy/Greece?  Would NCL automatically cancel or are there probably enough passengers booked of other nationalities, that the cruise would go forward and I would be forced to cancel?  Would love everyone's opinions because my final payment is due this week.  

Also, am I correct in my understanding that if NCL cancels the cruise I can get a monetary refund, but if I cancel the cruise, I must accept the FCC?

Thank you so much for your help! 

17 minutes ago, hurley7 said:

I am booked on an October 14th sailing out of Rome with stops in Croatia, Greece, and Italy.  My question is this.  What happens if U.S. citizens are not allowed entry into Italy/Greece?  Would NCL automatically cancel or are there probably enough passengers booked of other nationalities, that the cruise would go forward and I would be forced to cancel?  Would love everyone's opinions because my final payment is due this week.  

Also, am I correct in my understanding that if NCL cancels the cruise I can get a monetary refund, but if I cancel the cruise, I must accept the FCC?

You are correct about "if you cancel vs if NCL cancels" and your refund/credit.

The main question is one of those...you'll find out when it happens kind of things, imho.

im not sure if my last post came thru.. i dont think t he issue is with ncl or what nationality its passengers are. your airline or the us state dept should know if greece and italy are letting people in, and under what conditions.  if the ship departs from greece, the port is either closed in its entirety, or not closed.  i dont believe either greece or italy check the nationality of the cruise passengers, its who enters the country. we're booked on the getaway nov 24 thru dec 5th and i have reservations at a hotel in greece 3 days prior to sailing and in rome 3 days post.

regardless, rather then cancel the entire cruise, they may change the itinerary. if this is the case and they cant sail from greece, i'm sure they will give more than sufficient notice so youcanmake an informed decision

5 hours ago, hurley7 said:

I’m going to guess this in the Sail Safe policy covers that:

Will I be issued a refund if I am denied entry to the country where the voyage originates (port of embarkation)?

If a guest, or member of their party, is denied entry to the country due to a positive COVID-19 test within 2 weeks of their sail date, they will be permitted to apply the full value of all amounts paid to a future cruise credit or, at the guest’s discretion, be provided a cash refund.

If a guest is denied entry due to non-compliance with travel requirements and/or health and safety protocols a refund will not be provided.

If you can’t get into the country because they have banned particular nationalities,  I assume you would get FCC or a refund. 

Not sure what happens if you are allowed into Italy but banned from disembarking Greece. 

Edited by soloscientist
  • Like 1

I have the same question but regarding a sailing after the "Peace of Mind" period ends.  I live in Spain and am due to sail from Miami in December. Currently EU/UK residents are not allowed in to USA, if that continues I assume that I will have to cancel and lose my deposit  (EU terms) because I won't have tested positive but the ship will still sail. My insurance wouldn't pay either in these circumstances 

10 hours ago, SpainAlien said:

I have the same question but regarding a sailing after the "Peace of Mind" period ends.  I live in Spain and am due to sail from Miami in December. Currently EU/UK residents are not allowed in to USA, if that continues I assume that I will have to cancel and lose my deposit  (EU terms) because I won't have tested positive but the ship will still sail. My insurance wouldn't pay either in these circumstances 

Can you cancel now and get a full refund since you are so far out?

I live in Norway so this may or may not apply in other countries, but here refund through your travel insurance because of cancellation done by yourself in cases where the flight or the cruise is happening, just "without you"  because of one the following reasons 1. You are not allowed entry to the country that is the destination of your travel or 2. The Covid-19 numbers at the country that is your travel destination is so high that the official travel advice from your home country is to not travel to that particular destination, solely depends on what the official travel advice was at the time of your booking. If your destination was Covid-19 "green" at the time of booking the trip, and now is "red" - then you are entitled 100% refund in cases where the airline or cruise line doesn't do a refund. Same if the destination country of your booked trip doesn't let you enter because you arrive from one of several countries that are not allowed to enter due to local Covid-19 regulations: If you were allowed to enter at your planned destination country at time of booking and now this has changed, then you are also entitled a 100% refund. 

All of the above of course only in cases where you have a financial loss from either the airline or the cruiseline (or others) that is not reimbursed because of late cancellation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, craig01020 said:

My opinion is that you should ask Norwegian directly instead of polling us. What we say doesn't matter.

I realize that NCL has the final say, but oftentimes people on this board are better informed than the random people that answer the phones at the call center.  Thank you.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, hurley7 said:

I realize that NCL has the final say, but oftentimes people on this board are better informed than the random people that answer the phones at the call center.

And oftentimes, people on this board don't really know anything, but still post random answers like they're getting paid by the word. Then the OP has several non-answers to choose from.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, craig01020 said:

And oftentimes, people on this board don't really know anything, but still post random answers like they're getting paid by the word. Then the OP has several non-answers to choose from.

And while it's certainly true that sometimes people on here do know better than some of the call center staff, at least with the cruise line you have some chance at getting a refund/FCC or some other perk if you get bad advice. Not once in 9 years of being on this site have I seen another poster agree to compensate someone for a loss due to someone else's bad advice. Always take what you read here with a grain of salt. At the end of the day, you're on your own.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2021 at 10:51 AM, hurley7 said:

Thanks to everyone for the helpful information.  I believe we are going to "roll the dice" and make the final payment this week.  

See you on board.  We'll be sailing with you.  

On 8/10/2021 at 6:57 AM, SpainAlien said:

You have another choice, I am in the same situation for my October Alaska.

If you spend 14 day away from you home country you can then enter the US, In my case I was going to spend 2 weeks in Mexico until they went on the UK red list, now I intend to spend 2 weeks in Canada (assuming they open on 7th September as planned) and then, once my 14 day is up fly into Seattle for my cruise. I can fly directly home.
If not Canada, there are a host of other countries I can use.

The US has not banned your home country, they have only banned you if you have been there in the last 14 days.

You just have to continue to be mindful of cancellation deadlines (based on EU terms). 

Not the same, but this time of year in America, we often are faced with Hurricanes that affect cruises. Historically, NCL has had no sympathy if your flight is cancelled, but the ship sails (on schedule or not). We have intentionally flown early into oncoming storms to make sure that we are in the departure city for our cruise. 

• Like 1